ISU's Guide to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
scroll to the bottom.

lol, almost posted the same thing.

I love interstate D*ck measuring contests. If you could quantify self worth, I'm sure Connecticut would be in the top 5. Of course, you can quantify worth, and Connecticut probably is in the top 5 in terms of income, per capita income, etc. I'm actually starting to do some research for a term paper involving the correlation of state level GDP and many different variables including median income, graduation rates, etc. If you want to hang around for 3 months, I can settle this debate once and for all :D

Reaction Score
lol, almost posted the same thing.

I love interstate D*ck measuring contests. If you could quantify self worth, I'm sure Connecticut would be in the top 5. Of course, you can quantify worth, and Connecticut probably is in the top 5 in terms of income, per capita income, etc. I'm actually starting to do some research for a term paper involving the correlation of state level GDP and many different variables including median income, graduation rates, etc. If you want to hang around for 3 months, I can settle this debate once and for all :D

You have 2 days ... although I guess we have a bye week after UConn.

Reaction Score
scroll to the bottom.

If you were on top of things you would have realized i posted the IQ scores from the bottom of the page. So I guess I must have already scrolled down.

I happen to like the rankings at the top of the page.

Reaction Score
Nowass- why some guys pants fall down if they don't wear a belt. (according to she who must be obeyed)

Reaction Score
Part of the goal/intended humor was to play off stereotypes and be intentionally inaccurate. This wasn't a serious attempt at understanding Connecticut.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to milk a pig, and attend my local caucus.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
"wonder why he never talked about average incomes, average net worth, average IQ rankings , average SAT rankings yada yada yada"

Average IQ (2004): Iowa #8, Connecticut #9
Average SAT (2010) Iowa: 599 Connecticut: 512
Median Household Income (2010) adjusted for COL: Connecticut: $65,000, Iowa: $63,000

http://professionals.collegeboard.com/data-reports-research/sat/cb-seniors-2010/tables
http://www.top50states.com/average-iq-score.html
http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/savings/moving-cost-of-living-calculator.aspx
http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/income/data/statemedian/index.html

I couldnt find anything on average sense of self worth, but I'm guessing Willies is quite high

average income CT 3 in 2009, about as low as we drop, IA 26 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_income
http://theos.in/world/richest-state-in-united-states-america/

average IQ: CT 3 in 2006 (most recent I could find) IA 9 (not bad)
http://www.top50states.com/average-iq-score.html

average IQ II: CT 1 in 2004 & 2000 according to this link, IA 20 & 6 respectively

http://www.google.com/search?q=average iq by state&hl=en&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ZQZyTtG8NoWqsQLTt7TLCQ&ved=0CCcQsAQ&biw=1012&bih=616

average SAT: IA was 1 in 2010, but with a participation rate of only 3%. CT was 31, with a participation rate of 84%. I'm thinking if only the top 3% of students in CT were counted, that ranking would skyrocket
http://www.commonwealthfoundation.org/policyblog/detail/2010-sat-scores-by-state

average net worth: CT is in the top tier with 4 other states (141,000 to 166,000 avg). IA is in the third tier (90,000 to 116,000 avg)
http://www.stdbmaps1.com/National Maps/US Map 2010 Median Net Worth by State.pdf

any questions?

PS: I really didn't want to do this, but I was called out. I think IA is a great state, and wish you well

sooie

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If I were going to spoof Connecticut I'd probably mention wine sipping, Volvo driving, LL Bean wearing soccer parents with a liberal political bent (altho we love Jodie) and a Crackberry addiction.

Reaction Score
sooie

you have to take COL into account with income, net worth, etc. and Connecticut is 26% more expensive which means that our $50k is roughly equivalent to your $65k.

:) and on the SAT thing ... you're the one that brought it up. In the Midwest we use the ACT almost exclusively, except in the case where its necessary to get in to an Ivy League school or something like that. so the 3% are probably our best and brightest ... but I was just answering your question on our SAT scores.

the IQ scores seem pretty shadey, from what I gather there just are not a lot of trusted methods of determining regional IQ. I mean who even takes IQ tests? It's not something I've ever heard of being offered .. unless its a composite of standardized testing or some like that... maybe its a bad sign if they've never had me take one. :(

Reaction Score
If I were going to spoof Connecticut I'd probably mention wine sipping, Volvo driving, LL Bean wearing soccer parents with a liberal political bent (altho we love Jodie) and a Crackberry addiction.

to be honest, to the average Midwesterner the entire region of Maine/Conn/Vermont/New Hamp/Rhode/Maryland/Delware ... is pretty much the same thing. Boston R's, old money & sailboating with a sweater around your shoulders.

New York is New York
and New Jersey is assumed to be full of mob hits and MTV cameras following guidos around.

I don't mean it to be insulting, I mean really there isn't much distiguishing Iowa/Minn/the Dakotas/Kansas/Missouri/Wisconsin/non-Chicago-Illinois from each other either. Locally you see them, but stepping back its pretty much the same place to outsiders.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
to be honest, to the average Midwesterner the entire region of Maine/Conn/Vermont/New Hamp/Rhode/Maryland/Delware ... is pretty much the same thing. Boston R's, old money & sailboating with a sweater around your shoulders.

I was fortunate to visit St. Louis this past spring and there was a very different vibe there than back East. The outgoing friendliness of Midwest cities just isn't found in Eastern cities. However, no matter what state you're in, my experience is that most people are "just folks" once you get out of the hustle and bustle of the city. Some just talk funnier than others :)

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
During my trip to Ann Arbor for the UConn Michigan game, I found the friendliness of people everywhere to be a bit much for me. I don't know you, you don't know me, we don't need to act like best buddies out of politeness. I'm not saying people should be jerks to each other but it felt like people went out of their way to put on their happy face and be very friendly. Definitely a different vibe out there.

I do agree with Nan though in regards to the general person being the same regardless of region once you get them in a more homey setting.

Reaction Score
I was fortunate to visit St. Louis this past spring and there was a very different vibe there than back East. The outgoing friendliness of Midwest cities just isn't found in Eastern cities. However, no matter what state you're in, my experience is that most people are "just folks" once you get out of the hustle and bustle of the city. Some just talk funnier than others :)

ha! and we think of St Louis as a crime-ridden dangerous place. I do agree with the sentiment though, my little brother rode a bicycle from Omaha to Boston one summer without a place to stay or much of a plan when he was a crazy college kid. His idea was to camp every night, but he met enough great people along the way that he usually ended up with supper, a place to crash and a breakfast sendoff the next morning. it really is a 99% great country out there.

mets1090 said:
Definitely a different vibe out there.
I've heard that before, the farmer wave gets people alot too - pretty much anyone you pass out in the country will give you the 2 finger wave from the steering wheel. I catch myself doing it ... force of habit.

most people are just friendly, expect Hawkeye fans - they really are a**holes. (whats the filter rule on here? filter your own?)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
ha! and we think of St Louis as a crime-ridden dangerous place.

Most people are just friendly, expect Hawkeye fans - they really are a**holes. (whats the filter rule on here? filter your own?)

We were out there for a robotics competition in the Edward Jones Dome and stayed in a hotel across the street. We walked down to the Arch, over to Old Town and up past the Dome about 6 blocks - a small touristy area. Never felt in any danger whatsoever, although I do know the stats that St. Louis can be a dangerous place.

We have a filter, let's see what it does to balloon knot. (a**hole).

Reaction Score
most people are just friendly, expect Hawkeye fans - they really are a**holes. (whats the filter rule on here? filter your own?)
Except Joe D doesn't know the difference between Hawkeyes and Cyclones for at least 1/2 a game+, and Iowa City's a much more interesting college town to smallish city than Ames. ;)

Reaction Score
I question the part about Connecticut accents though. I've never heard that before. What exactly is a Connecticut accent? Is it like a hybrid NY/Boston accent?

The only accent in Central CT that I know of is when some people add the "r" to "idea" ... as in : "I've got an idear" ...

Reaction Score
The only accent in Central CT that I know of is when some people add the "r" to "idea" ... as in : "I've got an idear" ...
That's Rhode Island.

Native connecticonians don't pronounce our "t's" if they are at the end of a word.

Reaction Score

as well as the preppy kids wearing birkenstocks during a typical February snowstorm.

I'd also spoof the fact the whole state is basically a suburb of either boston or nyc depending on which side of the river you live.

i thought it was humorous, nothing to get upset about.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Native connecticonians

We are Nutmeggers. Connecticut and Massachusetts (Bay Staters) are the only two states that don't add a suffix on our state.

Reaction Score
We are Nutmeggers. Connecticut and Massachusetts (Bay Staters) are the only two states that don't add a suffix on our state.

Bay Staters? I thought they were Massholes.

Reaction Score
I think you're confusing them with UMassholes.

Don't discriminate against BCU Nan. They are a different type of Massholes, but still very much Massholes.

Reaction Score
that's one thing the History channel taught me - "Massholes" was pretty much a 15 minute segment on how Maine got its shape.

and people really call you Nutmeggers or Bay Staters? or is that just what some crazy historian claims it should be? Like if I look up a famous person from Connecticut it will say "Nutmegger John Doe etc etc" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom