It is all on the Forsh! | The Boneyard

It is all on the Forsh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So go the Frosh (or is it Forsh?), so goes UCONN

Keys to UCONN beating Stanford
1. As has been said pressure their young guards and stop them on the boards, the offensive boards in particular.
2. My #1 key is a very strong defensive, scoring, and rebounding game from the Frosh. They are the difference between last year’s losing effort and this year’s winning effort, literally. These three must more than make up for Maya's absence.
3. Score points – many more than last year’s anemic 59 points. From last year we need to account for Maya’s 14 and Kelly’s 19. I don’t expect 19 from Kelly this year. We need many more than 3 from Tiff and more than Stef’s 6 and few more than 14 from Bria. The Kiddy Corps. must score a total of at least 25 points. Tiff 14 + Bria 16 + Kelly 5 + Stef 12 Caroline 9 = 56 + Frosh 25 = 81
4. High percentage shooting game - Somewhere above 45%. Last year UCONN shot 33% and the Cardinal shot 46%. Free Throws must be above 70%. High percentage shooting can translate to fewer rebounding opportunities for Stanford.
5. Kiah and Kaleena need to be very active on the boards. Rebounds have been stressed. However, while reviewing last year’s game total I was surprised to see UCONN did fairly well while being only slightly taller (2”). UCONN had 12 offensive rebounds (OR) and 24 defensive rebounds (DR) for a total of 36. Stanford totaled 43 with 10 OR and 33 DR. Maya and Samarie accounted for 14 boards. Kiah and Kaleena, they are yours!
6. Must stay out of foul trouble – In particular Stef must be careful. However, UCONN really cannot afford anyone in foul trouble. Keep the Cardinal off the charity stripe.
7. Protect and attack the ball – Minimize UCONN turnovers and maximize Stanford turnovers.
8. Can Heather be a key? If she is assigned 12 or so minutes of shutdown defense on Nneka and she delivers.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Who replaces Maya? Well, Caroline is back, and the new kid, Brianna Mosqueda-Stokes, looks pretty good. :)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Here's the thing about last year's game: there was a lot of weirdness going on with the team. The streak had reached 90, and the sense of "when will it end" was starting to wear on everyone. Samarie was about to transfer. Lorin was nicked up. The light hadn't come on for Stef yet (indeed, the popular narrative was that this loss was the catalyst for her). Stanford was determined that they would not let Maya beat them, and they had size to rotate onto her. No one other than Kelly stepped up. Bria tried but was ineffective, Tiff and Stef were non-factors, Lorin was too small to be effective against Stanford even at 100%, and well...that was pretty much our team last year.

The nice thing about this year's team is that, although there is not a clear go-to player on the team, there are more options, more possible hot hands to ride. This game MUST be Stef's coming out party for the season (Geno's basically given her a mild workout and let her sit the first two games). And to prevent her from being double teamed, someone has got to hit shots from the outside. Finally, someone has got to spell Stef on defense, so either Buck or Kiah must step up.

I agree that KML in particular will need to be big-time on Monday, both as a scorer and on the boards.

This is a fascinating game. Can't wait, win or lose.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Excellent analysis. Permit me to offer a brief verson.

Before I do, I invite 'Yarders to what the incomparable Willie Mays said when asked what made him such a great all-around player.

"When they hit it, I catch it.
Once I catch it, I throw it.
When they throw it, I hit it."

Let's try a variation on that theme and leave the X's and O's to Geno.

"When they have the ball, get it back.
When we have the ball, put it in the basket."

That should work, if properly executed.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Here's the thing about last year's game: there was a lot of weirdness going on with the team. The streak had reached 90, and the sense of "when will it end" was starting to wear on everyone. Samarie was about to transfer. Lorin was nicked up. The light hadn't come on for Stef yet (indeed, the popular narrative was that this loss was the catalyst for her). Stanford was determined that they would not let Maya beat them, and they had size to rotate onto her. No one other than Kelly stepped up. Bria tried but was ineffective, Tiff and Stef were non-factors, Lorin was too small to be effective against Stanford even at 100%, and well...that was pretty much our team last year.

The nice thing about this year's team is that, although there is not a clear go-to player on the team, there are more options, more possible hot hands to ride. This game MUST be Stef's coming out party for the season (Geno's basically given her a mild workout and let her sit the first two games). And to prevent her from being double teamed, someone has got to hit shots from the outside. Finally, someone has got to spell Stef on defense, so either Buck or Kiah must step up.

I agree that KML in particular will need to be big-time on Monday, both as a scorer and on the boards.

This is a fascinating game. Can't wait, win or lose.
well said Alex, esp the part about the coming out party for Stef. i agree Geno sat her a lot the first two games. he must be really confident in her game. and she must be practicing really well.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I dont think Stanford can score 70 pts againest us and I dont think Stanford can keep us from scoring 80 pts.

Reaction Score
Who replaces Maya? Well, Caroline is back, and the new kid, Brianna Mosqueda-Stokes, looks pretty good. :)
What have you all been drinking? Another clever line I will steal and use.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Additional weirdness: Geno and Tiffany had the flu in Palo Alto last year.

Reaction Score
What I like about the Forsh is that they each bring a separate set of skills to the team.

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
"Let the forsh be with you" - a great line from Star Wars. And bring those lightsabers, too!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom