It's supposed to be difficult. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It's supposed to be difficult.

Reaction Score
I understand that argument but the only way the committee gets there is by throwing out their metrics and admitting that UConn is better than they've shown. If our season doesn't count, why should anyone else's?
Good post!
Out of ignorance, is there a precedent in recent history of the committee considering factors such as that. Seems to me that there is. Heck, UConn was without the bleeping player of the year!

Reaction Score
very true, but up to now the huskies havent beaten anyone really worth mentioning except tennessee. no one, regardless of the past injuries and who is healthy now, is going to be looking at uconn with a lot of trepidation. lets let them play and see whats what.
UConn NEVER beats anyone OOC and they've been to a hundred straight final 4's. I'm not going to rehash this season. We know UConn's history and we know the trials and tribulations they've gone through this year, including 11 weeks without maybe the best women's basketball player in the world. Do the math!

Reaction Score
When we lost to SCarolina, Fudd took 1 shot, Muhl played three minutes and Caroline didn't play at all. We were down 1 through 3 qtrs, and lost the 4th 16-3.
When we lost to, Louisville we were up through 3 qtrs and lost the 4th qtr again. Fudd and Bueckers missed that game. The Oregon game we were missing the Fudd, Bueckers and Williams. Caroline was our leading scorer for Oregon and Louisville.
To minimize how much better we are now vs those games makes no sense to me. Its like totally ignoring the quality of players Fudd and Bueckers are. Do you even watch the games?
Ho hum, we have Fudd and Bueckers, so what....

Reaction Score
When we lost to SCarolina, Fudd took 1 shot, Muhl played three minutes and Caroline didn't play at all. We were down 1 through 3 qtrs, and lost the 4th 16-3.
When we lost to, Louisville we were up through 3 qtrs and lost the 4th qtr again. Fudd and Bueckers missed that game. The Oregon game we were missing the Fudd, Bueckers and Williams. Caroline was our leading scorer for Oregon and Louisville.
To minimize how much better we are now vs those games makes no sense to me. Its like totally ignoring the quality of players Fudd and Bueckers are. Do you even watch the games?
Ho hum, we have Fudd and Bueckers, so what....
whose fault was it Fudd took one shot? Excuses at some point have to end, SC was better in every phase of that game. It didn't matter who Uconn played, nobody could stop Boston. If they can't stop Boston, it doesn't matter who is on the floor.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I do want to state for the record that I believe the Huskies can beat anyone in the tourney, including South Carolina and Stanford. I don’t care where they’re ranked, if they play to their potential, the Huskies can beat whoever is in their path. Heck, the UConn men won the championship as a #3 seed in 2011 and as a #7 seed in 2014. They didn’t care about their seed or where they were sent, they just played their game and won.

My points have been that UConn, which is quite special to us, should be just another team to the committee. No special treatment unless we’re willing for other teams to get the white glove treatment without complaint. If the criteria are such that UConn deserves a certain seed, one that another team would get under the exact same circumstances, then that’s the seed they should get. If Notre Dame got a higher seed because someone just recovered from an injury, this board would go ballistic. Why wouldn’t we hold our team to the same standard set for others?
Nobody is saying they should get special treatment. The opposite is more the case. That they get undervalued in a way that makes them more of an earlier round obstacle to a team that doesn’t deserve it. We are a seeding problem for the committee. That’s all.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
@MD#12Fan you'll forgive me for not doing your research for you...
So you guys are saying that the committee should just recognize that UConn is now UConn again and will probably play at a higher level in the tournament than they have at any point in the season. Recognizing this, they should bump the Huskies ahead of a couple teams that have had better seasons. Shouldn't matter right, I mean they're not UConn, after all. And they should do this, not because they love UConn, but out of concern for the teams that might have to play us? Got it. Why not just give us a bye to the final and solve everyone's problem.

Reaction Score
If I’m Dawn, I respect UConn (and Stanford, NC State, Louisville, et al) but I’m not afraid of any of them. They’re the #1 team, UConn is #7 - for a reason. Who, exactly, has UConn beaten this year that makes them so fearsome?

The blue glasses need to come off. This year’s team is full of promise but unproven. The team has to walk the walk now, beating up Seton Hall and Marquette isn‘t going to make anyone afraid of the Huskies
The latest reveal had UConn #9

Reaction Score
@MD#12Fan you'll forgive me for not doing your research for you...
So you guys are saying that the committee should just recognize that UConn is now UConn again and will probably play at a higher level in the tournament than they have at any point in the season. Recognizing this, they should bump the Huskies ahead of a couple teams that have had better seasons. Shouldn't matter right, I mean they're not UConn, after all. And they should do this, not because they love UConn, but out of concern for the teams that might have to play us? Got it. Why not just give us a bye to the final and solve everyone's problem.
I forgive you!
I do think that you are taking one side of the equation and kind of blowing it up. (Hyperbole)
Most times in a legitimate argument it is good to take a step back and look at the philosophical basis for the issue.
Why is there seeding at all? Is it more important to have fair matchups throughout the tournament, with the best teams potentially meeting in the biggest games or to best reward each team for the seasons that they had? Or both are equally important? Of course injury to a big-time team must be considered. You may end up with this perfect 1-64 set-up based solely on the results of the season, with little or no consideration of extenuating circumstances. Maybe you're right, that's the best. For no one concerned, would it be desirable for UConn, playing its best ball of the season, to play SC in a regional final. IMO

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Again, fair points (except that I would not, in a million years, resort to hyperbole). I do think you've hit the mark on where we disagree and that is the nature and purpose of seeding. In my view, the tournament is seeded to reflect, as accurately as possible, the season to that point. It should not be about the committee trying to engineer or avoid specific pre-determined matchups. To your last point, I think Stanford, NC State, and Louisville would all love to see USC-UConn in the E8. That's not a reason to give it to them, I'm just saying, everything's in somebody's interest.

Reaction Score
In 2016 yes I think teams mighta said we don't want Uconn in our bracket, but now it's 2022 and the past seasons we've seen schools like Mississippi State and Arizona beat them in the tournament and some of that "invincibility" seems to be gone. In the past many teams the game was over before it even started because it said Uconn on the opposing team's jerseys. Now teams welcome the challenge because they know what a great opportunity it is and if they beat Uconn recruits definitely follow. Vic Schafer went on to get a big time job, Adia Barnes is having her best recruiting class yet.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I forgive you!
I do think that you are taking one side of the equation and kind of blowing it up. I(Hyperbole)
Most times in a legitimate argument it is good to take a step back and look at the philosophical basis for the issue.
Why is there seeding at all? Is it more important to have fair matchups throughout the tournament, with the best teams potentially meeting in the biggest games or to best reward each team for the seasons that they had? Or both are equally important? Of course injury to a big-time team must be considered. You may end up with this perfect 1-64 set-up based solely on the results of the season, with little or no consideration of extenuating circumstances. Maybe you're right, that's the best. For no one concerned, would it be desirable for UConn, playing its best ball of the season, to play SC in a ret gii itosnal final. IMOs wha
The reason UConn is a seeding issue for the committee in fairness to other top teams is, lest we forget, UConn was considered top 5 or higher pre season and the only game they played close to that ranking personnel wise was against SC. Aside from Griffin who I discount because she didn’t play all year, the team taking the court now is the team that was so highly ranked pre season and is starting to look the part and Paige was being held back. She’s a huge wild card in how she fits right now, but we have to be much more of a threat with her. To boot, the two most touted freshman on the team have the season under their belts. Three of the losses were against good teams with zero or 1 practice without a key component Even against Villanova, the worst loss, the team started to find its rhythm and almost pulled it out. It is what it is and let the chips fall where they may, yadayadayada. I have no doubt we are the committees biggest seeding issue.

Reaction Score
The reason UConn is a seeding issue for the committee in fairness to other top teams is, lest we forget, UConn was considered top 5 or higher pre season and the only game they played close to that ranking personnel wise was against SC. Aside from Griffin who I discount because she didn’t play all year, the team taking the court now is the team that was so highly ranked pre season and is starting to look the part and Paige was being held back. She’s a huge wild card in how she fits right now, but we have to be much more of a threat with her. To boot, the two most touted freshman on the team have the season under their belts. Three of the losses were against good teams with zero or 1 practice without a key component Even against Villanova, the worst loss, the team started to find its rhythm and almost pulled it out. It is what it is and let the chips fall where they may, yadayadayada. I have no doubt we are the committees biggest seeding issue.
Like.
Did you mean to say, to boot? Could we please stop talking about boots? Just kidding

Reaction Score
UConn NEVER beats anyone OOC and they've been to a hundred straight final 4's. I'm not going to rehash this season. We know UConn's history and we know the trials and tribulations they've gone through this year, including 11 weeks without maybe the best women's basketball player in the world. Do the math!
I know how math works, no worries

Reaction Score
If I’m Dawn, I respect UConn (and Stanford, NC State, Louisville, et al) but I’m not afraid of any of them. They’re the #1 team, UConn is #7 - for a reason. Who, exactly, has UConn beaten this year that makes them so fearsome?

The blue glasses need to come off. This year’s team is full of promise but unproven. The team has to walk the walk now, beating up Seton Hall and Marquette isn‘t going to make anyone afraid of the Huskies

In the 1st place the post you answered never used "fear". Dawn would voice concern, just like Geno and Mulkey did last year. She's ready to face UConn but having to do it in the E8 is an unfair path for the overall 1 seed.

As for "who have they beaten?" I read that a lot. I can only point to the NET, the NCAA's own analytic to measure a team's performance. If UConn didn't beat anyone they wouldn't be No. 5 in the NET. Nan you are still thinking in terms of RPI, which only recorded who won and who lost. The NET asks "How did you play?" And NET said good enough to be ranked 5th.

Reaction Score
In the 1st place the post you answered never used "fear". Dawn would voice concern, just like Geno and Mulkey did last year. She's ready to face UConn but having to do it in the E8 is an unfair path for the overall 1 seed.

As for "who have they beaten?" I read that a lot. I can only point to the NET, the NCAA's own analytic to measure a team's performance. If UConn didn't beat anyone they wouldn't be No. 5 in the NET. Nan you are still thinking in terms of RPI, which only recorded who won and who lost. The NET asks "How did you play?" And NET said good enough to be ranked 5th.
idc about who you played, you can play 10 ranked teams and be 0-10, I care about WHO YOU BEAT. Uconn beat a Tenn team that is spiraling, and a Notre Dame team who just got their doors blownout by Louisville who most people would sa is overrated. Now look at South Carolina resume: blowout over Uconn, down 17 at home to #2 Stanford and cameback to win, beat Nc st at Nc st #3 team. Wins over #11 Maryland, #10 Lsu, #25 Ole Miss, #24 Georgia, #18 Tenn and #23 Florida. Nobody compares to them.

Reaction Score
I understand that argument but the only way the committee gets there is by throwing out their metrics and admitting that UConn is better than they've shown. If our season doesn't count, why should anyone else's?

read the rules for seeding. The NCAA's own metric has UConn ranked 5th in the country.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/ch...omen/D1WBB_BracketPrinciplesandProcedures.pdf

Criteria used by the Division I Women’s Basketball Committee to evaluate a team includes (alphabetically): ● Availability of talent (injured or unavailable players) ● Bad losses ● Common opponents ● Competitive in losses ● Conference record ● Early competition versus late competition ● Head‐to‐head outcomes ● NET ranking ● Non‐conference record ● Overall record ● Regional Advisory Committee region rankings ● Significant wins ● Strength of conference

Reaction Score
The NET isn't the RPI. https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/ch...omen/D1WBB_BracketPrinciplesandProcedures.pdf

"The NCAA Evaluation Tool (NET) for women’s basketball is the
contemporary sorting tool used to measure a team’s quality
and help evaluate team resumes for selection and seeding in
played, where you played, how efficiently you played and the
result of the game.
The women’s basketball NET includes Adjusted Net Efficiency
and Team Value Index. Adjusted Net Efficiency is a measure
of a team’s overall performance during the regular season,
determined by the difference between offensive efficiency
(points per possession) and defensive efficiency (opponents
points per possession). It also accounts for strength of
opponents (as measured by their adjusted net efficiency) and
location (home/away/neutral) of the games (against Division I
opponents only). Team Value Index is the results‐oriented
component of the NET, ranking more highly those teams that
played and beat other good teams, factoring in opponent,
location of the game and winner.
The NET is one of many criteria used by the Division I
Women’s Basketball Committee in the selection of the 36 at‐
large teams and seeding of the 68 teams which make up the
bracket for the Division I Women’s Basketball Championship"

Reaction Score

UConn's record has them ranked 5th by NET. So they must have played someone.

Never? Last year UConn beat SCar, Tenn, Louis. and Baylor. I realize that isn't MD Eastern Shore but we think they were pretty good.

Reaction Score
Have you actually followed UConn before this season?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
read the rules for seeding. The NCAA's own metric has UConn ranked 5th in the country.
They rank 5th in one of 13 factors. Maybe not so high in significant wins, bad losses, or strength of conference. I'm assuming the bold on availability of talent is yours? It's not really clear how that gets applied. I can see it for a player missing some time in season like Liv, Christyn, or Caroline but we had bad losses with them. I'm not at all sure how you apply it for a player that's been out all year and been back for 25 minutes. BLUF for me is that seeding is, and should be, based on performance and not potential. Winning out from a 3 or 2 seed will be all the sweeter.

Reaction Score
They rank 5th in one of 13 factors. Maybe not so high in significant wins, bad losses, or strength of conference. I'm assuming the bold on availability of talent is yours? It's not really clear how that gets applied. I can see it for a player missing some time in season like Liv, Christyn, or Caroline but we had bad losses with them. I'm not at all sure how you apply it for a player that's been out all year and been back for 25 minutes. BLUF for me is that seeding is, and should be, based on performance and not potential. Winning out from a 3 or 2 seed will be all the sweeter.

You are missing the point.

"NET ranking is determined by who you played, where you played, how efficiently you played and the result of the game. "

It covers SOS and unlike wins/losses it measures how a team performed in each game. Teams that mail in 6 games a year gets penalized, even if they beat some ranked teams.

They rank 5th overall. Many of the other factors are included in the NET. And some of those factors include things that are only used to compare teams that are trying to make the field of 68. UConn fans think the problem is seeding the top 16 but the real headache is picking the last 6 teams when the eligible list has 20 teams. That's where things like "head to head" or "conference ranking" come into play.

sun

Reaction Score
If UConn is being treated as the overall #9 seed, which is the strongest #3 seed, #9 would be considered to be the logical choice to be placed in the Greensboro region with the strongest #1 seed.

Conversely, if UConn were the overall #5 seed, which is the strongest #2 seed, #5 would be considered to be the logical choice to be placed in the Greensboro region with the strongest #1 seed.
That's why #5 Michigan has been placed there in the Feb. 28th reveal.

There's virtually little to no difference in being assigned either seed.
Either way as the #5 or #9, UConn would be destined to play SC in the Elite 8 if it survives the Sweet 16.
And it would also be a test for SC cancelling the rematch for the benefit of both teams to play at a later date.
Had UConn played that SC game and lost due to injuries, it may have dropped UConn's seeding even lower.
It seems like UConn ended up losing to Villanova instead of SC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You're right it's not all about UCONN. SO what do you think is going to happen if UCONN plays SC before the FF and beats them? After Dawn being gracious and congratulate Geno and UCONN (which she will do), what do you think she is going to say next or be asked next? It'[s going to be about the seeding.

Secondly, while a matchup is expected of 1 vs 2, what was the highest viewed game this year? Wasn't SC UCON the highest? I could be wrong. And last year in the E8 UCONN Baylor was enormous competing even with the men on CBS. Can you imagine the draw of last year's number 1 player back from an injury vs possibly Boston being this year's number 1 player? And having the last two Olympic coaches going head-to-head. And while the NCAA Final got great ratings --

Last year Semifinal UCONN vs Arizona had strong ratings too. Ratings make it better for WCBB. And having star power in the FF only adds to that excitement. And UCONN has that. So yes for WCBB fans and overall any fan of basketball, then it is definitely more than just UCONN.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom