It’s UConn/USC on Thursday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It’s UConn/USC on Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So we might be playing 3 games in a row

Seems like an odd move. I'm not sure if Texas Trch is solid, but they were recently in the Championship game. Playing TTech seems like a better game. But what do I know.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I'm just selfishly bummed that we have to wait until Th at the earliest for the next game. If that's how it plays out, what do you think the odds are, after almost a week of practice since hartford, that we see both Gaff and Cole start again?

Reaction Score
We need the practice.. Conditioning.. Reps.. DH/staff will be smoothing out some of the rough edges.. USC/NC St will be good upgrades in comp as we see the BE on the horizon.. Let's stay healthy and motivated.. Prepare for a crazy BB year and enjoy the games when we have them.. Thankful Mohegan is as convenient for us as it is..

Reaction Score
USC was taken to overtime by California Baptist and had a 14 point win vs Montana. Both games they took a significant number of foul shots and only hit 58% and 61% so that might help us. they made 5 threes then 6 so it is the inside game we have to deal with. Evan Mobley at 7' and Isaiah Mobley at 6'10 were on the court together a bunch. Evan of course, was the #1 overall recruit last year that is mobile and skilled but played soft. I watched Lance Ware own him at Hoophall, then Hunter Dickinson destroyed him in a second game there. So how are we going to play a twin towers? Maybe Polley can help because these guys are like him, (I'll hope for it but don't expect it). Maybe our small ball takes their bigs out of the game by being up and down, (not betting on it, plus Mobley is fleet). Maybe we should have played some minutes with 2 bigs, just in case we need to?

I have no doubts about Sanogo against wide bodies, but I'll be interested to see him get his shots in the paint, and how he can stay with fast bigs that want to start outside and drive. Whaley is the right style but will he be big enough. What happens when Whaley gets in foul trouble. Akok and Samson are made for this game but I don't have a clue what Hurley's strategy will be. I think this game will tell us a great deal about Hurley and whether Carlton and Springs are considered unplayable. USC had 16 & 17 turnovers so we have hope for a ball handling advantage if we take care of it ourselves.

Please play 2 bigs for at least some minutes. Try it. You might like it.

Reaction Score
I mean true but it’s not our fault. This season was going to be weird. Hurley gets more practice time with his team. Kinda what he wanted.
It also seems like he doesn’t want to play someone new without having much time to scout them. He alluded to it before, basically saying one game can railroad your season. Granted, I’m sure they could’ve gotten a good team where a loss wouldn’t hurt much per say. But it seems like he wants as much time to practice and scout as possible. All good. Keep the two games later this week and maybe they can still add one more after NC State and before Big East play if things go well. It’s easy for everyone to hammer them to say play anyone anytime regardless of circumstances etc etc. but Hurley seems pretty intent on doing what he feels like is best for the team, even if it’s unpopular.

Reaction Score
That’s what I think. But like Dave Borges said- it’s a very fluid situation.

Did they get rid of the 1 team per conference rule for pre-season tournaments this year? If they didn’t then we couldn’t play in a tournament with St. John’s.

Reaction Score
Did they get rid of the 1 team per conference rule for pre-season tournaments this year? If they didn’t then we couldn’t play in a tournament with St. John’s.

I don't believe there is a formal rule against it. Teams/tourneys just try to avoid it. Both Memphis and Wichita were supposed to play in Atlantis this year and that was scheduled before Covid became a thing.

Reaction Score

Still a little time gap between NC State and Big East play on the 11th. Very possible to add another game there, maybe even another at Mohegan if anyone else is still around.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Mobley will be a great test for Sanogo and Whaley at the 5. Really looking forward to that matchup.

Both Mobley's in the front court. We may get to see Sanogo at the 5 and Whaley at the 4 against Evan Mobley 6'11 and Isaiah Mobley 6'10.

Big practice week for Carlton knowing we could play a bigger frontcourt on Thursday.

Reaction Score
Hate that every single game this season will be tentative right up to the second of the tip-off.
If it's tentative due to Covid testing/restrictions that's 100% the way it should be.

If it's tentative because teams arbitrarily decide if they looked good or bad in their last game and do/don't want to play without more practice, that's bad.

Reaction Score
Looks like they changed the format so it's not a tournament. So I guess that's why it's O.K.

Reaction Score
They did get rid of the 1 team per conference rule for this year btw

Reaction Score
so mad right now. we are only playing 1 game instead of 2. Could they not find a team to fill in this quickly?

From Courant article, seems like Hurley’s preference at this time. Maybe thinking 3 games/5 games too much at this time.

Reaction Score
I don't believe there is a formal rule against it. Teams/tourneys just try to avoid it. Both Memphis and Wichita were supposed to play in Atlantis this year and that was scheduled before Covid became a thing.

I think that was because Wichita signed on to that tournament before they joined the AAC so they would’ve been granted an exception. It’s the same reason Butler and Georgetown played each other at the Battle of Atlantis 6-7 years ago.

Reaction Score
It also seems like he doesn’t want to play someone new without having much time to scout them. He alluded to it before, basically saying one game can railroad your season. Granted, I’m sure they could’ve gotten a good team where a loss wouldn’t hurt much per say. But it seems like he wants as much time to practice and scout as possible. All good. Keep the two games later this week and maybe they can still add one more after NC State and before Big East play if things go well. It’s easy for everyone to hammer them to say play anyone anytime regardless of circumstances etc etc. but Hurley seems pretty intent on doing what he feels like is best for the team, even if it’s unpopular.
I agree with this even tho I’m disappointed no game tmrw. However I was also thinking of it as we should try to squeeze in as many games as we can because you never know how things are going to look in January and you know damn well there’s going to be probably two or three times this year during the season where UConn is going to probably have to take some time off due to Covid. Soooooo it’s a balancing act - do you want to get in some more practices or do you want to make sure you fill your schedule so u qualify? Tuff

Reaction Score
Still a little time gap between NC State and Big East play on the 11th. Very possible to add another game there, maybe even another at Mohegan if anyone else is still around.

UConn / NC State is the last day of Bubbleville (i think even the last game). Id assume any other OOC games down the road will be at Gampel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom