It's $17 Million AAC Exit Fee | The Boneyard

It's $17 Million AAC Exit Fee

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
UConn to pay $17 million in AAC exit fee, depart conference next year

“We all understood that there was a minimum exit fee that we were aware of in our bylaws," UConn athletic director David Benedict said. "And the additional money over and above that, when you look at the grand scheme of things, we’ll be able to recover that money in short order based on the cost savings in travel as well as the increased sales we’re going to have, and all of the indirect benefit we’re going to receive.”

And now we just have to get through one more season of athletics before it is New Big East time.

A relationship will linger.

"The conference is said to have sought a much higher exit fee while UConn tried to negotiate something closer to $15 million or below. The sides eventually found a compromise, which involves maintaining an aspect of their partnership because UConn has agreed to schedule four home-and-home basketball series with AAC teams, men’s or women’s. No teams or years have been assigned. "

An easier deal for the men than the women. The men could schedule fairly high RPI games at least. It should be spread out over 6-8 years.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn to pay $17 million in AAC exit fee, depart conference next year

“We all understood that there was a minimum exit fee that we were aware of in our bylaws," UConn athletic director David Benedict said. "And the additional money over and above that, when you look at the grand scheme of things, we’ll be able to recover that money in short order based on the cost savings in travel as well as the increased sales we’re going to have, and all of the indirect benefit we’re going to receive.”

And now we just have to get through one more season of athletics before it is New Big East time.

A relationship will linger.

"The conference is said to have sought a much higher exit fee while UConn tried to negotiate something closer to $15 million or below. The sides eventually found a compromise, which involves maintaining an aspect of their partnership because UConn has agreed to schedule four home-and-home basketball series with AAC teams, men’s or women’s. No teams or years have been assigned. "

An easier deal for the men than the women. The men could schedule fairly high RPI games at least. It should be spread out over 6-8 years.
My first reaction: So we are paying an extra $7M to leave the conference early and giving them bb games but we aren't getting any football games back? I'm not in on these negotiations, but I really feel like UConn needs better lawyers.

But on getting more details:
Mike Anthony@ManthonyCourant 16m
American Athletic Conference set to announce UConn departure terms have been finalized. Sources: UConn's exit fee will be $17 million, payable in lump sums of $5-plus million each of next two years (AAC withholding distribution money) and about $1 million annually for six years.

This doesn't look so bad.

I'm starting to feel like we might actually pull off being an independent successfully and improve our brand.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I certainly expect UConn WBB to maintain a home & home with USF. Beyond Jose’s team, I’m not sure if any other AAC women’s teams are all that excited to play the Huskies, although the coach at Houston indicated a desire to continue to play UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I certainly expect UConn WBB to maintain a home & home with UCF. Beyond Jose’s team, I’m not sure if any other AAC women’s teams are all that excited to play the Huskies, although the coach at Houston indicated a desire to continue to play UConn.
Why UCF? Those games always seemed physical, and do Coach Abe and Geno even have much of a relationship?

Reaction Score
Sue and win. After costs and punitive damages, it would be much more costly. And it would make UConn look like idiots.
It would take years, and by the time anything happened everyone would have forgotten about it. Plus who is going to enforce the consequences? Is the AAC going to come to Storrs and close down UConn until they get their money? We already looked like idiots for suing BC, Pitt, and Syracuse for leaving the Big East, at least this time we could save $17 million.

Reaction Score
DefenseBB is correct. I meant USF. Senior moment....:confused:
Oh good, because other than Jose's team there's not much else redeeming about the WCBB teams in this league. UConn might be able to set a new record this year by being the first team to win every conference game if they can run the table and jump to the Big East next year.

Reaction Score
It would take years, and by the time anything happened everyone would have forgotten about it. Plus who is going to enforce the consequences? Is the AAC going to come to Storrs and close down UConn until they get their money? We already looked like idiots for suing BC, Pitt, and Syracuse for leaving the Big East, at least this time we could save $17 million.

No, UConn not only wouldn't save $17 Million but they would end up paying multiples of that amount after huge expenses and punitive damage awards were factored in. As to who enforces it, as in all cases it would be the courts. And they would enforce it very easily and quickly. Do you think UConn can simply ignore an award made by a federal court???

Reaction Score
Do you all recall when Dickie B sue Cuse, Miami, et al. Including the ACC when those teams left the Big East and now you want UCONN to just walk out?

Reaction Score
I certainly expect UConn WBB to maintain a home & home with USF. Beyond Jose’s team, I’m not sure if any other AAC women’s teams are all that excited to play the Huskies, although the coach at Houston indicated a desire to continue to play UConn.

Both Houston and UCF are improving programs. I doubt UConn would schedule 4 AAC teams each year but those 2 and USF are not that bad and are improving. I wonder if Geno wants to schedule UCF after his team needed a case of liniment when the last game was over. :rolleyes:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
My first reaction: So we are paying an extra $7M to leave the conference early and giving them bb games but we aren't getting any football games back? I'm not in on these negotiations, but I really feel like UConn needs better lawyers.

But on getting more details:

This doesn't look so bad.

I'm starting to feel like we might actually pull off being an independent successfully and improve our brand.

When the news first broke about UConn making arrangements (and serious plans) to leave the AAC, and move over into the NBE, the inmates at the asylum were ready to breakout of confinement and run screaming into the night.

Then, as things settled down (and reality had set in, because it was a "done deal"), and the critics and naysayers's blood pressure returned to normal, they climbed down out of the trees, and began to go about weighing the various options available to them.

Now things don't look as bad as first thought. Especially with SNY showing interest in televising UConn football games. "No one knows exactly what's next for UConn football, but a glance up the road at UMass offers some useful lessons about life as an independent, from scheduling to travel to recruiting."

What UMass can teach UConn about life as a football independent

Now after a couple of weeks to look real close at all of the possible ways to come out of this "situation" and there still be breath left in the body and smelling like a rose, now it can be said : "I'm starting to feel like we might actually pull off being an independent successfully and improve our brand." :) Fear not mon frere, that light at the end of the tunnel IS NOT a train!! You know I'm a seer. My sources tell me there are lots of good times ahead for UConn football. ;)

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Games against USF (a good team) and Houston (for TX recruiting) are not a bad idea

Now that the initial "shock" has worn off, and reality has set in and nerves have begun to calm down, UConn can go about the business of scheduling football games for the next 3-5 years. I don't think they'll have any trouble finding "quality" opponents.

They should be able to put together schedules that not only makes sense, but dollars as well. Life outside of the P-5 has handed them a basket full of lemons, let's see what they do with it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Both Houston and UCF are improving programs. I doubt UConn would schedule 4 AAC teams each year but those 2 and USF are not that bad and are improving. I wonder if Geno wants to schedule UCF after his team needed a case of liniment when the last game was over. :rolleyes:
I don’t think UConn would go out of their way to play UCF. I don’t think Geno is much of a fan of the way Coach Abramson runs her program. On the other hand, I do think there is a mutual respect between Geno and Coach Hughey at Houston.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I don’t think UConn would go out of their way to play UCF. I don’t think Geno is much of a fan of the way Coach Abramson runs her program. On the other hand, I do think there is a mutual respect between Geno and Coach Hughey at Houston.

Come to think about it, you're right OD. I remember that game. There was a lot of "extra curricular" activity as I recall. Geno was not happy about how the UCF players conducted themselves. A lot of un-necessary rough-housing. I don't think Geno and Abramson exchange Christmas cards. There are other AAC teams he can choose to play in addition to USF.

Here are the highlights of that game

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom