Is UConn the #2 now? | The Boneyard

Is UConn the #2 now?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Oregon lost to Oregon St last night and LVille lost the other day moving UConn to number 3 in the polls. Does the Oregon loss move UConn to number 2? I think so. UConn is not invincible this season but they are better then theyve been playing. You know what? UConn hasnt had consistent scoring from all 5 positions very often. We got and idea over the past few games when UConn averaged over 105 pts a game. UConn seemed to put it together. The UCF game KLS didnt score from the floor and she was beat up but she did score 12 pts all from the line. The point is UConn is finding ways to win. Collier is playing at another level. Part of the better scoring has to do with the way UConn is running their offense. There is much improvement in this team. Its not all about scoring. The improvement and playing better is about how you execute and thats what UConn is doing. The non starters are beginning to come around. ONO and CW are key in our quest for another NC. Both are looking better as of late. As good as so many teams are this season UConn imo is still the team to beat.

Reaction Score
Oregon lost to Oregon St last night and LVille lost the other day moving UConn to number 3 in the polls. Does the Oregon loss move UConn to number 2? I think so. UConn is not invincible this season but they are better then theyve been playing. You know what? UConn hasnt had consistent scoring from all 5 positions very often. We got and idea over the past few games when UConn averaged over 105 pts a game. UConn seemed to put it together. The UCF game KLS didnt score from the floor and she was beat up but she did score 12 pts all from the line. The point is UConn is finding ways to win. Collier is playing at another level. Part of the better scoring has to do with the way UConn is running their offense. There is much improvement in this team. Its not all about scoring. The improvement and playing better is about how you execute and thats what UConn is doing. The non starters are beginning to come around. ONO and CW are key in our quest for another NC. Both are looking better as of late. As good as so many teams are this season UConn imo is still the team to beat.
Tonyc with coffee in the morning! Ono's getting more minutes, and coming along. And, despite what Geno says, importantly, the defense has gotten better. Its UCONN basketball, and March is around the corner :cool:!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Period! Now the only thing we’re waiting on is a Baylor loss!

As mentioned before, UConn and Baylor have the easiest paths to the end of the season. I would love for Baylor to loose another game but I don't see any team in the Big 12 doing it.

As to UConn moving up to #2, who knows. The coaches poll comes out today so we may see some movement. UConn is 34 points behind Oregon in the AP (writers) poll as of yesterday. Last week UConn was 39 points behind Oregon in the coaches poll. I expect the point differential to decrease significantly today.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As mentioned before, UConn and Baylor have the easiest paths to the end of the season. I would love for Baylor to loose another game but I don't see any team in the Big 12 doing it.

As to UConn moving up to #2, who knows. The coaches poll comes out today so we may see some movement. UConn is 34 points behind Oregon in the AP (writers) poll as of yesterday. Last week UConn was 39 points behind Oregon in the coaches poll. I expect the point differential to decrease significantly today.
While I tend to agree that Baylor should run the table against a relatively weak Big12 schedule, the Lady Bears do have one game coming up on the road against a pretty good Iowa St team. If Baylor isn’t focused for that game, something that’s been known to happen to Kim’s teams, there’s a possibility that the Cyclones might just trip them up.

Reaction Score
Don’t hold your breath. I looked at their remaining schedule. A loss does not seem likely. Baylor will probably go into the tournament as the overall #1 seed.
They always have a least one game where they should win, but they lose during conference play or big 12 tourney. West Virginia, Texas, or Iowa State could beat them like West Virginia did in 16-17 season on Tynice Martin heroics.

Reaction Score
Hopefully these past 2 weeks have showed some folks on this board that losing to a top ranked team on their court happens to everyone. More importantly than the loses by other top teams recently is that our team is playing better, MW and CW are improving and the offense looked better of late in terms of moving the ball and playing against a physical team. If KLS can fully break out of her shooting woes then I feel pretty good about our chances. Hopefully the trending of improvement and chemistry continue into March.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
They always have a least one game where they should win, but they lose during conference play or big 12 tourney. West Virginia, Texas, or Iowa State could beat them like West Virginia did in 16-17 season on Tynice Martin heroics.

Baylor has had difficulty getting to the FF the past few years. Losing to teams they were projected to beat. I’d love to see Baylor lose during the 2nd week of the tournament. Hopefully they run into that ol' bugaboo, a killjoy "dark horse". That would be one less 1 seed on UConn’s path to the crown. Let’s hope that game comes in the last week in March. :D

Disclaimer - I don't dislike Baylor. I have all the respect in the world for them. We played them once and didn't fair well at all. No need to revisit or reopen old wounds. We didn't match up with them then, we don't now. Nothing has changed.

I'd like to think if their paths crossed again, the Huskies would prevail on a neutral court. It's assumed that UConn (who was coming off their 11 day Christmas break), would shoot better the second time around than the 29.4% FG% they did on Jan 3. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
While I tend to agree that Baylor should run the table against a relatively weak Big12 schedule, the Lady Bears do have one game coming up on the road against a pretty good Iowa St team. If Baylor isn’t focused for that game, something that’s been known to happen to Kim’s teams, there’s a possibility that the Cyclones might just trip them up.

I agree Kim's team have a habit of loosing focus at the most inopportune moments. Tht loss may come in the tournament which would be fine with me.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Hopefully these past 2 weeks have showed some folks on this board that losing to a top ranked team on their court happens to everyone. More importantly than the loses by other top teams recently is that our team is playing better, MW and CW are improving and the offense looked better of late in terms of moving the ball and playing against a physical team. If KLS can fully break out of her shooting woes then I feel pretty good about our chances. Hopefully the trending of improvement and chemistry continue into March.

Lou will be fine. I expect her to return to form against Memphis. She won’t have to deal with any “Edward Sissorhands” on that team. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I agree Megan and Christyn are both playing better, I just wish Megan Walker would play a little more better, I might alone on this, but I personally think she’s one of the best players on this team she just hasn’t reached her full potential yet. That may not come until next year, but I’ll take what’s she given lately especially the three point shooting.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’d love to see Baylor lose during the 2nd week of the tournament. That would be one less 1 seed on UConn’s path to the crown. Let’s hope that one game comes in late March.
Yes, now that I think about it, I want Baylor to roll through the rest of their conference schedule, along with the 1st two rounds of the Big Dance, get overconfident and get knocked off by someone like Marquette in the Regionals.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I've never cared much for getting into talking seedings; I'm not that smart. But talking about top 10 seedings in a year of tumult at the top is fun I must admit. It's really, really fun for a Husky fan right now, but a dog snare may just be lying at center court in our next away game.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I agree Megan and Christyn are both playing better, I just wish Megan Walker would play a little more better, I might alone on this, but I personally think she’s one of the best players on this team she just hasn’t reached her full potential yet. That may not come until next year, but I’ll take what’s she given lately especially the three point shooting.
Yes, she is one of the better players, like 4th best player, as the stats show. As a sophomore with 2 AA’s and a soon to be AA as upperclassmen on her team, you’ve lost me on what you point is. Where do you think she should rank?

Reaction Score

While you are correct : "losing on your home court happens to everyone". It is unthinkable for Uconn fans.
If you have followed Geno for 30 years you will know that (USUALLY) he tends to try to get his teams to PEAK in performance during the 6 NCAA games. This is when they (USUALLY) play their best defense and offense. Geno is OBVIOUSLY the master of winning in the Tournament. With kids who have been there and know what it takes to win. Only a fool (like me) would worry that Geno won't win it all.

Reaction Score
I've never cared much for getting into talking seedings; I'm not that smart. But talking about top 10 seedings in a year of tumult at the top is fun I must admit. It's really, really fun for a Husky fan right now, but a dog snare may just be lining at center court in our next away game.

Rating IMO at this point are only great for bragging rights. The real ranking begins in the NCAA NC run. Then, according to past Geno's words, the luck of the draw has much to do with winning the FF or the NC so those last 6 games ranking is important----not much else.
This year more than most--Uconn is vulnerable in nearly any game but I'm riding the SC game high to the end.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, she is one of the better players, like 4th best player, as the stats show. As a sophomore with 2 AA’s and a soon to be AA as upperclassmen on her team, you’ve lost me on what you point is. Where do you think she should rank?
Megan has been mostly solid for UConn this year, and she’s really upped her 3-pt shooting to now lead the team at 42%. If there is one area where I would like to see Megan improve, it would be to reduce the number of mental errors she commits. She’s usually good for 3-4 careless passes or defensive breakdowns each game. If she gets that down to 1-2, I’m fine with her play this year.

Next year is another story. After Lou & Pheesa graduate, Megan will need to consistently play great each and every game.

Reaction Score
Love you Tony - “...UConn is finding ways to win.”

This is our AAC schedule. In a game where Lou went “0 for” from the floor and we were held to under 80 we dug down deep and found a way to win - by 37 points.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I've never cared much for getting into talking seedings; I'm not that smart. But talking about top 10 seedings in a year of tumult at the top is fun I must admit. It's really, really fun for a Husky fan right now, but a dog snare may just be lining at center court in our next away game.

I had to do a double take that Rocky was ACTUALLY POSTING THIS. Top 10 vs. Top 6? And I am completely lost on the “dog snare” comment. NEVER, EVER show weakness or hubris as a UConn WCBB fan! I might have to the cyber security team see if your ID has been compromised by an imposter...:eek:

Reaction Score
I don’t know why anyone here would want UConn to be #1. They are better as the hunters than they hunted this year.

And for my money I still say UConn is #4.

I don’t know how you can drop Oregon after losing to a top 10 hated rival on the road.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don’t know why anyone here would want UConn to be #1. They are better as the hunters than they hunted this year.

And for my money I still say UConn is #4.

I don’t know how you can drop Oregon after losing to a top 10 hated rival on the road.
I think Geno probably agrees with you on seeding. But on Oregon’s loss to OSU, how is that very much different than UConn losing to 2 top-5 teams on the road?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom