Its all Geno's Fault | The Boneyard

Its all Geno's Fault

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Wow this really hurts. Well I guess Geno CD and Shea will retire now and our starting five will transfer. Yep UConn is finished, dead, never to win another NC. What are you giving up? Giving up on UConn? Giving up on our coaching staff. Yesterday you were all talking about the greatest coaching staff and team in WCBB now youve changed your minds? Really Geno has set your expectations to high and thats his fault.

You know what. Im sick of reading this board this morning. We are all spoiled and expect to win every NC and get every top recruit and thats not realistic. Geno and UConns success has set our expectations way way way to high. What Geno and UConn have accomplished over the past few years is someplace that no other team has even dreamed of reaching. We get all the top players almost every season. We have players that have far exceeded the greatest players in the game. We have had success that has been unrealistic and now we are crying because we didnt get a top recruit which we all thought including me we didnt get. This reminds me of UConn not getting Diamond DeShields after I was told by a very reliable source that she was coming to UConn. Hey it happens.

We have a great nucleus of top players on our roster for next season and we are ranked number 2 this season with tremendous fire power and imo could very well win the NC. The difference is we are not invincible right now like we were with Stewie and the gang. But you know what we are still really really good.

We've got ONO a big who is very versatile. We have two terrific guards who can drive and shoot which will open up the middle. We have Meg a number 1 HS player and Im reading this thread and frankly its making me sick to my stomach with all the negative posts.

Hey we didnt get Boston so what we will get somebody else. The only word we need to think about is Next. We didnt get Boston Next. Maybe we get Jones Next. If we dont get Jones Next. If we do get Jones terrific Next.

I am sick to my stomach reading these doom and gloom posts of disappointment. I learned along time ago nobody wants to follow a negative dull disillusioned crybaby and many of these posts are just that. Im sorry folks we need to change our attitudes on this thread. We expect to much because Geno has given us so much. Geno doesnt need to change your attitudes need to change. Geno success is second to none. If we get Jones Van Lith Paige Azzi DeBarry Marshall or any combination your going to be boasting again how great Geno is how great UConn is and how we gonna win more NC's To many recruits parents and coaches read this board and your pouring gasoline on the fire. Geno doesnt need to change anything. His record speaks for itself.

We are the best team in WCBB. When UConn plays opponents know what they're in for. Hey one last point to think about? When was the last time UConn lost a regular season game and dont forget theyve had the tuffest OOC schedule in WCBB. Relax and be patient. Nothing is good as it seems and Nothing is bad as it appears. We are UConn be proud of it and respect it .

Reaction Score
My daughter attended UCONN between the Fall of 2004 and Spring of 2008. During that period neither the men nor the women's basketball team won a national championship. That has to be some kind of record for a UCONN grad. One wondered if and when we would win another. And then a Freshman named Maya came along, and later Stewie and KLS, etc. Things go in cycles. I'm sure we're not done yet.

Reaction Score
Wow this really hurts. Well I guess Geno CD and Shea will retire now and our starting five will transfer. Yep UConn is finished, dead, never to win another NC. What are you giving up? Giving up on UConn? Giving up on our coaching staff. Yesterday you were all talking about the greatest coaching staff and team in WCBB now youve changed your minds? Really Geno has set your expectations to high and thats his fault.

You know what. Im sick of reading this board this morning. We are all spoiled and expect to win every NC and get every top recruit and thats not realistic. Geno and UConns success has set our expectations way way way to high. What Geno and UConn have accomplished over the past few years is someplace that no other team has even dreamed of reaching. We get all the top players almost every season. We have players that have far exceeded the greatest players in the game. We have had success that has been unrealistic and now we are crying because we didnt get a top recruit which we all thought including me we didnt get. This reminds me of UConn not getting Diamond DeShields after I was told by a very reliable source that she was coming to UConn. Hey it happens.

We have a great nucleus of top players on our roster for next season and we are ranked number 2 this season with tremendous fire power and imo could very well win the NC. The difference is we are not invincible right now like we were with Stewie and the gang. But you know what we are still really really good.

We've got ONO a big who is very versatile. We have two terrific guards who can drive and shoot which will open up the middle. We have Meg a number 1 HS player and Im reading this thread and frankly its making me sick to my stomach with all the negative posts.

Hey we didnt get Boston so what we will get somebody else. The only word we need to think about is Next. We didnt get Boston Next. Maybe we get Jones Next. If we dont get Jones Next. If we do get Jones terrific Next.

I am sick to my stomach reading these doom and gloom posts of disappointment. I learned along time ago nobody wants to follow a negative dull disillusioned crybaby and many of these posts are just that. Im sorry folks we need to change our attitudes on this thread. We expect to much because Geno has given us so much. Geno doesnt need to change your attitudes need to change. Geno success is second to none. If we get Jones Van Lith Paige Azzi DeBarry Marshall or any combination your going to be boasting again how great Geno is how great UConn is and how we gonna win more NC's To many recruits parents and coaches read this board and your pouring gasoline on the fire. Geno doesnt need to change anything. His record speaks for itself.

We are the best team in WCBB. When UConn plays opponents know what they're in for. Hey one last point to think about? When was the last time UConn lost a regular season game and dont forget theyve had the tuffest OOC schedule in WCBB. Relax and be patient. Nothing is good as it seems and Nothing is bad as it appears. We are UConn be proud of it and respect it .
Wow! I couldn’t have said it better. Exactly my thoughts Tony.

And while we’re at it, could we wish all a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score

Yeah, what he said.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Reading the multiple recruiting threads last night and this morning takes me back to last year when the young lady from Australia decided to go pro instead of coming to UConn (yes, 99% of BY WCBB posters were positive that she was going to come to UConn, some even guaranteed it) and yet the Earth continued to rotate. So thanks @Tonyc but I am guessing that the threads and posts will keep on coming and then will increase exponentially next week when Jones decides to not come to UConn.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So happy to finally see a POSITIVE post today!!! I am so sick of all the gloom and doom!!! Best of luck to Boston, just hope that she didn't seat behind our bench for so long and learned all our plays.

Yes. Getting tired 'ignoring' so many threads. ;)

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
My concern is how much disappointment I felt about the college choice of a seventeen year girl. Thankfully, my perspective returns in a matter of hours.

I need to refocus my attention quickly that our favorite team plays the next three days. Hopefully, the poster that does the replays is able to do so for those of us who are too cheap to buy a subscription.

Reaction Score

None of these players are in the DT, Parker, Maya, Edd, or Stewie category, so what is the fuss?

Reaction Score

And yet, it would seem the sun came up in the usual place. You are right Tony. There is plenty of winning to be done still. We have 3 # players on the team and 3 likely AAs. I just can't get too broken up. Here are the reasons I get a good night of sleep every night.

- I never worry about prospective players. If they don't make their way to UConn, then they were not meant to be here.

- I never expect any young woman to be the next version of any one else. I am quite willing to enjoy the best version of themselves.

- I am prepared for the possibility that fate may smile on others one in a while. Some nights the ball bounces favorably for the other team. That is how life actually works.

- Consulting the professional and national team ranks, we find a that UConn is still pretty well represented.

Lets not be fair-weather fan. Relax and enjoy what we got. If we field a fully healthy squad in March, we will be in the mix. I don't plan on worrying about next year or any other year except this one. There's some talented folks who are well paid to do that and I like their track record.

Reaction Score

Wake up dood !

Reaction Score
Great post, Tony. We should be enjoying and celebrating this year’s team, now.
And to paraphrase Jimmy Dugan (Tom Hanks) in A League of Their Own: “Are you crying? Are you crying? Are you crying?! There's no crying! There's no crying in the Boneyard!”

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Tony

I approve (heartily) your post.
I'm a woman's BB fan, don't much follow recruiting
It would be nice if we always get all the best players...
But some of my fav seasons were ones in which Geno didn't have
the most talent; had to scramble and improvise and almost always did better than expected,

If we are entering such a period, so be it.
Happy Thanksgiving and let's enjoy the season (Holiday calendar and BB...woman's of course).

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Tonyc, a lot of what you say is true. However, in talking about other posters, you woumd up acting just like some of them. There are too many posters with arrogant attitudes yet you made a statement that puts in that same category. You say UConn is the best team in WCBB. Based on what? There is Baylor, ND, Oregon, Stanford, and MSU. They are all top of the line teams and some have even more talent than does UConn. Texas and Tennessee have even more but they have yet to show they are good TEAMS. It's the attitude that UConn is better than all other teams that causes expectations to be too high. It makes UConn fans in general seem arrogant when in reality most are not. Also, the idea that players attitudes have changed should not be so easily dismissed. I believe it has caused Geno to cut down on the number of recruits he believes will be right for UConn. When UConn went years without the very top recruits Geno was a lot younger then. He may not be so willing to continue putting up with the attitudes of many of today's recruits. He has mentioned the attitude change in recruits today.

Reaction Score
Tonyc, a lot of what you say is true. However, in talking about other posters, you woumd up acting just like some of them. There are too many posters with arrogant attitudes yet you made a statement that puts in that same category. You say UConn is the best team in WCBB. Based on what? There is Baylor, ND, Oregon, Stanford, and MSU. They are all top of the line teams and some have even more talent than does UConn. Texas and Tennessee have even more but they have yet to show they are good TEAMS. It's the attitude that UConn is better than all other teams that causes expectations to be too high. It makes UConn fans in general seem arrogant when in reality most are not. Also, the idea that players attitudes have changed should not be so easily dismissed. I believe it has caused Geno to cut down on the number of recruits he believes will be right for UConn. When UConn went years without the very top recruits Geno was a lot younger then. He may not be so willing to continue putting up with the attitudes of many of today's recruits. He has mentioned the attitude change in recruits today.

I suggest you look at the records of the top 25-30 teams since 1995. What team has the best record over that period? Hint; it’s not close and the name starts with U and ends with N and has 5 letters!

Reaction Score
Here it is again:

I don’t understand why anyone is worried about landing every top 5 recruit year in and year out. The important thing to get is players that want to work hard and improve their game. They don’t need to be top 5 or even top 20 players. Stephanie Dolson was ranked #39 in 2010 by ESPN Hoopgurlz and she turned out to be one of the best post players to come out of UConn. Bria Hartley came out of that class, too, and was ranked #14. The 10th ranked player, Samarie Walker, transferred out and never saw much success at Kentucky despite her high billing.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I suggest you look at the records of the top 25-30 teams since 1995. What team has the best record over that period? Hint; it’s not close and the name starts with U and ends with N and has 5 letters!
You are like some of the other posters talking about the past. I'm referring to this season and this season only. Nobody knows who has the best team yet.

Reaction Score
Tonyc, sorry, but we don't get all the top players every year. We should be disappointed when we lose two straight years on last second shots in the semi finals. That just shows that we want our team to do well.

Reaction Score
Spin it any way you want. HS girls basketball is bigger and better than ever. The talent is spreading out. The playing field has leveled. UConn last made a final in 3 seasons ago. UConn should not be considered a finalist this year or next due to lack of depth and height. Not sure what Geno is doing but he needs to recruit more players. 2 a year gives you no margin for error or injury. Just like men's ball in the UCLA dynasty era , too many talented players spreading out to multiple teams. Geno seems to be fiddling while Rome burns. For the good of the sport? Is SC the new hot destination because their coach coaches the US team now?

Reaction Score

No one could have said it better

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom