ITM, Hawk continues to fly high | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ITM, Hawk continues to fly high

Reaction Score
So essentially you’re betting Wemby get hurt.
It would have to be Wemby, Chet, and maybe Miller too.

Even if Hawk had better counting stats than all of them, he still wouldn't win unless it was so overwhelming that it couldnt be ignored....and even then.

NBA awards are pretty much all narrative based.

caw

Reaction Score
Hawk seems to play pretty good positional defense even in the NBA. He obviously is shooting well but the offense Hurley runs also seems to have helped as he has been pretty good at making the extra pass to the open shooter. His biggest problem is still finishing at the rim, but oddly more so on his dunk attempts. I think I've seen him stuffed at the rim twice and back rim a dunk once.

He doesn't break anyone down off the dribble but he is good enough to take advantage of poor/rushed closeouts to attack.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
It would have to be Wemby, Chet, and maybe Miller too.

Even if Hawk had better counting stats than all of them, he still wouldn't win unless it was so overwhelming that it couldnt be ignored....and even then.

NBA awards are pretty much all narrative based.
Miller is not getting any kind of media bump. OKC is a better team than NO right now and might be a legit contender with Chet a big part of that. Wemby has better stats / bigger role even though SA stinks.

I know what you’re saying about the NBA often being treated by media / fans / award voters as theatre more than sport, but I don’t think this ROY race is a great example of that. I’m curious if you have any historical examples of a media darling winning the award over someone with overwhelmingly better stats?

Reaction Score
Okay Thompson is also 6’7 with a solid frame. Hawks nowhere near as big
Hawk is 1.5 inches shorter than Klay and skinnier. Hawk is faster with more bounce.

Reaction Score
Klay used to have some good bounce
He's one of my favorite players ever, he's also always been one of the least bouncy players around. Certainly below average in that regard.

Reaction Score
Correct. We only won by 34 against a lousy team and now we stink. Whereas when we beat another lousy team by 43, that made us better than last year's title team.
But you see...we didn't cover, and everyone knows that good teams win but great teams cover...so this isn't a great team. Come on ramon.

Reaction Score
IMG_4476.jpeg

Reaction Score
This is generous. Somewhere between Danny Ainge and Joe Johnson, IMHO.

I love an opportunity to nitpick. Iso Joe is regarded as one of the best handling wings of the era. I will throw out Desmond Bane as a comp.

Reaction Score
Hawk seems to play pretty good positional defense even in the NBA. He obviously is shooting well but the offense Hurley runs also seems to have helped as he has been pretty good at making the extra pass to the open shooter. His biggest problem is still finishing at the rim, but oddly more so on his dunk attempts. I think I've seen him stuffed at the rim twice and back rim a dunk once.

He doesn't break anyone down off the dribble but he is good enough to take advantage of poor/rushed closeouts to attack.
PTSD from the dunk in the championship game.

Reactions: caw

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
It was pretty obvious how much potential he had after freshman season though. I certainly wasn't disappointed. There's a reason why he was on mock draft boards and pre-season lists despite only averaging 7ppg as a freshman--it was clearly he was bursting with talent.

I see that same potential with Solo. He isn't there yet, but the pieces are apparent. Not to the same extent as Hawkins, but it's there.

The concern will be if Ross and/or Stewart don't show those pieces by the end of the season. Right now, they're basically just on the court existing. It's rare that a kid goes from 9th/10th man to a serious, starting caliber player.

To be fair, part of the equation is how good the players in front of you are. Alex Karaban isn't getting his minutes cut for Ross, no matter how good he looks. I agree with your overall point about the kids needing to show more.

Reaction Score
I love an opportunity to nitpick. Iso Joe is regarded as one of the best handling wings of the era. I will throw out Desmond Bane as a comp.
as far as play style the Bane comp is actually pretty good

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I don't know much about Donnie or Ollie--I was very young--but I do know that Andre and Niels don't apply here. Niels started a bunch of games and was one of the best 6th-men in the country by tourney time. Andre started games and averaged 16 mpg. He was another clearly high potential player.

Also, can we consider you named FOUR players--two of whom don't even apply--out of the past, what, 30 years of basketball? How many deep bench players have we had--30 40? 50? You're actually kind of proving my point.

As regards Niels, as a freshman, he averaged 2.2 points and 1.4 rebounds and as a sophomore, he went for 2.6 points and 1.5 rebounds a game. NO ONE was talking about his pro potential. Andre's first year is tough to judge -- covid. But it was still 2.7 points and 3 rebounds per game, at almost 3 times as many minutes per game as Niels played early on.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As regards Niels, as a freshman, he averaged 2.2 points and 1.4 rebounds and as a sophomore, he went for 2.6 points and 1.5 rebounds a game. NO ONE was talking about his pro potential. Andre's first year is tough to judge -- covid. But it was still 2.7 points and 3 rebounds per game, at almost 3 times as many minutes per game as Niels played early on.
Using averages misses the picture of Niels freshman year. He played a lot early and seemingly fell out of favor, barely playing until the title game where he played 24 minutes. He only played 24 minutes in the previous 5 tourney games combined.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I really think some of us were spoiled by how naturally the pieces fit together last year.
Or at least how well we remember them sitting in the afterglow of a national championship.

Reaction Score
Hawk has arrived! FanDuel is cooking & limiting their bets on him tonight…

Capping max bets (his 3pts made you can only get at 4+ max). They also took off ability to bet on his rebounds and combos.

Reactions: caw

caw

Reaction Score
impressed with his passing in the first half of this Nuggets game, Nuggets have been doing a good job of running him off the 3pt line and trying to take his space away but JH has been putting it on the floor and making the right reads

He makes a lot of nice swing passes. He clearly learned from Hurley's coaching.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom