Jackson's New Floor? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jackson's New Floor?

Reaction Score
The argument could be made that he's the most improved player on the team (from our returning players from last year) and is continuing to show unique and entertaining ways to impact the outcome of games this year in a positive way. Like all players-He has flaws.

By the time he leaves Storrs he will have been one of the more dynamic two-way players we've have in recent history. His teammates and coaches are embracing his style of BB and living with the hiccups as he learns to actualize his talents. Enjoy him while we have him. Gonna get paid to play BB someday.

Reaction Score
Plays no, but he's almost always cutting to the basket when he doesn't have the ball. He gets the ball about 5% of the time when he does, but it definitely forces the defense to pay attention
He should be relentlessly attacking the rim. He can put that level of pressure on the D. Once that clicks, he will be at the free throw line often.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
One other thing I wanted to mention: teams aren't going to zone us with him on the team. Butler went zone that one possession, and Jackson flashed to the foul line, caught the ball, made the easy open pass and Martin hit a 3. Didn't see any more zone after that. We would put up 100 against Cuse with Jackson making his living at the foul line.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
yeah, sure. g will just fake him out of his jockstrap, or just blow by him, and then lay it in, iffn he doesn't nail a half court 3 first. nova is flawed on the interior, and i think that is where we can/will stick it to them, but g's offense inside ain't.
It is though. If you watch nova, you see how they spread the floor. Everyone knows nova spreads the floor , often even 5 out. That’s a two way street and why jay wright is great. Everyone thinks nova spreads for 3 point shooting and they often do, but it’s predicated on spreading and posting people 1 through 5 one on one with back downs exploiting those one on one match ups. ( see Gillespie bouncing around our guards last year) . Then the way it usually happens is nova finds one or two of those matchups is very advantageous so then a team responding has to help down and then they start their kick outs for 3 point barrages. A great system and jay recruits for it. Players like Cole and gaff will have their hands full. No matter who they guard. Conversely we do have defenders including AJ and Martin who can negate some of this. I would expect Hurley will have to make choices on who guards who because nova like us is pretty interchangeable 2 through 4.

We have advantages too on them. Namely Sanogo offensively. Especially this year nova has no 5 who can hang with that. Also rim protection and break defense.

Gonna be a good one.

Reaction Score
Plays no, but he's almost always cutting to the basket when he doesn't have the ball. He gets the ball about 5% of the time when he does, but it definitely forces the defense to pay attention
It's probably still a next year thing, but DH may need to start featuring Jackson a bit more. Not just the occasional cut to the basket. Actual plays. Designed for him. His shot/release still may be bit slow for such things.

Reaction Score
It's probably still a next year thing, but DH may need to start featuring Jackson a bit more. Not just the occasional cut to the basket. Actual plays. Designed for him. His shot/release still may be bit slow for such things.
This is more of a thing I'd like to see with Clingan and Jackson because Sanogo is nowhere close to as good a passer as Trevion Williams, but I'd like to see more of this with Sanogo and Jackson. These 40 seconds from 11:00 to 11:40 are beautiful offense and could work with Sanogo/Jackson

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
yeah, sure. g will just fake him out of his jockstrap, or just blow by him, and then lay it in, iffn he doesn't nail a half court 3 first. nova is flawed on the interior, and i think that is where we can/will stick it to them, but g's offense inside ain't.
seriously, why can't a good and improving player here be enjoyed for itself, and not feel a need to extrapolate to an 'all-american' expectation?
do youse ever watch the rest of d-1 players in the land? do they even exist? and if they do, are there any lights out, no questions asked, obviously superior players amongst them? there are. lots and lots of them.
some of them are current freshmen.
I don't know and think we will have our hands full with Slater, Dixon and Samuels interior wise

Reaction Score
In regards to Nova and any other team. All our guards let opposing guards get by them too easily on the perimeter when it is one on one. The hard hedge disrupts things but think about Aiken on SH. Could not keep him out when he decided to drive. AJ has many things going on in his head when he has the ball. He is picking the best choice more often. Everyone else needs to be more ready to receive and catch a pass.

Reaction Score
FWIW..He sees the floor so well without the ball in his hands..Makes his cuts/uses picks.. His teammates are too late to see what he sees and there are missed opportunities..Part of the team evolving

Reaction Score
This is too ridiculous for words on a team with the reigning DPOY and a guy who can block 10 in any given game. He is disruptive, long, has a nose for rebounding, and is a good help defender but as an on ball defender he is the weakest among the starters. No one is perfect, but he is exploitable be other teams not named Butler.

I'd be stunned if Nova doesn't clear out for whoever he's guarding and jumping him every time he puts the ball on the floor. That might be worth 10pts against us to a good team.
Well he leads the Big East conference in defensive win shares and defensive rating, so too ridiculous for words might be an exaggeration.

Reaction Score
easily my favorite husky next to Jonathan
Butler’s pooch is awesome too
E98DD88F-AF55-4633-B848-5E3AE8B8510A.jpeg

Reaction Score
FWIW..He sees the floor so well without the ball in his hands..Makes his cuts/uses picks.. His teammates are too late to see what he sees and there are missed opportunities..Part of the team evolving

This is my primary take on what makes him special too. He does try the quick flick pass and drives aggressive. But he is unique - I think - in how he understands spacing of himself to his teammates; and then what they are capable of. He just innately is looking for that one guy who can deliver and knows when he is well positioned for the play. He plays within himself when the offense is in flow; and doesn't ingress egress into space that would make someone else's defender to overplay.

He loves the fastbreak. And that often is when he makes the errors by just fierce push. He just needs to slow his mind down to let the play develop to something easier as the defense makes mistakes retreating.

Defense? Of course he's excellent; by pure passion. He doesn't overreach. He is always a PLUS defensive rebounder by pure emotional need. Goood feet and active hands flowing. I don't think Villanova will find him easily posted. I loved the Scottie Pippen analogy when I first heard it ... needless to say, he ain't there. Could be.

Reaction Score
Talented as heck. Seems like he can make some 3s now so this is an improvement. He has great vision but he is always looking to be pretty rather than just make the play. Needs to slow down going coast to coast unless he has the lane for himself. Otherwise slow down top of the key area and run the break as you’re supposed to, too many no looks to no the other team still. His defense is better but still gets beat off the dribble and back door. And he will play about 6-8 minutes in the Nova game as they will focus on getting him in foul trouble, no shot of this guy staying on his feet when being backed down.(he’s not the only one)

Over the top talent, great rebounder, fills the stat sheet but so much to improve on. Good news is he can be better at all of the above and be real special, up to him. No matter love the kid frustrating but fun to watch!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Took Taliek Brown better part of 3 1/2 years to learn how to do that.
Taliek always knew how to play fast. It was learning when to play fast it took him some time.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It is though. If you watch nova, you see how they spread the floor. Everyone knows nova spreads the floor , often even 5 out. That’s a two way street and why jay wright is great. Everyone thinks nova spreads for 3 point shooting and they often do, but it’s predicated on spreading and posting people 1 through 5 one on one with back downs exploiting those one on one match ups. ( see Gillespie bouncing around our guards last year) . Then the way it usually happens is nova finds one or two of those matchups is very advantageous so then a team responding has to help down and then they start their kick outs for 3 point barrages. A great system and jay recruits for it. Players like Cole and gaff will have their hands full. No matter who they guard. Conversely we do have defenders including AJ and Martin who can negate some of this. I would expect Hurley will have to make choices on who guards who because nova like us is pretty interchangeable 2 through 4.

We have advantages too on them. Namely Sanogo offensively. Especially this year nova has no 5 who can hang with that. Also rim protection and break defense.

Gonna be a good one.

Correct.
Nova will go 5 out and then look to see which of those 5 has the best chance of beating his man in a one on one post up game.
When it working it's great because the opposing coach has to adjust that match up which means Wriggt can just rotate another player in to the post, or the opposing coach has to start doubling the post leaving a perimeter player open.
Pick your poison or have five players on the floor who can win one on one post match ups.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Jackson is a beast. Cherish him. He’s going to make mistakes and have a couple moments of crazy per game (which can be fun and funny as long as we win) but he’s constantly improving and is a nightmare for opposing coaches.

Another thing with Jackson is how quickly every analyst can pick him out as being different or special on the floor.
I realize plenty of the TV analysts have pre-made packages for each player but it seems like every analyst talks about seeing him on film and in person and how special his skill set is for a player his size.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Hopefully there are some nba camps he can go to this summer. We all know he is going to put in the time individually to work out and improve his skill set. But a nba camp where he can play with athletes who play at similar pace and athleticism should allow the game to slow down for him a touch.
One thing COVID has taken away from a lot of guys... We would have players go there and get so much better from the coaching, experience, and competition. Andre would benefit so much at that opportunity to show he can play with the best. He's slowly but surely becoming more aggressive.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm just curious as to who the guy is who can block 10 shots in a game. We are second in the nation in blocked shots and our leader is Sanogo at 2.4 per game.
It's Sanogo, smh. The first two spots in the UConn defensive pecking order are locked down and AJ isn't close. A case can be made for Akok as #3.

People see flashing around and think this guy is good defensively and he is but, only certain aspects of defense. He's a wing player, staying in front of your man if job #1. Being long, active, and a good help defender are a bonus. Just don't confuse active for lock down. Whaley and Sanogo are elite low post defenders and elite help defenders.

Sure, AJ can defend Gillespie in the post, but Wright would be stupid to try to post him against AJ. He'll be posting against RJ and Gaffney. He'll be blowing right by AJ.

Reaction Score
It's Sanogo, smh. The first two spots in the UConn defensive pecking order are locked down and AJ isn't close. A case can be made for Akok as #3.

People see flashing around and think this guy is good defensively and he is but, only certain aspects of defense. He's a wing player, staying in front of your man if job #1. Being long, active, and a good help defender are a bonus. Just don't confuse active for lock down. Whaley and Sanogo are elite low post defenders and elite help defenders.

Sure, AJ can defend Gillespie in the post, but Wright would be stupid to try to post him against AJ. He'll be posting against RJ and Gaffney. He'll be blowing right by AJ.
So the guy that averages 2.4 blocks and has a career high of six blocks can get 10 on any given night? Yeah that makes perfect sense.

Reaction Score

You really should've deleted your post or just left the thread. Instead you're doubling down and making it way worse.

Reaction Score
If this is the floor it's great. Nice full stat sheet. As far as the turnovers go they are just going to have to let him make mistakes until he gets better and makes fewer of them. The team is better with him on the floor, and faster.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Jackson leads the team in defensive win shares and who can block 10 shots in any given game? The most blocks we've had by a single player is Adama with 6.

What a ridiculous post.
I think he meant Matt Garry.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
One other thing I wanted to mention: teams aren't going to zone us with him on the team. Butler went zone that one possession, and Jackson flashed to the foul line, caught the ball, made the easy open pass and Martin hit a 3. Didn't see any more zone after that. We would put up 100 against Cuse with Jackson making his living at the foul line.
Against a hard 2-3 Jackson could put up an easy triple double if he learned how to live at the free throw line with the ball in the middle of that zone.

He really is also made for that spot. Hadn’t thought about that but I would love to see him feast there the next time someone goes hard zone against us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom