It's obvious Gilbert is very important | The Boneyard

It's obvious Gilbert is very important

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Team beat Oregon in Oregon, and competed with highly ranked Mich St team that's blowing everyone else off the court. Sometime during that game, Gilbert re injured his shoulder and things have regressed since that moment.

Now younger and less talented and less experienced kids have to fill bigger rolls. They can learn to do that, but it just doesn't happen quickly. It's not about flipping a light switch or something.

Hopefully Gilbert returns, and if he does we'll have a much more successful season. If he doesn't, we won't win as many games. That's just basketball 101

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
I have a feeling he is resting that shoulder as much as possible so that he can come back into the lineup during conference play. All this rehab he is doing must be benefiting him greatly. Watch him come back and all of a sudden we start dominating. Trying to stay hopeful...

Reaction Score
Team beat Oregon in Oregon, and competed with highly ranked Mich St team that's blowing everyone else off the court. Sometime during that game, Gilbert re injured his shoulder and things have regressed since that moment.

Now younger and less talented and less experienced kids have to fill bigger rolls. They can learn to do that, but it just doesn't happen quickly. It's not about flipping a light switch or something.

Hopefully Gilbert returns, and if he does we'll have a much more successful season. If he doesn't, we won't win as many games. That's just basketball 101
Gilbert I have felt was the most important player on the team for the last two years. Not the best player but the most important because of what he would provide over a full season especially after he got rid of the the rust and adjusted to the speed and size of division 1. As the season goes on most games end up being close in score and decided in the last few minutes. That is when quickness is lethal. Unfortunately we may never get to see what he was capable of.

Reaction Score
No excuses this year. Ollie has enough players to the point that one player being out should not make a huge difference. Others need to step up. I mean, of course it is a little different, but the Warriors seem to have not missed a step after Currys injury. The best teams carry on even after one of their players is injured, plain and simple.

Reaction Score
Alterique's presence on the court will be missed greatly. Greatly. I am really hoping he is able to play this season, but if not, I wish him a speedy and complete recovery. I agree with Willie99's post for the most part. Syracuse game would have been different with Gilbert on the floor. The team is more composed with him playing, plus a dozen other ways he impacts the game.

willie99

Reaction Score
No excuses this year. Ollie has enough players to the point that one player being out should not make a huge difference. Others need to step up. I mean, of course it is a little different, but the Warriors seem to have not missed a step after Currys injury. The best teams carry on even after one of their players is injured, plain and simple.

OMG, now a Warriors reference

1) now injuries DON"T MATTER

2) the Warriors can overcome them with PROs, so Ollie must overcome them at the beginning of the season with an entirely new roster of kids

They can't even admit that things were improving and changed AFTER Gilbert went down. They're so full of hate, they're so vested in Ollie being seen has a failure, they're blinded by their own anger

Last edited:

willie99

Reaction Score
We cannot count on Gilbert, ever. If he gives us anything it's gravy.

You may be right, but they were counting on him for this year

Reaction Score
So with your reasoning, had we lost Shabazz, the 2014 team's lead point guard, we would have been just fine that season? Everyone else would have stepped up and we would have won the national title? Yeah..ok. Ridiculous comment! Our team thrives when we have three solid guards, with two being solid PGs. Right now, there is no one capable of stepping into AG's shoes, who we've hardly seen at full speed. CV has been great for us, but he is not the true point that AG is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So with your reasoning, had we lost Shabazz, the 2014 team's lead point guard, we would have been just fine that season? Everyone else would have stepped up and we would have won the national title? Yeah..ok. Ridiculous comment! Our team thrives when we have three solid guards, with two being solid PGs. Right now, there is no one capable of stepping into AG's shoes, who we've hardly seen at full speed. CV has been great and is , but he is not the true point that AG is.
Where did I say anything about SN and winning the championship? But IF you mention it, that team would have still been competitive and made the field. Missing one player is not an excuse to suddenly drop in regards to being competitive to the extent that we have seen with AG missing. Uconn has enough bodies and talent this year to make the field AG or not.

willie99

Reaction Score
#brokenrecord

#Kingofthem

every thread, every topic
Where did I say anything about SN and winning the championship? But IF you mention it, that team would have still been competitive and made the field. Missing one player is not an excuse to suddenly drop in regards to being competitive to the extent that we have seen with AG missing. Uconn has enough bodies and talent this year to make the field AG or not.

OK, so if you're talking about making the field, that's another story, they have time to adjust and evolve

But if they're supposed to play as if his injury doesn't matter immediately after he's injured, then I disagree

Reaction Score
I think it's very obvious that Gilbert going down has changed the confidence of this team, and guys like Vital & AA (as much as I love them) aren't going to fill his unique void and skill-set.

As much as Gilbert's absence crushed us in the 2nd half of the PK80, I could argue Cobb's did as well on another level.

I was at the Jimmy V Classic like most on here were and, IMO, Cobb was the most noticeable spark (other than Jalen & CV late).

You could tell his ankle was still bothering him a bit, especially when running the court end to end. But aside from his size down low, passing ability & ball handling he brings a toughness and edge to his game; a big personality that knows how to pump guys up. I know you all saw him getting the fans going late in the game while he was on the bench. On one of our guards And-1s (I think it was Jalen) he ran over and gave him a big congratulatory shove in the back sending him flying.

Reminds me of a bigger Draymond Green (minus the shooting obviously). His toughness, skill and big personality on the court is just what the doctor ordered for this team. Hopefully his ankle heals up fast and he has a big season. Without Gilbert we're going to need it from him.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
So with your reasoning, had we lost Shabazz, the 2014 team's lead point guard, we would have been just fine that season? Everyone else would have stepped up and we would have won the national title? Yeah..ok. Ridiculous comment! Our team thrives when we have three solid guards, with two being solid PGs. Right now, there is no one capable of stepping into AG's shoes, who we've hardly seen at full speed. CV has been great and is , but he is not the true point that AG is.

Plus the entire Warriors team is full of All-Stars. Horrible analogy. And college does not compare with NBA. Different style game.

Reaction Score
No excuses this year. Ollie has enough players to the point that one player being out should not make a huge difference. Others need to step up.

You mention that one player being out should not make a huge difference, then in the next post you suggest that without Bazz in 2014, we would have still been competitive and.... made the field?? Thats significantly different than winning the title and is a huge difference. You managed to counter your own argument.

Reaction Score
I just don't understand how we don't recruit another PG with this injury looming the last two years.

But again, not KO fault, just bad luck! How was he supposed to know his starting PG has a chronic injury! Sad!

Reaction Score
Really sucks we lost/might lose Rique. But maybe we need to have a roster that isn't one injury away (from a kid who played 3 total games in his career) from derailing our entire season.

Just a crazy thought

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But again, not KO fault, just bad luck! How was he supposed to know his starting PG has a chronic injury! Sad!

I agree, not KO's fault. And since it appears that having an excuse for losing is just as good as winning, where's the clamor for a contract extension?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom