Is UConn the #2 now? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is UConn the #2 now?

Reaction Score
As I noted earlier:

Beware ND:

They still have all the horses.

MSF
Horses that we match up very well with. Their guards aren’t overly quick. They are fast in transition but we might even be faster. They have good low post players but no one we can’t handle. However, I’m with you. If we don’t see them on our way to #12, I wouldn’t be disappointed.

Reaction Score
I don’t know why anyone here would want UConn to be #1. They are better as the hunters than they hunted this year.

And for my money I still say UConn is #4.

I don’t know how you can drop Oregon after losing to a top 10 hated rival on the road.

and losing without their second most important player out with an injury....................speaking of which, if Hebbard is out for a prolonged period of time, sadly that may seriously impact Oregon's NC chances going forward.......

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I had to do a double take that Rocky was ACTUALLY POSTING THIS. Top 10 vs. Top 6? And I am completely lost on the “dog snare” comment. NEVER, EVER show weakness or hubris as a UConn WCBB fan! I might have to the cyber security team see if your ID has been compromised by an imposter...:eek:

Just feeding the MoJO God a little more subtly than :eek: Doomed, do you hear, doomed. Might as well be the Donner Party!

1550590617696.png

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Oregon lost to Oregon St last night and LVille lost the other day moving UConn to number 3 in the polls. Does the Oregon loss move UConn to number 2? I think so. UConn is not invincible this season but they are better then theyve been playing. You know what? UConn hasnt had consistent scoring from all 5 positions very often. We got and idea over the past few games when UConn averaged over 105 pts a game. UConn seemed to put it together. The UCF game KLS didnt score from the floor and she was beat up but she did score 12 pts all from the line. The point is UConn is finding ways to win. Collier is playing at another level. Part of the better scoring has to do with the way UConn is running their offense. There is much improvement in this team. Its not all about scoring. The improvement and playing better is about how you execute and thats what UConn is doing. The non starters are beginning to come around. ONO and CW are key in our quest for another NC. Both are looking better as of late. As good as so many teams are this season UConn imo is still the team to beat.
#2 overall means no Baylor until the Championship game. Hopefully, it puts Notre Dame on the other side as well, as #4 or #5. Goodness, IMO

However, those two losses to Louiville and Baylor, regardless of where played, are disturbing. We are inclined to see anomalies in games we lose, while ignoring them same in games we win (CW vs. ND, and CD vs. Baylor 2 years ago) the coaching staff was unable to make corrections, and the team was unable to rise to the occasion. We are attaching our hopes to favorable locations (Albany) and matchups. I'm still not optimistic.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
#2 overall means no Baylor until the Championship game. Hopefully, it puts Notre Dame on the other side as well, as #4 or #5. Goodness, IMO

However, those two losses to Louiville and Baylor, regardless of where played, are disturbing. We are inclined to see anomalies in games we lose, while ignoring them same in games we win (CW vs. ND, and CD vs. Baylor 2 years ago) the coaching staff was unable to make corrections, and the team was unable to rise to the occasion. We are attaching our hopes to favorable locations (Albany) and matchups. I'm still not optimistic.

It seems I may have almost an opposite view as you, though maybe I am just misinterpreting. I understand the sentiment that no loss is a good one but, in reality, there is more potential to learn something needs to be fixed from a loss than a win, at least for a particular opponent. There is also a little extra motivation, should there be a rematch.

Notre Dame, on paper, is the best team in the field, but they remind me of the 2001 UConn team. Without injuries, addition by subtraction, both Notre Dame 19 and UConn 01 have/had chemistry issues. To me this was symbolized in the handshake line when AO dissed Auriemma, to be followed by Shepherd making amends. Also, there is danger when one player (Young) is recognized by everyone, including fans and WNBA scouts, as the straw that stirs the drink but another player is treated by the media as such. Notre Dame has not been able to play to its potential throughout a whole season, I do not believe they will be able to play up to their potential for all six games of the NCAA tournament.

However, I do think they can and will play up to their potential if they match up with UConn again. The only thing I wish for in the bracketology is for Notre Dame not to be in the same region as UConn. If they end up in a different region, chances are UConn will never have to play them. Meanwhile, I like UConn's chances against the rest of the field, either because they have not played recently (Oregon), or they have and I think UConn has gained more from their previous meeting (Baylor and Louisville).

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
It seems to me that UConn is just as likely to drop down as move up in the rankings/seedings. For example, if both UConn and Louisville win out, won't the Cardinals, with two losses just like the Huskies and a head-to-head advantage, jump ahead of UConn by virtue of quality wins against teams such as Notre Dame and/or Miami in the ACC Tournament?

Of course, teams such as Louisville, Notre Dame, Oregon and even Baylor probably have a greater chance of losing another game before the NCAA Tournament than UConn does so almost any scenario seems possible.

How's that for straddling the fence?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It seems to me that UConn is just as likely to drop down as move up in the rankings/seedings. For example, if both UConn and Louisville win out, won't the Cardinals, with two losses just like the Huskies and a head-to-head advantage, jump ahead of UConn by virtue of quality wins against teams such as Notre Dame and/or Miami in the ACC Tournament?

Of course, teams such as Louisville, Notre Dame, Oregon and even Baylor probably have a greater chance of losing another game before the NCAA Tournament than UConn does so almost any scenario seems possible.

How's that for straddling the fence?
One more loss among the top teams is a certainty. Either Louisville or ND will lose in the ACC tournament.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Megan has been mostly solid for UConn this year, and she’s really upped her 3-pt shooting to now lead the team at 42%. If there is one area where I would like to see Megan improve, it would be to reduce the number of mental errors she commits. She’s usually good for 3-4 careless passes or defensive breakdowns each game. If she gets that down to 1-2, I’m fine with her play this year.

Next year is another story. After Lou & Pheesa graduate, Megan will need to consistently play great each and every game.
I may not be right but I ( I'm never wrong) believe Megan is biding her time and just trying to be a good complimentary player right now. Either in the NCAA's or next season, I believe she will start to take over games the way I believe she is capable of doing.

Reaction Score
FWIW... back to the question addressed in the title of the thread... Massey has UCONN as #2 today, with Baylor still #1... not that it will play out that way in seedings or the polls. :cool:;)

Reaction Score
Yes, she is one of the better players, like 4th best player, as the stats show. As a sophomore with 2 AA’s and a soon to be AA as upperclassmen on her team, you’ve lost me on what you point is. Where do you think she should rank?
I personally think she should be a go-to type player. I guess it’s just my love for wings and their do it all type of play. They can shoot, rebound, bring the ball up the court, isolate, take over a game. You might think I’m out of my mind to believe that she can be the best player on the floor, but thats just my opinion and I believe she’s not playing to her full potential. As far as being an underclassmen, great players don’t have to wait around for upperclassmen. By the way, I’m not bashing her at all, she’s my favorite player on the team this year. I just think she could do more.

Reaction Score
Megan has been mostly solid for UConn this year, and she’s really upped her 3-pt shooting to now lead the team at 42%. If there is one area where I would like to see Megan improve, it would be to reduce the number of mental errors she commits. She’s usually good for 3-4 careless passes or defensive breakdowns each game. If she gets that down to 1-2, I’m fine with her play this year.

Next year is another story. After Lou & Pheesa graduate, Megan will need to consistently play great each and every game.
Agree that Megan has been solid and would add she has been one of the key scorers at important times in both the UCF and South Carolina games. I sometimes forget that she is playing out of position at power forward. Wonder if her stats would be different if she had 1-2 solid bigs as teammates. With ONO plus a transfer/international addition next year, we may see.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Agree that Megan has been solid and would add she has been one of the key scorers at important times in both the UCF and South Carolina games. I sometimes forget that she is playing out of position at power forward. Wonder if her stats would be different if she had 1-2 solid bigs as teammates. With ONO plus a transfer/international addition next year, we may see.
Yes, Megan should be a wing in college. Unfortunately, she is playing the Gabby Williams forward spot.

Reaction Score
I guess I’m the only one that thinks Megan is doing as well as could possibly be expected. Slow, not great handles, below average finisher & passer but her numbers have been good! We can’t expect much more from her.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
One more loss among the top teams is a certainty. Either Louisville or ND will lose in the ACC tournament.
Yes, of course. I imagine UConn would profit more from a Louisville loss.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If I recall, in the harrowing trip to find help, most of the Donner (9 of 11) men died but none of the (5) women.

Yeah, the women were excluded from the short straw be eaten thingie.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don’t know why anyone here would want UConn to be #1. They are better as the hunters than they hunted this year.

And for my money I still say UConn is #4.

I don’t know how you can drop Oregon after losing to a top 10 hated rival on the road.
But no one had trouble dropping Uconn after losing to two top 5 hated rivals on the road earlier.

It is the nature of rankings at the top end of the pack. None of the top 6 teams play that many games they should lose or even be very challenged in so the results of those few games take on much larger significance. When was the last time a Uconn team lost to a team outside the top 5? Probably Stanford back in 2014. When has any of the other top 10 teams lost to a team outside the top 10 - this year! (Baylor technically last calendar year.)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I guess I’m the only one that thinks Megan is doing as well as could possibly be expected. Slow, not great handles, below average finisher & passer but her numbers have been good! We can’t expect much more from her.

Apparently you are not alone. There are 2 of you. :oops:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
But no one had trouble dropping Uconn after losing to two top 5 hated rivals on the road earlier.

It is the nature of rankings at the top end of the pack. None of the top 6 teams play that many games they should lose or even be very challenged in so the results of those few games take on much larger significance. When was the last time a Uconn team lost to a team outside the top 5? Probably Stanford back in 2014. When has any of the other top 10 teams lost to a team outside the top 10 - this year! (Baylor technically last calendar year.)

The AAC effect?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Rating IMO at this point are only great for bragging rights. The real ranking begins in the NCAA NC run. Then, according to past Geno's words, the luck of the draw has much to do with winning the FF or the NC so those last 6 games ranking is important----not much else.
This year more than most--Uconn is vulnerable in nearly any game but I'm riding the SC game high to the end.

I loved the snarky Geno walking away from Lobo when she asked him about how he felt when she knew his position very well. She new it would make good theater. You, Geno and I are on the same page.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

You can't compare UConn baylor.. Or UConn Louisville to the Civil War. That's a blood rival. :cool:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When was the last time a Uconn team lost to a team outside the top 5? Probably Stanford back in 2014. When has any of the other top 10 teams lost to a team outside the top 10 - this year! (Baylor technically last calendar year.)
In answer to your question. Stanford was the last team outside the top 5 that UConn lost to in 2014. Specifically, the Cardinal were #6.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom