It’s all my fault | The Boneyard

It’s all my fault

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Every single time I pick up a “lucky penny”. Something bad happens. Seriously, no lie. Last week I picked one up and later turned my ankle so badly I had to get X-rays. The time before, I lot a key.

Yesterday, I, the eternal optimist, picked up a penny I found and then the UConn team threw a stinker. My fault. No more pennies, I promise

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Every single time I pick up a “lucky penny”. Something bad happens. Seriously, no lie. Last week I picked one up and later turned my ankle so badly I had to get X-rays. The time before, I lot a key.

Yesterday, I, the eternal optimist, picked up a penny I found and then the UConn team threw a stinker. My fault. No more pennies, I promise

What is a penny? :confused:

Reaction Score

Next time just leave the penny where it is. It just ain’t worth it. Don’t bend over till you see a silver dollar or a gold coin.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

The simple solution is to pick up the lucky penny and then give it away: A tip jar, a handout, or simply leave it somewhere where someone else may find it. Your generosity will add further luck.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I haven't picked up a penny in years. Lately I've passed up a couple of nickles. The investment in pain is not worth the return.
My thoughts exactly.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I haven't picked up a penny in years. Lately I've passed up a couple of nickles. The investment in pain is not worth the return.
It is a habit that I just cannot shed. Like cleaning my plate . It was so firmly ensconced in my psyche. I even turn out lights habitually. And pay to recycle. Waste not , want not was my parents vade mecum. They grew up in the Depression, came from big families, and never got over it. When my Dad died, it took three days to haul away all the bits and pieces he had accumulated in his life. Jars of nails and screws and nuts and washers and a lumber yard under the front porch and bits of wire and old appliances. Old fittings with the solder still nearly intact, and pipe fittings and tools for laying slate roofs. It is in my blood! BTW, my wife and I cut the lawn for the first time this season one day last week, and she found a ten dollar bill under some leaves. She makes me get the pennies. :D

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

I move that re-title your post as Confiteor, and thus submit your mea culpa.

Reaction Score
When I was a kid there were still a few things you could buy with a penny -
12 minutes on a parking meter, a gum ball or shallow palmful of stale spanish
peanuts from one of those machines, or maybe a small blob of candy on a
piece of wax paper.

Today I'm hard pressed to think of anything you can buy with a dime.

Why do we mint coins that you can't buy anything with?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Every single time I pick up a “lucky penny”. Something bad happens. Seriously, no lie. Last week I picked one up and later turned my ankle so badly I had to get X-rays. The time before, I lot a key. Yesterday, I, the eternal optimist, picked up a penny I found and then the UConn team threw a stinker. My fault. No more pennies, I promise

For God's sake please don't pick up any paper money!!! ;)

Reaction Score
The melt value of a pre-1982 penny is almost 2 cents.

The commodity is worth double the currency value.

It is illegal to melt pennies, in fact an assay could indicate currency melt in a bar of bullion.

Nevertheless, copper bars have been showing up for sale for a while now along with gold silver platinum and palladium.

I see penny rolls selling double face value at coin and bullion shows regularly. Nothing special, just common pennies pre ‘82.

Picking up pennies —- I was told when I was young that the penny had to be face up to get good luck.

Just my 2 cents.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
And HuskyNan gets on ME for jinxing teams
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif

Reaction Score
My grandmother was the one that always uttered those immortal words... find a penny pick it up and all day long have good luck. But there was a strict procedure that need to be followed. If the penny was heads up it was OK to pick it up, if however the tails side was facing up you had to turn it over and leave it for the next person to find it. They would then be the beneficiary of the day long good luck.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My grandmother was the one that always uttered those immortal words... find a penny pick it up and all day long have good luck. But there was a strict procedure that need to be followed. If the penny was heads up it was OK to pick it up, if however the tails side was facing up you had to turn it over and leave it for the next person to find it. They would then be the beneficiary of the day long good luck.
Given your handle and avatar, you would be the resident expert on such things :)

Reaction Score

Just think that penny is worth 1/20 of it's value in 1960. Which mean's it worth point 5 mills or less. The energy expended to pick it up on your normal hourly rate seems to say you'd save money by not picking it up. Leave the next one for the floor sweeper.

Reaction Score
Just think that penny is worth 1/20 of it's value in 1960. Which mean's it worth point 5 mills or less. The energy expended to pick it up on your normal hourly rate seems to say you'd save money by not picking it up. Leave the next one for the floor sweeper.

The positive effects of energy expenditure and musculoskeletal stimulation from picking the penny up will compound the return!

Reaction Score
What is a penny? :confused:

Husky Nan is using Judy Dench's image. Dench is famous for acting as Jean Hardcastle in As Time Goes By. Penny Johnson is Jean's nosey Parker sister-in-law.

Reaction Score
The positive effects of energy expenditure and musculoskeletal stimulation from picking the penny up will compound the return!
That infers one may bend that far without falling over ---remember Energy cannot either be created or destroyed. If true, what's the point of expending unnecessary energy?
My musculature only has so many bend left.
Thanks @jaundicedeye for the "out" (last sentence from above)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm glad we are rid of all those silly OT threads started by what's his name. :rolleyes:

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Back when I was a youngster, if we had a penny and we were near the train tracks when a freight train was coming, we would sacrifice the candy that penny would have bought and put the penny on the track for the train to squish. Nothing cooler than having that squished oval piece of copper to show around the playground. Note: I stopped the practice when one day after placing the penny on the track a railroad worker (his job was to hold a stop sign at an un-signaled intersection) told me I was committing a federal offense and could go to jail.

Hey, I was 8 years old and impressionable. Anyway, that's the only penny story I have.

Reaction Score
When I was a kid there were still a few things you could buy with a penny -
12 minutes on a parking meter, a gum ball or shallow palmful of stale spanish
peanuts from one of those machines, or maybe a small blob of candy on a
piece of wax paper.

Today I'm hard pressed to think of anything you can buy with a dime.

Why do we mint coins that you can't buy anything with?

The only reason to MINT coins is make the flavorful. Have you tried eaten one that wasn't minted??

Reaction Score
I'm glad we are rid of all those silly OT threads started by what's his name. :rolleyes:
Dang-Rocky! I don't always start SILLY threads some are just incomprehensible, there is a difference you know!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom