It’s hard to be that unprepared for a game. | Page 13 | The Boneyard

It’s hard to be that unprepared for a game.

Reaction Score
Hurley is a big mouth that hasn't delivered crap in the spot light. His biggest win was watching from the locker room while Kamani coached. Fanboys love the schtick and buy the bull sheet, and keep covering for his failures. Until he actually wins something of significance, he’s just another increasingly irritating showman loaded with excuses. If Florida wants him, please take him. Thats where most Jersey trash ends up anyways.

Reaction Score
Hurley is a big mouth that hasn't delivered crap in the spot light. His biggest win was watching from the locker room while Kamani coached. Fanboys love the schtick and buy the bull sheet, and keep covering for his failures. Until he actually wins something of significance, he’s just another increasingly irritating showman loaded with excuses. If Florida wants him, please take him. Thats where most Jersey trash ends up anyways.

I spit out my drink. This is Frank the Tank from Barstool. Has to be.

Reaction Score
He does deliver a good chest bump to his players. He looks like a walk-on player cheerleading his team instead of a dialed in, composed coach.

Reaction Score
I found it very interesting that during the Arkansas game musselman said in his halftime interview that they were changing their ball screen coverage every time tv timeout to keep Vermont off guard. We didn’t switch our defense all year lol.
That being said I actually thought our offense was good down the stretch tonight. We were getting a bucket nearly every possession down the stretch until the turnover where I thought Hurley should have been taking the timeout. And you can’t foul jump shooters I don’t know who to blame on that. We haven’t done it all year so it’s hard to blame the coaches for it. We lose this game in the first half with our lack of intensity on both sides of the ball. Terrible night!

Reaction Score
Hurley is stubborn. That sums it up.
No its more than stubborn, he's arrogant and he's just not that bright, he just doesn't make adjustments, and tonight it cost them the season. Richmond from the Hall killed us and Hurley managed to let a team with one good player beat us single handedly. Its really hard to coach a game this badly but he managed to do it because he wouldn't try any other defensive scheme, double team him and make him give up the ball, a box and one, a zone, anything but man to man because no one could guard him. He's just not a good coach. Great recruiter but a lousy coach. Martin was terrible all nite but he played the entire game. First half no rebounds, a few turnovers 1 point and couldn't guard me and I'm 70. What does it take to get taken out of the game because playing terribly certainly doesn't. Overtime we play the other coach has a game plan designed to disrupt what Hurley runs ( the same awful offense game in and game out), and we play the same no matter who we're playing.. The same starting line up, then same slow starts. a player on the player on the other team has a career night and we just let it happen,I m done.... rant over.

Reaction Score
Continue to run out Sanogo and Whalley at the same time. Both in the game hurts us offensively as other teams are able to disrespect Whalley’s outside shot and clamp down on Sanogo underneath. Defensively it forces at least one of them to play outside. Weakens our perimeter defense (7 for 10 from 3) and limits the ability to double on their stud. Considering NMS didn’t show the ability to produce in the plant. Hurley’s stubbornness to try force two 5’s is what killed this team. It wasn’t until Polley came in the game, that our offense opened up a bit and defensively we were able to athletically match them.

I thought Martin was extremely tentative. As much as I love Jackson, having him out there is an offensive liability at times. Having him on the floor with Whalley camped out at the 3 essentially at times leaves 3 offensive options only on the court. When Whalley is outside it allows the D to take away Sanogo and when Whalley goes inside it clogs up the middle. I’ve been saying this all year.

Reaction Score
I remember Calhoun losing a first round game with Drummond, Lamb, and Napier as starters. It happens.

How about the years Calhoun didn't make the tournament?
Agreed, Calhoun was incredible and had some amazing seasons. But he had some clunkers. Miss St in 1996, NC St in 2005 (10 over 2), let's not even mention GMason and that absolute stinker vs Iowa St and the upset vs San Diego (13 over 4).

However, Hurley needs to get a win next year, especially if he is a top 6 seed, it is a MUST.

Reaction Score
This is what a rebuild is suppose to look like.

We were ranked for a majority of the season and received the highest seed since 2010-2011 and went to the tournament back-to-back seasons in the first time in 10 years. This is Danny’s 4th year at UConn and 1 of those 4 years there wasn’t a tournament.

We are back to relevance which is something you need to consider since we were a joke prior to him being here.

Stop getting emotionally tied down after a loss and be patient with the rebuild process.

A rebuild isn't supposed to look like losing as a substantial favorite in the NCAAT two years in a row.

Reaction Score
lower seeded teams are always outperforming some higher seeds every year. Doesn't mean their coaches didn't prepare them. Some teams and players just create the Magic for March Madness. Uconn just happened to be another giant knocked down. Unfortunately, we were outplayed and out coached. But mostly, out played

When does "just happened" become a reality check for the head coach? We have a pattern of losing close games because of our offense. At some point the coach needs to look in the mirror

Reaction Score
The UConn program that Hurley inherited was not healthy even though UConn had a history and good facilities. Not only was the recent win/loss record and recruiting poor, UConn was playing in the AAC vs. Calhoun playing in the Big East.

Look at the rosters the 2 inherited when they were hired. Calhoun inherited Robinson and Gamble, a freshman Tate George, and Gerry Besselink who average a double double at center. Two of those guys were drafted by the NBA. Sure, Robinson and Gamble ran into academic problems year 1, but they came back in year 2. Assuming Polley, Whaley, and Carlton don't get drafted, Hurley did not inherit any NBA talent. And his first year roster had 2 Community College and 4 college transfers. In other words, Hurley's first roster was a mess.
Besselink didn't average a double double till Calhoun became his coach - his turn around in 1 season was one of the reasons I knew Calhoun would be successful. I also know that those 'great' players would have never developed under Perno.
I hear this argument about how much worse Hurley had it than Calhoun and that is a bunch of BS

Reaction Score
Play of the game was when Akok actively sought out the three point line so he could put his toe on it and take a point off the board.

I guess one benefit of the season ending is no more Polley takes from you.
Akok hit that shot and at least once helped on D to prevent a drive. I know he had the goal tend but be was hustling. That’s more than others delivered yesterday

Reaction Score
There’s really no more excuses here. Nothing more can be said about how down we were 4 years ago or the Ollie guys he inherited. It’s about to be year 5 of the Hurley tenure with absolutely nothing to show for it. He needs to own this and do better or we need to find another coach point blank.

Reaction Score
What's to like alot? .
He's an average at best coach
At best
Good recruiter.
Good overall defensive coach
Poor offensive coach [ shooting/ scoring is a constant issue. Every year.
Abysmal in game coach.
Completely predictable
Stubborn beyond reason.
No in game adjustments no matter what.
Loses games down the stretch OFTEN to other opposing coaches cleaning his clock coaching wise
[ tonight prime example let one player go off for 37 and singlehandedly beat you when the other 4 players on opposing team are benchwarmers at UCONN].
Did I say Stubborn ...
Average coaches shouldn't be good enough at a program with 4 National Championship s .
Hurley is a perfect fit at URI but URI is not UCONN and Hurley isn't cutting it at UCONN
Plus he doesn’t develop the bench players

Reaction Score
So you are now the 8th or 9th person to state this, just in this thread. Which means it’s glaringly obvious. So why the hell doesn’t he see it?? Or the other coaches?? Or someone with a brain within the program????

Are they all insane??
Not insane, just idiots.

Reaction Score
One of the commentators said during the telecast-"UConn keeps bailing Allen out with fouls when he's putting up another wild shot at the end of the shot clock".. Happened a few times

Reaction Score
This is really silly. Calhoun was taking over a regional program and quickly turned them into a national power. He was the national coach of thr year his 4th season and was Tate George holding onto the ball away from the final 4. Hurley took over a beleaguered national power and in his 4th year lost first round to a 12 seed.

I don't know why people keep bringing up Calhoun and Jay Wright as some sort of comparison to Hurley.
It’s not even fair. They’re 2 of the top 10 CBB coaches ever. Calhoun top 3 imo

Reaction Score
it didn't look like they had a game plan. just go into it like we're better then them.

either hurley needs to give some consideration to the basic "belichick plan" of taking their big threat out of the game and making their other players beat us, or Allen was better than anyone on our team
Their defensive gameplan was exactly like Creighton. Sag on Whaley and Jackson double the paint and use the guys sagging to keep us off the Offensive glass, which is how we win most of our games. It worked.

Also, I believe their coach had them foul Sanogo if he had offensive position on a rebound, so no put backs. They had like 4 fouls on pushes on Sanogo in the 2nd half when he went to grab a rebound. Smart, but it got them in the bonus early which we couldnt do much with.

Reaction Score
The 2nd half we did focus on him (I mean we did in the first half too, he was 0/6 to start). We were blitzing his PnRs and forcing him into deep 3s and off the dribble step back 2s.

He just made a bunch. He made one from the logo in the 2nd half. And then we stupidly fouled him on 2 3-pointers.
There's a lot to criticize but a lot of people are (rightly) upset while also not really knowing what they're watching.

Reaction Score
Am I wrong or wasn’t the consensus on here at the end of last season that we would be taking a step back this year????
Yup. I think everyone expected to be a bubble team.

This was a good flawed team whose best upperclassmen were high floor low ceiling guys. Honestly, a trio of Hawkins-Sanogo-Jackson should be very good, and as much as I like Whaley, him not being on the roster will force Hurley to play a more balanced 5.

Reaction Score
I found it very interesting that during the Arkansas game musselman said in his halftime interview that they were changing their ball screen coverage every time tv timeout to keep Vermont off guard. We didn’t switch our defense all year lol.
this is the kind of stuff i keep ruminating on that makes me really wonder if he can get us back to being UConn. Kind of scary.

Hoping he keeps growing. We will learn a ton next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom