Jacobs: Reality Check for CV | The Boneyard

Jacobs: Reality Check for CV

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
"I’m not comparing him to the J.R. Smiths of the world, but he has an athletic arrogance about him". I never thought about this until now but the JR Smith comparison is SPOT ON, in many way!

Reaction Score
"I’m not comparing him to the J.R. Smiths of the world, but he has an athletic arrogance about him". I never thought about this until now but the JR Smith comparison is SPOT ON, in many way!
I disagree. Maybe in the "arrogance" and poor occasional shot selection, but their games are nothing alike.
If one thing describes CV, it's hustle. Guy is all effort, all the time.
JR Smith is not that.

Reaction Score
Terrific article from Jeff Jacobs. Christian Vital maturing as a person and as a player. Forging a relationship with Coach Hurley that channels his strengths as a player and teammate. Working hard to improve his game with a new coaching staff and different style of play.

These stories coming out about Danny Hurley's ability to foster relationships with his individual players, creating trust, honesty, and openness, so that he can influence and coach, really demonstrates an exemplary ability to manage people through communication and interpersonal skills.

Hurley is the real deal.

Reaction Score
"God works in mysterious ways. He’s the perfect coach for me personally."

That is the quote that resonated with me. CV is a good player. I know there are prominent posters like @Fishy that have a negative opinion of him. I understand it. I think we are going to have a highly different perception of CV as a graduating senior.

The kid has a lot working for him. If Hurley reigns it in, we may see a great complementary piece in UConn history

Reaction Score
I disagree. Maybe in the "arrogance" and poor occasional shot selection, but their games are nothing alike.
JR Smith is not that.

They both like to showboat and care more about their antics rather than the game at hand.

CV does hustle and i believe with a reduced role his inefficiencies won't be as prevalent. I know he means well but i can't stand the extracurricular stuff he does especially when he's of the caliber player he is

Reaction Score

That is the quote that resonated with me. CV is a good player. I know there are prominent posters like @Fishy that have a negative opinion of him. I understand it. I think we are going to have a highly different perception of CV as a graduating senior.

The kid has a lot working for him. If Hurley reigns it in, we may see a great complementary piece in UConn history
Hope you are right. I just wish his talent matched his effort. Maybe he will refine his game under Hurley.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
They both like to showboat and care more about their antics rather than the game at hand.

CV does hustle and i believe with a reduced role his inefficiencies won't be as prevalent. I know he means well but i can't stand the extracurricular stuff he does especially when he's of the caliber player he is
Especially frustrating when you're down by 15 late in the game. I mean in the article he actually says that he didn't really care if we lost as long as he had a good game. That's a wildly immature attitude, even for a college kid. This is high major D1 hoops here.

Reaction Score
JR Smith is not that.
Agreed. JR is a nightmare. when you accidently kill your friend in a DUI, and get another DUI less than a year later....that is a real character issue. Have not seen or heard anything close to that with CV.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score

I didn't realize people had a negative opinion of CV. He has flaws, and clearly Hurley is addressing those flaws head on, as they are fixable with a lot of hard work.
But CV at times last year was the only one with a shred of heart. I love CV, and whether CV likes it or not, he can turn into a huge spark plug 6th man on a good team, or better.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
>With four words, Hurley hit the bull’s-eye. With the first word starting with B, he needed only three more for anyone who has watched Vital the past two years to yell, “Bingo!”

What the hell does this mean?

C

Chief00

Can’t be too specific but that 15 point down after made shot celebration was right out of Chief’s book.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
>With four words, Hurley hit the bull’s-eye. With the first word starting with B, he needed only three more for anyone who has watched Vital the past two years to yell, “Bingo!”

What the hell does this mean?
Jacobs loves his metaphors, but maybe Hurley can help him learn when to tone it down.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score

He’s not gonna have a reduced role this season. He’s still gonna be a starter whether that’s the 2 or the 3. Regardless of his efficiency, he put the ball in the hole, and got to the line with a great percentage there.

He’s a dog defensively who is really passionate and Hurley said that’s who’s gonna play most during practice yesterday.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I love everything about this article.
But especially this:

H(urley) told Adams he wants everyone attending a UConn practice, whether media or visiting recruit, to leave saying they just saw one of the best guards in the nation. And if they’re not, he failed that day.

I'm starting to believe that we may be a NCAA tournament team this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The more I read about Hurley coaching and certain quotes from players, I am very curious to figure out exactly what went wrong with Ollie the last 2 years. The impression I am getting is that he wasn’t really coaching and letting everyone slack off and do what they wanted. Maybe one day the truth will come out about how this program fell so much. The future is really bright with Hurley as coach. Feels like we’re getting back to the Calhoun era teams. Toughness, grit, defense, accountability.

Reaction Score
The more I read about Hurley coaching and certain quotes from players, I am very curious to figure out exactly what went wrong with Ollie the last 2 years. The impression I am getting is that he wasn’t really coaching and letting everyone slack off and do what they wanted. Maybe one day the truth will come out about how this program fell so much.
Reading these articles I was thinking the same exact thing. Ollie in college and in the NBA was always that guy that had to out work everyone and persevere through hardship. WTH happened to him that he stopped believing in that?

Reaction Score
Reading these articles I was thinking the same exact thing. Ollie in college and in the NBA was always that guy that had to out work everyone and persevere through hardship. WTH happened to him that he stopped believing in that?

Working yourself, and motivating others to work are very, very different. He may be a worse coach BECAUSE of that old work ethic in hos playing days. Might just not be abke to connect with players when they won't grind. Eventually, maybe he just checked out over that fruatration.

Ray Ray would be am AWFUL coach for this reason, imo.

Reaction Score
Love the fact he’s talking to guys about the way the react on the court. Love it!!!!!

Act like you’ve been there (even though you haven’t your school has)

Reaction Score
The more I read about Hurley coaching and certain quotes from players, I am very curious to figure out exactly what went wrong with Ollie the last 2 years. The impression I am getting is that he wasn’t really coaching and letting everyone slack off and do what they wanted. Maybe one day the truth will come out about how this program fell so much. The future is really bright with Hurley as coach. Feels like we’re getting back to the Calhoun era teams. Toughness, grit, defense, accountability.
gotta wait for the gag order to end

Reactions: pj

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom