I've reached my breaking point with Ollie | Page 7 | The Boneyard

I've reached my breaking point with Ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Let me ask you this, did you know Calhoun was a future Hall of Famer when UConn hired him? Of course not. No one did. But he was out there, wasn't he. In every generation, there are at least a few coaches that eventually stand out. To think there are none out there, right now, that have yet to distinguish themselves is just foolish.
I hope you are right! Right now, it doesn't look good. It looked great after the championship but the trajectory since then has not been good. Hopefully he can get back on track.

For most coaches, even good ones, the trajectory of success isn't linear. Success comes in fits and starts, two steps forward, one step back, or what have you. These days, fans/administration are far too impatient to wait for coaches to actually develop. You see this at all levels, and the result is the coaching carousel. Which never works.

And it's impossible to compare anyone to Calhoun, on a number of levels. He was in a totally different situation anyway. He came in when UCONN was hoping to rise. Now whomever comes in is expected to navigate the program at a 'blue blood' equivalent level. Expectations are totally different.

Reaction Score
For most coaches, even good ones, the trajectory of success isn't linear. Success comes in fits and starts, two steps forward, one step back, or what have you. These days, fans/administration are far too impatient to wait for coaches to actually develop. You see this at all levels, and the result is the coaching carousel. Which never works.

And it's impossible to compare anyone to Calhoun, on a number of levels. He was in a totally different situation anyway. He came in when UCONN was hoping to rise. Now whomever comes in is expected to navigate the program at a 'blue blood' equivalent level. Expectations are totally different.
What you say is true but one could argue that Ollie's situation should be easier with fewer and shorter steps back. He was handed a blue blood program that should be an easy sell which means he has more talent to work with. Yes, expectations are high which is a lot of pressure but he has so much more to work with than Calhoun had in his first few years.

I don't want to imply that bad seasons ir rebuilding years shouldn't happen. That is reasonable to expect if he doesn't want to cheat like his competitors do. HOWEVER, this is not one bad season. It isn't two bad seasons. It is now three bad seasons IN A ROW, assuming we don't get a miraculous turnaround. We are pretty far from a linear or monotonic rise. Now, there are injuries and I suppose there is still a minor lingering effect from the sanctions BUT, if next year isn't a HUGE step forward, it might be wise to cut KO loose and wish him well.

I am baffled as the next guy as to what went wrong. Bad assistant coaching choices? Bad recruiting choices? Deep personal issues? As frustrating as this is, I really feel bad for the guy. It is as sad as it is frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020
Top Bottom