It's the Paige show!! | The Boneyard

It's the Paige show!!

Reaction Score
We have Paige and you don't. (This is akin to "We have Diana and you don't." Or, "We have Maya and you don't." Or, "We have Stewie and you don't.")

Her box score is ridiculous. She missed four shots and a FT!

I am a writer, I have no idea how to describe this. Thus, I quote Geno.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
We have Paige and you don't. (This is akin to "We have Diana and you don't." Or, "We have Maya and you don't." Or, "We have Stewie and you don't.")

Her box score is ridiculous. She missed four shots and a FT!

I am a writer, I have no idea how to describe this. Thus, I quote Geno.
My thoughts exactly!

Reaction Score
Can you imagine all the high school female basketball players watching this? I hope they think, "Wow! I want to come to UConn, and learn to play like that." Now, of course, PB has immense, immense talent. But, like D, Maya, and Stewie, she came to be coached by Geno and CD.

We shall see. I think Paige is our finest recruiter.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Paige is so fundamentally pure, it defies description. Even shots she misses are good shots and she is almost always on line. And she is definitely stronger. Some of those inside drives were very physical. And 0 turnovers.

Hope Azzi's competitive juices start to flow and she gets on board.

Reaction Score
Paige is so fundamentally pure, it defies description. Even shots she misses are good shots and she is almost always on line. And she is definitely stronger. Some of those inside drives were very physical. And 0 turnovers.

I was thinking the same thing. People say Azzi has more upside than Paige. Even if they are only a little wrong!

We shall see.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing. People say Azzi has more upside than Paige. Even if they are only a little wrong!

We shall see.
People do not appreciate it but Paige is wired different and even her most talented team mates are not. If she feels nerves (which I doubt), she channels them so well. Azzi will work her way through her freshman year slowly building up her confidence. Hopefully, she will be able to get to her level come tournament time

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So, wasn't there someone on this board who made the prediction during the last week or so that we had seen the last of Paige scoring 30 points?
Yes. That was me. :oops::oops::oops::oops:

And thank god she listened to Geno and not me. I am revising it to, she does not score less than 30 pts this year ;)

Reaction Score
Who needs an A game when we have a superlative B game?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just one more thought, was that the first time Paige's family watched her play in CT? If so, she sure looked inspired by their presence.
I think the family (dad + ?) was at the SC game

Reaction Score
For sure, we will need our "A" game against SC or Stanford. Whoever brings her "A" game deep in the tournament, wins. Period.

Reaction Score
People do not appreciate it but Paige is wired different and even her most talented team mates are not. If she feels nerves (which I doubt), she channels them so well. Azzi will work her way through her freshman year slowly building up her confidence. Hopefully, she will be able to get to her level come tournament time
My observation too. Paige and Azzi may have similar levels of talent, but they have very different temperaments. Paige has confidence+; Azzi needs to build hers.

Paige has never looked tentative—she turns her nerves outward. Azzi looks tentative—she turns her nerves inward.

I have no doubts Azzi will work through and build her confidence. She will need more time, like most freshman. Paige is an outlier in many ways.

Reaction Score

I swear she went over 4 defenders for that one bucket!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The biggest thing I noticed (and was surprised by) is that Paige is still playing off the ball. I saw the game in person, and I don't remember one instance where she brought the ball up after Arkansas scored or after a stoppage. The only time she did was when she got a rebound, or someone else got a rebound and she was the nearest guard.

Evina was the PG at the beginning of the game, and when Nika came in, she did that job. Paige was simply not in that role.

I am surprised that Geno did this, but (as is often the case) it appears that it was a good decision.

Reaction Score

We shall see.
Yeah, it’s baffling to me how casually (quite a lot of people) insist that Azzi is better than Paige! Paige is quite possibly already one of the top three players in UConn history! I wish Azzi all the best and fully expect her to be a very good (perhaps even great) player but Paige is clearly a once in a generation talent and to expect any freshman to be better than her is simply wishful thinking at this point. Having said that, obviously I would be delighted if she proves me wrong!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
This. As I watched her in the game, I thought it’s like she has “matrix” vision. It’s as if everything around her slows down and she can do whatever she wants. She doesn’t seem bothered by the defense at all. It is really stunning to watch.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
So, wasn't there someone on this board who made the prediction during the last week or so that we had seen the last of Paige scoring 30 points?
Well, I said Paige probably wouldn't average 20 ppg this season, which still remains to be seen. I thought the first quarter proved my point. But, if the rest of the team is missing, Paige showed she is willing to take over. You have to believe the rest of the team will pick up the slack in the future.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Somewhat ironic, given that UConn was up 17-2 after five minutes, the same MOV after 40 minutes.

Reaction Score
Had some great seats today to watch the action. Paige just amazed me (and everyone else). She simply plays the game at a different level. She finished strong on a number of very difficult drives through multiple defenders. Her pull up midrange shots were a thing of beauty. What a special treat viewing her performance up close today. She also played some of the best defense today!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom