Jalen Adams | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jalen Adams

Reaction Score
This was a waste of time, but I actually went back to look. YOU started the entire conversation on the first page with "Alterique is going to run things when he's in next year, so it's fine by me if Jalen plays off the ball half the time. In fact, I can imagine how good Jalen will be with his 3 point shooting and midrange game while playing off the ball.". Ucon990411 replied, on the same page, "It would be foolish to make Gilbert the primary point guard considering how well Jalen has looked in that role. Alterique will certainly get his share of minutes at the point, but he should be the secondary ballhandler like Boatright was." On page 2, Intlzncster and Matrim55 added cogent points to the argument, with Tykurez and blackbird chiming in with compelling thoughts throughout the thread. It's one thing to defend a position, but come on.

This has already been answered. As I already wrote, the key line from me is, "WHEN HE IS IN." Not all the time for heaven's sake.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This has already been answered. As I already wrote, the key line from me is, "WHEN HE IS IN." Not all the time for heaven's sake.

But I think most of us expect Gilbert to start and get major minutes. Who do you think will start at SG? I don't think Jalen can be off ball whenever Gilbert is in, because I think that will be more than half the game.

Reaction Score
But I think most of us expect Gilbert to start and get major minutes. Who do you think will start at SG? I don't think Jalen can be off ball whenever Gilbert is in, because I think that will be more than half the game.

I expect Vital to start next year.

My expectations look like this:

Enoch (25 mins)
Jackson (25)
Larrier (32)
Vital (25)
Adams (34)

Carlton (10), Diarra (3)
Durham (20), Polley (3)
Gilbert (18)
MAL (5)

(Sorry, I did this quick and thought it added up but no time to double check)

If this is close to what happens, then Gilbert is in for 6 minutes when Adams is sitting, and 12 minutes when he is not, and of those 12 minutes, then Adams plays off the ball for about 8 minutes a game of his 34 minutes. It could be though that Gilbert gets most of MAL's minutes too and bumps up to 22 a game.

Reaction Score
I seriously doubt Vital gets significantly more minutes than Gilbert . . .

Then I'd guess you imagine Gilbert will be a more effective scorer off the ball than Vital? I can't see it.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Jalen will be the alpha no matter who has the ball. The defenses thrown at us will enable KO to make a game-to-game decision on where to put his best offensive backcourt weapon and how to utilize him the best, whether it's with the ball or coming off of screens. We are arguing over nothing but good here, if Alterique is healthy we have 2 PG's and a couple on the bench who can play there also, this is all a really good thing. Jalen won't always be the guy with the ball because he can score it in so many ways. So KO can use him with the ball because they are doubling him, to assure he gets the ball to the open people OR he can play him off the ball so he can use picks to get open because we need him to score the ball more from the wing. It will be Jalens mostly, but there will be times it won't be because its best for the offense.

Everyone's right here!:eek:
As well as in game decisions. No one is arguing that there is a better player on the team than Jalen. If we all know that than opposing teams will know that and more than likely defenses will be planned to stop him.

Which makes it likely that AG or some other guard will be required to step up and handle PG duties even while JA is in the game. But that's the beauty of next season that was missing from this season. AG, MAL and sophomore CV should be a better option to handle that task than either Rodney or Christian were able to do this season.

Let's put it this way. I want the players and the coaches to be as flexible as possible (up to a point) in running the offense to allow for the ability to counterpunch any defenses thrown at them next season.

Reaction Score
Then I'd guess you imagine Gilbert will be a more effective scorer off the ball than Vital? I can't see it.

Gilbert won't play all of his minutes off the ball. Let's say they try to hold Adams to 32 minutes per game. Those 8 minutes likely go to Gilbert. At least some of the time, Gilbert and Adams will be on the court together and Gilbert may spell Adams on the ball for some of that time, and will be off the ball for others. So Gilbert gets minutes due to his versatility. That still leaves rougly 25 minutes for Vital.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Enoch (25 mins)
Jackson (25)
Larrier (32)
Vital (25)
Adams (34)

Carlton (10), Diarra (3)
Durham (20), Polley (3)
Gilbert (18)
MAL (5)

If this is close to what happens, then Gilbert is in for 6 minutes when Adams is sitting, and 12 minutes when he is not, and of those 12 minutes, then Adams plays off the ball for about 8 minutes a game of his 34 minutes. It could be though that Gilbert gets most of MAL's minutes too and bumps up to 22 a game.
I don't think it's that complicated. Jalen and Gilbert can operate similar to Bazz and Boat. Vital and MAL will be great for getting breathers and we can run 3 guard lineups from time to time. VJ and TL can be the 4s in these lineups. Then have stretches where they go big with two bigs on the floor. I can see the lineup going like:

JA
AG
VJ
TL
SE

JD
Vital
Diarra
MAL
Carlton
Polley

Reaction Score
I don't think it's that complicated. Jalen and Gilbert can operate similar to Bazz and Boat. Vital and MAL will be great for getting breathers and we can run 3 guard lineups from time to time. VJ and TL can be the 4s in these lineups. Then have stretches where they go big with two bigs on the floor. I can see the lineup going like:

JA
AG
VJ
TL
SE

JD
Vital
Diarra
MAL
Carlton
Polley

Let's just say that Vital has made quite the impression on me.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Gilbert won't play all of his minutes off the ball. Let's say they try to hold Adams to 32 minutes per game. Those 8 minutes likely go to Gilbert. At least some of the time, Gilbert and Adams will be on the court together and Gilbert may spell Adams on the ball for some of that time, and will be off the ball for others. So Gilbert gets minutes due to his versatility. That still leaves rougly 25 minutes for Vital.

No it doesn't, because MAL is going to play. He may not play much, but probably 10-12 minutes. They may run some 3 guard sets now and then, but I said earlier why I think that will be limited. Vance and Larrier need minutes and neither are well suited to be PF.

Vital may have impressed upstater, but Vance has impressed me. I can't see Vital starting. I can see him at the 3 if we go small, as Rodney has played the last two years. He's a good rebounder. I see him as the backup SG to Gilbert. But I'll agree that Ollie will play the guys that are playing best.

Reaction Score
I seriously doubt Vital gets significantly more minutes than Gilbert . . .
If Gilbert is healthy, I'm guessing he'll be the more impact player.

But Vital's development is one of the bright spots of this season. I wouldn't mind seeing him start at SG next year to allow Gilbert to ease back into things.

Reaction Score
IMO there's a reason why MAL is as rated as high as he is: because he's a fantastic basketball player. He's right about the same spot as where Adams and 'Rique were. I believe MAL is more noted for his defense than either, but I may be wrong.

I would surprised if he doesn't get more minutes than predicted here. He didn't sign up with UCONN to play 5 minutes a game. With the solid rotation, someone's going to be relegated somewhat, especially in crunch time, but still.

I'd love to see some 3 guard lineups with Durham (if he develops as much as I hope) at the 5 and Larrier at the 4.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If Gilbert is healthy, I'm guessing he'll be the more impact player.

But Vital's development is one of the bright spots of this season. I wouldn't mind seeing him start at SG next year to allow Gilbert to ease back into things.
The funny thing is no one knows a couple of key variables for next season. Will Gilbert recover to his pre injury ability and how long will it take? Can he develop to a point where he is the better PG next season than Jalen? Wouldn't this be a positive thing if that were to happen?

What will a freshman MAL bring? Can CV develop and be better than Gilbert or MAL?

Does anyone really know?

Look at this season and the yo yo commentary about the players during the season. The commentary went as far as the extreme of making them ride the bench to they are going to have great NBA careers. We had players we loved for several games and then a new player stepped in while the player we loved was relegated to an after thought.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Enoch (25 mins)
Jackson (25)
Larrier (32)
Vital (25)
Adams (34)

Carlton (10), Diarra (3)
Durham (20), Polley (3)
Gilbert (18)
MAL (5)

If we can just get them up over 200 minutes per game, watch out.

Reaction Score
Definitely. I could see Vital fitting a Craig Austrie role very well.

His ceiling is much higher than Craig's so I see what upstater is saying, but I also see what you're concept is and it makes sense.. He's going to be tough to keep off the floor thought but so obviously will Jalen and Alterique. I believe he and Craig are also a lot different in the fact one was a steady, no mistakes kinda guy who could make some shots and play some solid D while our newest edition is going to make some errors because he;s more aggressive in nature but will also make shots, plays on both ends and just continue to get better.

Reaction Score
I would surprised if he doesn't get more minutes than predicted here. He didn't sign up with UCONN to play 5 minutes a game. With the solid rotation, someone's going to be relegated somewhat, especially in crunch time, but still.

He's a freshman being groomed. He has 3 guards who are going to swallow the minutes ahead of him, and then Adams is likely going to leave.

pj

Reaction Score

Enoch (25 mins)
Jackson (25)
Larrier (32)
Vital (25)
Adams (34)

Carlton (10), Diarra (3)
Durham (20), Polley (3)
Gilbert (18)
MAL (5)

MAL and Gilbert get significantly more minutes, Jackson significantly less, Larrier and Vital less, I think Adams gets more rest most of the year before going up to 34 in the games that matter. By tourney time the bench has shortened and it's a rotation of 9:

Guards: Adams-Gilbert-Vital-MAL 105 minutes total (you had 82)
Forwards: Larrier-Jackson-Durham 65 minutes total (you had 77)
Centers: Top two of Enoch-Carlton-Diarra 30 minutes total (you had 38)

Reaction Score
MAL and Gilbert get significantly more minutes, Jackson significantly less, Larrier and Vital less, I think Adams gets more rest most of the year before going up to 34 in the games that matter. By tourney time the bench has shortened and it's a rotation of 9:

Guards: Adams-Gilbert-Vital-MAL 105 minutes total (you had 82)
Forwards: Larrier-Jackson-Durham 65 minutes total (you had 77)
Centers: Top two of Enoch-Carlton-Diarra 30 minutes total (you had 38)
Vance posted on his snap today that he wants to go home and CT ain't for him . Could be nothing , but interesting.

Reaction Score
Vance posted on his snap today that he wants to go home and CT ain't for him . Could be nothing , but interesting.
CCnxqPP.gif

Reaction Score
I follow him on snap and don't see it. You can't delete snaps I don't think

Reaction Score
Do you remember the specific quote ( or generally), and or context? Of course now I'm worried

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom