Jalen Adams NBA Draft prospects | The Boneyard

Jalen Adams NBA Draft prospects

Reaction Score
NBA Draft 2019 Best Remaining Players - ESPN Draftcast

For what it's worth they don't have Jalen in the top 100.....hope this lights a fire in him. To me it doesn't appear that he was the "gym rat" he needed to be in the off season working on his shooting.

I really appreciate Jalen and all our guys for hanging in with the program but amplifies that we are in desperate need of a talent infusion...........not sure any legit NBA prospects on the roster, maybe Sid & Polley blossom in next couple years and surprise.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If he gets drafted it’s gunna be by a big March tournament if they get in. Kinda how Kemba raised his stock w a big tourney run. Or a big AAC tourney. Just hasn’t gotten exposure. Do I think he’s an NBA prospect? Yes. Is he ready? No. He’s too afraid of contact. Needs to be a little more efficient from deep. But if he works at it he can def make it. Most likely will be a G league player like Purvis

Reaction Score
Yeah, IDK about him. Maybe things change with him surrounded by NBA talent? He's plenty athletic, but he doesn't seem to be that knockdown long-range shooter a 2nd string PG needs to be, but what do I know..

Reaction Score
Yeah, IDK about him. Maybe things change with him surrounded by NBA talent? He's plenty athletic, but he doesn't seem to be that knockdown long-range shooter a 2nd string PG needs to be, but what do I know..
Also a little under sized in my opinion. He has potential. But not an NBA player rn

Reaction Score
Possible second round pick, G league or overseas player. Reminds me of Dyson a little bit in terms of talent level. Not quite dominant enough in college to be an NBA player.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
He hasn’t improved. His three point shot is flat, he doesn’t get to the line, and turns the ball over. He has the talent to improve by years end. Maybe he won’t get drafted but I can see him eventually playing in the NBA

Reaction Score
Nba style does fit Jalen. I think he can play in the NBA. But he has to do certain things

1. Keep improving on shooting
2. Work on conditioning
3. Work on creating for others

I see Jalen being like Jordan clarkson

A back up point guard with over 80 million in earnings

Clarkson was a 4 year player who started the first half of his rookie season in the G league.

Jalen has the potential to be better than clarkson. He really needs to take his conditioning more seriously. Hate to see him waste his talent

Reaction Score
Jalen has some things going for him and some things going against him:

Positives:
-Perfect style as an attacking combo guard off the bench
- pretty good size (when playing point guard)
- His floater is at an NBA level already and this is a skill that some nba players never learn after years of working on it.
- Crafty and athletic enough

Negatives:
-3 point shooting and lack of getting to the line...the nba is all about 3's and free throws. Jalen needs to improve his outside shot and learn how to get to the line. He has potential to get to the line a lot.
- ball handling ... he is way too weak and careless with the ball. NBA teams will not tolerate him being stripped or throwing the ball to the other team without serious pressure.
- Defense...he has improved here but still needs to get better.

Overall, with a good season and great workouts I think he could be drafted in the second round. Having an nba career is a different story and he will have to improve a lot.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the majority of these criticisms.

What does Jalen do well?

1) excellent on the pick and roll and finishing at the rim
2) excellent at getting his shot off in the mid range
3) he's a very good and willing passer. Didn't he lead the AAC in assists two years ago?
4) he's a very good athlete not average athlete. There is a reason he gets his shot off so regularly and that's due to his lateral quickness, speed and leaping ability.
5) free throw shooting

What he needs to improve?

1) energy and intensity specifically on D but across the board.
2) he has appeared to get winded in the past but he also played 40 minutes a game. Regardless anyone can improve their conditioning.
3) keep working on 3's. BTW... because he's a good free throw shooter I sense he does have a good 3-point shooter in him.
4) drawing fouls

Finally, there was a point about him being afraid of contact as a reason he doesn't draw fouls. He avoids contact to finish at the rim and he is unbelievably good at it... in fact, he's as good at penetrating as anyone I've seen in 30 years at UConn. Do I want him to draw more fouls? Of course, but I'd rather he efficiently finish as he has around the rim.

In my mind, he's not an NBA star but I think he will get minutes in the league.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the majority of these criticisms.

What does Jalen do well?

1) excellent on the pick and roll and finishing at the rim
2) excellent at getting his shot off in the mid range
3) he's a very good and willing passer. Didn't he lead the AAC in assists two years ago?
4) he's a very good athlete not average athlete. There is a reason he gets his shot off so regularly and that's due to his lateral quickness, speed and leaping ability.
5) free throw shooting

What he needs to improve?

1) energy and intensity specifically on D but across the board.
2) he has appeared to get winded in the past but he also played 40 minutes a game. Regardless anyone can improve their conditioning.
3) keep working on 3's. BTW... because he's a good free throw shooter I sense he does have a good 3-point shooter in him.
4) drawing fouls

Finally, there was a point about him being afraid of contact as a reason he doesn't draw fouls. He avoids contact to finish at the rim and he is unbelievably good at it... in fact, he's as good at penetrating as anyone I've seen in 30 years at UConn. Do I want him to draw more fouls? Of course, but I'd rather he efficiently finish as he has around the rim.

In my mind, he's not an NBA star but I think he will get minutes in the league.

Your assessment isn't wrong. But Jalen will also be 24 by this time next season. There are players with a similar or better grade that are 19/20 years old. NBA teams are more likely to invest in those guys. But like I said, I think he could be drafted in second round if all goes well.

Reaction Score
His age is a detriment but if he's not drafted in the first round, an NBA front office doesn't care. If he can contribute, he will play. That's the reason Rodney Purvis has and will be given future shots despite his age.

Reaction Score
Jalen is likely going to be taking a Rodney Purvis/Dham route if he's getting to the NBA.

There's a reason why he's still playing as a senior. We're really quite lucky his shooting and athleticism were just below good enough.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Jalen is likely going to be taking a Rodney Purvis/Dham route if he's getting to the NBA.

There's a reason why he's still playing as a senior. We're really quite lucky his shooting and athleticism were just below good enough.

I can see him dominating in the G League and getting the opportunity to earn a spot at the next level. But he's playing to get drafted in the 2nd round and no NBA team's going to put him on its opening day roster.

Reaction Score
I think he'll make a team in Europe really happy.

I don't think he's an NBA guy for more than a few appearances and that's the absolute ceiling.

Reaction Score
Just don't see an NBA player. He knew that he had to improve 3 point shooting long range but either he tried and failed or didn't do the work. Neither answer is good. Disappearing acts from time to time also. Him being our best player sums up our team problems and prospects this year.

Reaction Score
It seems like those who criticize the fact he doesn't get to the line, don't seem to understand that's what makes him so adept at finishing. He's such a good athlete and his body control is elite allowing him to avoid contact..... stay healthy..... and still finish.

Reaction Score
It seems like those who criticize the fact he doesn't get to the line, don't seem to understand that's what makes him so adept at finishing. He's such a good athlete and his body control is elite allowing him to avoid contact..... stay healthy..... and still finish.
It's a major flaw in his game, he makes what should be somewhat easy finishes or guaranteed fouls into high degree of difficulty shots. He does have really good body control but at the NBA level he's far from a great run and jump athlete.

I also question his motor, he always looks gassed. I don't know if it's just his body language because later in games he looks short on everything.

Reaction Score

You don't think good players draw contact? Your point is odd. Absorbing contact is good. No one wants a player to AVOID contact like Jalen doesm His #s wouldn't suggest he's some kind of otherworldly finisher.

Again, great college player. Done a lot for this team. But there's a reason he isn't on anyone's NBA radar.

Reaction Score

His 3 full years he has shot 46%, 44%, and 48% from 2. That's not much better than average for a 6'3" guard. He gets to the line significantly worse than average for the amount of shots he takes (he was like 100th out of 103 when I looked last year for his usage rate bracket).

He hits free throws at 82% for his career (and 47.9% from 2 for career). Every time he goes to the line after a shooting foul, he's expected to net 1.64 points, and that's disregarding the chance he gets an And-1. Every time he takes a 2 he's expected to net 0.958 points. The 2pt number is a bit noisy as it includes long 2s and floaters, but also uncontested transition layups and dunks.

But you see the problem with not getting fouled a lot? He's sacrificing 0.68 points per possession. The difference between the absolute best offense in the country and the absolute worst is 0.35 points per possession. Getting fouled instead of attempting a 2 for Jalen is like doubling the difference between the best and worst offenses in the country.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I can see him dominating in the G League and getting the opportunity to earn a spot at the next level.

I don't know about dominate but I think the G-League would be a good experience for him if he can get a spot.

Reaction Score
He won't get drafted but he can be an NBA player if he wants it badly enough. He has the potential, athleticism, and a well-rounded offensive game; maybe once millions of dollars are at stake and there's no "one more year of college" to fall back on the lightbulb will click. Also, as much as we all love Hurley, he's had limited time with Jalen (we all know that KO oversaw almost no player development) and NBA coaching is the best in the world and might help Jalen develop the parts of his game that need it the most.

I agree with others that his ability to get to the FT line is an issue. Given how much he has the ball in his hands it's insane he only averages 2.5 FTA per game for his career. He's at 2.7 per game this year. A small part of that can be blamed on Ollie and our non-existent offense (I'd blame his FG% on that more than FTA) that Jalen had to be in for three years but the large portion of it falls on his own shoulders.

By comparison to other recent guards...

Kemba averaged 5.8 for his career (7.7 his Jr year)
Shabazz averaged 4.4 (6.0 his Sr year)
Boat averaged 4.5 (4.9 his Sr year)

All good offensive NBA players seek and create contact (to the point where it's laughable what the NBA lets guys get away with these days). Jalen is an acrobatic finisher who makes some very tough shots around the rim but he's not good at drawing contact and getting the line. Sometimes simple is better.

That said, I think he has a cup of coffee (if Purv and Hamtilon have, there's no reason Jalen shouldn't) and believe he may surprise some folks. He navigates the pick-and-roll game well (he's got a nice slitheriness to his game), isn't a selfish player, and can score as well as pass. His shot needs work but isn't broken. You get him in the wide open, spaced out NBA game surrounded by shooters and some good things might happen. His biggest challenge is that he doesn't have overwhelming gifts by NBA standards--in terms of skill or athleticism--so he now has to make up for it by out-working people. By and large he has coasted by in college by being more gifted than the competition. He's never had the intangibles that Kemba or Bazz had; will he amp things up and change his stripes once dollar signs are dangling directly in front of his face?

I also want to believe that our string of NBA point guards will continue. AJ, Kemba, Bazz, and now Jalen. Jalen has more natural gifts than AJ or Bazz. If Jalen fails to have an NBA career he'll be our first really good PG who didn't make it since KEA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom