It's not coaching | Page 8 | The Boneyard

It's not coaching

Reaction Score
Actually, I would argue Hurley did a poor job of having guards on the roster this year. College basketball is about guard play and we do not have good guard play. We all knew going onto this season that UConn did not have a point guard and we hoped the point guard by committee would work, but we can now see that this was a flawed idea.
Danny kept hoping AJ would be that guy.

Reaction Score
It is time to stop blaming everything on the coaches. Players must take some responsibility. Need a win badly to get some of their swagger and confidence back.
Coaches aren’t stepping on out-of-bounds lines. Every game…

Reaction Score
They don’t need to be. But I’m not going to sit here and hold guys who didn’t win anything as some standard either.

Hell none of these guys are some of KO’s best recruits either.
I hear ya. But we haven’t been the standard you’re holding them to since ‘09.

Both our recent Championships were miracle runs after mediocre conference play at best.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
When your only offensive strategy is either bump screen for a 3 or throw down low -its the coaching
When a team has absolutely zero mid range offense - its the coaching
When the opposing team starts to turn the tide and you refuse to call a TO- its the coaching
When your best shooter (Hawkins) starts off hot, the opposing coach starts double teaming him and you don't figure out a way the rest of the game to free him up- it's the coaching
When I can predict when you are going to change up rotations on que and you don't think the opposing team can't- its the coaching
Failure to get improvement out of just 1 of your portal guards- it's the coaching
Seeing you preseason POY try to take on the whole opposing team while power dribbling under the hoop and then allow him to play Doncic like passive D - it's the coaching

I could go on but at this point - what difference is it going to make

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Coaches aren’t stepping on out-of-bounds lines. Every game…
SHALLOW
The players aren't designing the system they are expected to play

Reaction Score
Obviously a lot of problems, but one question I have is why Sanogo plays like a finesse center with his body type? Is this coaching or just his natural tendency. Have him spend the next week just watching film of Dejuan Blair. Dude needs to get nasty.

Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure that the coaches have probably told Sanogo 1,000 times to look to pass when double and triple teamed. 3 times in the game today he had the ball in the lane being double teamed with a wide open teammate facing him for a three with no defender in sight and AS decided not to pass, shot and missed himself. I’m pretty sure that’s not what is preached by the coaches and the poor decision is not on the coaches.

coaching is not 100% of the problem, as some on this board want us to believe. If Hurley was on the bench today he would be getting crucified.

Nooo this is coaching.

We have a stud back up to replace Adama if he is playing poorly. Instead they let the same thing happen over and over again.

There are no repercussions for awful lazy play.

Reaction Score
If you thought Clingan played well in the 2h you are more lost than I thought
Unfortunately still better than Sanogo. Good first half for Sanogo, disappeared in the second half ( missed a lot of easy ones).

Reaction Score
Adama -12 in 28 mins
Clingan +11 in 12 mins

We needed him the defensive end. Our guards play better on the offensive end with him.

I guess accepting committing 10+ turnovers trying to force feed Sanogo is a good thing is your hill to die on
I’d like to see their +/- for the past 6 games. I think just about every game except Creighton is similar to the above.
Clingan makes others better. Does Sanogo?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I hear ya. But we haven’t been the standard you’re holding them to since ‘09.

Both our recent Championships were miracle runs after mediocre conference play at best.
I don’t think asking guys to get out of the first round is a high standard. We’ve done that.

RJ Cole and Tyrese Martin did not win us one game in clutch time that we weren’t expected to win besides Nova. The way some people talk about them you’d think they got us to the Sweet Sixteen and didn’t lead us to first round upsets.

Even in those “miracle” years it was clear we had the best player in the country in Kemba and Shabazz all year. Please stop trying to compare.

Reaction Score
False. Only one of those missed layups made a us lose
Oh bro, that was straight up sarcasm lol.

Sanogos bunny with 50 seconds left could have been made by a 3rd grader.

Also, if Karaban hit that 3 in the corner we win

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Good Lord. I’m not disagreeing with anything your saying about the coaching staff. My point is “bad coaching” and all our All American center choked the game away by missing a bunny. There is no Clingan scenario if the 6’9 beast dunks the freaking ball.
Which was not guaranteed as he already missed a dunk earlier in the half ;-)

Clingan did play a rotten 2nd half, but he should've been on the floor with a minute left for rebounding. It would've been the right call regardless how many bunnies he missed.

Reaction Score
I don’t think asking guys to get out of the first round is a high standard. We’ve done that.

RJ Cole and Tyrese Martin did not win us one game in clutch time that we weren’t expected to win besides Nova. The way some people talk about them you’d think they got us to the Sweet Sixteen and didn’t lead us to first round upsets.

Even in those “miracle” years it was clear we had the best player in the country in Kemba and Shabazz all year. Please stop trying to compare.
I haven’t made a comparison at all. Tyrese would be huge for us this year, but that doesn’t mean diddly squat. He ain’t here.

All I’m saying is we haven’t had a dominant team that expected to win each game they suited up since 09

Reaction Score
I want to see an end to post up as No. 1 option. It takes away Jackson and Newton's best attribute (driving) and turns Hawkins into a spot up shooter.

Also, Sanogo doesn't pass out of the post. Way too crowded there. He bullies himself in the basket, but the lack of movement on offense absolutely kills UConn's energy. If he gets a post touches, he has to put it right back out. But, I just can't stand isolation basetkball in the post. I want ball movement and cutting.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
Don't care. He lost two years in a row in the first round. That is unacceptable. With Jay Wright now gone, we are the best brand in a top 4 league. We should be a second weekend team 4 out of 5 years.
How many teams in the country have made second weekend 4 of the last 5?

Gonzaga? Michigan? These expectations feel unrealistic

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
How many programs have 4 titles? We have higher standards here. I know Gonzaga has. Kansas probably has and maybe a few others.
We HAD higher standards until the fanbase disappeared and now fans are content with mediocre (if that) performances.

Reaction Score
I think they are and teams figured it out in December
Fair lol. But I don’t think they figured out the system. They figured out Sanogo takes 20 seconds to make a decision within the system.

His ability to bring the offense to a stall hoping for a falling away 3 footer is brutal. He’s not even hitting his bread and butter turn around any more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom