It sure won't be quiet in Boston this year. | The Boneyard

It sure won't be quiet in Boston this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
With Francona working for ESPN and his willingness to talk Sox, and in return, Valentine's willingness to fire back. it should be fun!

Reaction Score
Its gonna be great. Bobby V has rabbit ears and will respond to everything. He has his hands full, a snitch in the clubhouse, a big question mark at ss, banning beer and the gorilla in the room- failing to add legit starters to the back of the rotation. Its gonna be fun to watch.

Reaction Score
The NY Post has already started referring to him as Rex. Ha!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Have to admit that I had the same thought the other day. I'm not a big fan of coaches that feel they have to take the "pressure" or the "focus" off the players. I still think V has a plan. Perhaps he'll do less yakking as time goes on.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Have to admit that I had the same thought the other day. I'm not a big fan of coaches that feel they have to take the "pressure" or the "focus" off the players. I still think V has a plan. Perhaps he'll do less yakking as time goes on.

You can't really believe this.

Reaction Score
Don't count on it. Yaking is who he is but at least it will be interesting.

Reaction Score
I was a huge Francona supporter and am very leery of Bobby V. Hopefully I am wrong but Bobby will not be run out of town by the media, that is for sure. He will give them exactly what they want. And given that he, V, is a willing puppet for ownership, this could get ugly. I would expect 3rd place to be their ceiling this year with 4th a likely possibility.

Reaction Score
I was a huge Francona supporter and am very leery of Bobby V. Hopefully I am wrong but Bobby will not be run out of town by the media, that is for sure. He will give them exactly what they want. And given that he, V, is a willing puppet for ownership, this could get ugly. I would expect 3rd place to be their ceiling this year with 4th a likely possibility.
I was a Francona supporter too but it was time for him to go. He had lost control and perhaps the respect of some of his players. I never liked the special treatment that some players were given and I did not like the idea that the starting pitcher could fly ahead of the team so he'd be well-rested for the next game. For a team to be a team it needs to be together. Should they be allowed to drink in the clubhouse during the game? Heck, they shouldn't be allowed in the clubhouse during the game. I am hopeful that the Sox will be in the playoffs this year. On paper it looks like we have some holes but last year, on paper, it looked like we couldn't lose. I guess that's why they play the game.

Reaction Score
I was a Francona supporter too but it was time for him to go. He had lost control and perhaps the respect of some of his players. I never liked the special treatment that some players were given and I did not like the idea that the starting pitcher could fly ahead of the team so he'd be well-rested for the next game. For a team to be a team it needs to be together. Should they be allowed to drink in the clubhouse during the game? Heck, they shouldn't be allowed in the clubhouse during the game. I am hopeful that the Sox will be in the playoffs this year. On paper it looks like we have some holes but last year, on paper, it looked like we couldn't lose. I guess that's why they play the game.

Not saying it wasn't time for him to go. You are right about the fact that his players had tuned him out but the "star" treatment comes from ownership. It was that way under Little too. I believe it was Pedro in 2003 who wanted to fly home ahead of the team on a roadtrip when he wouldn't even be pitching and Little said no. Pedro went over his head to the owners who granted him permission.

I'm just not sure Bobby V is the answer. This reminds me of replacing Parcells with Carroll. Everyone loved Pete's energy but the team tuned him out midway through year two. If Valentine is going to try to communicate with his players through the media, I predict it won't go well. One thing Tito was great about was handling the players in private and telling the media just enough to keep them off his back. I don't see that being Bobby's style and the piranha's in the media will eat this up. I doubt the players will like it.

I really hope I am wrong about this.

Reaction Score
Not saying it wasn't time for him to go. You are right about the fact that his players had tuned him out but the "star" treatment comes from ownership. It was that way under Little too. I believe it was Pedro in 2003 who wanted to fly home ahead of the team on a roadtrip when he wouldn't even be pitching and Little said no. Pedro went over his head to the owners who granted him permission.

I'm just not sure Bobby V is the answer. This reminds me of replacing Parcells with Carroll. Everyone loved Pete's energy but the team tuned him out midway through year two. If Valentine is going to try to communicate with his players through the media, I predict it won't go well. One thing Tito was great about was handling the players in private and telling the media just enough to keep them off his back. I don't see that being Bobby's style and the piranha's in the media will eat this up. I doubt the players will like it.

I really hope I am wrong about this.
Bobby V will never last in Boston or anywhere else for that matter but for right now he may be the answer. He will put them through plenty of fundamental drills and maybe sharpen up their skills.And you are right, the players won't like it and Bobby V will use the media against them. This season the Sox need a manager to shake them up and Bobby V is more like Billy Martin than Tito.
Tito (like Torre) handled everything with class. I'm sure he reprimanded players privately and did his best to keep the media out of it. As former basketball coach Chuck Daly said, "...sometimes you just need to make a change because the players get tired of hearing the same voice."
The Sox season will ultimately come down to avoiding injuries to key players for extended periods of time. Maybe the new conditioning program will help.

Reaction Score
I never liked the special treatment that some players were given and I did not like the idea that the starting pitcher could fly ahead of the team so he'd be well-rested for the next game.

All teams do this for road trips.

Reaction Score
Its gonna be great. Bobby V has rabbit ears and will respond to everything. He has his hands full, a snitch in the clubhouse, a big question mark at ss, banning beer and the gorilla in the room- failing to add legit starters to the back of the rotation. Its gonna be fun to watch.

I seriously can't wait for the day for Tampa Bay to be completely irrelevant again.

Reaction Score
It's gonna be a long wait. How is Crawford enjoying his time in Boston?

Reaction Score
Maybe with the expanded playoffs the Sox will make it to October this year.

Reaction Score
Maybe with the expanded playoffs the Sox will make it to October this year.

I hope we won't need it. Also, I hope that Tampa Bay doesn't make it in because your fan base is the worst.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I hope we won't need it. Also, I hope that Tampa Bay doesn't make it in because your fan base is the worst.

You realize Toronto will take their place? Blue Jays are going to be good for a LONG time with the great moves they have made in the offseason. Unlike Tampa, they can actually pay their home grown players (Bautista, etc) as well. Boston is in severe trouble.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You realize Toronto will take their place? Blue Jays are going to be good for a LONG time with the great moves they have made in the offseason. Unlike Tampa, they can actually pay their home grown players (Bautista, etc) as well. Boston is in severe trouble.

This is absurd. The team with the second highest payroll in the game, and multiple all-stars, plus great young players in Pedroia, Lester and Ellsbury is not even close to being in trouble. The Yankess are in bigger trouble, with few young players and plenty of old ones that are breaking down. Apart from Cano, Granderson and maybe Texiera, the regulars are on the way to retirement (didn't count Gardner, as he's mediocre).

Reaction Score
This is absurd. The team with the second highest payroll in the game, and multiple all-stars, plus great young players in Pedroia, Lester and Ellsbury is not even close to being in trouble. The Yankess are in bigger trouble, with few young players and plenty of old ones that are breaking down. Apart from Cano, Granderson and maybe Texiera, the regulars are on the way to retirement (didn't count Gardner, as he's mediocre).

Besides Jeter and A-Rod, who are you talking about? No one in the outfield, not first base, second or catcher (Where even with trading Jesus, they are still stocked in the minors at the position) and their rotation and bullpen is young.

You have no idea what you're talking about. But enjoy Crawford and the arthritis he already developing now at his age. That should be a fun contract.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Besides Jeter and A-Rod, who are you talking about? No one in the outfield, not first base, second or catcher (Where even with trading Jesus, they are still stocked in the minors at the position) and their rotation and bullpen is young.

You have no idea what you're talking about. But enjoy Crawford and the arthritis he already developing now at his age. That should be a fun contract.

It's crappy contract, but he'll be much better this year. The Sox are younger at almost every position. Ellsbury younger and better than Granderson. Gonzalez younger and better than Texiera. Pedroia and Cano about the same age. Youk breaks down, but has more in the tank than A-Rod. Jeter is past the point where he should have retired. Young, unproven catchers and a veteran around 30 for both. Swisher is 31. Gardner 28. Crawford 31. Sweeny 27/Ross 32. OF age is a wash. Garcia and Kuroda are young? Rivera and Proctor are 42 and 37. The Sox have very few guys on the pitching staff over 30, and the oldest is Lacky at 33, and he's done for the year (Thank God).

I don't think either team is in trouble, but the Yanks need to replace 3 aging veterans soon (A-Rod, Jeter and the ageless Rivera) plus the two old farts in the rotation. The sox need to replace Ortiz (and Lavarnaway and Anderson are already set to do that). If Toronto catches one or the other in a year or two, it's more likely to be NY.

Reaction Score
Garcia and Kuroda are young? Rivera and Proctor are 42 and 37. The Sox have very few guys on the pitching staff over 30, and the oldest is Lacky at 33, and he's done for the year (Thank God).

I don't think either team is in trouble, but the Yanks need to replace 3 aging veterans soon (A-Rod, Jeter and the ageless Rivera) plus the two old farts in the rotation. The sox need to replace Ortiz (and Lavarnaway and Anderson are already set to do that). If Toronto catches one or the other in a year or two, it's more likely to be NY.

Garcia is the 6th starter and Kuroda is here on a 1 year contract. CC is 31, Nova is 24, Pineda is 23 and Hughes is 25. Kuroda will be gone next year to make room for either Banuelos or Betances. The Yanks have no need to worry about their rotation and old farts at all.

Rivera is the only old guy in the bullpen and my only worry with him is retirement. By Proctor do you mean Scott Procter? He isn't on the Yankees unless they invited him to camp and I haven't heard about it.

Reaction Score
Whatever you say, Gammonds. Good thing y0u exhausted the entire list of young Sox in your post. I'm sure you are aware that pitching is a relatively important part of this game. The Sox pitching is probably better than the Orioles, at least.

And before you consider who is or is not heading for retirement, you might want to take into account who is good enough for people to care whether they're heading for retirement or not (Ross, Sweeney, Aviles, Salty).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom