ISU's Guide to UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ISU's Guide to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's Rhode Island.

Native connecticonians don't pronounce our "t's" if they are at the end of a word.

Dunno, my dad grew up in New Britain and adds an r to idea all the time, though at this point it might just be to piss me off...

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
No, New Bri-in drops random letters. :)

Hard hittin' New Bri-in.

Reaction Score
people really call you Nutmeggers or Bay Staters? or is that just what some crazy historian claims it should be? Like if I look up a famous person from Connecticut it will say "Nutmegger John Doe etc etc" ?
Technically yes, but it's not common.

Reaction Score
Part of the goal/intended humor was to play off stereotypes and be intentionally inaccurate. This wasn't a serious attempt at understanding Connecticut.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to milk a pig, and attend my local caucus.

Nice one.

Here is a ConneCticutter's guide to Iowa State:

Cornfield.jpg

What are your questions?

Reaction Score
During my trip to Ann Arbor for the UConn Michigan game, I found the friendliness of people everywhere to be a bit much for me. I don't know you, you don't know me, we don't need to act like best buddies out of politeness. I'm not saying people should be jerks to each other but it felt like people went out of their way to put on their happy face and be very friendly. Definitely a different vibe out there.

I do agree with Nan though in regards to the general person being the same regardless of region once you get them in a more homey setting.

That's the Midwest. If you go to rural parts of the Rocky Mountain states people act like that there as well. When I moved from Virginia to Wisconsin, I was pretty shocked by the "niceness". But you get used to it. People still stop to help other people change tires. Pick up hitchhikers. We used to work ungodly hours training Reservists going to Iraq so we would eat dinner late at night at greasy spoons in uniform. Truck drivers who made less money than us would pay for our dinner and leave before we ever had a chance to thank them.

Honestly, I think people on the east and west coast should spend a couple weeks in the flyover states to be reminded that there is another way to be. But that's just me.

Reaction Score
I'm originally from California and I can vouch for that kind of attitude there as well. Basically the entire northeast would rather step on your face than say hello, really. It's just the way people here grew up. mets1090 pretty much hit it on the head. It's not that everyone is a jerk, rather they just don't know you and seem to think it's unnerving when someone random is nice to them. It gets exhausting as an outsider, but I'm going to continue to smile and say hey how are ya to even random people in line at the grocery store. Hopefully mets1090 doesn't shank me or something for it!

Reaction Score
I spent some time in the midwest years ago. When people say "hi, how ya doing?" They actually want to know how you're doing. In the northeast when someone says that (if they say it), they're usually 3 steps past you by the time they finish the sentence, and getting further and further away.

As for me, I just give the nod and a "ssup".

Reaction Score
Agree on the small pox and CT f''n love lobsters with the sexy bikini babe was OK... rest was... yawn

Reaction Score
That's the Midwest. If you go to rural parts of the Rocky Mountain states people act like that there as well. When I moved from Virginia to Wisconsin, I was pretty shocked by the "niceness". But you get used to it. People still stop to help other people change tires. Pick up hitchhikers. We used to work ungodly hours training Reservists going to Iraq so we would eat dinner late at night at greasy spoons in uniform. Truck drivers who made less money than us would pay for our dinner and leave before we ever had a chance to thank them.

Honestly, I think people on the east and west coast should spend a couple weeks in the flyover states to be reminded that there is another way to be. But that's just me.

When I went to the final four in San Antonio in 2004 I was taken aback by the niceness of the people there. Dook fans were still though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom