It's the Paige show!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It's the Paige show!!

Reaction Score
Yeah, it’s baffling to me how casually (quite a lot of people) insist that Azzi is better than Paige! Paige is quite possibly already one of the top three players in UConn history! I wish Azzi all the best and fully expect her to be a very good (perhaps even great) player but Paige is clearly a once in a generation talent and to expect any freshman to be better than her is simply wishful thinking at this point. Having said that, obviously I would be delighted if she proves me wrong!
Agree completely!!!

Reaction Score
Yeah, it’s baffling to me how casually (quite a lot of people) insist that Azzi is better than Paige! Paige is quite possibly already one of the top three players in UConn history! I wish Azzi all the best and fully expect her to be a very good (perhaps even great) player but Paige is clearly a once in a generation talent and to expect any freshman to be better than her is simply wishful thinking at this point. Having said that, obviously I would be delighted if she proves me wrong!
Before you guys hop on your bicycles and head into absurdity--I dont recall anyone saying that Azzi is better than Paige--what they were saying including myself, is that she may be a better three-point shooter than Paige, slightly,, ,I consider Steph Curry a SME when it comes to shooting and he said that Azzi's shooting and form is up there with Ray Allen and Klay Thompson, so the fact some of us rate Azzi as being a better three-point shooter than Paige--not a better player-- shouldn't be so baffling to you....

Reaction Score
I kinda think Paige has squashed our Mount Rushmore conundrum. [Diana, Maya, Stewie, Paige]
Funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing. Mount Rushmore has four. Now, we have four. Hmm, what happens if (when?) Azzi lives up to expectations? What problems we UConn fans have!

Reaction Score
My observation too. Paige and Azzi may have similar levels of talent, but they have very different temperaments. Paige has confidence+; Azzi needs to build hers.

Paige has never looked tentative—she turns her nerves outward. Azzi looks tentative—she turns her nerves inward.

I have no doubts Azzi will work through and build her confidence. She will need more time, like most freshman. Paige is an outlier in many ways.

Azzi hasn't played a lot of basketball relatively speaking the past 2 years.

Reaction Score
In today's game men or women you don't see much of what Paige did today shooting wise. She got herself open inside the 3 point line and took the shot immediately without over penetrating and she did it over and over. No jacking 3's just because. Paige is way quicker than Azzi which was evident on defense.

Reaction Score
Paige is on a different level basketball iq wise. I have never seen a guard have her efficiency ever. Even better than Diana (minus the championships) at this point. She almost never takes a bad shot unless she has to. And she will almost make passes that 99% of players only dream of. Her on ball defense is very good, but it’s her anticipation that makes her elite in steals. I mean she was hyped out of high school but has been even better than advertised. You rarely see that.

Reaction Score
This. As I watched her in the game, I thought it’s like she has “matrix” vision. It’s as if everything around her slows down and she can do whatever she wants. She doesn’t seem bothered by the defense at all. It is really stunning to watch.
Geno commented last year in a post-game presser that the most impressive thing about Paige is that she plays at the same pace the entire game, and that because of it, the game slows down for her. He said you can't make her play faster than she wants to play. BTW, love the "matrix" vision comparison - sort of sums it up visually.

Reaction Score
Paige is on a different level basketball iq wise. I have never seen a guard have her efficiency ever. Even better than Diana (minus the championships) at this point. She almost never takes a bad shot unless she has to. And she will almost make passes that 99% of players only dream of. Her on ball defense is very good, but it’s her anticipation that makes her elite in steals. I mean she was hyped out of high school but has been even better than advertised. You rarely see that.
There was a game last year and Paige was guarding her player pretty much on the baseline. Suddenly she took off to the top of the key, grabbed a pass with both hands and was off to the races. Simply stunning vision.

Reaction Score
Paige is unquestionably a franchise player that ticks all the tangible and intangible, on and off the court boxes and has proven she can play anywhere on the court at this level. I imagine this is what DT was like in her college days? Just looking like she can go anywhere and do anything on the court whenever she wanted?

Reaction Score
The biggest thing I noticed (and was surprised by) is that Paige is still playing off the ball. I saw the game in person, and I don't remember one instance where she brought the ball up after Arkansas scored or after a stoppage. The only time she did was when she got a rebound, or someone else got a rebound and she was the nearest guard.

Evina was the PG at the beginning of the game, and when Nika came in, she did that job. Paige was simply not in that role.

I am surprised that Geno did this, but (as is often the case) it appears that it was a good decision.
She is a better scoring guard than a point guard. Today's games and even last year confirms it.

Reaction Score
I think Paige is even our 2nd best guard defender. I'm not seeing a lot of players get past her for drives. I think she added an inch or 2 of hops this year also.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Diana would take alot of audacious shots and make enough of them at the brightest moments which demoralized and crushed the opponent. Paige is more like a steady wave of excellent decision making able to make every good shot in the book. And Paige has an elegance and a glide to the game that really appeals to me. Like Baryshnikov. And as she gets physically stronger, she can only get better by driving even better and more efficiently to the basket Just hope her team mates are up for the ride.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think Paige is even our 2nd best guard defender. I'm not seeing a lot of players get past her for drives. I think she added an inch or 2 of hops this year also.
Remember she had ankle surgery to fix a chronic type condition. When asked about it, she said she really needed it even though she fought to have the surgery

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Just one more thought, was that the first time Paige's family watched her play in CT? If so, she sure looked inspired by their presence.
Both parents had seen Paige play in CT last year.

Reaction Score
Before you guys hop on your bicycles and head into absurdity--I dont recall anyone saying that Azzi is better than Paige--what they were saying including myself, is that she may be a better three-point shooter than Paige, slightly,, ,I consider Steph Curry a SME when it comes to shooting and he said that Azzi's shooting and form is up there with Ray Allen and Klay Thompson, so the fact some of us rate Azzi as being a better three-point shooter than Paige--not a better player-- shouldn't be so baffling to you....
Nice try!

Reaction Score
This. As I watched her in the game, I thought it’s like she has “matrix” vision. It’s as if everything around her slows down and she can do whatever she wants. She doesn’t seem bothered by the defense at all. It is really stunning to watch.
If this keeps up, pretty soon we will discover that she is actually The One!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If this keeps up, pretty soon we will discover that she is actually The One!
If I had @Biff’s skills, I’d slap a pair of sunglasses and black overcoat on her and the lobby for the nickname “Neo.”

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
For the last 2 years I have bit my tongue as time and time again folks asserted Azzi was a better player than Paige. Fact is they are very different players and will be even when Azzi gets settled in.

Reaction Score
If I had @Biff’s skills, I’d slap a pair of sunglasses and black overcoat on her and the lobby for the nickname “Neo.”
I know your comment wasn't addressed to me, but it did spur an idea...

Paige Matrix One.jpg

Reaction Score
For the last 2 years I have bit my tongue as time and time again folks asserted Azzi was a better player than Paige. Fact is they are very different players and will be even when Azzi gets settled in.
Yes they are very different players and Fudd may very well become a great college shooter. But that is the only skill where she will ever be the equal of Bueckers. When it comes to overall skill set, vision of the court, and supreme confidence there is no one in the college game that is in Bueckers’ class. And I don’t see that changing until PB turns pro.

Reaction Score
Yes they are very different players and Fudd may very well become a great college shooter. But that is the only skill where she will ever be the equal of Bueckers. When it comes to overall skill set, vision of the court, and supreme confidence there is no one in the college game that is in Bueckers’ class. And I don’t see that changing until PB turns pro.
And how do you know all this? Have you seen Azzi play a lot in high school? Or, are you basing this on one game? I mean, Stewie scored zero points as a freshman against Baylor. Stewie!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom