It's Official: Adams, Smith, and Yakwe | The Boneyard

It's Official: Adams, Smith, and Yakwe

Reaction Score
Hurley's comments on each:

Adams: “Brendan is really talented combo guard who can score on all three levels,” Hurley said. “He will help us as a really good ball-screen player and a strong perimeter shooter. He is someone who will be a big part of both our short-term and long-term plans.”

Smith: “Tarin is someone I obviously have great familiarity with, since he played for my father and played in my conference for the last two years,” Hurley said. “He gives us a veteran guard with a wealth of experience and outstanding athleticism. His ability to create offensively and the impact he can have defensively is exciting.”

Yakwe: “Early in his career, Kassoum was one of the better young defenders in the Big East, and he brings that rim protection and athletic ability to our frontcourt,” Hurley said. “With the pressure-man style of defense I like to play, it’s essential to have frontcourt players who can protect the rim. That falls in line with Kassoum’s strengths, so I feel that he will have a chance to have a big impact on the program.”

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hurley's comments on each:

Adams: “Brendan is really talented combo guard who can score on all three levels,” Hurley said. “He will help us as a really good ball-screen player and a strong perimeter shooter. He is someone who will be a big part of both our short-term and long-term plans.”

Smith: “Tarin is someone I obviously have great familiarity with, since he played for my father and played in my conference for the last two years,” Hurley said. “He gives us a veteran guard with a wealth of experience and outstanding athleticism. His ability to create offensively and the impact he can have defensively is exciting.”

Yakwe: “Early in his career, Kassoum was one of the better young defenders in the Big East, and he brings that rim protection and athletic ability to our frontcourt,” Hurley said. “With the pressure-man style of defense I like to play, it’s essential to have frontcourt players who can protect the rim. That falls in line with Kassoum’s strengths, so I feel that he will have a chance to have a big impact on the program.”

So much to like here. But the reference to "pressure man defense" is music to my ears. I think we are going to see a UConn team that plays more like a UConn team on the defensive end.

Reaction Score
With all those guards I suspected pressure, which does not necessarily mean full court
Turning people over with intense on ball commitment leaves you vulnerable to penetration ,so a rim defender like Yakwe is essential .
That was the same game plan as last year until Gilbert’s injury.
Reserves are important in this game plan.
DO was suppose to be that guy but was such an offensive liability that his minimal contribution on defense were completely over shadowed.
Unless this kid is injured he should be at a significantly higher level as DO was a desperation add when Enoch bolted for greener (bluegrass ) pastures.
When CV comes back with Smith , JAdams ,and especially Gilbert you have four guards capable of disrupting your offense or turning you over.. opposing coaches and guards will not be happy playing us.
Shooting is still the limiting factor in significant success but I would suspect the D to keep us in some games.
PS I don’t like to put any pressure on freshman like Adams II.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I might be pushing it a little but I think the NCAA tournament is this teams destiny come next March. The AAC is down a little and it is time UConn comes to the forefront in the conference

Reaction Score
I get the feeling that Smith may be better than we (or at least I) originally thought. Guys who average 17 points and 5 assists per 40 minutes don't grow on trees.

Reaction Score
“Brendan is really talented combo guard who can score on all three levels,”

What does it mean to score on 3 levels?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Like that we gave them the same number. Will help to confuse the refs and opponents,
giphy.gif

Reaction Score

Scoring from the interior (around the hoop), midrange, and from the three point line.

Reaction Score

I read that as the ability to score 1) at the basket 2) from midrange and 3) from 3

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
I see Hurley hasn't gotten to the uniform change yet. I hate to bring it up but in this picture Adams is facing us but you can still see most of his upper back muscles. SMH

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I see Hurley has gotten to the uniform change yet. I hate to bring it up but in this picture Adams is facing us but you can still see most of his upper back muscles. SMH

What? Please use English in your next complaint.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I see Hurley has gotten to the uniform change yet. I hate to bring it up but in this picture Adams is facing us but you can still see most of his upper back muscles. SMH
What? Please use English in your next complaint.
Just change has to hasn’t and it reads fine.

The track style jerseys suck, but I think it’s up to Nike.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score

My take on Yakwe. Too lazy to retype this on my phone right now. Just needs to keep it simple, attack the rim on O, protect the rim on D.

Seems like a theme with our senior bigs. Get out of your own way.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So much to like here. But the reference to "pressure man defense" is music to my ears. I think we are going to see a UConn team that plays more like a UConn team on the defensive end.
I like this "He will help us as a really good ball-screen player...". My God, a screen! Is that indicative of an actual offense? I love it!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom