Jalen Adams NBA Draft prospects | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jalen Adams NBA Draft prospects

Reaction Score
Jalen is an enigma. Us diehards think he should be better, even though he is awesome as it is. He has innate body control and finishing ability that separate himself from most NBA guards. His weaknesses seem improvable but he hasn't improved. I'm not sure if this is because of his work ethic, or the coaching and development of KO but I imagine we will find out in 5 years.
He's awesome? He has innate body control and finsishing ability that separate himself from most NBA guards. The guy is in his senior year and has yet to dominate his competition.

He had a surefire and 1 layup at the end against Zona to give us a chance to win and walked away with 1 point. He had what was an easy layup for any NBA guard or gpod college guard to keep us in it against FSU and blew it.

Peple are seriously overrating his game and athleticism in this thread.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Have you seen the footage of Teresa Halbach in the stands of the Wisconsin game on November 2nd?

Reaction Score
Jalen and Dyson. How are they similar? Really

I think it's a good surface level comparison, but falls apart with more scrutiny. I always thought Dyson was out of control, whereas I think Adams is too cool4skool. I don't know what the actual percentage of times Dyson committed a charge when he penetrated from the perimeter and put his head down, but my memory says it was 100%. Adams' turnovers are more often sloppy passes.

They did both have low release short hop 3's. Adams is a slightly better shooter in pretty much all respects, especially finishing in the paint (I think if Dyson played today he'd be about as good from 3 as Adams). Dyson was a good passer, but he wasn't lead guard good like Adams. Dyson was a much better defender, played harder and more physically active defense, and (meme of the day) drew more fouls than Jalen.

So similarities: ~6'3" or 4" guard with similar 3pt form, mediocre shooting, decent or better passing, somewhat high turnovers, good bounce.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He's awesome? He has innate body control and finsishing ability that separate himself from most NBA guards. The guy is in his senior year and has yet to dominate his competition.

He had a surefire and 1 layup at the end against Zona to give us a chance to win and walked away with 1 point. He had what was an easy layup for any NBA guard or gpod college guard to keep us in it against FSU and blew it.

Peple are seriously overrating his game and athleticism in this thread.

I dont think Jalen should be drafted and he has not lived up to my (meaningless) expectations. He hasn't improved his shot or BBIQ enough. But. He is awesome. He would be heralded as a UConn great if he was the 2nd or 3rd best player on a good team, as we deserve. Failed to dominate? Do you remember Ok St. or Cinci? Or a dozen games last year? Please don't strawman me. Our opinions are likely quite similar.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I think it's a good surface level comparison, but falls apart with more scrutiny. I always thought Dyson was out of control, whereas I think Adams is TOO in control. I don't know what the actual percentage of times Dyson committed a charge when he penetrated from the perimeter and put his head down, but my memory says it was 100%. Adams' turnovers are more often sloppy passes.

They did both have low release short hop 3's. Adams is a slightly better shooter in pretty much all respects, especially finishing in the paint (I think if Dyson played today he'd be about as good from 3 as Adams). Dyson was a good passer, but he wasn't lead guard good like Adams. Dyson was a much better defender, played harder and more physically active defense, and (meme of the day) drew more fouls than Jalen.

So similarities: ~6'3" or 4" guard with similar 3pt form, mediocre shooting, decent or better passing, somewhat high turnovers, good bounce.
If Jalen’s a laser, Dyson was a rusty handsaw.

Reaction Score
I think it's a good surface level comparison, but falls apart with more scrutiny. I always thought Dyson was out of control, whereas I think Adams is TOO in control. I don't know what the actual percentage of times Dyson committed a charge when he penetrated from the perimeter and put his head down, but my memory says it was 100%. Adams' turnovers are more often sloppy passes.

If Jalen had Dyson's passion for the game he would be an NBA player. Where Jalen coasts a little and throws lackadaisical passes Dyson was smashing into people and the floor. Where Jalen goes in for the jelly layup, Dyson was trying to tear the rim down.

Reaction Score
I dont think Jalen should be drafted and he has not lived up to my (meaningless) expectations. He hasn't improved his shot or BBIQ enough. But. He is awesome. He would be heralded as a UConn great if he was the 2nd or 3rd best player on a good team, as we deserve. Failed to dominate? Do you remember Ok St. or Cinci? Or a dozen games last year? Please don't strawman me. Our opinions are likely quite similar.
That's just the thing, the fanbase has talked about him like he's a superstar when he would be the third best player on any UConn team that did damage in the tournament.

Reaction Score
They're completely different! That's my point. Why are they being compared here? JD was a hard-nosed 2 guard who could stack up against Derek Rose but didn't have any polish. Jalen is more of a complete player but not there...yet. Very close. I think he'd be better around better players, unlike Dyson. Make sense?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There is plenty of time for Jalen to get back into the picture. This team can keep getting better and he will be the main man.

Reaction Score
Ahh okay. Misread you there
No worries. I think he has NBA potential, but he just hasn't made that last step. His three point shot irks me. When he shoots a midrange jumper it looks natural. When he shoots a three he barely jumps and it's so inconsistent.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
NBA Draft 2019 Best Remaining Players - ESPN Draftcast

For what it's worth they don't have Jalen in the top 100.....hope this lights a fire in him. To me it doesn't appear that he was the "gym rat" he needed to be in the off season working on his shooting.

I really appreciate Jalen and all our guys for hanging in with the program but amplifies that we are in desperate need of a talent infusion......not sure any legit NBA prospects on the roster, maybe Sid & Polley blossom in next couple years and surprise.
If Jalen played on a tourney team the last two years he would be high on that list

Reaction Score
IMHO..Jalen may be a steal for someone in the draft. The right people, right decisions, and a “Eureka” moment when he sees what it takes in the pros, he could be very good. Like what happened when Kemba worked out with Ben. I’m secretly hoping Kemba would pay it forward to Jalen. Jalen could be very good. He has gifts that one can’t teach.

Reaction Score
We never thought that Rodney would sniff the NBA, either. Adams is a better overall player. Better finisher, better handle, better distributor, similar rebounder, better mid-range shooter. Rodney was a better three point shooter.

Jalen’s issues are fixable, but at this point he will need to do it through the G league.

Reaction Score
I just see below grade shooting. He is a great athlete like Jerome Dyson who just didn’t improve his outside shooting enough as of right now to make the league. He doesn’t hustle at times too which might give you the idea he isn’t an athelete but I think that is more his mental makeup than physical.
Except Dyson had an average handle and wasn’t half the passer JA is. Dyson is a closer match with Rodney. But I wish JA had either of those guys aggressiveness and determination.

Reaction Score
There’s no jump shot from beyond 3. It’s a set shot. Like in the time of Bob Cousy. And peachbaskets. The only difference is that it’s one hand not 2.

Reaction Score
There’s no jump shot from beyond 3. It’s a set shot. Like in the time of Bob Cousy. And peachbaskets. The only difference is that it’s one hand not 2.

yeah, I'm confused why people keep sayong he doesn't jump enough on 3s.

This issue is his hand position on the ball, and slightly low set point imo. And probably practice.

Reaction Score
Except Dyson had an average handle and wasn’t half the passer JA is. Dyson is a closer match with Rodney. But I wish JA had either of those guys aggressiveness and determination.
Actually I remember Dyson with some sweet dimes but he wasn’t asked to play point like Jalen has until this year. Dyson had the luxury of scoring first and then picking parts of the game where he would give the ball for an assist. They are both natural 2’s. It’s just Jalen was asked to play the one since we had no true point guard. Rodney’s handle was worst than Dyson so I don’t see the comparison. Dyson was more athletic and could score inside better than Rodney. Dyson actually averaged 2.9 assists to Rodney’s 1.8. Dyson actually was at 4.2 were he had to help out at the point from time compared to Purvis 2.5 who had to do the same his senior year.

Dyson shot 32% of his shots from 3 point range at 32% while Rodney shot 46% of his shots from 3 point range at 36.5%. By Dyson’s Sr year he was shooting almost 75% or his shots from 2 point range compared to Rodney who was only shooting 45% of his shots from 2 point range.

Dyson was more of a slasher and creator while Rodney more of a 3 point threat. Stats don’t lie.

Reaction Score
Actually I remember Dyson with some sweet dimes but he wasn’t asked to play point like Jalen has until this year. Dyson had the luxury of scoring first and then picking parts of the game where he would give the ball for an assist. They are both natural 2’s. It’s just Jalen was asked to play the one since we had no true point guard. Rodney’s handle was worst than Dyson so I don’t see the comparison. Dyson was more athletic and could score inside better than Rodney. Dyson actually averaged 2.9 assists to Rodney’s 1.8. Dyson actually was at 4.2 were he had to help out at the point from time compared to Purvis 2.5 who had to do the same his senior year.

Dyson shot 32% of his shots from 3 point range at 32% while Rodney shot 46% of his shots from 3 point range at 36.5%. By Dyson’s Sr year he was shooting almost 75% or his shots from 2 point range compared to Rodney who was only shooting 45% of his shots from 2 point range.

Dyson was more of a slasher and creator while Rodney more of a 3 point threat. Stats don’t lie.

Something something something, Rodney Purvis has small hands.

Reaction Score
love the over criticism of jalen. 18.6 ppg and shooting 55 percent. i love you guys
Thread about Jalen being an NBA player.....specifically being drafted or not. He is a very good college player that was loyal to UConn through tough times, he was basically on an island for 2 years and didn't complain so he deserves praise for that.

Most of the comments have been critiquing his drive & if his game translates to NBA not that he hasn't produced.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If he gets drafted it’s gunna be by a big March tournament if they get in. Kinda how Kemba raised his stock w a big tourney run. Or a big AAC tourney. Just hasn’t gotten exposure. Do I think he’s an NBA prospect? Yes. Is he ready? No. He’s too afraid of contact. Needs to be a little more efficient from deep. But if he works at it he can def make it. Most likely will be a G league player like Purvis

No. Kemba was a first team All American and national player of the year candidate when the regular season ended. Using a tournament run to get drafted would not make Adams like Kemba

Reaction Score
Can't shoot from deep.
Still waiting for him to dominate a game this year like one of the greats.
Great body control and finishes very well.
Good Free Throw shooter but doesn't get to the line enough.
Not a point guard.
Average defensive player.
All that being said, how would he make your NBA roster better?
Very good 4 year college basketball player that really never got much better.
I hope he ends his college career on a good note. He seems like a likable kid.

Reaction Score
Jalen is a very good player, he is not afraid of contact and he tries to avoid charging and fouling when he goes inside. Creative mid range scorer too. He would have to have a long range reliable jumper for the NBA and at this point it is not there. Could that change? Yes, but to me it’s unlikely.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think Halen has dropped off from the past two years. Seems less likely to take over a game and dominate.

Reaction Score
Jalen is a very good player, he is not afraid of contact and he tries to avoid charging and fouling when he goes inside. Creative mid range scorer too. He would have to have a long range reliable jumper for the NBA and at this point it is not there. Could that change? Yes, but to me it’s unlikely.

He may not be afraid of contact, but he avoids it like the plague. A turtle would draw more fouls than he does

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom