Jack Cochran speaks out about Casey and the coaching staff... | The Boneyard

Jack Cochran speaks out about Casey and the coaching staff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
http://Post original url/14xRn2L

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I get that this guy is a pretty well respected coach, but the way CT people hold him in such reverence like he's fuggin Vince Lombardi is out of control.

Maybe it's a CT thing? I grew up in NJ so maybe I don't fully understand it.

Reaction Score
Coming from a coach - this quote confused me:

>>I’d like him to maybe take a step back and go somewhere where it is not as business like in hours and just have a little bit of fun for the rest of his career."<<

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Coming from a coach - this quote confused me:

>>I’d like him to maybe take a step back and go somewhere where it is not as business like in hours and just have a little bit of fun for the rest of his career."<<

Think of it as coming from a father and not a coach.

No different than if the kid was in pre-med and dad was a doctor.

Dad knows how much time and effort it takes to compete at this level and he wants his kid to enjoy college life. It's what a dad should be saying to his son.

Reaction Score
Think of it as coming from a father and not a coach.

No different than if the kid was in pre-med and dad was a doctor.

Dad knows how much time and effort it takes to compete at this level and he wants his kid to enjoy college life. It's what a dad should be saying to his son.

I get that (and don't take exception to it) but one would hope that would be discussed when making the initial decision about colleges. I mean - it shouldn't be (have been) a surprise on the commitment required at this level.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I've avoided this comment because he's a bit of a sacred cow around here:

Anyone who has been to a spring game and thinks CC can be the answer at QB is insane.

Now that his father is admitting it I guess it's ok.

I won't even get into the sheer stupidity of the actual comment. If it takes thousands of hours to learn a playbook - it's the same commitment to transfer as it is to stay with a new offensive coordinator.

Reaction Score
It's basically what every kid on the team has to be thinking, every recruit and every coach is probably thinking and that's who will be the staff next year. I would be shocked if we saw a commit any time soon just because of the "elephant in the room."

That's why, once the losing gets ugly Warde has to step in. There is some talent on this team and you don't want under class men thinking about transferring or becoming a cancer because they don't respect the coaches.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh and your team has gone off the rails when parents are publicly stating next season will bring a new offensive coordinator.

Casey, make sure to thank Dad for his comments after you face TJ tomorrow at practice.

Reaction Score
Both father and son might be better served to just keep whatever conversations they've had about the topic private. Why the hell would you open your son up to having a microscope put on him and inserting him into a dialogue that nobody needs to have. How about "Casey is committed to UConn, unfortunately the team is struggling right now and everyone involved is working to turn things around" or something similarly vanilla.

If anyone thinks Division I athletics is anything but a business and a grind for athletes hasn't been paying attention. It's a full time job in addition to school.

Reaction Score
Posted this in a thread last week and its somewhat related. I worked with a guy who was a coach at CCSU at the time. He has coached at New Haven and SCSU as well. One night he brought some recruiting DVDs of players from Friendly HS in Maryland/maybe DC. Anyways I was shocked when he told me they were recruiting some kids UConn had offered. He basically told me that not every kid wants "football 24-7, like it is in the BCS/1-A. At the time they were recruiting Matt Gomes of Naugatuck, and Edsall had offered him a preferred walk on spot. I figured it was a slam dunk for FBS vs lower levels but I was basically shocked at the time by what he told me. The Friendly HS coach, was very receptive to him, in part because it also gets lesser players noticed.

In short, the time commitment at the upper echelon is not for everybody regardless of talent level.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
I don't care for the man nor do I revere his coaching history but not sure what he said, as a father, that was so wrong?

TJ should have thick skin after coaching everywhere and knows this is from a dad but heck, if things don't turn around Jack C is right on target. They should have taken the staff down after the UM game while it was still in the spotlight. After playing as well as they will all year and having that huge crowd on a national spotlight, maybe they could have stirred some interest from some higher echelon names. But now if they go down in dust as they may very well do and look worst doing it, the UConn brand loses its credibility to coaches who are looking to run a program. Always strike strategically and despite a "moral victory" that was an awful loss to an overrated team, especially up 21-7........coaching had everything to do with it. Not TJ mind you, but the HCPP...........

Reaction Score
I get that this guy is a pretty well respected coach, but the way CT people hold him in such reverence like he's fuggin Vince Lombardi is out of control.

Cochran is NOT a well respected coach, period. He loved to run up scores on less talented opponents. This doesn't mean he is wrong but his kid is currently third on the depth chart for a reason: 2 QB's showed more in practice than Casey. I was wondering how long it would take for this blowhard to go off. Jack should STFU and let Casey earn PT in practice because this is more about lack of PT for his kid than constructive criticism.

Reaction Score
So, according to Jack, Casey loves UConn & his teammates. It could be that Casey has accepted his role as a backup. It's possible that he appreciates the value of a degree from the University of Connecticut, is getting it paid for on the school's dime, & has no desire to move & start over. As long as he gets the grades & puts in his time at practice, his scholly won't be pulled.
If, however, his desire is to be a starter & actually play college ball, it's time to consider packing his bags & looking elsewhere. Barring injury, that dream won't happen at UConn.
Whatever his thoughts, it's Casey's decision to make. To date he's been an asset to the school. I won't speculate on his future.

Reaction Score
Posted this in a thread last week and its somewhat related. I worked with a guy who was a coach at CCSU at the time. He has coached at New Haven and SCSU as well. One night he brought some recruiting DVDs of players from Friendly HS in Maryland/maybe DC. Anyways I was shocked when he told me they were recruiting some kids UConn had offered. He basically told me that not every kid wants "football 24-7, like it is in the BCS/1-A. At the time they were recruiting Matt Gomes of Naugatuck, and Edsall had offered him a preferred walk on spot. I figured it was a slam dunk for FBS vs lower levels but I was basically shocked at the time by what he told me. The Friendly HS coach, was very receptive to him, in part because it also gets lesser players noticed.

In short, the time commitment at the upper echelon is not for everybody regardless of talent level.

This is true. I played D3 college soccer and had the opportunity to be a Preferred Walk On type at a few D1 schools. However, I turned it down to go D3 and have a much more relaxed experience where soccer wasn't 24/7. Turns out, a few kids on my team had turned down several D1 Scholarships because of that same reason. Crazy, but true.

Reaction Score
I've avoided this comment because he's a bit of a sacred cow around here:

Anyone who has been to a spring game and thinks CC can be the answer at QB is insane.

Now that his father is admitting it I guess it's ok.

I won't even get into the sheer stupidity of the actual comment. If it takes thousands of hours to learn a playbook - it's the same commitment to transfer as it is to stay with a new offensive coordinator.
But the one difference is the shot at starting since maybe he feels he is #3 here.

Reaction Score
In all fairness here it appears he was on a sports radio show (he coaches a sport - what a shock) and was asked a question and answered it. I imagine it was one question out of many but now the paper wants to take it and try to stir things up. It's not like he called a press conference and howled to the moon about his son's situation. This is a non issue.

Reaction Score
I don't care for Jack's personality, but he is probably the Billy Martin of CT HS coaching. He has taken teams who were terrible and built them and their programs into winners. Did he run up the scores? I don't know if that was intentional or if he wanted to give his kids a chance to play football. In other words, should they be deprived of going out and playing to the best of their ability so as not to hurt the feelings of their opponents? Check the college scoreboard from this weekend: Louis 72/FIU 0, Wash 56/IDS 0, Baylor 70/ULM 7, OSU 76/ FAMU 0, Miami 77/SVS 7, FSU 54/ BCU 6. I hear no outcry about changing the college rules. Will the NCAA be the next ones to pass a "Cochrane Rule". That rule is insane, and if you look at it's results, there have only been a few instances where a coach has actually been suspended for the next game. Frankly, if I was an opponent and getting crushed, I would be more upset if the other team started putting in the JVs and taking a knee. That would really make me feel bad. What Jack said was true and obvious. I would be shocked if Casey returns if he isn't given some snaps this season. However, at least per his father, he is happy at UConn and "all-in". What is PP's fascination with Whitmer anyway? He is just as bad this year as he was last year. What improvements do you see? I'm not saying to bench him or take the starting role away from him, but it is time to give at least some of the back-ups some snaps. If PP is determined to continue with Whitmer as his starter for next year and that's why he keeps him in there, then he is a fool and should be let go because he is doomed to failure. With the weak offensive line he is playing behind, there is no way he will last this season without being injured. There needs to be a back-up plan and that means getting someone else ready.

Reaction Score
In all fairness here it appears he was on a sports radio show (he coaches a sport - what a shock) and was asked a question and answered it. I imagine it was one question out of many but now the paper wants to take it and try to stir things up. It's not like he called a press conference and howled to the moon about his son's situation. This is a non issue.
It wasn't just a sports radio show, it was a blog. It probably didn't have much of a following, but will now get exponentially more hits now that it's been publicized by Fuller & the Register.

Reaction Score
I can't argue with anything he said. The coaches are big boys and can handle the truth. Win some games and maybe the subject never comes up. And the guy ahead of him hasn't exactly been a world beater.

Are all the critics the same people that were getting on Mike Nebrich for being a quitter too? Everybody knows the reality around here and a little straight talk isn't the problem.

Reaction Score

If you the situation at each of those schools before he got there you might think of him a little differently. They were in deep holes. New Britain had a old tradition, probably New London also, but Bloomfield didn't really ever have much. They do now. He made a lasting impression there.

Reaction Score
Cochran is NOT a well respected coach, period. He loved to run up scores on less talented opponents. This doesn't mean he is wrong but his kid is currently third on the depth chart for a reason: 2 QB's showed more in practice than Casey. I was wondering how long it would take for this blowhard to go off. Jack should STFU and let Casey earn PT in practice because this is more about lack of PT for his kid than constructive criticism.

This is an asinine response, did you even read the article?

Unless you are oblivious to what is going on and what is likely to happen, there wasn't one remotely controversial statement in the whole article and he wasn't complaining about playing time for his kid at all.

Reaction Score
Here's a perfect example about how what someone actually says can be completely different, from how it's interpreted in the social media world.

Here's the actual interview: It's an interesting listen to old Jack's view on the game, if you work through the whole thing. He pretty much nails it that "competition in this country, has gone by the wayside". The culture of participation trophy's, I also believe like Jack, saps away at the will to develop young men that are aggressive and motivated to accomplish things. I see it everywhere. The Cochran rule exists, because parents don't want to see their kids get spanked because they feel it's wrong, and we live in a very blue state. These are my opinions only.

http://www.gametimect.com/the-show-episode-2-talking-week-2-with-laxworm-jack-cochran-guest/

Listen @ 33:30 for Casey stuff and it lasts about 2 minutes.

He is very clear that Casey is NOT considering transferring. He is speaking as a dad, that clearly recognizes that his kid just might not be good enough to see the playing field for any significant time for the level of football we are at, and has the possibility in front of him, depending on how things turn out with this program, of having to learn a third new offensive system in as many years. He is clear that the amount of time, and effort that goes into that for a football player at the QB position, is the kind of thing that interferes with the entire college experience that you hope that your kid will get at college. He wants his kid to have fun in college. That's it.

The thing here, that I get, TOTALLY, is that no matter how much you are part of your kid's life, once they reach that age, and they are gone, and out of the house, you don't really have an idea anymore of what they are doing during the days, with their spare time at night, etc. etc. Jack said he was able to see Casey for a little while after the game, he's probably not spent any significant time with his son in many weeks since camp started.

For all Jack knows, he is happy at UCONN, and is having a great time with his college experience.

It's the same reason, why parents of players, family, etc.....find their ways to websites like this one, they are looking for anything to find out what their kids are doing!!!

Other than that - there is nothing here to talk about.

Reaction Score
Again, not a huge fan but I hope Jack kicks butt in the FCIAC.

Really get the feeling Jack thinks Casey would be more successful on the field at a I-AA (Towson, Fordham), but has given up trying to push him down that path. Maybe Casey is following Dad into coaching and thinks being a I-A backup would look better on the resume.

The third offensive coordinator in three years stuff -- and he said it twice -- wasn't well advised but at least will advance the "how much blame should TJ get" discussion. Will really stink for him if he is collateral damage in this. Seems at a minimum he should be the WR coach.

Reaction Score
This is an asinine response, did you even read the article?

Unless you are oblivious to what is going on and what is likely to happen, there wasn't one remotely controversial statement in the whole article and he wasn't complaining about playing time for his kid at all.
I read the article, I just don't like or respect Cochran and if there is a negative slant on the guy it is likely to be accurate. You are delusional if you think his son's playing time doesn't have anything to do with his statements.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Well if TJ winds up being the HC, then he'll bring in an OC that shares his philosophy so maybe the playbook won't be that different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom