OT: - It's Done. The ACC votes to accept Stanford, Cal and SMU. (Merged) | The Boneyard

OT: It's Done. The ACC votes to accept Stanford, Cal and SMU. (Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ACC presidents and chancellors met Friday morning and voted to add three schools -- Stanford, Cal and SMU, sources told ESPN. It will bring the league to 18 members -- 17 will play football full time in the league. The additions are in all sports and will begin in the 2024-25 school year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You didn't have to be a "seer" to see this coming. The Atlantic Coast Conference is expanding from its Eastern roots. The ACC presidents and chancellors met Friday morning and voted to add three schools -- Stanford, Cal, and SMU, sources told ESPN. It will bring the league to 18 members -- 17 will play football full-time in the league. The additions are in all sports and will begin in the 2024-25 school year. It was a 12-3 vote Friday with NC State flipping, multiple sources confirmed to ESPN's Andrea Adelson.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
And, again, Uconn is not included. What a surprise.
Yup. I really try to ignore all the conference realignment topics because it usually takes multiple years to take place. For example, it "seems" like Texas' and OU's Big12 defections was announced 4 or 5 years ago.
But, I digress.
I am actually wondering what SMU brings to the ACC table. Do they have a Pony Express v2 in their future? Or another Dandy Don??? Don't understand the ACC's interest in SMU sports.

Reaction Score
Not good for a state school like UConn. As money plays a bigger role in all things college sports, not being in a top conference has implications.

Reaction Score
The conference looks at three things when considering a school outside of the academic quality. First does the school already have the financial strength to stand on it's own, then does it benefit the conference in gaining a big TV market, and finally does the area provide a good bit of potential athletes.

Both Texas and California offer everything a conference would be looking for and more. SMU gives you the biggest market in Texas and Stanford and California give you the same out west. All three schools are very strong academically but I doubt any of them are hugely profitable in their athletics programs.

They have an odd number of teams so I wouldn't be surprised if they add one more and that could be a big BB draw and that certainly would favor a school like UCONN.

sun

Reaction Score
SMU has a lot of notable alumni, & enough money to buy its way into the ACC by not receiving any broadcast media revenue for 9 years.
The ACC still has less of a western presence than the Big 12.
IMO there's still hope for UConn to join the ACC in the future as the football program improves.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
SMU has a lot of notable alumni, & enough money to buy its way into the ACC by not receiving any broadcast media revenue for 9 years.
The ACC still has less of a western presence than the Big 12.
IMO there's still hope for UConn to join the ACC in the future as the football program improves.

The fact that SMU boosters are willing to help make it possible is huge. Forgoing TV revenues for 7 years is a of money.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Wake at Stanford in Field Hockey for the ACC title at 10pm on a Wednesday night

Bart-Scott-Cant-Wait.png

Reaction Score
Secretly still hoping for a UConn invite. Can you imagine a women’s basketball conference with UConn, Louisville, Stanford, and ND?!
IMG_0403.gif

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
The conference looks at three things when considering a school outside of the academic quality. First does the school already have the financial strength to stand on it's own, then does it benefit the conference in gaining a big TV market, and finally does the area provide a good bit of potential athletes.

Both Texas and California offer everything a conference would be looking for and more. SMU gives you the biggest market in Texas and Stanford and California give you the same out west. All three schools are very strong academically but I doubt any of them are hugely profitable in their athletics programs.

They have an odd number of teams so I wouldn't be surprised if they add one more and that could be a big BB draw and that certainly would favor a school like UCONN.
Sorry, but they do have an even number of teams.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
It would have made a lot more sense to add you guys to the A&P ACC than SMU. SMU has a tiny following.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
What did UConn do to these Schools/Conferences to barely gain interest in conference realignment. UConn seems like a natural ACC fit to me.

Reaction Score
What did UConn do to these Schools/Conferences to barely gain interest in conference realignment. UConn seems like a natural ACC fit to me.
I'm thinking as the Football team continues to improve, interest and opportunities will increase.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom