It Has Begun | The Boneyard

It Has Begun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As we have read, the P5 want to provide more for their athletes....

FSU has purchased a $60,000 insurance policy for their franchise QB.....

"
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Jameis Winston purchased a $10 million disability and loss of value insurance policy, and Florida State is footing part of the bill.

A Florida State spokesman confirmed to ESPN.com on Monday that the university is paying for the reigning Heisman Trophy winner's loss of value policy with the school's Student Assistant Fund.

[+] Enlarge
Streeter Lecka/Getty ImagesJameis Winston threw an ACC-record 40 touchdowns last season. Before this season, he took out a $10 million insurance policy, paid for in part by FSU.

The spokesman did not provide a specific number as to how much the university is paying. The website Tomahawk Nation, which first reported the news, said Florida State will pay a premium in the $55,000 to $60,000 range.

Sources told ESPN.com's Darren Rovell in July that the $10 million policy is split equally between a permanent disability policy, which Winston would collect if he were injured and could never play again, and a loss of value policy, which he would collect at least a percentage of if he fell in the draft. Winston is projected to be a high first-round selection -- potentially No. 1 -- in the 2015 NFL draft if he declares following his redshirt sophomore season.

The NCAA's website states the Student Assistant Fund "shall be used to assist student-athletes in meeting financial needs that arise in conjunction with participation in intercollegiate athletics, enrollment in an academic curriculum or that recognize academic achievement."

The website adds the responsibility of the oversight and administration of funds, including interpretations of how the fund can be used, lies with the conferences."

Reaction Score
I expect this to be the leak in the dam....more programs will follow.

Winston's family has said that they would like him to play two more years....risking a $10 million dollar payday to play another year of college ball would usually be a poor business decision...maybe less so if one has some insurance protection re loss of value due to injury.

Reaction Score
FSU should set some money aside for his bail and legal defense costs, those are probably higher than the insurance policy.

Yada yada.....or maybe a show case for trophies

Reaction Score
In all seriousness if he wanted to date your daughter/grand daughter how psyched would you be?

Reaction Score
I expect this to be the leak in the dam....more programs will follow.

Winston's family has said that they would like him to play two more years....risking a $10 million dollar payday to play another year of college ball would usually be a poor business decision...maybe less so if one has some insurance protection re loss of value due to injury.

They might want to talk to the staff who has signed 3 of the top 15 QBs for next year's class. He is not coming back.

Reaction Score
He doesn't seem to be bad kid....

Sure...he received a "ticket", akin to a civil citation for shoplifting....Damn, I went to court as a young man for throwing a peach at a sailor (and missing...it went through a store front window...non adjudicated).

My high school baseball team was returning from a tournament when one of the guys in one of the cars decided to shoot windows in downtown Fort Walton Beach while passing through...cops, drawn guns....that guy is now the senior partner in one of the most respected CPA firms in the area.

I understand how teens do not think things through.

Jameis was accused...and not charged in the sex case...and the facts seemed not to support the allegation....,

He has been a kid..a 19 year old with the whole world focusing on him....girls falling all over him, reporters dogging him...

You know, I think he will turn out fine.

Reaction Score
They might want to talk to the staff who has signed 3 of the top 15 QBs for next year's class. He is not coming back.

All I can tell you is what his father says...

"The father of Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston said this week he expects his son to remain at the school through a Dec. 2015 graduation, meaning his Heisman Trophy-winning son will play two more seasons of football and one more of baseball.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...is-winston-father-football-baseball/10832277/

But...it really doesn't matter for FSU, one way or another, I do not think....FSU has some pretty good quarterbacks behind him.

Reaction Score
And....if that "staff" is Jimbo Fisher....

"
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston says Seminoles coach Jimbo Fisher was on the money when he said that the Heisman winner might play two more years of college football.

Winston told The Associated Press on Thursday that's indeed his plan.

[+] Enlarge
Kim Klement/USA TODAY SportsMany NFL draft experts believe Jameis Winston would have been a high first-round pick, possibly even No. 1, if eligible for this year's draft.

The redshirt freshman said he and Fisher -- who said Wednesday while talking about the Seminoles' recruiting class that the QB will be in Tallahassee two more years -- have a good relationship, "so whatever he says most likely is true."

Reaction Score
He doesn't seem to be bad kid....

Sure...he received a "ticket", akin to a civil citation for shoplifting....Damn, I went to court as a young man for throwing a peach at a sailor (and missing...it went through a store front window...non adjudicated).

My high school baseball team was returning from a tournament when one of the guys in one of the cars decided to shoot windows in downtown Fort Walton Beach while passing through...cops, drawn guns....that guy is now the senior partner in one of the most respected CPA firms in the area.

I understand how teens do not think things through.

Jameis was accused...and not charged in the s e x case...and the facts seemed not to support the allegation....,

He has been a kid..a 19 year old with the whole world focusing on him....girls falling all over him, reporters dogging him...

You know, I think he will turn out fine.
Uh, Billy, he has been accused of sexual assault and the cops were accused of covering it up so Florida State would not have to deal with the distraction of a rape trial while playing for a national championship. Yeah, he's a heck of a guy.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...orida-state-rape-allegation-title-ix/7815023/
Yeah, just a fun-loving kid.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Yada yada.....or maybe a show case for trophies
Uh, Billy, he has been accused of s e xual assault and the cops were accused of covering it up so Florida State would not have to deal with the distraction of a rape trial while playing for a national championship. Yeah, he's a heck of a guy.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...orida-state-rape-allegation-title-ix/7815023/
Yeah, just a fun-loving kid.

This young man is on his third chance basically because he plays football in Tallahassee.

I will vociferously root against the Seminoles for at least as long as he plays for them (as if that's so hard). If and when he goes pro, I will then root with equal vigor vs. whatever team he plays for. I will also hope against hope that he is never a member of the Redskins or Patriots.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I see the writing on the wall with this thread. Started off with the intention of pointing out that FSU is paying this kids insurance premium to stay in school. But we're about to go down a very ugly road considering the deviant who is the subject of this policy. Just be warned billybud, I know you're a FSU guy and probably love you your Winston. But to anyone outside of FSU, this kid is yet another example of the NCAA dropping the ball to deliver a proper, thorough investigation. This, of course, seems to happen to everyone but UCONN. As we all know, UCONN felt the cold shaft of the NCAA over the ridiculous APR (which apparently can now be undone by players from the 90s).

But yes, schools helping to fund insurance policies for kids is long overdue. UCONN would be a willing participant, in many ways, to adopt this should it pass autonomy vote. Most of the G5 would not.

Reaction Score
I see the writing on the wall with this thread. Started off with the intention of pointing out that FSU is paying this kids insurance premium to stay in school. But we're about to go down a very ugly road considering the deviant who is the subject of this policy. Just be warned billybud, I know you're a FSU guy and probably love you your Winston. But to anyone outside of FSU, this kid is yet another example of the NCAA dropping the ball to deliver a proper, thorough investigation. This, of course, seems to happen to everyone but UCONN. As we all know, UCONN felt the cold shaft of the NCAA over the ridiculous APR (which apparently can now be undone by players from the 90s).

But yes, schools helping to fund insurance policies for kids is long overdue. UCONN would be a willing participant, in many ways, to adopt this should it pass autonomy vote. Most of the G5 would not.
Again we were thinking along the same lines...a potentially interesting thread heading downhill with politicking!!

Reaction Score
Kids in G5 schools will still work hard. But maybe with more hatred after public knowledge of such pandering of elite athletes deepens.

Reaction Score
Admittedly...I see another side of Jameis.

Not the short hand lynching of media....I

I watch him stay and sign kids things far after other players have left...never turning down a child, I listen to him when he speaks....I know of his hospital visits that are not, at his request, publicized.

I have talked to the young man, not at length, but in casual conversation. I still hold that he will be OK.

Now...back to topic...

I can see an expansion of this athlete welfare program that is by NCAA edict, interpreted wholly by the conferences. Some conferences will push the envelope...some will not.

As it now stands, the $350,000 limit, if not raised, would not strain most programs.

Reaction Score

I watch him stay and sign kids things far after other players have left...never turning down a child, I listen to him when he speaks....I know of his hospital visits that are not, at his request, publicized.

I have talked to the young man, not at length, but in casual conversation. I still hold that he will be OK.

Now...back to topic...

I can see an expansion of this athlete welfare program that is by NCAA edict, interpreted wholly by the conferences. Some conferences will push the envelope...some will not.

As it now stands, the $350,000 limit, if not raised, would not strain most programs.

He's a friggn saint.What a surprise.

Reaction Score
FSU should set some money aside for his bail and legal defense costs, those are probably higher than the insurance policy.

Not necessary given that you're talking about the Tallahassee police department.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Now...back to topic...

Tony Soprano was a nice guy too. He made sure Angie Bompensiero was provided for after he tossed P.u.s.s.y's cold lifeless body overboard.

Reaction Score
WACO — Baylor athletic director Ian McCaw said the school plans to partially fund disability insurance policies for quarterback Bryce Petty, receiver Antwan Goodley and offensive lineman Spencer Drang

The money will come from the NCAA’s student assistance fund, which is administered through conference offices. Petty, Goodley and Drango are all projected as potential early-round NFL draft picks.

Florida State reportedly helped fund an insurance policy for Heisman winner Jameis Winston.

Reaction Score
And....if that "staff" is Jimbo Fisher....

"
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston says Seminoles coach Jimbo Fisher was on the money when he said that the Heisman winner might play two more years of college football.

Winston told The Associated Press on Thursday that's indeed his plan.

[+] Enlarge
Kim Klement/USA TODAY SportsMany NFL draft experts believe Jameis Winston would have been a high first-round pick, possibly even No. 1, if eligible for this year's draft.

The redshirt freshman said he and Fisher -- who said Wednesday while talking about the Seminoles' recruiting class that the QB will be in Tallahassee two more years -- have a good relationship, "so whatever he says most likely is true."

If Winston is a potential top 3 pick in this year's draft he would be borderline crazy to come back. I wonder how Matt Leinert and Matt Barkley feel about coming back for another year considering how things turned out for them?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Baylor and Florida State didn't sort this out for themselves - Texas A&M researched and found the loophole when they were trying to keep Cedric Ogbuehi in school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom