Is UConn the #2 now? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Is UConn the #2 now?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Megan has been mostly solid for UConn this year, and she’s really upped her 3-pt shooting to now lead the team at 42%. If there is one area where I would like to see Megan improve, it would be to reduce the number of mental errors she commits. She’s usually good for 3-4 careless passes or defensive breakdowns each game. If she gets that down to 1-2, I’m fine with her play this year.

Next year is another story. After Lou & Pheesa graduate, Megan will need to consistently play great each and every game.

When Collier leaves after this year, she's going to leave a pair of "her best game shoes" behind that Walker will be expected to wear (fill). This year, Collier and Samuelson are doing most of the heavy lifting. Next year, that task falls to Megan and possibly Williams.

Right now, most of the plays go to Collier and Samuelson. It would be interesting to find out exactly how much latitude Walker has during a game with respect to taking shots. For the next two years, she will have a "bright" (LED) green light from Geno, like Pheesa, Chrystal and Samuelson do now. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
We need a great recruiting season for 2020 and 2021..Next year (depending on transfers or european players uconn gets), will be important in the development of Walker as a player. I wish her the best really. I cant help but to think of Charde Houston though.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Tweet from Kelsey Plum after the OSU vs UO Game:

Kelsey Plum
@Kelseyplum10

Oregon St, always hardest team for me to score against personally.... run you off the 3 pt line, protect the Rim, no transition and don’t foul, make you beat them with mid range 2s... very tough to beat. COACH SCOTT is an OG, congrats on the Dub
10:32 PM - Feb 18, 2019

Yes Kelsey, because like Sabrina, your team was built around feeding you so you didn't cope, just like SI didn't cope. PS. And you were slow and still are. You are a very good shooter when not under pressure and ... well, nevermind. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
When Collier leaves after this year, she's going to leave a pair of "her best game shoes" behind that Walker will be expected to wear (fill). This year, Collier and Samuelson are doing most of the heavy lifting. Next year, that task falls to Megan and possibly Williams.

Right now, most of the plays go to Collier and Samuelson. It would be interesting to find out exactly how much latitude Walker has during a game with respect to taking shots. For the next two years, she will have a "bright" green light from Geno, like Pheesa, Chrystal and Samuelson do now. ;)
To counter this, Walker is primarily the player left open this year. Baylor dated her to beat them, and she hit shots at the beginning. What is she going to do when she becomes the focus on defense? She doesn't have the length, moves, or fundamentals that Pheesa has to dominate in the of paint. I think she'll have a good career, but not an AA one

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Considering how UConn trailed Oklahoma by double digits in the 2nd half, and struggled to put away Cal and St. John's ... this is one year I might hesitate to badmouth other conferences.
I am really not bad mouthing any of the P5, I am just pointing out that teams vying for number 1 and number two seeds should not be losing to flawed teams outside the top 10. People say the AAC is a cake walk, and it has proven to be for Uconn since its inception, but even recognizing that most P5 teams are better than most AAC teams does not mean that MsSt, Baylor, Maryland/Iowa or whoever in the Big10 and Oregon in the Pac12 if they are claiming to be a #1 seed, should be losing games to teams in or out of conference that are outside the top ten.

The only conference that boast ligit competition for a top seed this year is the ACC with four teams that are seriously contending for their championship with Miami now playing as well as the three that are currently atop the standings.

NB I would not be surprised if MsSt, ND, Louisville, and Oregon all lost their conference tournaments. Maybe this is parity, but it also looks sort of like mediocrity. And honestly who is going to win the Big10?

Reaction Score
100% agree!!!! It looks like she has been broken down and has yet to climb her way out of it. I hardly ever see her smiling on the court.
Finally someone agrees with me on her. I just think she’s better than what she’s playing like. That’s not an insult, I just know talent when I see it. The drive the length of the court to pull up mid-range, the Euro-move, the alley oop, the turn jump shot before the double team; she just hasn’t done these things at UConn yet. Everything she does is within the offense. She wasn’t rated the #1 player for no reason, the girl is talented. I still have a lot of hope and faith that she will turn around almost every #1 recruit has been really good other than Mercedez Russell as far I can remember. And Gabby Williams didn’t get many minutes her first two years and was an all-American her third year so I’m confident she will eventually come out of it.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I enjoy the Pac12 schedule with the pairs of teams traveling each week and while it is still an imbalanced schedule it is better than the other leagues - too bad this year that the Oregon schools and the Bay Area schools are not playing home and home but nothing is perfect with the conference expansions. The ACC this year is unfortunate as only one of the ranked teams play each other twice ND plays BC and GT twice, Louisville plays UVA and Pitt twice, NCSt plays UNC and Wake, Miami plays VT and FSU, Syr plays Pitt and BC, and FSU plays Clemson and Miami. Pretty amazing that the schedule makes achieve almost perfect imbalance.

The old big east which was a large conference fairly consistently doubled up teams based on their competitiveness leading to Muffet's consistent complaints about ending up playing Uconn consistently three times prior to the NCAAs. Rutgers was also not happy! (And neither honestly was Uconn.)

Next year the ACC will go to 18 regular season games for WCBB..... 20 for the men. It will be interesting to see how the league does the pairings. I recall the first year that ND joined the league... 2013-14. Duke got the short end of the stick as we played undefeated ND twice... and another top 12 team that shall not be named... twice as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom