I've reached my breaking point with Ollie | Page 4 | The Boneyard

I've reached my breaking point with Ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah?
Yeah. I'm curious what your expectations were for the 5 year period
post Calhoun, because your comments make it seem like you expected that losing one of the greatest coaches of all time + recruiting restrictions + scholarship restrictions + a tournament ban would have no impact.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It's indisputable that going 1-2 in Maui and losing to Wagner and Northeastern at home has caused irreparable harm to UConns national perception. .

At the end of the year, all anyone will see (nationally) is that uconn was down 3-4 players and had a rough year as a result. 'Bad losses' et al won't be part of the conversation.

H

huskymagic

The problem for UConn is national perception. Not what people on this board think but what others around the nation think about UConn. It's indisputable that going 1-2 in Maui and losing to Wagner and Northeastern at home has caused irreparable harm to UConns national perception. Those losses coupled with the dumpster fire of a football program help fuel the fire of any UConn critic. And we are supposed to be patient? That is a word thrown around programs trying to rebuild. If UConn hoops has to rebuild, then it's probably to late. To not be critical of the early season performance says how out of touch people on here really are. We are past the point of excuses. We are at the point for this administration and these coaches to be accountable.

Djct99 I couldn't agree more with your sentiments as I have been saying the same myself but to convince patient do-gooders and the world is sunny crowd will be a Herculean effort. They don't realize that for the 3rd year going, we have displayed sub-par basketball defensively, offensively, and coaching that we are not accustomed to and should not be accustomed considering Ollie's success his first 2 years. For them the answer always is wait for next year. If Adams leaves for the NBA after this year coupled with the loss of Brimah, the excuses will be prepared for next year's team.

Your right to take this seriously as Ollie's effort coupled with Diaco's dumpster fire display in football is going to put us right in position for the next realignment 10 years from now. We need to bring an experienced assistant coach, get rid of Killings, and look at options including going to the Big East for basketball.

Reaction Score
At the end of the year, all anyone will see (nationally) is that uconn was down 3-4 players and had a rough year as a result. 'Bad losses' et al won't be part of the conversation.
Maybe on this board. Nationally, things will be looked at much differently. Especially when the worst two losses were at full strength at home.

Reaction Score
No. Wrong. He was heavily criticized here. Heavily. It was relentless.
Are you serious? Maybe by Tampa Bill or Freescooter or someone but overall I think the rational posters were largely behind him.

Reaction Score
post Calhoun, because your comments make it seem like you expected that losing one of the greatest coaches of all time + recruiting restrictions + scholarship restrictions + a tournament ban would have no impact.
First, if you are willing to give Ollie credit for the championship(which I do) he is certainly equally deserving of criticism. What did I expect? Top 25 recruiting classes, top 25 ranking, top 2-3 in aac regular season, annual NCAA tourney appearance, player development, and most importantly, for UConn to remain relevant. I thought and still do think Ollie was the right hire. I also feel he has grossly underachieved the last few years.

Reaction Score
I have no issue with people criticizing Ollie but please realize he is absolutely our best option. Good luck finding someone to recruit like he has in the AAC. Do you want to replace him with a great tactical, mediocre recruiting coach, e.g. Dunphy? The upside isn't nearly is high with a coach like that and I don't think we could find a bigger recruiting draw than Ollie.

Ollie has a really tough job. Playing in the AAC gives him very little margin for error. This team was destined to start slow with so many new pieces. Granted, that doesn't explain the Wagner, Northeastern games, but plenty good teams lose to scrub squads early in the season. The difference is that P5 schools have so many chances to get quality wins and we don't. IMO, its a helluva lot easier for a pretty good, not great team to go 10-8,11-7 in a P5 than it is to go 14-2 in the AAC.

Reaction Score
First, if you are willing to give Ollie credit for the championship(which I do) he is certainly equally deserving of criticism. What did I expect? Top 25 recruiting classes, top 25 ranking, top 2-3 in aac regular season, annual NCAA tourney appearance, player development, and most importantly, for UConn to remain relevant. I thought and still do think Ollie was the right hire. I also feel he has grossly underachieved the last few years.
I'd say the level you described is the level we were at the last few Calhoun years. It seems unrealistic to think we would start from that level, have a worse coach and a couple recruiting classes killed by sanctions, and stay at that same level. We should still be beating Wagner and Northeastern though.

I agree Ollie deserves criticism, you're acting like he's not heavily criticized here. Most people who think the talent level is driving a large percentage of our poor play still admit there are many things Ollie needs to do better.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Maybe on this board. Nationally, things will be looked at much differently. Especially when the worst two losses were at full strength at home.

See it's just the opposite. On this board, there will be complaining. No one nationally will care when the guys were injured, just that it was a few games in. They'll chalk it up to a write off season. That's the narrative sports commentators will go with, because it's an easy sound bite. Nationally, UCONN doesn't get remotely the scrutiny as on this board (obviously). The narrative will be that UCONN was ravaged by injuries, and had a very tough season as a result.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
They don't realize that for the 3rd year going, we have displayed sub-par basketball defensively, offensively, and coaching that we are not accustomed to and should not be accustomed considering Ollie's success his first 2 years. For them the answer always is wait for next year.

I do not think anybody is pollyanna about where the program is at right now (except Scrappy).

Your point loses weight when you look at UCONN's defensive numbers. They are very good for much of the last few years. Offensively, they have not been good. Much of that is do to not having a top shelf experienced PG. Historically, the years where we do do well, they almost always have that. We've got Jalen and Alterique (not so much atm), who have a chance to be top shelf, but are limited experience-wise.

The pipeline is still getting back to full in the post sanctions era. It's not making excuses, it's just a simple fact. The last of our 'sanction class' are graduating this year.

If Adams leaves for the NBA after this year coupled with the loss of Brimah, the excuses will be prepared for next year's team.

Again, this is very much a pipeline issue. Big class this year (unfortunately kneecapped by injury) and next.

Your right to take this seriously as Ollie's effort coupled with Diaco's dumpster fire display in football is going to put us right in position for the next realignment 10 years from now. We need to bring an experienced assistant coach, get rid of Killings, and look at options including going to the Big East for basketball.

Killings is an experienced assistant coach, who's noted for both recruiting and player development. What more do you want?

UConn set five years experience as a college assistant coach as a minimum, and preferred requirements included experience with multiple college programs, including a staff with multiple NCAA Tournament appearances, and with some NBA experience. Killings checked all those boxes.

You aren't getting Jim Calhoun to come out of retirement and sit on the pine at UCONN.

If we go to the BE for basketball, we are done for football and future conference realignment (our only hope). If that's what you want, then simply state it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

+ recruiting to a 2nd tier conference.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
He won a National Championship 2 years ago.

And has two top recruiting classes (incls next year) under his belt. And has won the AAC tournament. Lost to a juggernaught in the NCAAs. Was ranked for periods.

Has it been all what I want? No. But it hasn't been death either.

I would like to be able to win the AAC, year in year out.

Reaction Score
Are you serious? Maybe by Tampa Bill or Freescooter or someone but overall I think the rational posters were largely behind him.

It's easy to go back on this board as it started in 2011. It's not a mystery. I just looked up dozens of posts. I also saw posts by people saying the opposite of what they're saying now. I saw posts from people saying Ollie doesn't know what he's doing by not playing Facey and Brimah together (3 years ago), and it's the exact opposite now. There was a lot of anti-KO stuff here 3 years ago (the NC championship season).

There were people here not named the 2 you mentioned and they were tying Ollie to the downfall of the program, projecting our future as Indiana, Marquette, UCLA, and I thought that was funny then, and think it's funny now. I don't expect UConn to win championships (something Kansas has a very difficult time doing) but I do expect them to compete for championships every few years (like and Indiana or UCLA).

(As an aside, and maybe irrelevant, I just read a thread on Manuel in my search for Ollie stuff, regarding Ollie's contracts, and the possible firing of Pasqualoni in his third year, and it is hilarious, as to how the insiders--who this poster claimed he knew--were absolutely not going to allow Manuel to fire PP because of money concerns, and yes I was critical about Manuel for various reasons (that had everything to do about my inside info in other areas, but I never let it muck things up on this site)).

Go back. Read the threads: This is a very good poster typically, but stuff like this was said: "We're naive to assume that those "intangible" qualities as a coach necessarily go hand-in-hand with in-game, X's and O's acumen. Today was the first jarring example of his inexperience or weakness in this area. We spent 15 minutes doing absolutely nothing against the zone, with no adjustment whatsoever. It was as if we didn't have a coach at all."

A short response to this post from another: "We have had many of these types of games with Calhoun too. It happens."

Then this: "That happens when you call ineffective plays and don't make adjustments."

And another from another: "The problem with Ollie's adjustments is that he doesn't make any. The offense has gotten progressively worse just about every time the team steps out on the court. That's not a very good reflection on Ollie."

Keeps going, several different posters: "The chance of uconn losing Ollie to the NBA, as ESPn was pimping a few weeks ago, went way down tonight. The team was not lackadaisical. A team that doesn't know what to do, often does nothing. There is no where else to pin this loss but ollie."

This was another poster's response to one of mine:
"What about next year? No development happening here. SN gone, TO gone, LK gone, NG gone. RB? DD? I can't see either leaving (based on my own opinion), but not real sure they would be a plus next year. The team is settling for lots of one-on-one, ball screens with zero pick-and-roll. It looking like a bad NBA game right now."

ME: "When people look at the recruiting and coaching landscape across the country, what do they see? Who do they like? Tom Crean? Shaka Smart? Who would you trade Kevin Ollie for right now?"

ANSWER:
"I don't want Tom Crean. I don't want Shaka Smart. I want to beat an 8-5 Houston team with an unimpressive resume and playing without 3 players. I'd like to not be so unready that we fall down by 20 points to said team. That's what I want right now. If we can't do that than we have some problems in Olliewood."

Also good stuff:
"I am sick of seeing that same type face expression (eyebrows squinted/open mouth/frustration head shake)--I want to see the old Jim Calhoun technical foul actions to wake the team up to get their tails in gear. Seldom do I see him even standing up. This team needs coaching excitement if you ask me."

I hear echoes.

More:
"He can recruit, but I haven't seen anything special in terms of coaching the game. He lets his players play too much and sometimes they shoot themselves in the foot."

"Have to agree with this. He has no big men to work with which I hope is the reason our offense is so stagnant. Voskuhl and Souley Wane were not big scorers by any means, but both were solid defensively and on the boards and Jake especially was a great screener. We don't have a big man on this team who can even set an effective screen. Tough for the offense to be any more than one on one if we can't even do that."

These are all valid criticisms. But, they go overboard when they think the situation can't improve, and they then veer toward canning Ollie, as in those below:

"Now is the time if Husky Nation sees if Ollie can build a winner long term or if the success will be short lived. In today's game, you need some sort of inside outside threat to win national championships. If Ollie can't get a Big Man on campus that can dominate, it's going to be a short lived reign in Storrs. Every championship UCONN has won, has had that dominate inside/outside threat. In fact, look at most every team that has own, each team had the guard/big man combo. In Ollie's short term at the helm, he's shown he can land recruits. The question is, our they the right recruits that wins championships. This is an important time in UCONN athletics, between Football and Basketball, UCONN needs championships to be relevant in conference realignment."

"I'm definitely taking a wait and see attitude on Ollie. I'm not overly confident, but he did fine last year and I'm willing to see what he does this year. I will say, though that last year was in some ways a unique set of circumstances that aren't in place this season. At least to some extent, he was able to motivate guys to play in part because some of those games "were there ncaa tournament" in part because a popular assistant was playing for his job, and in part because the schedule wasn't overly difficult. Except for the last one, those don't apply this season. So we'll see whether he can motivate a team under a more normal set of circumstances. To date he hasn't done a great job. This team plays to its opponent and that can and has resulted in losses to lesser opponents and close games against some very mediocre opponents. I would say this, though, if UConn misses the NCAA tournament or becomes a real bubble team in this league, I would expect him to have a very very short leash next season."

"Ollie doesn't have a coaching philosophy. He has no offense. We stand around and set ball screens. At this moment in time he is an awful coach. We never screen away from the ball, we don't even push the ball up well. Hopefully he can get this thing turned around. He is lucky he has a couple nice recruits coming in."

"The team is absolutely regressing. Player skill is getting less and less fundamental... But we do have behind the back passes, no look throws and street ball dribbling, and three on one plays, there is no denying that. It's pretty obvious the style of BBall KO has brought to UConn... Street ball."

"Would you still be berating WM and clamoring that he grant KO an extension? Or would you be saying that Warde was smart to wait out the year before committing to an unproven Head Coach?"

None of these are TampaBill or Freescooter. Well, this next one was a hat tip to Freescooter (joking) and a response to "Ollie is terrible," : "Fire him. Is Shaka smart still available ?"

Reaction Score
We can't do better than ollie, but his coaching before maui was just atrocious. he slept walked into the season, but i give him credit for trying to implement things vs ok state. Problem is we have severely limited players at shooting guard ,power forward and center. That same backdoor action that kemba and napier ran, then boat + napier ran, could not be completed by adams and purvis. and we all know who was the incapable one there. He needs the trio of gilbert/adams/makai, though if adams keeps playing like this goodnight nurse, kid could go pro even if we are .500.

Reaction Score
Id love to see the +/- numbers when purvis and adams the back court. I feel like adams does much better when he is paired with vital and purvis is playing the 3 where he can spot up.

My gripe with ollie is that the guys are never ready to play. we seem to never know coming into the game who the shooters are, and often end up trailing. It takes the Ollie 1 half to adjust to what the other team is doing.

Reaction Score
We can't do better than ollie, but his coaching before maui was just atrocious. he slept walked into the season, but i give him credit for trying to implement things vs ok state. Problem is we have severely limited players at shooting guard ,power forward and center. That same backdoor action that kemba and napier ran, then boat + napier ran, could not be completed by adams and purvis. and we all know who was the incapable one there. He needs the trio of gilbert/adams/makai, though if adams keeps playing like this goodnight nurse, kid could go pro even if we are .500.
We most certainly can do better than Ollie. We did it before when we hired that Calhoun guy...before he was the man.

Reaction Score
We most certainly can do better than Ollie. We did it before when we hired that Calhoun guy...before he was the man.
Name some specific people.

Reaction Score
As frustrated as I am with this season including the coach. He has a NC with Calhoun's guys. How many coaches would have won a Championship with Calhoun's guys? Not many. They didn't want Calhoun's guys. Can't take away the fact KO has NC not many better coaches do.

Reaction Score
It's going to be a lot harder to win NC's with all of these top 10 players increasingly concentrated with 4 schools.

Reaction Score
Id love to see the +/- numbers when purvis and adams the back court. I feel like adams does much better when he is paired with vital and purvis is playing the 3 where he can spot up.

My gripe with ollie is that the guys are never ready to play. we seem to never know coming into the game who the shooters are, and often end up trailing. It takes the Ollie 1 half to adjust to what the other team is doing.

I believe TOS did an article around +/- with the different lineups. If I remember correctly vital and vance had some of the best +/- numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom