It Has Begun | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It Has Begun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Actually it should be: "and so it begins."

Only for those who are culturally illiterate....

It Has Begun....the offiicial start to Mortal Combat....Shang Tsung

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Why should a first round pick be entitled to Disability coverage and someone who might not make it as a pro not? If I get a stinger and can't play anymore, and I am precluded from other vocations due to my disability, I would sue the school and fund for the coverage. It makes no difference if I am a first round pick or run a construction company. There is a loss of wages here. These schools really don't get it.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Why should a first round pick be entitled to Disability coverage and someone who might not make it as a pro not? If I get a stinger and can't play anymore, and I am precluded from other vocations due to my disability, I would sue the school and fund for the coverage. It makes no difference if I am a first round pick or run a construction company. There is a loss of wages here. These schools really don't get it.
Because they are virtually assured of a multi million dollar career while other players have no such guarantee. Pretty simple.

Reaction Score
Because they are virtually assured of a multi million dollar career while other players have no such guarantee. Pretty simple.

How about an athlete med student/surgeon who damages his hands?

Reaction Score

It looks like the school can insure any student-athlete it wants, but there wouldn't be the same incentive here. If the student is at most marginally pro material, there isn't the same concern about the athlete being drafted early. Further, the student cannot become a doctor/surgeon until he finishes school anyway. The student may have incentive to buy the insurance himself, not the school.

Reaction Score
Just a thought regarding these insurance policies. Think about it this way, say a P5 school shows up and their offensive line is insured for 10 mil, the QB is insured for 10 mil. And their is an FCS school, no insurance on any player. The FCS school, is stoked to play this game, they have nothing to lose - literally, so they play hard/tough and intentional or not a few players on the P5 staff are injured, lost for the season. The risk is high, the insurance premiums go up and the justification - they need the no fault insurance! Just saying, I wonder if this will lead into less opportunities for the G5 as well. Maybe this argument doesn't have merit, but the facts are simple, the P5 want only other p5 competition!

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

That Athlete is an undergrad and isn't assured of attending medical school, let alone graduating, practicing as a physician or becoming a surgeon. What insurance company is going to insure a pipe dream of future earnings? If you find one, let me know and I'm going to insure myself against getting injured in rec league basketball and ruining my chance of becoming a surgeon at some point

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

They're not trying to provide a benefit here, they're trying to keep a particular athlete in school. An athlete like Winston who has such a tremendous earning potential requires a far larger premium than most and they're emptying the fund to a) pay it and b) induce him to stay in school.

As to the surgeon or construction worker, every NCAA athlete in every sport is automatically covered by a catastrophic injury policy and secondary insurance policies carried by the universities. The premiums and deductibles are generally 100% covered.

Reaction Score
It's always nice to be reminded some people learned absolutely nothing from the Duke men's lacrosse team.

Reaction Score
It's always nice to be reminded some people learned absolutely nothing from the Duke men's lacrosse team.

That's true but I think the difference between Duke and FSU is that Duke had a reputation to maintain and they went ballistic,especially the academics, Florida, eh.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That's true but I think the difference between Duke and FSU is that Duke had a reputation to maintain and they went ballistic,especially the academics, Florida, eh.
I'm not sure two have a lot to do with each other.

In the Duke case, an over zealous District Attorney was looking to make an example. In Tallahassee, almost the exact opposite is happening. There's no evidence, not because it didn't exist, but because it wasn't fully collected accurately or competently. Not only did police appear to drop the ball, but so did the school and the NCAA.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure two have a lot to do with each other.

In the Duke case, an over zealous District Attorney was looking to make an example. In Tallahassee, almost the exact opposite is happening. There's no evidence, not because it didn't exist, but because it wasn't fully collected accurately or competently. Not only did police appear to drop the ball, but so did the school and the NCAA.

The MAJOR difference in the FSU case is that the local police basically told the victim that she should not pursue the case because he was a football player.

Reaction Score
The MAJOR difference in the FSU case is that the local police basically told the victim that she should not pursue the case because he was a football player.
When's the NCAA going to levy sanctions against FSU like they did with Penn State? Or does the rape of a woman not count?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
When's the NCAA going to levy sanctions against FSU like they did with Penn State? Or does the rape of a woman not count?
you might need an actual conviction. Just sayin.

Reaction Score
you might need an actual conviction. Just sayin.
They didn't wait for one in the Penn State case, just sayin'. In fact, the main actors involved in said cover up at Penn State still haven't had their day in court nearly 3 years after being charged, and one of them has been dead for a couple of years. I find it interesting how the NCAA picks and chooses which offenses they will sanction and which they will just ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom