It sure won't be quiet in Boston this year. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It sure won't be quiet in Boston this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
By Proctor do you mean Scott Procter? He isn't on the Yankees unless they invited him to camp and I haven't heard about it.

They did, but needless to say, he did not make the team. The Yankees also have a half dozen guys in the minors in the same mold as David Robertson ready to step up for the likes of Cory Wade and Boone Logan, possibly the only real need on the big league club.

Reaction Score
We don't know yet how they'll perform but it's pretty impressive at least that the Sox are starting the year with 4 of the 5 starting pitchers homegrown and in their 20's:

Lester (28)
Buchholz (27)
Doubrant (24)
Bard (26)

The bad news is that other than Lester, three have question marks. Buchholz (health), Doubrant (great spring, can he carry it into his first year in the majors), Bard (decent spring, can he transition well into the starting role).

Even if Doubrant and Bard have their rough patches it will be nearly impossible for them to be as bad as wake, Miller and Lackey were in the 4/5 slot last year.

Reaction Score
Bobby had a good day. After Ripping Youk he gets a lecture from both the GM and Pedroia. To cap the day he leaves a tired Bard in to long to walk in the winning run. After winning the first three against Tampa, the team is feeling good and getting on track and then he opens his mouth. This guy is self destructive.

Reaction Score
It's crappy contract, but he'll be much better this year. The Sox are younger at almost every position. Ellsbury younger and better than Granderson. Gonzalez younger and better than Texiera. Pedroia and Cano about the same age. Youk breaks down, but has more in the tank than A-Rod. Jeter is past the point where he should have retired. Young, unproven catchers and a veteran around 30 for both. Swisher is 31. Gardner 28. Crawford 31. Sweeny 27/Ross 32. OF age is a wash. Garcia and Kuroda are young? Rivera and Proctor are 42 and 37. The Sox have very few guys on the pitching staff over 30, and the oldest is Lacky at 33, and he's done for the year (Thank God).

I don't think either team is in trouble, but the Yanks need to replace 3 aging veterans soon (A-Rod, Jeter and the ageless Rivera) plus the two old farts in the rotation. The sox need to replace Ortiz (and Lavarnaway and Anderson are already set to do that). If Toronto catches one or the other in a year or two, it's more likely to be NY.

HuskyHawk a pretty solid reply but a little too much Red Sox red involved.........Pretty sure we're okay with our old SS still, actually looks younger as of late. He will outplay that SS you have out there in a big way even though he's past retirement. 1B is yours unless Tex makes a comeback AGon is very good, 2nd base is close but Robbie's a slight edge, SS is ours and pretty easy because your guy can't hit his way out of a wet paperbag, 3B wash, LF wash, CF edge Ellsbury although he needs to do itmore than once and our guy is plenty solid and RF wash............C Martins excellent behind the plate but bats dead and your guy is okay with the bat but isn't a very good catcher...wash.....pitching? Who the hell knows too early for that one.....Pineda and Pettite can make it fun for sure!! Phil starting to sound like Ian Kennedy so the exit may be in his sights.......

Both teams will have ups and downs just depends on who can keep the ups up!!!!

Reaction Score
Bobby had a good day. After Ripping Youk he gets a lecture from both the GM and Pedroia. To cap the day he leaves a tired Bard in to long to walk in the winning run. After winning the first three against Tampa, the team is feeling good and getting on track and then he opens his mouth. This guy is self destructive.

Lol...gotta find the bright spot in the darkness, eh Sinkhole?

Boston just showed Tampa Bay that their pitching is not even close to being the best in the AL. They got crushed this weekend and ran out of gas in a game that started at 11:05AM. Winning 3/4 is a fantastic weekend for the Sox. I'd gladly take that any day!

Reaction Score
Lol...gotta find the bright spot in the darkness, eh Sinkhole?

Boston just showed Tampa Bay that their pitching is not even close to being the best in the AL. They got crushed this weekend and ran out of gas in a game that started at 11:05AM. Winning 3/4 is a fantastic weekend for the Sox. I'd gladly take that any day!

Small sample size my friend. Tampa's pitching will be fine. Moore was making his 4th career start and will learn from it. I will take 5-5 against Boston, Detroit and the Yanks all day. The story of the weekend is losing Ellsbury, he is a tough player to replace.

Reaction Score
Small sample size my friend. Tampa's pitching will be fine. Moore was making his 4th career start and will learn from it. I will take 5-5 against Boston, Detroit and the Yanks all day. The story of the weekend is losing Ellsbury, he is a tough player to replace.

The Sox will be fine without Ellsbury.

Reaction Score
Sitting at Fenway today, it was unbelievable how Valentine has already lost the fanbase. When Pena came up with two on, two out, the park began to stir, waiting for Bard to be taken out. After the walk, with Bobby coming to the mound, everyone settled in, expecting Bobby to take Bard out. The "boos" rained down before Bard ever threw a pitch to Longoria. There was a real sense of uneasiness among the fans. As soon as Bard fell behind 2-0, everyone sort of knew the outcome.

Before the game, all people were talking about was Valentine, the Youk comments, Pedroia and Cherington's replies, etc. After the game, all people were talking about was how poorly managed the game was.

This is what Booby V is, a self promoter who makes it all about him. Well, he's got it the way he wants it now. Good luck.

Reaction Score
And if everyone remembers, Francona lost the fan base in 2004 until they went on their ridiculous run in August and September. Everyone was calling him to leave.

Boston fans need to chill the duck out and give Bobby V a chance. That's what I'm doing...

Reaction Score
And if everyone remembers, Francona lost the fan base in 2004 until they went on their ridiculous run in August and September. Everyone was calling him to leave.

Boston fans need to chill the duck out and give Bobby V a chance. That's what I'm doing...

one huge difference, Tito wasn't calling out players two weeks into the season, he didn't need to have the GM, who didn't want him min you, and the all star 2b firing back at him. If these things happened, he kept it in house and the team was better for it. Bobby is all about Bobby, hence NESN's new Bobby Valentine Show and his weekly appearances on several media outlets outside of Boston, and he will do whatever it takes to get him in the headlines.

Reaction Score
one huge difference, Tito wasn't calling out players two weeks into the season, he didn't need to have the GM, who didn't want him min you, and the all star 2b firing back at him. If these things happened, he kept it in house and the team was better for it. Bobby is all about Bobby, hence NESN's new Bobby Valentine Show and his weekly appearances on several media outlets outside of Boston, and he will do whatever it takes to get him in the headlines.

OK...but how many Boston fans hadn't been thinking that Youk has been playing with the same vigor. You can see it! It's right there in front of our eyes. He's clearly one of the ones still upset about the whole chicken and beer thing and he just has a piss poor attitude. Maybe Bobby V shouldn't have turned to the media...but he addressed a real problem. It isn't something just made up.

Reaction Score
OK...but how many Boston fans hadn't been thinking that Youk has been playing with the same vigor. You can see it! It's right there in front of our eyes. He's clearly one of the ones still upset about the whole chicken and beer thing and he just has a piss poor attitude. Maybe Bobby V shouldn't have turned to the media...but he addressed a real problem. It isn't something just made up.

yes, youk has sucked out loud this year but you address it in the clubhouse, not the media. he knew what he was doing, it isn't like he hasn't worked in a major market before. Now every time someone has a tough stretch, does Valentine come out and question him publicly? If Ortiz goes 2/20 over the next few days, will Bobby jump on him publicly? Has he gotten on Malancon yet in the media? Why not? You can't have it both ways, either you're a tough guy who rips his players publicly or you're not. If you try to play both sides of the fence you will end up with a divided clubhouse, again. are we headed back to the days of 25 players 25 cabs? I doubt it but this is not a good start for BV.

Reaction Score
yes, youk has sucked out loud this year but you address it in the clubhouse, not the media. he knew what he was doing, it isn't like he hasn't worked in a major market before. Now every time someone has a tough stretch, does Valentine come out and question him publicly? If Ortiz goes 2/20 over the next few days, will Bobby jump on him publicly? Has he gotten on Malancon yet in the media? Why not? You can't have it both ways, either you're a tough guy who rips his players publicly or you're not. If you try to play both sides of the fence you will end up with a divided clubhouse, again. are we headed back to the days of 25 players 25 cabs? I doubt it but this is not a good start for BV.

Or look at it this way...Bobby V just beat the media to their punch. Maybe Bobby V just 'rick-rolled' the media by taking the focus off Youk and put it on him. Could be chivalrous! (Of course, I jest!)

Also...WHO GIVES A duck! WE ARE 10 GAMES INTO THE SEASON!!! Let's grill everyone who's sucked hard in the first 10 days. Youk however, is fair game. His attitude is toxic (and was last year as well) and it had to be addressed in a way that he got the message. Youk has 1 more year on his contract after this year, and I would not be surprised if he's not a Sox after next year. They'd trade him if they could, but even with a medium sized contract, his attitude pretty much makes him untradeable.

Reaction Score
Sitting at Fenway today, it was unbelievable how Valentine has already lost the fanbase. When Pena came up with two on, two out, the park began to stir, waiting for Bard to be taken out. After the walk, with Bobby coming to the mound, everyone settled in, expecting Bobby to take Bard out. The "boos" rained down before Bard ever threw a pitch to Longoria. There was a real sense of uneasiness among the fans. As soon as Bard fell behind 2-0, everyone sort of knew the outcome.

Before the game, all people were talking about was Valentine, the Youk comments, Pedroia and Cherington's replies, etc. After the game, all people were talking about was how poorly managed the game was.

This is what Booby V is, a self promoter who makes it all about him. Well, he's got it the way he wants it now. Good luck.

Is it funny how he has already lost the fanbase or is the fanbase just kinda ridiculous???;)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Is it funny how he has already lost the fanbase or is the fanbase just kinda ridiculous???;)

The fanbase is just as quick tempered as he is. Francona was great because he was so even keeled that the whims of the fanbase never ruffled him. That said, he lost control of the guys, they took advantage of him. Valentine just got a major lesson on the boundaries of his power. I think he'll learn from it and be slightly more deliberate.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

The fanbase is just as quick tempered as he is. Francona was great because he was so even keeled that the whims of the fanbase never ruffled him. That said, he lost control of the guys, they took advantage of him. Valentine just got a major lesson on the boundaries of his power. I think he'll learn from it and be slightly more deliberate.

Tito's "losing control" of the guys was not his fault. I blame the front office for that. They wouldn't let him address Manny being Manny, so he had to adjust. Francona was smart enough to know that there was no way he could shift from there after Manny was sent packing. I'm never going to forget the way ownership treated Tito. Good for him for wanting no part of their nonsense.

The Sox lost 1-0 against a playoff team with their number 5 starter on the mound and "all people were talking about was how poorly managed the game was." Those people are nuts, making mau sound good.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Tito's "losing control" of the guys was not his fault. I blame the front office for that. They wouldn't let him address Manny being Manny, so he had to adjust. Francona was smart enough to know that there was no way he could shift from there after Manny was sent packing. I'm never going to forget the way ownership treated Tito. Good for him for wanting no part of their nonsense.

The Sox lost 1-0 against a playoff team with their number 5 starter on the mound and "all people were talking about was how poorly managed the game was." Those people are nuts, making mau sound good.

Agree with you. Losing 1-0 to James Shields and the Rays, when Bard is on the mound making his second MLB start is nothing to be ashamed of. I felt the same way on opening day. Losing 3-2 to Verlander @ Detroit means you played a great game. No team in baseball would be favored to beat Verlander in Detroit, no matter who is starting.

Reaction Score
Agree with you. Losing 1-0 to James Shields and the Rays, when Bard is on the mound making his second MLB start is nothing to be ashamed of. I felt the same way on opening day. Losing 3-2 to Verlander @ Detroit means you played a great game. No team in baseball would be favored to beat Verlander in Detroit, no matter who is starting.

And yet the mass known as the Boston fan base would love to fire the whole team if they could after that 1-0 loss. <_< I like to think I'm different. Don't get me wrong, I'm fanatical...but I know when couch managing should stop too.

Reaction Score

What people were upset about, in no particular order: 1. Leaving Bard in one or two batters too long; 2. Trying to hit and run with Ross/Sweeney (iirc); 3.Not having guys like Aviles try to bunt with the corner infielders constantly playing behind the bags; 4. Not attempting to move runners along who were on base via walk/fc situations...With the lineup that was out there yesterday, you had very little outside of the 2-4 hitters who put any fear into opposing pitchers.

I think Bobby is still trying to find what he has with this team and all of the injuries make it difficult for him to know just what he has. A team that has to start, basically, two utility infielders and two #4/5 type outfielders, a rookie starter and a converted reliever in the rotation and with a blown up bullpen is not going to look very good some nights (like, tonight, for example). Add to that, the teams they have had to face, Toronto, Detroit, Texas, Tampa, all teams who should be over .500 this year, it is a tough way to start a season. He has made it tougher on himself, though, with the way he has gone about certain things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom