Jalen Adams on Hurley's coaching style | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jalen Adams on Hurley's coaching style

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Getting 100-200 ranked kids to reclassify up a year is sure to bring their program back up to mediocrity again.

Even mediocrity is a stretch this year, but you hit the nail on the head. McGowen and Toney re-classified for them but, as we’ve painfully learned, if you think bottom end top-100 guys are going to be the salvation, you’re sadly mistaken. They’re looking at probably a 2-3 win (max) season in conference and I pray that the vultures circle and pick off any talent that they do have, as happened this year with
The few guys they had (Luther, Stewart, Carr)

Reaction Score
I never got over Vance Jackson reportedly being told to "get in the gym" when he asked what the plan was for developing his game. Something was wrong.

I'm certain that was an exaggeration. Ollie new bball. But it seems like he didn't support the players enough for sure

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm certain that was an exaggeration. Ollie new bball. But it seems like he didn't support the players enough for sure

He knows basketball for sure, but he didn't seem to know much about developing players. I could see that quote as being Ollie's attempt at 'tough love', which in that circumstance, is useless.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What I like most about @Chief00 is his willingness to be true to himself in the face of unrelenting criticism.
No kidding.
What gets said to Chief here is straight bullying.
The guy doesn't constantly rip and insult other posters, like several loud, prominent posters here (including our Resident Bully); he doesn't constantly call people names like he's a petulant 9 year old, like one particular high-count poster here (you know who you are); he doesn't get political or ruin threads with off topic comments (no need to say it, guilty), and the tenor of his posts is always suitable and non-offensive.
But he's an easy target, because he doesn't fight back, so our Resident Bully rips him and gets a bunch of likes for it.
Really wonderful.

If we knew that the Chief handle was bogus, then I'd be all about the ragging.

I really despise bullies. There was a kid on my bus growing up who was quiet. Kept to himself. Wore glasses. Small. He used to get off the bus in front of his house, which was across from the graveyard where his father was buried. He would never walk in front of the bus and go directly to his house. Nope, he would get off the bus and start walking down the side of the road alongside the bus toward his father's grave. The bus chief bully would start to scream the insult of the day, his pack of droogs would all join in the screaming. They would then all go to the windows, which only opened about 5 inches, turn their heads sideways, jam their faces in the window openings, and then spit at the kid. Every day.

Reaction Score
He knows basketball for sure, but he didn't seem to know much about developing players. I could see that quote as being Ollie's attempt at 'tough love', which in that circumstance, is useless.
I really would love to see Ollie employed as a head coach sooner rather than later. I would like another data point to help determine how much of 2014 was the luck of the inheritance and how much was him.
My null hypothesis is that he's a terrible coach and has no business coaching.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The guy doesn't constantly rip and insult other posters, like several loud, prominent posters here (including our Resident Bully);

Wrong.

he doesn't constantly call people names like he's a petulant 9 year old, like one particular high-count poster here (you know who you are)

Debatable, but essentially wrong.

he doesn't get political or ruin threads with off topic comments (no need to say it, guilty),

Sigh.

1) Chief inserts comments about "Marxist professors" into non-Cesspool threads out of the blue.

2) Chief is on record multiple times as entering threads and making posts that have absolutely zero to do with what is being discussed.

Chief is a condescending egomaniac who is obsessed with elevating himself above the rest of us and putting everyone else down. Plenty of people are better at both providing actual basketball analysis and dropping insider information than he is, and none of them actively try to prop up cults of personality around themselves.

Your analogy comparing Chief to some poor little child whose father passed away could not be more off. Quite frankly, it's an insult to anyone who faced anything similar growing up. Chief is not a victim in any sense of the word.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Your analogy comparing Chief to some poor little child whose father passed away could not be more off. Quite frankly, it's an insult to anyone who faced anything similar growing up. Chief is not a victim in any sense of the word.
You missed the point: the child was young Frank Ivy.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I read it as curt a response to needy player that whose play didn't match his self-perception.

Hard to say though.

pj

Reaction Score
I read it as curt a response to needy player that whose play didn't match his self-perception.

Hard to say though.

It's never bad advice to an ambitious basketball player to get in the gym and work. But if that's all there is, then you're not a coach. I know nothing about basketball coaching and I could give that advice.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Hard to say though.

Kid was just post freshman year. Obviously he's got maturity issues. Point him in the right direction on the court at least.

Don't want him on the parallel bars with Travis after all.

Reaction Score
I never got over Vance Jackson reportedly being told to "get in the gym" when he asked what the plan was for developing his game. Something was wrong.

I made a comment that VJ looked slow and kind of unathletic when he committed. I got ripped by a number of people. Vance truly did need to get in the gym. He had a lot of potential but since he could already shoot, he needed to increase his strength and quickness along with improving his handle. You can teach a kid what to do on the court but you can’t teach him to dribble or to lift weights. He needed to bounce the ball in his free time and work out. That was good advice.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's never bad advice to an ambitious basketball player to get in the gym and work. But if that's all there is, then you're not a coach. I know nothing about basketball coaching and I could give that advice.

Kid was just post freshman year. Obviously he's got maturity issues. Point him in the right direction on the court at least.

Agree. We don't know if that was the only instruction he got. We also don't know if the quote is accurate. We do know that KO didn't have the best history developing kids.

Reaction Score
Getting 100-200 ranked kids to reclassify up a year is sure to bring their program back up to mediocrity again.

I am sure that Capel is a decent recruiter....but Duke could recruit a top class with almost anyone doing the main share of recruiting.

They have established the coach and the program as a brand where good players come to play...the fact that they signed the #1, #2, and #3 recruit in 2018 is phenomenal....but I don't think Capel recruiting any where else would be as successful.

Reaction Score
Only people happier about the coaching change than the fans are the players, they desperately wanted to be coached up.
If Hurley can coach up Jalen Adams, next season will be a surprise to many people, and a huge success for Adams on a personal level. Not to mention Carlton, Vital, and Cobb.

Reaction Score
You missed the point: the child was young Frank Ivy.
I'm pretty sure I've said this before about a post you made about me, but . . . your post isn't going to get near the likes it should!

Reaction Score
What I was impressed by was coach Hurley having that star struck look upon entering, and the expression on his face when he was being introduced. He/They are opening it up, getting the brand back in front of people

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I made a comment that VJ looked slow and kind of unathletic when he committed. I got ripped by a number of people. Vance truly did need to get in the gym. He had a lot of potential but since he could already shoot, he needed to increase his strength and quickness along with improving his handle. You can teach a kid what to do on the court but you can’t teach him to dribble or to lift weights. He needed to bounce the ball in his free time and work out. That was good advice.
VJ averages 16+ points per game and 40%+ from 3 next season. I am fully expecting this to come back to bite us in the ass.

Reaction Score
Even if your first sentence turns out to be substantially true, how does this "bite us in the ass," let alone be rise to a full expectation or even matter?

I'm more worried about Durham. But since Ollie is now gone, there's just not much sense in getting worked up over that stuff - between Waters, Herron, Diallo, MAL, Akinjo, etc. people will drive themselves insane.

Reaction Score
No kidding.
The guy doesn't constantly rip and insult other posters, like several loud, prominent posters here (including our Resident Bully); he doesn't constantly call people names like he's a petulant 9 year old, like one particular high-count poster here (you know who you are); he doesn't get political or ruin threads with off topic comments (no need to say it, guilty), and the tenor of his posts is always suitable and non-offensive.
But he's an easy target, because he doesn't fight back, so our Resident Bully rips him and gets a bunch of likes for it.
Really wonderful.

I really despise bullies. There was a kid on my bus growing up who was quiet. Kept to himself. Wore glasses. Small. He used to get off the bus in front of his house, which was across from the graveyard where his father was buried. He would never walk in front of the bus and go directly to his house. Nope, he would get off the bus and start walking down the side of the road alongside the bus toward his father's grave. The bus chief bully would start to scream the insult of the day, his pack of droogs would all join in the screaming. They would then all go to the windows, which only opened about 5 inches, turn their heads sideways, jam their faces in the window openings, and then spit at the kid. Every day.

There's a lot to like about Chief. I like him, myself. But at some point you have to draw the line between bullying and inevitable social reinforcement. And perhaps the most important point is that if he's self-confident enough to talk the way he does, then he's definitely self-confident enough to not care about some relatively innocuous snickering in response. The fact that he hasn't changed his approach is evidence that he's either a master troll or just somebody with the right temperament for the environment he inhabits.

Reaction Score
No kidding.
Really wonderful.

I’m curious about your story in which the bully’s were spitting on the kid who visited his dads grave, what did you do when this occurred? And by no means am I questioning your toughness or manhood at the time it just brings up similar situations I had growing up, some of which I walked away from and others I stood up for the “different” individual. These are tough situations when we are young for varying reasons.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm more worried about Durham. But since Ollie is now gone, there's just not much sense in getting worked up over that stuff - between Waters, Herron, Diallo, MAL, Akinjo, etc. people will drive themselves insane.
There's not much nourishment to be gained from either, but generally speaking, it would be regretting the past and worrying about the future.

Further guidance is available in the form of accepting what cannot be changed, seeking courage to change what can be changed, and starting by discerning the difference between which people, places, and things can and cannot be changed.

For the committed, Conference Realignment might qualify as something one could both regret and worry about, but it still might not be the best way to inhabit the present.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom