It's $17 Million AAC Exit Fee | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It's $17 Million AAC Exit Fee

Reaction Score
I would say USF for sure and probably Temple. It's Geno's hometown, short trip, and coach was a former UConn coach.... Atleast I hope since Temple is a game I can easily attend.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
But UCF is 20 minutes from me :(
Nan'you live in Florida?If so,small world.I am an hour from UCF,but I used to live in Kissimmee.

Reaction Score
I think he was more upset with the officials in that game. The UCF coach used what she had, physicality. The refs allowed it. And I had some choice comments directed at Abramson from my living room. One nice thing about watching at home is having all my curses available for use.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don’t think UConn would go out of their way to play UCF. I don’t think Geno is much of a fan of the way Coach Abramson runs her program. On the other hand, I do think there is a mutual respect between Geno and Coach Hughey at Houston.

Yes, Geno got pretty pointed about UCF being a reflection of their coach and not in a good way.

Reaction Score
Sue us for the exit fee ($10M) plus damages (multiple millions). Plus our reputation would be severely damaged both in athletics and as an institution. It wouldn't be a good move.
Exactement! Who would trust UConn again (unless there were a really good legal reason for just up and leaving, which there isn't)? Membership in a conference is a legal agreement. You can't just walk away, as attractive as that option might seem.

Reaction Score
But UCF is 20 minutes from me :(
I know. I counted on the UCF game, too, because we were only two hours away. Not that it was fun to watch, unless you like rugby on a basketball court. But I used to watch the old Rutgers games, so I know what that's like.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I know. I counted on the UCF game, too, because we were only two hours away. Not that it was fun to watch, unless you like rugby on a basketball court. But I used to watch the old Rutgers games, so I know what that's like.
Thing is, Rutgers had a rhyme and reason for their physical play; it was a schemed defense. Bodying a player up is a legit play, even if it was aggressively done. UCF just pushes and shoves arbitrarily.

I had seasons tickets and watched most UCF home games. They played most teams rough but the UConn games had an edge.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Thing is, Rutgers had a rhyme and reason for their physical play; it was a schemed defense. Bodying a player up is a legit play, even if it was aggressively done. UCF just pushes and shoves arbitrarily.

I had seasons tickets and watched most UCF home games. They played most teams rough but the UConn games had an edge.
I remember a Rutgers forearm shove in the back to Maya on a lay up that may have cost us a championship.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Here's a thought, wouldn't it be nice (and fiscally responsible) if somehow UConn could work out a deal with SNY (that has interest in televising UConn football games), that has SNY paying ALL exit and entry conference fees in UConn's behalf that they are scheduled to pay?

UConn would not receive any money from TV (unless the deal is for more than the 20.5 million that is owed), but they would not have to pay the 20.5 million to the AAC and the BE either. I'd call that a win-win for both parties. :)

Reaction Score
IMO paying $17 Million is cheap for what this means for UConn. In addition to what has been announced in the Courant, the intangibles for UConn would include improved competition, playing in a league that has a basketball tradition, and an opportunity to recruit competitive players who do not want to spend 16 games playing junk competition. The State is already in trouble financially and has a shrinking work force. It is gasping for air because it is considering tolls on it's highways. It certainly could use a break becoming a basketball force in the New Big East, and obtaining better revenues on the side like suggested by @Carnac. And if it is true that a number of Big 10 schools have been reaching out to schedule Connecticut for football, even if they are a door mat, this would be a bonus for UConn.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
IMO paying $17 Million is cheap for what this means for UConn. In addition to what has been announced in the Courant, the intangibles for UConn would include improved competition, playing in a league that has a basketball tradition, and an opportunity to recruit competitive players who do not want to spend 16 games playing junk competition. The State is already in trouble financially and has a shrinking work force. It is gasping for air because it is considering tolls on it's highways. It certainly could use a break becoming a basketball force in the New Big East, and obtaining better revenues on the side like suggested by @Carnac. And if it is true that a number of Big 10 schools have been reaching out to schedule Connecticut for football, even if they are a door mat, this would be a bonus for UConn.

Whenever California is strapped for cash, and needs an immediate infusion of revenue, they turn to a tried and true source of taxing gasoline. We have one of the highest per gallon prices for gas in the country. There are stations in my neighborhood (per the Gas Buddy app) charging $4.19 a gallon for premium gas. You’ll pay even more if you need gas on your way to Las Vegas and fill up at a station in the desert along I-15.

We just had an 5.6 cent a gallon tax increase on gas July first. The lawmakers here have no problem sticking it to us. Gas in California should be cheap. We’ve got several refineries right here in Southern California (El Segundo). We don’t have to import it like some states do.

These gas taxes are permanent. Most drivers here don’t curtail their driving habits anymore because of the increased prices. They simply dig a little deeper into their pockets and purses and bear it. Hope that none of your law makers in Connecticut think seriously about a gas tax. I’m expecting another increase in the state sales tax soon. We’re due for one. :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Whenever California is strapped for cash, and needs an immediate infusion of revenue, they turn to a tried and true source of taxing gasoline. We have one of the highest per gallon prices for gas in the country. There are stations in my neighborhood charging $4.19 a gallon for premium gas. You’ll pay even more if you need gas on your way to Las Vegas and fill up at a station in the desert.

We just had an 5.6 cent a gallon tax increase on gas July first. The lawmakers here have no problem sticking it to us. Gas in California should be cheap. We’ve got several refineries right here in Southern California (El Segundo). We don’t have to import it like some states do.

These gas taxes are permanent. Most drivers don’t curtail their driving habits because of the increased prices. They simply dig a little deeper into their pockets and purses and bear it. Hope that none of your law makers in Connecticut thinks seriously about a gas tax. I’m expecting another increase in the state sales tax soon. We’re due for one. :confused:

I am not use to these kind of taxes. I live 75 per cent of my time on my ranch in New Mexico where I have a 1000 gallon diesel and a 1000 gallon tank of gasoline for farm and ranch purpose. The other 25 per cent of time I live in Texas outside San Antonio in order to visit my son and grandchildren who are not children anymore. We do not pay tolls to drive roads, just gas taxes when away from home.

Reaction Score
I don’t think UConn would go out of their way to play UCF. I don’t think Geno is much of a fan of the way Coach Abramson runs her program. On the other hand, I do think there is a mutual respect between Geno and Coach Hughey at Houston.
Those UCF games are going to be UGLY this year. The UConn players will need to put padding on before those games. Last year to beat up on the Huskies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Those UCF games are going to be UGLY this year. The UConn players will need to put padding on before those games. Last year to beat up on the Huskies.
I don’t know. After that ugly game two seasons ago, the Huskies have pretty much owned UCF. I think Katie Abramson has toned down her team’s “hack a Husky” strategy somewhat as UConn has made it clear that UCF is not yet ready for prime time.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don’t know. After that ugly game two seasons ago, the Huskies have pretty much owned UCF. I think Katie Abramson has toned down her team’s “hack a Husky” strategy somewhat as UConn has made it clear that UCF is not yet ready for prime time.

Hope you are right, but given Abramson's ambitions and this season being her last crack at UConn I sort of doubt that.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hope you are right, but given Abramson's ambitions and this season being her last crack at UConn I sort of doubt that.
Coach Abe doesn’t have the talent to compete with UConn this year and probably never will. The truth is that UConn leaving the AAC is probably good for UCF. Once the Huskies are gone the Knights will have a legitimate opportunity to compete with USF for the league championship and an AQ to the Big Dance.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Coach Abe doesn’t have the talent to compete with UConn this year and probably never will. The truth is that UConn leaving the AAC is probably good for UCF. Once the Huskies are gone the Knights will have a legitimate opportunity to compete with USF for the league championship and an AQ to the Big Dance.
I'm fairly certain that Coach Abe's vision is to build UCF into a team that's good enough to receive an at-large bid -- which, in fact, UCF did this past year. UConn's presence elevated the profile of the AAC and made it a multi-bid league every year since its inception. Without UConn, the AAC is in danger of regressing to one-bid status. I'm willing to bet that a major reason Coach Abe left Albany for UCF was precisely because it was an upgrade from a one-bid league to a multi-bid league with UConn in it. If she was happy collecting AQs, she would have stayed at Albany.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm fairly certain that Coach Abe's vision is to build UCF into a team that's good enough to receive an at-large bid -- which, in fact, UCF did this past year. UConn's presence elevated the profile of the AAC and made it a multi-bid league every year since its inception. Without UConn, the AAC is in danger of regressing to one-bid status. I'm willing to bet that a major reason Coach Abe left Albany for UCF was precisely because it was an upgrade from a one-bid league to a multi-bid league with UConn in it. If she was happy collecting AQs, she would have stayed at Albany.
UCF has much bigger fish to fry then they will find in the AAC. They have the #1 non-P5 football program in the country, a great fan base and a great location in Central FL. During the next round of conference expansion I would not be surprised if UCF is the top expansion candidate for both the BIG & Big 12, that is unless the SEC or ACC implement a preemptive strike to bring in UCF and keep the other conferences out of the lucrative southeastern market.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Time will tell. As we all know, it’s all about football, and no school makes a better case than UCF.
Lol for the B1G? Pretty much every school does.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom