Its all Geno's Fault | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Its all Geno's Fault

Reaction Score
If you dont see what has happened the last couple years then I cant help you. You can continue to stick your heads in the sand and deny the shift in power away from CT in women's basketball. But it will become apparent come tournament time that Geno has not fielded a team that can compete for a championship. It will be interesting to see what Geno does after they fall short again this year. Will he be the smiling "Ambassador of good sportsmanship"again? "We're not good enough" implying his players arent up to his standard? How about recruit more players and coaching them up Geno? The sad thing is he didnt work harder to get more (and better) players in here the last 2 years and not waste KLS and Collier's sr yrs.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If you dont see what has happened the last couple years then I cant help you. You can continue to stick your heads in the sand and deny the shift in power away from CT in women's basketball. But it will become apparent come tournament time that Geno has not fielded a team that can compete for a championship. It will be interesting to see what Geno does after they fall short again this year. Will he be the smiling "Ambassador of good sportsmanship"again? "We're not good enough" implying his players arent up to his standard? How about recruit more players and coaching them up Geno? The sad thing is he didnt work harder to get more (and better) players in here the last 2 years and not waste KLS and Collier's sr yrs.
Aren’t you a ray of sunshine? Are you one of those “win a championship or the season is a failure” people?

Reaction Score
LOL, you're kidding, right? In 2017 Morgan William hits the shot of her life at the buzzer in OT to end UConn's then 111 game winning streak. If her shot misses, or Gabby gets a finger tip on it, UConn likely goes on to win consecutive championship #5 against South Carolina while running their winning streak to nearly 150. Last year similar situation. The team is 72-2 in the last two years, hasn't lost a game in regulation in 5+ years, hasn't lost a regular season game in 4+ years, has never lost a conference game, and has six of the last ten national championships. Dawn Staley can win every national championship for the next decade, and she would still only just tie what Geno has done. You have to go back six seasons to find a game where UConn was truly beat (ND 2013), and not on just some prayer shot at the buzzer. Despite the recruiting miss this week and the last two seasons ending the way they did, Geno right now is on a ridiculous run of success that is incomparable. Fans of other sports are probably rolling their eyes at some of the whining here over the Boston decision given that UConn currently has three of the last four #1 recruits in his starting line-up along with the #1 PG recruit from her class, plus Collier, and ONO coming off the bench. But, yeah, Geno is the one out of touch here, sure.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Click. And another one bites the dust.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Apparently the Huskies can’t field a team able to compete for a championship based on the sudden and precipitous dive of the team? Let’s reflect -

After winning 4 consecutive national championships, UConn merely made it to two Final Fours and in each case losing by 2 points in overtime. Looking more deeply, the Huskies have been to 11 consecutive Final Fours, winning 6 championships in that time, 4 of them without losing a single game. The last regular season loss was Nov. 17, 2014, another 2 point overtime game. Geno’s teams went 408-16 for a winning percentage of 96.2%. Wow, that Geno’s really losing it.

Looking at the last disastrous year, the Huskies only won by an average 36 points against most of the best teams in wcbb that year, including the eventual national champion. Their record is 72-2 in the last two years for a winning average of 97.3% which gives these disaster years a better winning percentage than the championship years.

People are becoming a little unhinged. The Huskies don’t need (or want) guaranteed championships; they just want to put themselves in the position of being able to earn one. Yes, parity is creeping up in fits and starts so, yes, it will be harder to win but why is it only harder for UConn and not everyone else, too? And how can we possibly appreciate winning unless our team loses every one in a while?

I don’t know if the Huskies will will the championship this season but I do know I’ll enjoy watching the only team that starts three #1 ranked high school stars and plays with an enjoyment I haven’t really seen for a while. I’m not worried at all about who Geno didn’t get and am loving the ones he did get.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
This is the first time in quite a while that the Huskies are in a position to end the season rankd higher than they were at the beginning.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Wow this really hurts. Well I guess Geno CD and Shea will retire now and our starting five will transfer. Yep UConn is finished, dead, never to win another NC. What are you giving up? Giving up on UConn? Giving up on our coaching staff. Yesterday you were all talking about the greatest coaching staff and team in WCBB now youve changed your minds? Really Geno has set your expectations to high and thats his fault.

You know what. Im sick of reading this board this morning. We are all spoiled and expect to win every NC and get every top recruit and thats not realistic. Geno and UConns success has set our expectations way way way to high. What Geno and UConn have accomplished over the past few years is someplace that no other team has even dreamed of reaching. We get all the top players almost every season. We have players that have far exceeded the greatest players in the game. We have had success that has been unrealistic and now we are crying because we didnt get a top recruit which we all thought including me we didnt get. This reminds me of UConn not getting Diamond DeShields after I was told by a very reliable source that she was coming to UConn. Hey it happens.

We have a great nucleus of top players on our roster for next season and we are ranked number 2 this season with tremendous fire power and imo could very well win the NC. The difference is we are not invincible right now like we were with Stewie and the gang. But you know what we are still really really good.

We've got ONO a big who is very versatile. We have two terrific guards who can drive and shoot which will open up the middle. We have Meg a number 1 HS player and Im reading this thread and frankly its making me sick to my stomach with all the negative posts.

Hey we didnt get Boston so what we will get somebody else. The only word we need to think about is Next. We didnt get Boston Next. Maybe we get Jones Next. If we dont get Jones Next. If we do get Jones terrific Next.

I am sick to my stomach reading these doom and gloom posts of disappointment. I learned along time ago nobody wants to follow a negative dull disillusioned crybaby and many of these posts are just that. Im sorry folks we need to change our attitudes on this thread. We expect to much because Geno has given us so much. Geno doesnt need to change your attitudes need to change. Geno success is second to none. If we get Jones Van Lith Paige Azzi DeBarry Marshall or any combination your going to be boasting again how great Geno is how great UConn is and how we gonna win more NC's To many recruits parents and coaches read this board and your pouring gasoline on the fire. Geno doesnt need to change anything. His record speaks for itself.

We are the best team in WCBB. When UConn plays opponents know what they're in for. Hey one last point to think about? When was the last time UConn lost a regular season game and dont forget theyve had the tuffest OOC schedule in WCBB. Relax and be patient. Nothing is good as it seems and Nothing is bad as it appears. We are UConn be proud of it and respect it .

I totally agree with your first sentence. Life goes on. Like Charli Collier, AEH, I’m putting losing Boston out of my mind, and moving on. It wasn’t meant to be. For whatever reason, she didn’t want to come to UConn. Geno and staff will find others that do.

As several NFL coaches (Belichick & Tomlin) have said in interviews when asked about players that were not in training camp “We’re only concerned about the players that are here”, and of course those that have signed.

There are several post players in the 2020 class that UConn will focus on. No one can be successful looking back. What’s done is done. Someone reported that Boston was in attendance at the game last evening, and sat right behind the UConn bench. The poster wrote that Geno appeared to be OK with it, and wished her well when she called to inform him of her decision.

Boston is not the first highly coveted recruit we didn’t get. She won’t be the last. I refuse to let the whims, decisions or preferences of a 17 year old that I have never met, and probably never will meet mess with my pysche or mental state of being. The Boneyard had me so throughly convinced she was coming to UConn, I made light of the situation by offering a "worthless" guarantee.

For my own mental wellness, I’m not going to read or comment on any more posts or comments about Aliyah Boston. I’m ignoring this and all other threads and posts about her. I'm moving on.

I’m focusing on this season. I’ll let the coaches deal with next season as they see fit. I’ll concern myself with next year’s team AFTER this season is finished. One season at a time.

I hope everyone had a good thanksgiving. Let’s get these last two games at the Jam Fest, then look ahead and prepare for the games next week. Many thanks to MJL243 for posting a replay of the Ole' Miss game. It is very much appreciated. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what is says that the most over the top negative posts are coming from newer posters.................I'm kind of in the middle on this..........I appreciate the team's long history of success and it's that history that has spoiled me just like it has everybody else..............so if you want that success to continue you have to set aside this great history and look at the present and the near future...........that immediate future has been somewhat dimmed by these recruiting losses and that is undeniable...............my hope is that Geno pulls one last rabbit out of his hat in the name of Haley Jones.............then watch as all that gloom disappears...............until next year................

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what is says that the most over the top negative posts are coming from newer posters.......I'm kind of in the middle on this.....I appreciate the team's long history of success and it's that history that has spoiled me just like it has everybody else....so if you want that success to continue you have to set aside this great history and look at the present and the near future......that immediate future has been somewhat dimmed by these recruiting losses and that is undeniable.....my hope is that Geno pulls one last rabbit out of his hat in the name of Haley Jones...then watch as all that gloom disappears.....until next year......
What recruiting losses though? There's Boston this year, who else am I forgetting? UConn has scooped the nation's top recruit in 2012, 2015, 2017, and 2018, so I still see Geno being the most successful recruiter in the country simply because no other coach has that kind of recent track record in getting the best player in America to his campus, and then developing them like no other coach can.

Reaction Score
What recruiting losses though? There's Boston this year, who else am I forgetting? UConn has scooped the nation's top recruit in 2012, 2015, 2017, and 2018, so I still see Geno being the most successful recruiter in the country simply because no other coach has that kind of recent track record in getting the best player in America to his campus, and then developing them like no other coach can.

Boston, Horston and possibly Jones.............three top 10 players that would have transformed next year's team from a good but paper thin group to one of the most athletic teams UConn has ever had.........again, dwelling on past successes doesn't help the UConn teams of the future...........

Reaction Score
You are delusional. You must be trolling.

Reaction Score
I posted this elsewhere but surely it fits in here!

Getting some high recruits doesn't guarantee anything! TN has recruited some top talent and has gone no where with that talent! SoCar got Wilson and some other names but won their Title because UCONN was upset by MissSt and faced MissSt instead of UCONN in the finals! If UCONN made the finals then they would have beaten SoCar by 20+ points for the Championship!
Duke, Baylor, Stanford, NoCar, TX, and others to numerous to mention have had top recruits and not reached the "promised land!" You have to have the coaching staff that brings that talent out year after year to have the success that Geno and staff have consistently had with whoever they've recruited!
It's sickening to read the comments I have above!
You’re gungho UCONN fans when things go 100% UCONN's way, crying now but Geno will still bring out the best from the roster he has during each season!
You gloom and doomers don't jump ship just yet, Geno and crew may surprise you!

Reaction Score
Wow this really hurts. Well I guess Geno CD and Shea will retire now and our starting five will transfer. Yep UConn is finished, dead, never to win another NC. What are you giving up? Giving up on UConn? Giving up on our coaching staff. Yesterday you were all talking about the greatest coaching staff and team in WCBB now youve changed your minds? Really Geno has set your expectations to high and thats his fault.

You know what. Im sick of reading this board this morning. We are all spoiled and expect to win every NC and get every top recruit and thats not realistic. Geno and UConns success has set our expectations way way way to high. What Geno and UConn have accomplished over the past few years is someplace that no other team has even dreamed of reaching. We get all the top players almost every season. We have players that have far exceeded the greatest players in the game. We have had success that has been unrealistic and now we are crying because we didnt get a top recruit which we all thought including me we didnt get. This reminds me of UConn not getting Diamond DeShields after I was told by a very reliable source that she was coming to UConn. Hey it happens.

We have a great nucleus of top players on our roster for next season and we are ranked number 2 this season with tremendous fire power and imo could very well win the NC. The difference is we are not invincible right now like we were with Stewie and the gang. But you know what we are still really really good.

We've got ONO a big who is very versatile. We have two terrific guards who can drive and shoot which will open up the middle. We have Meg a number 1 HS player and Im reading this thread and frankly its making me sick to my stomach with all the negative posts.

Hey we didnt get Boston so what we will get somebody else. The only word we need to think about is Next. We didnt get Boston Next. Maybe we get Jones Next. If we dont get Jones Next. If we do get Jones terrific Next.

I am sick to my stomach reading these doom and gloom posts of disappointment. I learned along time ago nobody wants to follow a negative dull disillusioned crybaby and many of these posts are just that. Im sorry folks we need to change our attitudes on this thread. We expect to much because Geno has given us so much. Geno doesnt need to change your attitudes need to change. Geno success is second to none. If we get Jones Van Lith Paige Azzi DeBarry Marshall or any combination your going to be boasting again how great Geno is how great UConn is and how we gonna win more NC's To many recruits parents and coaches read this board and your pouring gasoline on the fire. Geno doesnt need to change anything. His record speaks for itself.

We are the best team in WCBB. When UConn plays opponents know what they're in for. Hey one last point to think about? When was the last time UConn lost a regular season game and dont forget theyve had the tuffest OOC schedule in WCBB. Relax and be patient. Nothing is good as it seems and Nothing is bad as it appears. We are UConn be proud of it and respect it .
I could not agree more ! What is the matter with people ?? Speaking as one who had trouble sleeping Wed. night because of AB's announcement, BY'ers need to get a grip on reality. I have often wondered if recruits who check out the BY (they must) get turned off by the unbelievable hubris of many posters assuming they are locks for UConn or question their sanity for considering other schools. I have A LOT more confidence in Geno and staff than MOST of the BY'ers !!

Reaction Score
Apparently the Huskies can’t field a team able to compete for a championship based on the sudden and precipitous dive of the team? Let’s reflect -

After winning 4 consecutive national championships, UConn merely made it to two Final Fours and in each case losing by 2 points in overtime. Looking more deeply, the Huskies have been to 11 consecutive Final Fours, winning 6 championships in that time, 4 of them without losing a single game. The last regular season loss was Nov. 17, 2014, another 2 point overtime game. Geno’s teams went 408-16 for a winning percentage of 96.2%. Wow, that Geno’s really losing it.

Looking at the last disastrous year, the Huskies only won by an average 36 points against most of the best teams in wcbb that year, including the eventual national champion. Their record is 72-2 in the last two years for a winning average of 97.3% which gives these disaster years a better winning percentage than the championship years.

People are becoming a little unhinged. The Huskies don’t need (or want) guaranteed championships; they just want to put themselves in the position of being able to earn one. Yes, parity is creeping up in fits and starts so, yes, it will be harder to win but why is it only harder for UConn and not everyone else, too? And how can we possibly appreciate winning unless our team loses every one in a while?

I don’t know if the Huskies will will the championship this season but I do know I’ll enjoy watching the only team that starts three #1 ranked high school stars and plays with an enjoyment I haven’t really seen for a while. I’m not worried at all about who Geno didn’t get and am loving the ones he did get.
Agree 100% with comments. Let's wait to see what next year's team really looks like. Could see significant development from existing players supplemented by transfers and recruits now under Board's radar. While Maya Moore isn't walking through the door, should be fun to see Geno and CD coaching up what should still be Top 10 team.

Reaction Score
I could not agree more ! What is the matter with people ?? Speaking as one who had trouble sleeping Wed. night because of AB's announcement, BY'ers need to get a grip on reality. I have often wondered if recruits who check out the BY (they must) get turned off by the unbelievable hubris of many posters assuming they are locks for UConn or question their sanity for considering other schools. I have A LOT more confidence in Geno and staff than MOST of the BY'ers !!

I know of several recruits that have seen the BY and they were frankly amazed at the level of interest in WBB and especially the great support the fans had for the team.........................any recruit that would turn down a UConn offer because of negative posts on the BY would be doing the team a favor.............

Reaction Score
You are delusional. You must be trolling.

Delusional? Trolling? Where? Not trolling at all. As I said I am NOT a kool-Aid guy like most of you seem to be. Same thing that is happening now happened to UCLA after Alcindor and Walton. Now UCLA isnt even top tier NCAAM program (Duke, KY, NC, KS) . I get it dynasties dont last forever. But what Geno is doing (or not doing) the last 3 years recruiting has not helped CT remain competitive THIS SEASON and certainly NEXT. You will see it play out this year. No No. 1 Regional seed? No Final Four appearance. Tell me at the end of the season how wrong I was. Last years team fell short and was much better than this years team. While many other teams have recruited better and are better this year. Hey if you are happy making the final four that's great. CT will not be back with the current players. And that is a waste of KLS and Colliers sr yrs.

Reaction Score
I know of several recruits that have seen the BY and they were frankly amazed at the level of interest in WBB and especially the great support the fans had for the team.....any recruit that would turn down a UConn offer because of negative posts on the BY would be doing the team a favor...
A perfect example of the aforementioned hubris.

Reaction Score
Actually I've seen many, most impressed by the 2002 squad where Geno treated Sue Bird more as an assistant coach than a player.

so you think a recruit who might be upset by something a nutty fan says on the Bone Yard is going to last under Geno's constant critiques...........I don't think so...........

Reaction Score
so you think a recruit who might be upset by something a nutty fan says on the Bone Yard is going to last under Geno's constant critiques......I don't think so......
I actually think that an adult (nutty, or a fan) should not be opining on what a teenager should or should not do with their life.

Reaction Score
I actually think that an adult (nutty, or a fan) should not be opining on what a teenager should or should not do with their life.

that's certainly you right but that's not what I was referring to................I think you would agree that if a recruit was upset by what they read on a fan site they would probably not be able to deal with Geno's sharp criticism's in practice and during and after games.............that comment wasn't bragging about UConn, it was a thought that such a player would be a likely transfer candidate which wouldn't benefit the player or the school..............

Reaction Score
that's certainly you right but that's not what I was referring to......I think you would agree that if a recruit was upset by what they read on a fan site they would probably not be able to deal with Geno's sharp criticism's in practice and during and after games...that comment wasn't bragging about UConn, it was a thought that such a player would be a likely transfer candidate which wouldn't benefit the player or the school....
What I fear the most is typical teenage rebellion rearing it's head when a teenager (AB ?) reads that everyone thinks she's a lock for UConn. I do agree anyone sensitive enough to be worried by "nutty fans" would have trouble with Geno.

Reaction Score
What I fear the most is typical teenage rebellion rearing it's head when a teenager (AB ?) reads that everyone thinks she's a lock for UConn. I do agree anyone sensitive enough to be worried by "nutty fans" would have trouble with Geno.

I doubt that they could be swayed by a fan site................remember that they are getting advice wanted and unwanted from high school teammates and friends, AAU teammates and all forms of social media...................by the time they reach high school this stuff is old hat for most high end recruits as they travel across the country from tournament to tournament getting interviewed by the professional scouting services.................according to Geno it gets harder every year finding the kind of determined, unselfish recruits that fit the program.............so when he makes an offer those players are like 24K gold and to loose them to another program is really, really tough..........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom