It’s hard to be that unprepared for a game. | Page 12 | The Boneyard

It’s hard to be that unprepared for a game.

Reaction Score
Smart has lost six round-of-64 games in a row. So it could be worse.

Reaction Score
This is what a rebuild is suppose to look like.

We were ranked for a majority of the season and received the highest seed since 2010-2011 and went to the tournament back-to-back seasons in the first time in 10 years. This is Danny’s 4th year at UConn and 1 of those 4 years there wasn’t a tournament.

We are back to relevance which is something you need to consider since we were a joke prior to him being here.

Stop getting emotionally tied down after a loss and be patient with the rebuild process.
Not disagreeing with you that this is what rebuilds should like, but this is still disappointing. When Hurley was hired I think we all expected to be further along than this, and by further along I mean winning a single NCAA tournament game in 4 years.

We're back to relevance but from a national standpoint that is fleeting. It's sad but true, the national media likes winners. We need to win games in March.

On the contrary I'm not emotional at all, I'm actually being very rational. My emotional side is that UConn is capable of winning a national championship every year.

Reaction Score
The same team that got beat by a team called “Sam Houston st” by 40 points is better than us? I think not….
They were better than us today.

They shot 11-17 (65%) against us from three, and 13-13 (100%) from the FT line. Those numbers are ridiculously good. Give them credit. There's not a team in college that is capable of averaging anywhere in that neighborhood. Heck, there isn't a team in the NBA that averages anywhere in that neighborhood.

Against Sam Houston, they shot 22% from three and ~60% from the line. The Sam Houston version of New Mexico State is not better than us. But the version we saw today was.

Reaction Score
Akok was better than polley today.
Bwahahahaha. That over the back foul and then the goal tend must have really impressed you prior to the toe-on-the-line 2 pointer. Amazes me the lengths you will go to in order to knock Polley and generate infinite false narratives about the guy’s play. I imagine you will trash him next season, even when he isn’t on the roster. You lose a ton of credibility with these over-the-top anti-Polley takes.

Reaction Score
Hurley needs to prove it in big games but it is common for coaches to stink in big games for a while until they figure it out (calhoun, wright, bennett, ect.) not saying hurley will get there but those guys were all there at one point or another
That’s a fair observation but the big games that JC didn’t close were in the Sweet 16 by comparison.

Reaction Score
He has lost as many times in the first round as Calhoun did in 25 years.

you are not wrong... this is becoming a pattern, where with calhoun winning in the 1st round was the norm.

Everyone preaching patience.. but the fact is Danny has never gotten to the second weekend. Wagner, URI and arguably his best team with Uconn this year.

Everyone has a right to be frustrated. KO drove this program into the ground and Danny go us back to being relevant. But tournament success speaks.. And I do not hear. A single. peep.

Reaction Score
Needs to start recruiting shooters. Hurley's style is too old school for the modern game. The fact is that everyone on the floor in today's game needs to be a threat from the 3 point line and we're the complete antithesis of that.

Teams like Gonzaga, Baylor and Villanova have 4-5 shooters on the floor most of the time. This year our starting line up had maybe 2 with RJ and Rese.

Reaction Score
They were better than us today.

They shot 11-17 (65%) against us from three, and 13-13 (100%) from the FT line. Those numbers are ridiculously good. Give them credit. There's not a team in college that is capable of averaging anywhere in that neighborhood. Heck, there isn't a team in the NBA that averages anywhere in that neighborhood.

Against Sam Houston, they shot 22% from three and ~60% from the line. The Sam Houston version of New Mexico State is not better than us. But the version we saw today was.
The quote was that New Mexico St is a better team than UConn. By any metric you want to look at that is erroneous. Yea they shot out of their tonight but that was 1 game. 1 game doesn’t make you a better team…

Reaction Score
Am I pissed? Yes. Do I think Hurley should be fired? No. Do I think Hurley needs to improve on the offensive end? Yes. Is this team lacking in players who can create shots for themselves? Yes.

We need some playmakers. Hopefully we get that next year with Sool, CFJ, Hawkins, and Karaban.

Tremendous playmaker coming in 2023 with Castle, but we’ve got to find some offense next year.

I’m excited for all the young guys to get serious minutes. I think Samson could very well be the best of that group. If he can develop a decent jumper to stretch the floor and a few post moves he’ll compliment Adama nicely. Hawkins and Karaban can hopefully fill the Tyrese and Polley roles. Then I hope CFJ and Sool are ready and push Gaffney.

Reaction Score
The UConn program that Hurley inherited was not healthy even though UConn had a history and good facilities. Not only was the recent win/loss record and recruiting poor, UConn was playing in the AAC vs. Calhoun playing in the Big East.

Look at the rosters the 2 inherited when they were hired. Calhoun inherited Robinson and Gamble, a freshman Tate George, and Gerry Besselink who average a double double at center. Two of those guys were drafted by the NBA. Sure, Robinson and Gamble ran into academic problems year 1, but they came back in year 2. Assuming Polley, Whaley, and Carlton don't get drafted, Hurley did not inherit any NBA talent. And his first year roster had 2 Community College and 4 college transfers. In other words, Hurley's first roster was a mess.
This is really silly. Calhoun was taking over a regional program and quickly turned them into a national power. He was the national coach of thr year his 4th season and was Tate George holding onto the ball away from the final 4. Hurley took over a beleaguered national power and in his 4th year lost first round to a 12 seed.

I don't know why people keep bringing up Calhoun and Jay Wright as some sort of comparison to Hurley.

Reaction Score
We’re talking about NMSU like they’re Auburn for chrissakes Seems like when a team has one weapon, a guy making $3m per year could gameplan against him with a team full of upper class men. Horrible loss.
Correct. We beat shaq!!!

Reaction Score
What happened out there tonight?

The pressure is only going to build from here…… they were so bad in the first half.

Fortunately, that was actually an improvement with the same result compared to last year. They were garbage the entire game last year.

Time for a very angry sleep.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Don't want him gone anyway. He's a good coach and he will fix this.

0 - 2 in the tournament as our coach is not a big enough sample size to come to the conclusion that he can't win here.
Let's remember that in his first five years at Duke, K didn't get them into the tourney until his 4th year, where as a 3 seed they lost their first game to the 6 seed (field was 48). In second year, also as a 3 seed, Duke did beat the 14 seed, but then lost to the 11 seed in 2nd game.

Reaction Score
Ollie was 2-0 in first round games. This should be fun.

and then failed to qualify three years in a row as the roster went to shiite, players transferred and the NCAA came a calling. No doubt Hurley will meet the same fate if he doesn't qualify the next three years.

Reaction Score
A prepared UConn team doesn't score 22 points in the first half and find themselves down 10 points.
lower seeded teams are always outperforming some higher seeds every year. Doesn't mean their coaches didn't prepare them. Some teams and players just create the Magic for March Madness. Uconn just happened to be another giant knocked down. Unfortunately, we were outplayed and out coached. But mostly, out played

Reaction Score
The only success Hurley had at URI was with a jacked senior led team that under-performed all season until they got hot in the A10 and NCAAs. Hurley is not a big game prep coach.

If he were a good preparation coach he would have had much more success in the AAC. He can recruit but he cannot prepare very well. Biggest win of this season was vs Nova when he wasn't even on the court.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
If only Hurley was a good enough coach to get his team who shot 30% from 3 all year to suddenly shoot 67% on 18 attempts…

They got hot at the right time, it happens. We tip the hat and move on.

Reaction Score
There is something called transfer portal. This is 2022, not 2018. Every player in America is effectively a free agent at the end of every year. We can make a better team through transfers.
How more ppl don't see this is beyond me. Gone are the days of hoping to mold freshman or recruit a once every decade game changing recruit chooses your school. Every mid major underclassman is playing to move up in competition. There will be proven, game ready players every year to go out and recruit. The college game is changing quickly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom