ITM, Hawk continues to fly high | The Boneyard

ITM, Hawk continues to fly high

Reaction Score
Here's the thing about Hawkins. He made a remarkable jump forward in 22-23 from 21-22, seems to be making another large jump from 22-23 to this year, and there is little reason to think he's going to level off any time soon.

I know it won't happen, but the Boneyard needs to remember, when judging the future of other freshmen, how little impact Hawk had on the team his freshman season.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing about Hawkins. He made a remarkable jump forward in 22-23 from 21-22, seems to be making another large jump from 22-23 to this year, and there is little reason to think he's going to level off any time soon.

I know it won't happen, but the Boneyard needs to remember, when judging the future of other freshmen, how little impact Hawk had on the team his freshman season.
I remember how disappointed I felt watching him frosh year.

Reaction Score

He did look great until the Auburn disaster...and then he started playing well and Georgetown concussion ended his season and lowered the team's ceiling. They don't lose to NMSU with a healthy Hawk.

Reaction Score

It was pretty obvious how much potential he had after freshman season though. I certainly wasn't disappointed. There's a reason why he was on mock draft boards and pre-season lists despite only averaging 7ppg as a freshman--it was clearly he was bursting with talent.

I see that same potential with Solo. He isn't there yet, but the pieces are apparent. Not to the same extent as Hawkins, but it's there.

The concern will be if Ross and/or Stewart don't show those pieces by the end of the season. Right now, they're basically just on the court existing. It's rare that a kid goes from 9th/10th man to a serious, starting caliber player.

Reaction Score
It was pretty obvious how much potential he had after freshman season though. I certainly wasn't disappointed. There's a reason why he was on mock draft boards and pre-season lists despite only averaging 7ppg as a freshman--it was clearly he was bursting with talent.

I see that same potential with Solo. He isn't there yet, but the pieces are apparent. Not to the same extent as Hawkins, but it's there.

The concern will be if Ross and/or Stewart don't show those pieces by the end of the season. Right now, they're basically just on the court existing. It's rare that a kid goes from 9th/10th man to a serious, starting caliber player.
Donnie Marshall, Kevin Ollie, Andre Jackson, Nels Giffey and a host of players in between would beg to differ.

Reaction Score
Donnie Marshall, Kevin Ollie, Andre Jackson, Nels Giffey and a host of players in between would beg to differ.
I was in preschool during Marshall and Ollie's freshman year so don't remember that, but Giffey started 10 games and got major run early in the year and in the championship game, while Jackson was a 6th/7th man and played 16 mpg.

Especially lately, you don't see guys go from afterthoughts to major contributors.

Reaction Score

I don't know much about Donnie or Ollie--I was very young--but I do know that Andre and Niels don't apply here. Niels started a bunch of games and was one of the best 6th-men in the country by tourney time. Andre started games and averaged 16 mpg. He was another clearly high potential player.

Also, can we consider you named FOUR players--two of whom don't even apply--out of the past, what, 30 years of basketball? How many deep bench players have we had--30 40? 50? You're actually kind of proving my point.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Albeit early, over/under a 50% chance he can make first team all-rookie?

Reaction Score
Freshman handle was bad but boy can he shoot. Good for him.

Reaction Score
He's going to be a 25PPG scorer either next year or the season after that. Been saying it all along that he has a $200M jump shot
Klay Thompson reincarnated. But more athletic. Crazy to think.

Reaction Score

Ball just has "it". He gets to the rim sometimes and can't finish but once he gets used to running into 6'10 dudes in the paint instead of hs kids he'll be fine. He cuts well, his shot looks decent (when he's not rushing his feet and actually gets set) and he defends very well.

Agree completely on Ross and Stewart. We need one of them to step up and be able to contribute or the bench depth is not going to be enough. Diarra is a good leader and a pretty good defender but his lack of offense lowers the ceiling.

Reaction Score
I am super curious about his ceiling. You’re seeing immediately he belongs there right now and is exceeding expectations.

I “think” he “could” have that special killer instinct to take over big games as he develops. I hate to say the way Jordan had a drive to win but that next level the really special ones have.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
He's going to be a 25PPG scorer either next year or the season after that. Been saying it all along that he has a $200M jump shot
I agree with this. His ability to drill it with a hand in his face, in addition to the speed of release, makes him truly unique. I can't believe how many open threes he's missed though. If he'd nailed the 6-7 wide open looks he's had, the national hype train would be something fierce.

Proud of Hawks passing and rebounding as well, he's acclimated and integrated about as seamless as he could into that offense.

Side note: Zion needs to STFU about the "taking a back seat" and "trusting the process" BS. The franchise literally went and got him the perfect complimentary player. He should be working on winning basketball plays like setting decent screens for Hawk, rather than airing whatever delusional gripes he has. Some guys just can't help themselves. He must be an absolute pleasure to work with.

Reaction Score
I don't know much about Donnie or Ollie--I was very young--but I do know that Andre and Niels don't apply here. Niels started a bunch of games and was one of the best 6th-men in the country by tourney time. Andre started games and averaged 16 mpg. He was another clearly high potential player.

Also, can we consider you named FOUR players--two of whom don't even apply--out of the past, what, 30 years of basketball? How many deep bench players have we had--30 40? 50? You're actually kind of proving my point.

Giffey played under 10 minutes/game and shot 32% from beyond the arc. He was advanced defensively from day 1, but there was no sign of him becoming the offensive contributor that he ended up being. Even his junior season, he shot under 30%.

Jackson was an athletic freak, but looked completely lost as a freshman. Again, little sign that he would end up developing as he did. It was in question even halfway through his junior season.

We are also not even four games into the season. In his first four games, Andre played a total of 33 minutes and scored 4 points, all in his first game against CCSU..

I really think some of us were spoiled by how naturally the pieces fit together last year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ball just has "it". He gets to the rim sometimes and can't finish but once he gets used to running into 6'10 dudes in the paint instead of hs kids he'll be fine. He cuts well, his shot looks decent (when he's not rushing his feet and actually gets set) and he defends very well.

Agree completely on Ross and Stewart. We need one of them to step up and be able to contribute or the bench depth is not going to be enough. Diarra is a good leader and a pretty good defender but his lack of offense lowers the ceiling.

Ball rushed everything last night. The game was a little too fast for him and he responded by playing a little too fast. Forcing the issue. Of course, MVS had a bunch of little quick guys out there. Still...

Hurley, in the presser, simply said that Solo was "uncomfortable." To me it looks like it may take a little time for the game to slow down for SB. But it will. Maybe sooner, maybe later. If he lets the game come to him, it will happen quicker. He is a guy who could do more by doing a bit less. It will happen, you have to be blind not to see the talent.

caw

Reaction Score

I wouldn't write off Ross and/or Stewart yet. Hurley is giving them some decent minutes. But we all wont really know much until they play real competition. They seem pretty far ahead of where Diggins, Samson and Yarin were on the pecking order though.

Samson showed way less as a freshman.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom