J’Raan Brooks | Page 3 | The Boneyard

J’Raan Brooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just gas at Blaze... unless Storrs is special somehow. But I tend to think it isn't. They do heat their oven up pretty good. 900 degrees or so.

Gas and wood cook pretty similarly anyway. Gas ends up more even, doesn't get the flavor of whatever wood you're using, loses some character from the wood's variance in temperature. Gas maybe slightly drier because of moisture lost from wood. Lots easier to manage obviously... Coal on the other hand, is very dry and hot. Think Pepe's. More water in dough is normal. Different experience altogether.

All this to say, I hope the Blaze strategy isn't attempted on pizza snobs. Might backfire.

Wow, they can get a propane oven up to 900 degrees? That's surprising. I know of tiny little ovens (like a Roccbox, Blackstone etc.) that are propane, but they're never very consistent. Cool. I usually cook at about 950 degrees ceiling temp, 750ish floor temp on my home oven.

Wood doesn't leave any flavor at all when it burns that hot. One of my favorite reasons for using the wood fired oven.

and yeah, Pepe's is wet. I think they cook at something 65-70 like percent hydration. I usually cook at 60-64 depending on the weather.

Reaction Score
Wow, they can get a propane oven up to 900 degrees? That's surprising. I know of tiny little ovens (like a Roccbox, Blackstone etc.) that are propane, but they're never very consistent. Cool. I usually cook at about 950 degrees ceiling temp, 750ish floor temp on my home oven.

Wood doesn't leave any flavor at all when it burns that hot. One of my favorite reasons for using the wood fired oven.

and yeah, Pepe's is wet. I think they cook at something 65-70 like percent hydration. I usually cook at 60-64 depending on the weather.

Do you use a starter?

Reaction Score
Do you use a starter?

I have, but not often. I like to do a 48 hour neapolitan dough. Learned it from a guy in naples last summer.

Really simple recipe. Salt, 00 flour, water, and some fresh yeast if i can find it. That with some san marzano tomatoes, a quality mozz, and some basil from the garden. Good hot oven, 90 seconds. Done!

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
You learned something Neapolitan from a guy in Naples? Ya don't say. I learned to drink beer from a bunch of Torringtonians in Torrington back in the day.

Reaction Score
You learned something Neapolitan from a guy in Naples? Ya don't say. I learned to drink beer from a bunch of Torringtonians in Torrington back in the day.

Guys like Patrick Murphy at The Berkshire?

Reaction Score
Part of the Blaze strategy is don’t worry about numbers if you can get better players. Water finds its own level.

This is totally meaningless.

But I love it.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
"He is wide open at this point."

Shaking my head...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online