Jacobs: Reality Check for CV | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jacobs: Reality Check for CV

Reaction Score
The more I read about Hurley coaching and certain quotes from players, I am very curious to figure out exactly what went wrong with Ollie the last 2 years. The impression I am getting is that he wasn’t really coaching and letting everyone slack off and do what they wanted. Maybe one day the truth will come out about how this program fell so much. The future is really bright with Hurley as coach. Feels like we’re getting back to the Calhoun era teams. Toughness, grit, defense, accountability.
It has pretty much all been exposed in one way or the other on this board. The situation was disastrous and untenable. We are in very good hands now.

Reaction Score
Same type of article from Mike Anthony of the Courant.

“If you're a guard, pass the ball when you're supposed to pass the ball,” Hurley said. “Shoot the ball when you're supposed to shoot the ball. And you better guard like a dog, or you're not going to play. ... I'd love to play three combo guards who can score at all three levels, know when to pass, know when to shoot — versatile guards. If you're a one-dimensional guard with me, you're going to struggle.”

Mike Anthony: Christian Vital's Fire Can Fuel Or Burn UConn

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
“If you're a guard, pass the ball when you're supposed to pass the ball,” Hurley said. “Shoot the ball when you're supposed to shoot the ball. And you better guard like a dog, or you're not going to play...”
Good luck to Hurley with this one. Vital has received little guidance on the above to date, plus he thinks he's a far better player than he actually is. That's could be a tough combination to overcome. How will he handle it when he sits after missing a shot he used to take with impunity? In the meantime, he CV should work on making lay-ups left-handed. It would boost his game. Every starter on the women's team can smoothly make lay-ups with their off hand, no reason it shouldn't be the same with the men.

Reaction Score
Good luck to Hurley with this one. Vital has received little guidance on the above to date, plus he thinks he's a far better player than he actually is. That's could be a tough combination to overcome. How will he handle it when he sits after missing a shot he used to take with impunity? In the meantime, he CV should work on making lay-ups left-handed. It would boost his game. Every starter on the women's team can smoothly make lay-ups with their off hand, no reason it shouldn't be the same with the men.

I don't usually use the word "cringy," but it's hard not to when people make comparisons to the women's game.

Yes, they make left hand layups better. Probably more fundamentally sound in general. But they are completely different games. Let's stop kidding ourselves about that.

And make left-handed layups. No comparison to the women's team needed.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
It has pretty much all been exposed in one way or the other on this board. The situation was disastrous and untenable. We are in very good hands now.

Certain posters only believe the people they want to believe and. It the peopldo with actual info. KO, wasn’t taken seriously... since at least after the championship.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't usually use the word "cringy," but it's hard not to when people make comparisons to the women's game.

Yes, they make left hand layups better. Probably more fundamentally sound in general. But they are completely different games. Let's stop kidding ourselves about that.

I do follow the WBB team. I enjoy watching it and there are moments every game where players like Gabby Williams do jaw dropping things, great passes, great steals, great rebounds etc. But a part of the 'execution excellence' that we see is a function of the fact that passing lanes are wider, gaps stay open longer, players are slower. These plays wouldn't happen in the men's game because the opportunity to make them doesn't exist, at least not with same open window of time.

That said, I enjoy the WBB because within their world, they are consistently one of, if not the, best teams. Comparing the men's and woman's game doesn't make much sense though, as Geno is the first to admit.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Some folks see the phrase "women's basketball" on the men's board and immediately go directly to "different game, irrelevant" without even considering the point. I was clearly not comparing the two games. I was highlighting one element common to all levels of basketball. Something that would make Vital a better player. So tell me, how is the skill involved to make an off-hand layup "completely different"? It isn't. All it takes is practice.

Reaction Score
Good luck to Hurley with this one. Vital has received little guidance on the above to date, plus he thinks he's a far better player than he actually is. That's could be a tough combination to overcome.
I honestly think that you're underestimating CV's mental fortitude.
CV has "it."
All guys who max out their potential, or come close to it, have it. It's what Donyell and Rudy and Andre and Stanley didn't have quite enough of. Shabazz had it. Kemba had it. Rashad had it.
It's the belief that "I'm the man, and I can make it happen when I need to."
Can you imagine Stanley with CV's brain? My G-d, that would be an NBA all start talent right there.
But let's not confuse having "it" with being uncoachable or unwilling to change. Quite on the contrary - CV is all heart, not some chucker seeking glory (think SCIII). The guy plays super hard on both sides of the ball. Chuckers and glory hoors don't play tough D, because there aren't any easily consumable stats to be had.

CV's competitive spirit is such that he's going to do what it takes to get on the court and stay on the court. Mark it down. CV is going to do GREAT under Hurley. Bookmark this and call me a fool in January.
Don't conflate him running a bit wild under a rudderless KO system to some sort of intrinsic flaw - can't blame a man for wandering when he has no map.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Good luck to Hurley with this one. Vital has received little guidance on the above to date, plus he thinks he's a far better player than he actually is.

So he hasn't been coached up until this point, and you conclude that he must be uncoachable? Reasonable.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I see the women brick plenty of layups too. That's basketball.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So he hasn't been coached up until this point, and you conclude that he must be uncoachable? Reasonable.
I didn't say that at all. I'm just saying that it's not a layup.

Reaction Score
Da Gawd Mike Anthony wrote a similar article about CV in the courant today, except he used the term “cocksure swagger”.

Reaction Score
When I brought up that CV was being delusional 2 months ago and mentioned that his delusion was not good for the team I was attacked by people on this board and told I should not share or speculate on what’s happening.

Now, not only is Hurley pointing out that it was a problem but CV is admitting publicly that he was delusional and needed a reality check.

Not asking for a pat on the back. But I would like to point out for future reference that it would be nice not to be scolded (superjohn and a few others) for having a reasonable opinion based on pretty clear evidence (CVs Instagram posts and him trying to go to the NBA was clear evidence of delusion)

In other words, you don’t have to agree with me but don’t attack me and tell me I can’t have a certain opinion. Thanks.

I’m obviously not sensitive at all.

Reaction Score
But I would like to point out for future reference that it would be nice not to be scolded (superjohn and a few others) for having a reasonable opinion based on pretty clear evidence (CVs Instagram posts and him trying to go to the NBA was clear evidence of delusion)
If you're asking for others not to personally attack you, don't hold your breath - it's part of the culture of the board - some do it more than others (as you noted), but there's no rule against personal attacks and name-calling.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
When I brought up that CV was being delusional 2 months ago and mentioned that his delusion was not good for the team I was attacked by people on this board and told I should not share or speculate on what’s happening.

Now, not only is Hurley pointing out that it was a problem but CV is admitting publicly that he was delusional and needed a reality check.

Not asking for a pat on the back. But I would like to point out for future reference that it would be nice not to be scolded (superjohn and a few others) for having a reasonable opinion based on pretty clear evidence (CVs Instagram posts and him trying to go to the NBA was clear evidence of delusion)

In other words, you don’t have to agree with me but don’t attack me and tell me I can’t have a certain opinion. Thanks.

Delusion wasn’t mentioned anywhere by Hurley or CV.

Furthermore, your pathological need to claim — with absolutely zero evidence! — that CV was causing tangible locker room issues and making his teammates feel a certain way about him is just as pathetic now as it was back then. Just as you did back then, when you projected your own emotions onto CV’s teammates, you’re reading what you want to read here regardless of what is actually said by any of the parties at hand.

That earlier episode centered around your complete inability to grasp the difference between people telling you “your opinion is crap” and “you can’t have that opinion.” You basically don’t want anyone to criticize you. That’s not how the world works. This is not your safe space.

Reaction Score
Delusion wasn’t mentioned anywhere by Hurley or CV.

Furthermore, your pathological need to claim — with absolutely zero evidence! — that CV was causing tangible locker room issues and making his teammates feel a certain way about him is just as pathetic now as it was back then. Just as you did back then, when you projected your own emotions onto CV’s teammates, you’re reading what you want to read here regardless of what is actually said by any of the parties at hand.

That earlier episode centered around your complete inability to grasp the difference between people telling you “your opinion is crap” and “you can’t have that opinion.” You basically don’t want anyone to criticize you. That’s not how the world works. This is not your safe space.

And the new UConn coach’s message to his returning junior guard?

“Be confident, not delusional.” -DAN HURLEY

Seriously??? Criticize me all you want. But when you are wrong and I am right and you continue to tell me that I am wrong. I will argue.

Read the article. It’s very clear and I can post more direct quotes if you would like. This isn’t my take..this is fact. CV was delusional! Why does that bother you so much??

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
And the new UConn coach’s message to his returning junior guard?

“Be confident, not delusional.” -DAN HURLEY

Seriously??? Criticize me all you want. But when you are wrong and I am right and you continue to tell me that I am wrong. I will argue.

Read the article. It’s very clear and I can post more direct quotes if you would like. This isn’t my take..this is fact. CV was delusional! Why does that bother you so much??

Your bizarre vendetta against CV bothers me a lot, you’re right.

There’s also something a little off about someone who thinks criticism of his opinions is tantamount to silencing him lecturing others about who is and isn’t delusional.

Reaction Score
Your bizarre vendetta against CV bothers me a lot, you’re right.

There’s also something a little off about someone who thinks criticism of his opinions is tantamount to silencing him lecturing others about who is and isn’t delusional.

I actually really like CV when he is able to contain his confidence to benefit the team. I like that he is wearing a UCONN Jersey. I want his confidence to permeate through the program and lift us up when we need it. I just don’t want him to be off putting to his teammates. That’s all. So I get worried there.

Okay i will admit I’m very sensitive to criticism and will try to be more open to receiving it. I just hate when I know I’m right about something but continue to be pushed as if I am wrong. It’s bothersome.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I actually really like CV when he is able to contain his confidence to benefit the team. I like that he is wearing a UCONN Jersey. I want his confidence to permeate through the program and lift us up when we need it. I just don’t want him to be off putting to his teammates. That’s all. So I get worried there.

Okay i will admit I’m very sensitive to criticism and will try to be more open to receiving it. I just hate when I know I’m right about something but continue to be pushed as if I am wrong. It’s bothersome.

You have no way of knowing whether or not he put off his teammates. Instagram posts, declaring for the draft, and Hurley imploring him not to “be delusional” once do not prove that.

If you actually have sources inside the locker room that have heard players say that CV was causing problems, maybe more people would give you credit for being “right.”

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Hurley was talking about how his attitude/mindset was a double edged sword, which he needs to hone to one razor sharp edge. He has what no one else on the team seems to. It's a good thing, if he learns to channel it as Hurley will show him. I think Hurley views his attitude as a positive.

You're over on one side of the spectrum. Dan's in the middle.

Reaction Score
You have no way of knowing whether or not he put off his teammates. Instagram posts, declaring for the draft, and Hurley imploring him not to “be delusional” once do not prove that.

If you actually have sources inside the locker room that have heard players say that CV was causing problems, maybe more people would give you credit for being “right.”

“He is the most competitive guy we have,” Hurley said. “The fire burns. It's just got to burn the right way and you've got to do it in a manner that isn't off-putting, for lack of a better

“I was immature, I'll say that,” Vital said. “I was, I wouldn't say selfish, but I didn't know how important it was to be thinking about other teammates.

It's about just directing it in a way that is going to empower your teammates. Be confident, not delusional.”

Are we reading the same article?? It’s pretty clear to me that CV and Hurley are both pointing out that he needs to contain his confidence so that he doesn’t affect his teammates in a negative manner or come off as arrogant in the perception of his teammates. Delusion causes chemistry issues. Why do you continue to try to make me out as some conspiracy theorist when the writing is on the wall. It’s all in the article. Hurley and CV come out and say it for me. I don’t even have to speculate.

Reaction Score
Hurley was talking about how his attitude/mindset was a double edged sword, which he needs to hone to one razor sharp edge. He has what no one else on the team seems to. It's a good thing, if he learns to channel it as Hurley will show him. I think Hurley views his attitude as a positive.

You're over on one side of the spectrum. Dan's in the middle.

Read my other responses. I actually like CV and his confidence. Just want it contained so that he isn’t “off putting” as Hurley put it, to his teammates. I care about Uconn as a team more than I do about CVs ego. And CV will benefit from toning it down bc the team will benefit.

It’s less me bashing CV and more you and few others on this board not seeing any fault in his behavior at all that is causing the argument here.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It’s less me bashing CV and more you and few others on this board not seeing any fault in his behavior at all that is causing the argument here.

Where did I say that?

Reaction Score
Didn't Bazz have to learn how to work with other players following his sophomore year? If remember correctly was quite a bit of turmoil with the Roscoe/Oriachi/Drummond crew (not saying they were problems just that lot of moving pieces and without Kemba and Lamb being a quiet guy, the team had trouble playing effectively together). Bazz got better at leading the team his junior and much more this senior year. CV doesn't have to be Gladys Knight like Kemba or Bazz, just be one of the pips.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom