Jalen at critical times of the games | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jalen at critical times of the games

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I can’t blame Adams for anything. He plays 38 minutes a game on one of the worst-coached teams in America.

Does he throw up bad shots? Yes because he has to. He can’t wait for the offense to develop to get Vital or Carlton a good look, because that won’t happen.

Reaction Score
Jalen did not lose the game (although he continues to shoot about 35% which is not good enough). The TEAM lost the game. All you need to know about today is (A) we hit 3 threes and they hit 12 PLUS (B) they had 17 offensive rebounds and outrebounded us by about 15 in the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
All Jalen has to do is play every single minute and direct every single possession. He may be the only person associated with the UConn basketball program who is actually not awful at what he does.

He has no help. Zero. There isn’t one player on the court that he can rely on to do anything. Everyone on the court knows what UConn is going to do and he still has to go out and somehow run through five defenders a few dozen times a game.

If you want to see what he’s worth, wait until he sprains an ankle or something...it’ll make the Arkansas game look like the good old days. Let someone else run Captain Catastrophe’s offense of doom and see how that goes.

This.

Amazing. Of all the things to complain about , Adams isn’t one.

I would have liked to have seen him improve on his shot, but he’s just plain asked to do too much. And I think it even goes beyond what we see.

It’s sad really. He’s incredibly talenetes. Even with
His shortcomings, I think he could score every time down the court. He’s still got time to be a special player, but the team that’s around him isn’t going to ever allow hiM to have a special season.

Reaction Score
Jalen is a hybrid 1-2. So while ok at both, he is a tweener. And as for the occasional brain fart, if you've ever played the game, you know that happens especially when fatigue sets in. Some question his conditioning. I see a kid who never gets to sit and rest (much). He's a solid college guard who realizes that unless he or Larrier go off, there aren't any other offensive options. Don't get the hating on Jalen. There are no other offensive options.
Finally someone who gets it. All these Boneyard experts don't have a clue about his conditioning. He plays the whole game and they wonder why he doesn't have legs left to make shots in the last few minutes. He has been doing this the entire season. It must be the fault of the S & C coach.No, it is the number of minutes he has to play.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Finally someone who gets it. All these Boneyard experts don't have a clue about his conditioning. He plays the whole game and they wonder why he doesn't have legs left to make shots in the last few minutes. He has been doing this the entire season. It must be the fault of the S & C coach.No, it is the number of minutes he has to play.

He's playing almost the same number as both Kemba and Shabazz did their Jr years. Shabazz played 2+ minutes less his senior year.

Reaction Score
Mau attacking and lecturing Matrim and Fishy in this thread, talk about a mismatch.

Reaction Score
This.

Amazing. Of all the things to complain about , Adams isn’t one.

I would have liked to have seen him improve on his shot, but he’s just plain asked to do too much. And I think it even goes beyond what we see.

It’s sad really. He’s incredibly talenetes. Even with
His shortcomings, I think he could score every time down the court. He’s still got time to be a special player, but the team that’s around him isn’t going to ever allow hiM to have a special season.
Adams' NBA stock has fallen like a rock. He's not ready and he can thank the bonehead in charge for ruining his career. His development as a player has been stunted and is arguably regressing. He could do a lot more if he wasn't effectively asked to do everything by virtue of a nonexistent offense with no alternative scoring threats other than Larrier (sometimes). This lack of care and feeding of top prospects who expect to be groomed for the next level also impacts future recruiting greatly.

Reaction Score
Mau attacking and lecturing Matrim and Fishy in this thread, talk about a mismatch.

I've disagreed with Mau on other players like Brimah, but he's right here. People who think Jalen is playing great basketball right now simply aren't watching the games. I actually think his assessment is a bit generous. He's been a bad defensive player for a season and a half now. If he was so great on offense we wouldn't have ranked 154th and 196th in adjusted offensive the last two seasons, respectively. Defenses switch big men onto him consistently because he can't make them pay with jump shots. He's hardly even a threat from three, which is kind of really important when you're a point guard in the modern game. He hasn't developed a mid-range game, he over-penetrates and gets caught, he's extremely lazy as a passer and cutter away from the ball, and he provides little value as a spot up shooter.

People thought Jalen was carrying last years team and slammed the three seniors. Now those guys are gone and the team is somehow even worse despite adding Larrier and for a while Gilbert. By no means are we better without him, but I don't know how many variables we have to account for before a common denominator smacks us in the face here. He's not a winning player. He's so far behind Ryan Boatright right now, forget Shabazz or Kemba. The fact that it is a poorly coached team is true but it's also a crutch. Scouts who were at the game today aren't saying "wow, Jalen Adams is really held back by Kevin Ollie!," they were saying "yikes, this kid is still making high school mistakes at 22."

Reaction Score
Jalen was 7-20, 0-3 from 3, 4 steals, 5 rebounds and 6 assists, 18 points. It’s actually not a bad looking line.
How many of the teams 11 turnovers were his?

Reaction Score
I've disagreed with Mau on other players like Brimah, but he's right here. People who think Jalen is playing great basketball right now simply aren't watching the games. I actually think his assessment is a bit generous. He's been a bad defensive player for a season and a half now. If he was so great on offense we wouldn't have ranked 154th and 196th in adjusted offensive the last two seasons, respectively. Defenses switch big men onto him consistently because he can't make them pay with jump shots. He's hardly even a threat from three, which is kind of really important when you're a point guard in the modern game. He hasn't developed a mid-range game, he over-penetrates and gets caught, he's extremely lazy as a passer and cutter away from the ball, and he provides little value as a spot up shooter.

People thought Jalen was carrying last years team and slammed the three seniors. Now those guys are gone and the team is somehow even worse despite adding Larrier and for a while Gilbert. By no means are we better without him, but I don't know how many variables we have to account for before a common denominator smacks us in the face here. He's not a winning player. He's so far behind Ryan Boatright right now, forget Shabazz or Kemba. The fact that it is a poorly coached team is true but it's also a crutch. Scouts who were at the game today aren't saying "wow, Jalen Adams is really held back by Kevin Ollie!," they were saying "yikes, this kid is still making high school mistakes at 22."

My "angry" thoughts were fueled by a nice party in Hartford (and Agawam and Feeding Hills lol) so for that I apologize, to Matrim. Actually Jalen was pretty good for the most part, but defensive lapses weren't all him, they were on all the guards. Get a little sick of having good shooters on the other team and not finding them. And when they do they are too far off so their first reaction is to jump out try to block the shot which is wonderful for good shooters like Frankampf and Reaves, and of course Shamet yesterday because they are patient ball fake let them fly by and a wide open 3 is now theirs. It happened numerous times and that is pain stupid defense, losing your guy instead of going out under control base wide and making him shoot it with a hand in his face. Yes Jalen did it a couple of times but so did the other 2 as well as others. Carlton did it once too, suddenly we have a bunch of shot blockers but instead they are making the game easier for their men.

They played hard, Jalen was all over the boards as were all the guards helping the bigs fight for rebounds thought the effort was real good. Just not enough guys who can score the ball. Anderson is now nothing on the offensive end, the bigs don't post up well enough to throw them the ball so yeah the big 3 of hope are Larrier and Vital with Jalen. Oh yeah 39 minutes and 3 rebounds once again, unacceptable for Larrier. I like that he got 20 shots, hell he has to.

And yes WSU comes out of time out and are playing defense, but when they get the ball Marshall sets up a great play which works like a charm and is noticeable. Still waiting for one of those on our end!

Reaction Score
Let's get real. Jalen has an awful shot. He was 3-10 today. He can't make the 12 foot jumper consistently. He can't make the three consistently. If it wasn't for his ability to get to the rim, he wouldn't start.
Love Jalen driving to the hoop. Incredible he can not make a jump shot! It has to be confidence. Drive it Jalen!

Reaction Score
People have an issue with Adams because of some glaring deficiencies:

1. It doesn't look like he works out. He lacks definition and seems more like a a player from the 70's or 80's in terms of build. For all I know, it's his body type and he lifts like a maniac. Regardless, he doesn't look like it.

2. He can't shoot. He has decent form yet is terribly inconsistent. That's a practice issue. Shoot 500-1000 jumpers per day, it is worth millions of dollars to you kid.

3. He seems to complain or argue with KO. I'm not sure what that's about, but I don't like it. Respect the coach, even if he doesn't know what he's doing. I understand Jalen's frustration in this area, just saying.

4. His body language and facial expressions are very flat. He gives off a pot head vibe. He needs to show fire to keep his teammates motivated and keep the fans engaged.

5. His defense is ok, but he seems to lose his man for 3 at the worst times. He could be tired, but it still frustrates me to see blown assignments at such big moments over and over again.

6. He doesn't seem to be a strong leader. He is clearly our best player, but he doesn't have a calming effect on the team. He lacks the "extension of the coach on the floor" trait. Again, I'm not so sure Shabazz was a "coach on the floor" either, he was just able to stick a jumper in your face when we needed a basket. That would be nice to see from Jalen.

If you want to see a real turn around on this team next year, the greatest thing that could happen would be for Jalen to return with a lights out jump shot. It is 100% doable and both he and the staff should do whatever it takes to get him there. If I were Jalen's mom, I'd pay a shooting coach out of pocket for it if I had to. This kid is a baller and his future depends on him getting the shooting ability needed to keep defenses honest so he has room to operate. Being able to shoot makes the game so much easier.

Reaction Score

1. It doesn't look like he works out. He lacks definition and seems more like a a player from the 70's or 80's in terms of build. For all I know, it's his body type and he lifts like a maniac. Regardless, he doesn't look like it.

2. He can't shoot. He has decent form yet is terribly inconsistent. That's a practice issue. Shoot 500-1000 jumpers per day, it is worth millions of dollars to you kid.

3. He seems to complain or argue with KO. I'm not sure what that's about, but I don't like it. Respect the coach, even if he doesn't know what he's doing. I understand Jalen's frustration in this area, just saying.

4. His body language and facial expressions are very flat. He gives off a pot head vibe. He needs to show fire to keep his teammates motivated and keep the fans engaged.

5. His defense is ok, but he seems to lose his man for 3 at the worst times. He could be tired, but it still frustrates me to see blown assignments at such big moments over and over again.

6. He doesn't seem to be a strong leader. He is clearly our best player, but he doesn't have a calming effect on the team. He lacks the "extension of the coach on the floor" trait. Again, I'm not so sure Shabazz was a "coach on the floor" either, he was just able to stick a jumper in your face when we needed a basket. That would be nice to see from Jalen.

If you want to see a real turn around on this team next year, the greatest thing that could happen would be for Jalen to return with a lights out jump shot. It is 100% doable and both he and the staff should do whatever it takes to get him there. If I were Jalen's mom, I'd pay a shooting coach out of pocket for it if I had to. This kid is a baller and his future depends on him getting the shooting ability needed to keep defenses honest so he has room to operate. Being able to shoot makes the game so much easier.

Well said Hh.

Reaction Score
I see both sides of the argument. Jalen is our most important player and he plays almost the entire game because without him we have no chance of scoring a point. He’d have more assists if there was someone to assist to especially a big or two (Juwan Durham). His weaknesses are shooting and defense. Granted different players and being in the NBA allows access to the best training but compare JA and Donovan Mitchell. Both were ranked about the same coming out of Brewster. Look at the difference in their development. This is just speculation but Jalen doesn’t strike me as a gym rat. As a 22 yo junior he’s should have developed a stronger body and better shot. And defense is a much a matter of determination. Expectations were so high for Adams. “The next great UConn guard” But he’s more Albert Mouring (not the shooting ability but the limitations) than SN or KW. More of a complementary piece then the lead dog. If we had other players who actually played basketball before, guys who could make a play, Jalen would not get the scrutiny he currently receives.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
I see both sides of the argument. Jalen is our most important player and he plays almost the entire game because without him we have no chance of scoring a point. He’d have more assists if there was someone to assist to especially a big or two (Juwan Durham). His weaknesses are shooting and defense. Granted different players and being in the NBA allows access to the best training but compare JA and Donovan Mitchell. Both were ranked about the same coming out of Brewster. Look at the difference in their development. This is just speculation but Jalen doesn’t strike me as a gym rat. As a 22 yo junior he’s should have developed a stronger body and better shot. And defense is a much a matter of determination. Expectations were so high for Adams. “The next great UConn guard” But he’s more Albert Mouring (not the shooting ability but the limitations) than SN or KW. More of a complementary piece then the lead dog. If we had other players who actually played basketball before, guys who could make a play, Jalen would not get the scrutiny he currently receives.
Eerily reminds me of Jerome Dyson.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Yes good comp. Funny how many dis Jerome but then say we would have won another championship if he didn’t get hurt.
Jerome was one of the best complimentary shooting guards in the Big East his Freshman-Junior seasons. The minute he was asked to be “the guy” he crumbled.

Jalen is forced to be “the guy” but he has no help.

Reaction Score

Man I wished we could get some Albert in him, he'd make some shots and be more of a threat allowing him more space to work with.

Reaction Score

Agree with most of this. @CTBasketball 's Dyson comp is spot on. That's the guy I kept thinking of yesterday. Much like Dyson, Jalen will run through a wall on game day. He plays hard, leaves it all out there, and gives the fans what they pay for. He isn't afraid of the big moment, isn't afraid to put the team on his back, and is very willing to be a vocal leader to try to left his teammates. You'd want him on your side in a street brawl, I think.

But much like Jerome, I don't get the sense that his game prep and "time management" for a lack of a better phrase are quite what you'd want. You don't get the sense that he's a perfectionist and you don't get the sense that he's always laser-focused on the goal. He strikes me as a normal college kid, essentially, which would be fine if he were a normal college kid. I kind of brushed the motorcycle thing aside at the beginning of the season but in hindsight it's probably a great representation of who he is - pedal to the metal, no pun intended, at all times. Maybe that means he parties when he should be resting. Maybe that means he's playing video games when he could be watching game film. I have no idea. I could be 100% wrong. But that's the picture he's painted for me.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Agree with most of this. @CTBasketball 's Dyson comp is spot on. That's the guy I kept thinking of yesterday. Much like Dyson, Jalen will run through a wall on game day. He plays hard, leaves it all out there, and gives the fans what they pay for. He isn't afraid of the big moment, isn't afraid to put the team on his back, and is very willing to be a vocal leader to try to left his teammates. You'd want him on your side in a street brawl, I think.

But much like Jerome, I don't get the sense that his game prep and "time management" for a lack of a better phrase are quite what you'd want. You don't get the sense that he's a perfectionist and you don't get the sense that he's always laser-focused on the goal. He strikes me as a normal college kid, essentially, which would be fine if he were a normal college kid. I kind of brushed the motorcycle thing aside at the beginning of the season but in hindsight it's probably a great representation of who he is - pedal to the metal, no pun intended, at all times. Maybe that means he parties when he should be resting. Maybe that means he's playing video games when he could be watching game film. I have no idea. I could be 100% wrong. But that's the picture he's painted for me.

I get some of the comparison, but I don't see their attitudes as all that similar. Dyson was a bull. Jalen is more like a matador with flair(not saying it w relation to defense). Reflects in their games. Dyson barreled his way to the hole, with his hand ending up inches from the rim. Jalen makes circus shot after circus shot.

Dyson in a back alley would work. Jalen, I don't think so.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
He parties with NBA players at least.
You’d think with 3 hands he’d be getting into more passing lanes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom