Jabari Parker adds uconn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jabari Parker adds uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone still think Calhoun was out to subconsciously destroy what he built up by selecting Ollie as his replacement? Calhoun may prove to be just as good at being a GM as he was as a coach.

Reaction Score
This is a good thing to see. But honestly if we dont land him what does it mean? Now if we do land him? Kevin Ollie gets a multi year contract extension on the spot.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This is a good thing to see. But honestly if we dont land him what does it mean? Now if we do land him? Kevin Ollie gets a multi year contract extension on the spot.
The most salient point imo is that he just added UConn to his list and wants an in home visit from KO. That is significant. It means that KO is known amongst the better bb players and not some one who is wet behind the ears and has to prove himself first before getting access to the better players. Anything else that happens is icing on the cake.

Reaction Score
What's nice about Duke is that you can be sure that you will always safely be able to hate them. They will undoubtedly replace Coach K with a world-class like Wojo or Chris Collins. Too bad Quinn Snyder screwed the pooch at Mizzou, because he would have been a terrific person to continue my Duke hatred with. But I'm sure Duke will get it right. They have so many slimeball Eddie Haskells to pick from.

All of these guys have been practicing their hugs during the offseason as the replacement will need to be really, really good at hugging...........I think wojo looks like a K-Spooner!!

Reaction Score
The most salient point imo is that he just added UConn to his list and wants an in home visit from KO. That is significant. It means that KO is known amongst the better bb players and not some one who is wet behind the ears and has to prove himself first before getting access to the better players. Anything else that happens is icing on the cake.

Yup, and its also a story that's been picked up by numerous major sports news outlets... Positivity for Uconn and Ollie just when all the haters are looking for all the negativity they can find.

Everything else is indeed icing on the cake.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Well, this is nicely surprising. He may be the kind of kid that would have ruled-out UConn because of JC's "roughness around the edges," or, in other words, cursing every other word. It is impressive. Wonder why no Illini on his list (Did I get that right?). Doesn't he want to be part of the new Fab Five? Does he know XRM?

Reaction Score
It's really too bad about K's hip and back acting up again. I hear they may need to put him down. Big questions about who follows him; big risk that they slip back into obscurity in short order, I'm hearing...

(Okay, now who's got something we can make up to torpedo Izzo?)

I'm hoping.... :)

Reaction Score
Anyone still think Calhoun was out to subconsciously destroy what he built up by selecting Ollie as his replacement? Calhoun may prove to be just as good at being a GM as he was as a coach.
he got one in home visit with a recruit. it doesn't validate anything yet. chill.

i know, i know "but kobe, it's the #1 recruit". chill.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
i think it's awesome that he got the visit and i really like Ollie as the coach. i'm just saying it doesn't make Calhoun "as good of a GM as he was a coach"
You forgot "may prove to be" before "as good." Chill.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If that's your takeaway from that story, I honestly feel sorry for you.

Reaction Score
Knew that J Parker was top recruit and everyone was after him, but hadn't watch film until today. Reminds me of Paul pierce and a bit of Caron butler... Looks ready to have impacted a college program last year, especially as he plays pretty good competition. Wish him the best going forward. Which, of course, is uconn.

Reaction Score
Obviously KO has these kids ears. Doesn't mean he'll land everyone we want but says alot about how he is respected on the recruiting trail. Also speaks to these kids liking Uconn alot but having to take us out as an option for fear of the Unknown. Who would be coach.
First off, Wow! I knew KO was leaving quite an impression with many recruits, but to seemingly come out of nowhere and land an in-home visit with one of the top recruits is beyond impressive. Regardless if we land him or not, the visit clearly plants a seed that the post JC era UConn is still one of the big boys on the block.

If KO somehow pulls this out and ends up getting Parker's commitment, it would not only overcome what I thought would be a huge recruiting obstacle of him not having a multi-year deal, but would make it nearly impossible for Manuel to not extend KO a multi-year contract. I never really thought about this dynamic. I figured if KO landed a modest class, that it would not deter Manuel from dumping KO and conducting his national search. A recruit of Parker's caliber probably isn't worried about KO not being his coach next fall, feeling pretty confident that his commitment would likely seal the deal for him getting that long term contract. He just might be the one that ensures he gets a fair and long enough chance to prove himself. I'm not sure if a recruit of XRM's caliber would have the same impact, even though he's very talented and would be a great fit. Though maybe if KO is able to land XRM and another top 35 recruit along with the 2 that have already committed, it might be enough to get KO an extension as long as he doesn't have a horrible season.

Reaction Score
I can easily see how Parker and Ollie would be a good fit for eachother. Ollie has the right charm and wholesomeness to really make an impression on a kid with such high character as Parker has

Reaction Score
This is huge news! if ko were to land parker and xrm (whom i firmly believe is going to be wearing husky blue) manual will have to bring ko back next season unless this season is a major major disaster. can you imagine if manual lets ollie go in april? ward will be running through the woods in storrs with a bunch of people with torches chasing him out of state.
if ko were to finish this season anywhere near respectability and pull in both these recruits there is no way in the world that manual wont bring him back. he has to because you just cant risk these kids decommiting and following ollie out the door. lets hope he lands these guys fellas because it would be quite a promising start to the kevin ollie era.:)

Reaction Score
Getting way, way ahead of ourselves, this is the sort of player that I'd like to see as a stretch 4.

Calhoun tried to shoehorn these guys in at the small forward in an unreasonably big lineup, and we ended up getting out-skilled at both the 3 and the 4. I wonder if Ollie's philosophy will be more in line with the smaller teams he played with in the mid-90's.

Like you all are saying, getting this guy would instantly defuse media chatter about the demise of our program.
Yeah, good thing we sent that guy packing, he couldn't coach a lick.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't you believe that with UConn joining the party late that they are close to being a lock in his top 5?
A little. The fact that UConn wasn't even recruiting him anymore and he decided that he would just add them this late gives hope. There is no chance that the staff can build a relationship with him this quickly to compare with his with Michigan St., Duke, and the rest of the schools on his list. Also, he has been known to have been a big UConn fan definitely helps.

Reaction Score
Take Boat with you Kevin (in your heart). Whatever it takes! Chicago kids are ballers.

I still marvel how Depaul keeps losing these kids, even though they are on his list. I would keep firing coaches until one could start recruiting at home.

tough to get kids when the team is consistently last in the BE, the arena is close to an hour from campus, and there is ZERO student support.

Reaction Score
Well, this is nicely surprising. He may be the kind of kid that would have ruled-out UConn because of JC's "roughness around the edges," or, in other words, cursing every other word. It is impressive. Wonder why no Illini on his list (Did I get that right?). Doesn't he want to be part of the new Fab Five? Does he know XRM?

from what i understand he had a relationship with Weber and his staff, but now that he's gone no interest in IL..

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Wonder if Boat, being from Chicago, helped get him interested. Regardless, way to go Ollie.

Reaction Score
Parker reminds me a lot of Carmelo.

I see a little Melo in some of his moves. Hopefully, he can pull a Melo and lead us to a National Championship as a frosh. :)

I also see a little LeBron in him. I think he's more athletic and explosive than Melo..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom