ITM, Hawk continues to fly high | Page 11 | The Boneyard

ITM, Hawk continues to fly high

Reaction Score
Over half his attempts per game (5.6 of 10.1) are considered “open” or “wide open”. And take a guess how his percentage compares to the league in all regards. I’ll give you a hint…..

I'm only talking about 3s, not total shots taken. Did you bother to ready post? Congrats on thinking you're clever though!

Reaction Score
I'm only talking about 3s, not total shots taken. Did you bother to ready post? Congrats on thinking you're clever though!

Glad you brought that up. He takes 2 threes a game that are considered “tight”. The other 4.8 are considered open or wide open

I’m not even lobbying he shouldn’t be playing. I’m just trying to put this into perspective and you guys can’t take the homer goggles off.

caw

Reaction Score
Glad you brought that up. He takes 2 threes a game that are considered “tight”. The other 4.8 are considered open or wide open

I’m not even lobbying he shouldn’t be playing. I’m just trying to put this into perspective and you guys can’t take the homer goggles off.

How many of those open shots are off his own action and not simple swing passes though. Not many other players in the NBA can run the same off ball cuts he can.

Reaction Score
How many of those open shots are off his own action and not simple swing passes though. Not many other players in the NBA can run the same off ball cuts he can.

I think by all accounts he’s been a good catch and shoot guy and a good off screen guy, but in terms of his own movement? those types of stats aren’t as easy to find as the ones husky429 is choosing to ignore (it’s called google). But we all know he knows how to cut and relocate.

Which is exactly how I think they should utilize him going forward. And then expand from there. Which is probably the plan, but he sat for one game so our fan base has to cry their eyes out

Reaction Score

Yeah these guys are ridiculous lol Alvarado Marshall and Murphy are dudes who are better NBA players than Hawkins RIGHT NOW. They were always going to play over him. Hawk looked promising and will have a fine NBA career. Shooting % wasn't good enough to cut into those guys’ minutes at the moment.

caw

Reaction Score
I think by all accounts he’s been a good catch and shoot guy and a good off screen guy, those types of stats aren’t as easy to find as the ones husky429 is choosing to ignore (it’s called google)

Which is exactly how I think they should utilize him going forward. And then expand from there. Which is probably the plan, but he sat for one game so our fan base has to cry their eyes out

It's been about three games now that he hasn't played a meaningful minute. He technically played in two of them but one was a 40 point loss when he checked in and the other was a 20 point win he got about a minute in. If the first was close, he wasn't seeing the floor.

I think a lot of it comes down to Zion not wanting to set screens (just an opinion from watching the games).

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think by all accounts he’s been a good catch and shoot guy and a good off screen guy, but in terms of his own movement? those types of stats aren’t as easy to find as the ones husky429 is choosing to ignore (it’s called google). But we all know he knows how to cut and relocate.

While I agree with your assessment. I’m just not sure why he doesn’t play over Daniels who doesn’t seem like anything special.

Reaction Score
While I agree with your assessment. I’m just not sure why he doesn’t play over Daniels who doesn’t seem like anything special.
I think Dyson is worse than hawk, but he’s also a number 8 pick who needs to get his looks. And def has more playmaking chops and defensive versatility (although have no idea if that versatility translates into being good). I think ultimately hawk will start to reclaim some of those minutes, especially after whichever trade they inevitably make

Reaction Score
They got a lot of mouths to feed and it’s a long season, I guess is my summation of everything

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think Dyson is worse than hawk, but he’s also a number 8 pick who needs to get his looks. And def has more playmaking chops and defensive versatility (although have no idea if that versatility translates into being good). I think ultimately hawk will start to reclaim some of those minutes, especially after whichever trade they inevitably make
Amazing Dyson got drafted over Hawk and is getting time over him despite shooting 25% from 3.

Which goes against another boneyard theory.

Reaction Score
Amazing Dyson got drafted over Hawk and is getting time over him despite shooting 25% from 3.

Which goes against another boneyard theory.
Dyson is the year before. It's not a "boneyard theory." Different positions and roles require different shooting capabilities in the NBA. There is no rule, but depending on a player's strengths or weaknesses the shooting is more or less important.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Dyson is the year before. It's not a "boneyard theory." Different positions and roles require different shooting capabilities in the NBA. There is no rule, but depending on a player's strengths or weaknesses the shooting is more or less important.
Don’t they both play shooting guard?

Reaction Score
Don’t they both play shooting guard?
They're grooming him to be a big point guard whose size lets him play well on both ends. As a guy with the ball in his hands, he would be required to be less proficient in catch and shoot situations. He was drafted the year before, but is almost a year younger than Hawkins.

Reactions: caw

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Zion is a cancer just like Kyrie. Coincidence they both went to Duke. I would get rid of Zion as soon as I can before he injures himself enough were he won't play for the rest of the season. He is a ticking time bomb waiting to explode.
6 months after he doesn't play anymore basketball Zion will be a 400lb waddling turnip

Reaction Score
It's been about three games now that he hasn't played a meaningful minute. He technically played in two of them but one was a 40 point loss when he checked in and the other was a 20 point win he got about a minute in. If the first was close, he wasn't seeing the floor.

I think a lot of it comes down to Zion not wanting to set screens (just an opinion from watching the games).
Hawkins shooting percentage is poor. Scoring but not at percentage that helps you win. He needs to hit 3 at above 40 percent. Never understood why he shot below 40 at UConn. Absolutely beautiful stroke. think he lacks. Confidence between ears. Really could have benefited from another year in college, unfortunately cant pass on the money.

Remember he was a non factor as a freshman. One nice year and big jump to nba. Unfair he goes from major minutes to zero. Great kid, hopefully he gets the mentorship and coaching to succeed and play 12-15 years in nba

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
They're grooming him to be a big point guard whose size lets him play well on both ends. As a guy with the ball in his hands, he would be required to be less proficient in catch and shoot situations. He was drafted the year before, but is almost a year younger than Hawkins.
If they’re trying to groom him to be a big point guard it doesn’t make sense to have him out there with Alvarado.

Reactions: caw

caw

Reaction Score
Hawkins shooting percentage is poor. Scoring but not at percentage that helps you win. He needs to hit 3 at above 40 percent. Never understood why he shot below 40 at UConn. Absolutely beautiful stroke. think he lacks. Confidence between ears. Really could have benefited from another year in college, unfortunately cant pass on the money.

Remember he was a non factor as a freshman. One nice year and big jump to nba. Unfair he goes from major minutes to zero. Great kid, hopefully he gets the mentorship and coaching to succeed and play 12-15 years in nba

He was at 37.3 before he was benched. Now if you want to argue he needs to finish better in the paint, that's a good case.

He also is one of the better ball movers on the team. Too many of their players take the air out of the ball pounding it on the ground.

Reaction Score
We're biased because we're Huskies and we love Hawk, but the Pels benching their lottery pick just doesn't sit right. Yes he's a rookie but he's NOT playing bad at all. He's playing like a rookie. He's trying to figure out the NBA. We should hold coaching staffs accountable just like we do the players. And consequently some coaching staffs are good at squandering talented players.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I guess the question you have to ask is, which players should lose their rotation spot to Hawk? Alvarado is a point guard, Marshall is a 3/4, so taking their spots doesn’t make logical sense. Daniels I could see, but he’s also a former lottery pick that they probably want to see some ROI on, and has shown “flashes.”

We worried about this on draft night. The Pels have one of the deepest rosters in the league, Hawk added to that depth. The situation is different now that Hawk has shown big potential, but it seems like he was never meant to be playing after all.

caw

Reaction Score
I guess the question you have to ask is, which players should lose their rotation spot to Hawk? Alvarado is a point guard, Marshall is a 3/4, so taking their spots doesn’t make logical sense. Daniels I could see, but he’s also a former lottery pick that they probably want to see some ROI on, and has shown “flashes.”

We worried about this on draft night. The Pels have one of the deepest rosters in the league, Hawk added to that depth. The situation is different now that Hawk has shown big potential, but it seems like he was never meant to be playing after all.

Yeah they have too many 2Gs right now and not enough C's. I honestly wouldn't mind getting a decent rim protector for one of their many guards if I were them. They just need a solid backup center. There really is no point in them trading Zion. For as fat as he is, you aren't getting anything as good back and they have way too much depth right now to take back multiple players. I would ditch one of Alvardo or Dyson and one of their twos for a solid center who can push Val to the backup or be the backup.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yeah they have too many 2Gs right now and not enough C's. I honestly wouldn't mind getting a decent rim protector for one of their many guards if I were them. They just need a solid backup center. There really is no point in them trading Zion. For as fat as he is, you aren't getting anything as good back and they have way too much depth right now to take back multiple players. I would ditch one of Alvardo or Dyson and one of their twos for a solid center who can push Val to the backup or be the backup.
Probably wouldn’t move Alvarado if they had a choice. He brings really good energy off the bench with his defense and does a good job at point. Kind of like Beverly but he actually can do something on offense.

caw

Reaction Score
Probably wouldn’t move Alvarado if they had a choice. He brings really good energy off the bench with his defense and does a good job at point. Kind of like Beverly but he actually can do something on offense.

Yeah I would keep him of the two but they seem to love Dyson's potential. They are a team falling for suck cost right now.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yeah I would keep him of the two but they seem to love Dyson's potential. They are a team falling for suck cost right now.
I’m honestly over teams trying to make guys who’ve never played PG into PGs. It fails every time.

Spurs are crashing and burning trying to do it with Sochan as we speak and I still remember J Kidd trying to do it with Giannas.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom