It's about to get real ugly | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It's about to get real ugly

Reaction Score
Right, and that's not realistic right now. And the AAC is a significantly worse home than the Big East for the basketball program.
"right now" as if the world will not continue to spin post-"right now"

going to the big east means giving up. we're not ready to give up yet.

Reaction Score
Right, and that's not realistic right now. And the AAC is a significantly worse home than the Big East for the basketball program.
We go Big East and we are forever stuck in small time. No thank you. Uconn is a P5 school more than a lot of current "P5" ones.

Reaction Score
"right now" as if the world will not continue to spin post-"right now"

going to the big east means giving up. we're not ready to give up yet.
Disagree, it means we're trying to position our basketball programs to remain near the top of the landscape in the event an opening in a P5 conference becomes available. It's not possible to remain in that position in the AAC. Going to the BE is a sustenance move more than anything else since it's clear the program cannot succeed in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Disagree, it means we're trying to position our basketball programs to remain near the top of the landscape in the event an opening in a P5 conference becomes available. It's not possible to remain in that position in the AAC.
you are 100% wrong. you literally could not be more wrong if you tried. Do you understand what would happen to football if we moved to the Big East? It would cease to exist and we would never get into a power conference.

Reaction Score
Disagree, it means we're trying to position our basketball programs to remain near the top of the landscape in the event an opening in a P5 conference becomes available. It's not possible to remain in that position in the AAC. Going to the BE is a sustenance move more than anything else since it's clear the program cannot succeed in the AAC.
Sure it is. We just have to, you know, be competitive and win the AAC

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A move back to the new BE only happens if we are left in the dark after the P5 split.

C'mon Stair, you know better.

Reaction Score
The Big East no longer exists. Whats there now is a conference masquerading as the Big East.
Which is better than where we are, right? How many teams they gettin’ in?

Reaction Score
To recruit in the American, the coaching staff have to make personal connections with their good recruits to get them to commit. At other “big time” schools some of the players are going there more for the opportunity, the exposure, (maybe other benefits) etc. so don’t be surprised if all of the recruits de-commit. But as long as we hire a very good coach, this is the right move.

Reaction Score
you are 100% wrong. you literally could not be more wrong if you tried. Do you understand what would happen to football if we moved to the Big East? It would cease to exist and we would never get into a power conference.
I agree about football hence why I said the move would be to position the basketball programs. Before such a move was made there would have to be a plan for football. Where we don't agree is that I don't foresee there being a P5 spot for us in the near future with the trajectory of our two main programs and the landscape as it is. UConn's brand is bleeding profusely and it's not all because KO had two horrendous seasons. Winning in the AAC in basketball is not respected on the grand scheme.

Reaction Score
To recruit in the American, the coaching staff have to make personal connections with their good recruits to get them to commit. At other “big time” schools some of the players are going there more for the opportunity, the exposure, (maybe other benefits) etc. so don’t be surprised if all of the recruits de-commit. But as long as we hire a very good coach, this is the right move.
I wouldn't be surprised if Kisunas wants to stay committed. When he talked about his commitment he talked a lot about the school and not necessarily the staff. you never know though. we might only have 6-7 scholarship players when this all shakes out or we may have mostly a full cup

Reaction Score
It is going to get worse before it gets better. James Akinjo's announcement is just the beginning. Nevertheless, I think that the change had to be made...for a lot of reasons that don't need to be rehashed here.

Good luck to Coach Ollie. Strap yourselves in, UConn fans, it's going to get real bumpy for a bit.

What is with this “get” comment I keep seeing?

Reaction Score
Our current players have put together the two worst seasons that UConn has had since I became a fan in my freshman year (1989). Maybe it's not their fault but there's no reason to believe it would've changed with Ollie at the helm. I hope they will all stay after a new coach is announced, but keeping or hiring coaches to keep recruits is always a disaster. Make the right long term move and deal with the (hopefully) short term consequences.

Reaction Score
Coach first and foremost. Sure we want to keep some of the players and commits but first thing first. This is now a total rebuild and sometimes you have to go backwards before you go forward. We hopefully will strike gold with the next coach and work our way back

Reaction Score
Waiting to see what the complete 2018-2019 coaching staff looks like. This will affect a lot of things, existing players, recruits etc.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Which is why all we can do is delay that decision until it can't be delayed anymore. Unfortunately, every year is another year closer to that decision.

A big part of that decision, that gets a little attention but not enough IMO, is the decline in # of kids playing football. Won't have much impact on the South and maybe Midwest but in the Northeast and West coast this trend will eventually result in colleges dropping football. UConn might be among the first of them. I say this as a UConn football fan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom