Ivy League Cancels Hoops Tournament | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ivy League Cancels Hoops Tournament

Reaction Score
Because the answer is in your numbers. The flu has a 0.1% death rate. The most conservative estimates (which attempt to account for the lack of better testing) put this virus as 10x more deadly and initial studies have shown more contagious. As has been pointed out, China's death rate has been 20-30x more and Italy is currently experiencing a 60x more deadly effect. The true rate is probably in the 15-25x more deadly range.

The most proactive country who limited a decent sized outbreak and kept it to only a small sect of their population has been South Korea. They successfully kept it to mostly one small quarantined community which skewed younger and female, and they tested extensively in order to ensure that was the case. Their date rate was only 0.7%, so still 7x more deadly than the average flu in the pretty much absolute best case scenario of intense zeal.
But again why the public reaction. The numbers are seriously declining in China and we all know the people who really have to fear this are the old and infirmed. Why is everything shutting down?
Numbers came directly from CDC site. What news media site should we be looking at? The media is reporting 10's of thousand when the CDC is saying 647? I wonder why people are panicking.

I agree the media is freaking out more than they should but where have you seen them report 10's of thousands? I do a sweep of the news all the time and never saw that.

Reaction Score
But again why the public reaction. The numbers are seriously declining in China and we all know the people who really have to fear this are the old and infirmed. Why is everything shutting down?

I agree the media is freaking out more than they should but where have you seen them report 10's of thousands? I do a sweep of the news all the time and never saw that.

The numbers are declining because they shut everything down.

Reaction Score

LOL. We probably aren't "freaking out" enough.

Reaction Score
Numbers came directly from CDC site. What news media site should we be looking at? The media is reporting 10's of thousand when the CDC is saying 647? I wonder why people are panicking.

I meant the flu numbers. Pretty sure 50k haven't died this season. I think that was around the number 3 years ago when it was really bad.

Reaction Score
I meant the flu numbers. Pretty sure 50k haven't died this season. I think that was around the number 3 years ago when it was really bad.
20K so far this season

Reaction Score
I haven’t. I was just repeating what someone said here — “upwards of 10K”. I assume they got that # from some media source.

Reaction Score
The numbers are declining because they shut everything down.

For some reason people don't seem to be aware that if you lived in the area around Wuhan you could barely leave your house for weeks.

Edit: in some areas it was as strict as only allowing one family member to leave every two days for essential goods only.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No, I never get sick. I'm not worried about myself. I'm worried about others, our economy, the stock market, the tournament and our society in no particular order.

Reaction Score
The flu numbers are also pulled from the CDC site. As of 2/29/19:

Reaction Score
It's astonishing how many people are using the excuse of I won't die from it when that completely ignores the number of vulnerable people you can effect

This. It's like flu shots. People say "I don't get sick" without understanding that it's not about preventing them from getting sick. Its about the people that can't get the shot and are vulnerable. What's amazing is how many of these people there are. They are literally everywhere the past few days.

Reaction Score
For some reason people don't seem to be aware that if you lived in the area around Wuhan you could barely leave your house for weeks.

Edit: in some areas it was as strict as only allowing one family member to leave every two days for essential goods only.
"it's coming"

Reaction Score
I’m not but there are many people in my life that I care about that would fall into the at risk subset of the population. It’s a little callous to say welp I won’t die so who cares.
Who the hell said that?

Why am I not hearing about the people this effects overwhelmingly more than anyone else? All I hear and read is everyone should bunker down, we're rationing Tyler Phommachanh, cancelling schools, cancelling sports, Martial Law in some areas.

Wouldn't it be far more helpful to communicate who is by far the most at risk and who is least at risk. Shouldn't things be designed to have the truly at risk of getting sick and dying seperated from the rest of the population for like 2 weeks/until we have a better handle on things.

Of course I don't want any older people with pulmonary disease to die. This has nothing to do with compassion. My dad died from idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.

Reaction Score
Who the hell said that?

Why am I not hearing about the people this effects overwhelmingly more than anyone else? All I hear and read is everyone should bunker down, we're rationing Tyler Phommachanh, cancelling schools, cancelling sports, Martial Law in some areas.

Wouldn't it be far more helpful to communicate who is by far the most at risk and who is least at risk. Shouldn't things be designed to have the truly at risk of getting sick and dying seperated from the rest of the population for like 2 weeks/until we have a better handle on things.

Of course I don't want any older people with pulmonary disease to die. This has nothing to do with compassion. My dad died from idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.
Except for ages 0-9 the mortality rate for covid is at least double that of the flu across all age groups
Age of Coronavirus Deaths
COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:
*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentages shown below do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.

AGE​
DEATH RATE
confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old
21.9%
14.8%
70-79 years old
8.0%
60-69 years old
3.6%
50-59 years old
1.3%
40-49 years old
0.4%
30-39 years old
0.2%
20-29 years old
0.2%
10-19 years old
0.2%
0-9 years old
no fatalities

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
they should otherwise this all seems hypocritical.
Maybe.
It could be overly cautious of the Ivy League,and impact all mber schools.
More may be revealed to confirm or contradict the wisdom of not playing.
It needn't be hypocrisy, though it's legitimate for you to raise the question, and hedge with the word "seem."

Fwiw, Yale School of Music today announced cancelation of all concerts, as well as on-campus Met Opera sattelite live broadcasts through April 19th, after earlier in the week canceling an Eastern seaboard tour of a choral group.

Reaction Score
I would not have thought it possible, but i wonder if any team will decline an Ncaa tourney bid? Seems crazy, but this hysteria is out of control.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
This is from a doctor in Italy:

“The war has literally exploded and battles are uninterrupted day and night. But now that need for beds has arrived in all its drama. One after the other the departments that had been emptied fill up at an impressive pace.

“The boards with the names of the patients, of different colours depending on the operating unit, are now all red and instead of surgery you see the diagnosis, which is always the damned same: bilateral interstitial pneumonia.
So have patience, too, that you cannot go to the theater, museums or gym. Try to have mercy on that myriad of older people you could exterminate.

Yes, this sucks for everyone. Sucks for the kids who have tournaments. The kids who are finishing their semesters at school. It’s especially awful for people who cannot afford to miss work and will not have a paid leave.

But there is overwhelming evidence that this is a SERIOUS deal but that if we take it as such and take drastic action we can stop it from being so much worse.

Reaction Score
Hard to tell yet whether it's been overblown or not. Eventually we'll find out. Sure the media is all over this but look what's happening worldwide. China's been basically shut down for over a month. Italy just followed suit. This virus, unlike flu strains, has no vaccine as of now and seems to be much more potent. Is it worth risking lives just to keep the games going? This goes way beyond sports and the economic hit it would take. I have an elderly mother to be concerned about, as do many of us have loved ones who could be vulnerable to this outbreak.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I found this to be very helpful in understanding why it's important to take action now.

Early guesstimates, made before data were widely available, suggested that the fatality rate for the coronavirus might wind up being about 1 percent. If that guess proves true, the coronavirus is 10 times as deadly as the flu.”

Seems legit

Reaction Score
This is from a doctor in Italy:

Yes, this sucks for everyone. Sucks for the kids who have tournaments. The kids who are finishing their semesters at school. It’s especially awful for people who cannot afford to miss work and will not have a paid leave.

But there is overwhelming evidence that this is a SERIOUS deal but that if we take it as such and take drastic action we can stop it from being so much worse.

there is no disputing that. so then cancel the whole damn thing. if the ivy league finds it a risk to play its tournament, then surely its a risk to play in a 20k arena in some city. can yale really send its team to play a first round game in spokane wa? what would the backlash be if someone on the team contacted the virus while out there?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom