Is UConn on the move again? Pay attention, folks | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Is UConn on the move again? Pay attention, folks

Reaction Score
How about buying land near near their exit on I-84 if any is available. Build a stadium there instead of on campus. This would omit widening all of the roads to four lanes. Yes it is still off campus but a lot closer. Spend the renovation money for The Rent to build a multi stadium around the exit. Just a thought but why not.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It’s not just me

The one cost that presents a large hurdle is infrastructure improvements. Depending on the location, 10 miles or more of US 44 and Routes 32 and 195 will need to be widened from the two-lane roads that they are currently to reach US 6, I-84 and I-384. Most of these stretches are fronted mostly by houses and follow windy, hilly paths. The construction and land purchase costs would be substantial and could even exceed the cost of the stadium itself. As seen with other road projects in Connecticut, this can be a huge undertaking.

And remember Interstate 86 that was supposed to go parallel to Route 44? It got stopped dead in its tracks due to, I believe, a turtle nesting area. Good luck getting around the environmental and logistical problems not to mention how enjoyable the lawsuits will be when the State uses eminent domain to claim property to widen the roads for the football team
Well far be from me to question the engineering prowess of the "UConn Blog", but I will respectfully disagree. Ever been to a football or basketball game at Rutgers? That is a densely populated area with small roads that back up daily and yet getting out of there, even for a night game when people are hanging around to tailgate, is reasonable. Some roads become "one way" under the direction of officers who send people down designated routes to empty the stadium. If Rutty can manage it in an area with a population density approximately equal to Calcutta I'd like to believe that we can as well.

(Here's a pro tip... Don't be one of the lemmings that bail in the 3rd quarter to avoid traffic only to get stuck in the early exit traffic. Hang around listen to the band, maybe have someone to eat or a beverage. You will be less stressed and have virtually no traffic to deal with.)

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Well far be from me to question the engineering prowess of the "UConn Blog", but I will respectfully disagree. Ever been to a football or basketball game at Rutgers? That is a densely populated area with small roads that back up daily and yet getting out of there, even for a night game when people are hanging around to tailgate, is reasonable. Some roads become "one way" under the direction of officers who send people down designated routes to empty the stadium. If Rutty can manage it in an area with a population density approximately equal to Calcutta I'd like to believe that we can as well.

(Here's a pro tip... Don't be one of the lemmings that bail in the 3rd quarter to avoid traffic only to get stuck in the early exit traffic. Hang around listen to the band, maybe have someone to eat or a beverage. You will be less stressed and have virtually no traffic to deal with.)
Capital idea, Hannibal. :D

CL82

Reaction Score
Capital idea, Hannibal. :D
Haha, I didn't see that until your post. Well I guess just avoid the tailgates where your host says he'll bring a nice Chianti and some fava beans and all you need to do is bring yourself!

Reaction Score

Yes I have. Horrendous traffic in and around Piscataway/New Brunswick is considered normal flow. In fact all of NJ is pretty much a slow moving parking lot. Who in their right mind lives there?

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes I have. Horrendous traffic in and around Piscataway/New Brunswick is considered normal flow. In fact all of NJ is pretty much a slow moving parking lot. Who in their right mind lives there?
And yet they manage to move people out of the stadium after a game reasonably quickly.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Colin Cowherd, the USC/UCLA fan that refused to mention the UConn men’s team during their run to the championship? My husband listens to Cowherd but he was disgusted by the lack of respect for the Huskies.
Cowherd (to me), makes sense most of the time, but he's not perfect. He has his warts.......and his favorites. I take what he says tongue in cheek. Nonetheless, I do enjoy his show. My favorite daily sports talk show in that time period. For balance, I also listen to or watch ESPN's PTI, and Get Up.

Reaction Score
We'll see what the university decides but if it's just about money they should move

Reaction Score

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There’s noise on Twitter that UConn to the Big 12 is imminent. I’m actually ok with that since UCF is going to the Big 12 and I will be able to see our teams again.

As of today, the 2025 teams in the Big 12 will be:
  • Baylor
  • BYU
  • Central Florida
  • Cincinnati
  • Houston
  • Iowa State
  • Kansas
  • Kansas State
  • Oklahoma State
  • TCU
  • Texas Tech
  • West Virginia
Rumors of UConn, Colorado, possibly Utah and Arizona

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There’s noise on Twitter that UConn to the Big 12 is imminent. I’m actually ok with that since UCF is going to the Big 12 and I will be able to see our teams again.

• Baylor
  • BYU
  • Central Florida
  • Cincinnati
  • Houston
  • Iowa State
  • Kansas
  • Kansas State
  • Oklahoma State
  • TCU
  • Texas Tech
  • West Virginia
Rumors of UConn, Colorado, possibly Utah
Yup. The SEC, the B1G, and the Big 12 are then going to raid the ACC. For the long term health of the UCONN athletics program, this is a no brainer to me.

Reaction Score
It's a really tough choice for UConn administrators. Leaving the BE costs about $30 millions exit fee. Stay in BE and the football program will be an independent and no where to go. UConn athletics is +50 millions in the red already. Frankly as a BB fan I just think joining the B12 is the way to go if and when an invite comes. I know the the BE has special hold for many but UConn is more than a BB school.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The ACC, SEC, and Big 10 are going to raid the Big East anyway and the best teams will be in those conferences. Staying in the Big East means playing Seton Hall and Marquette with perhaps some A10 and America East leftovers in empty arenas

Reaction Score
The ACC, SEC, and Big 10 are going to raid the Big East anyway and the best teams will be in those conferences. Staying in the Big East means playing Seton Hall and Marquette with perhaps some A10 and America East leftovers in empty arenas
I can't imagine the SEC or Big 10 ever taking any Big East teams.

Reaction Score

• Baylor
  • BYU
  • Central Florida
  • Cincinnati
  • Houston
  • Iowa State
  • Kansas
  • Kansas State
  • Oklahoma State
  • TCU
  • Texas Tech
  • West Virginia
Rumors of UConn, Colorado, possibly Utah and Arizona
Husky Nan- - - At the first announcement that UCONN might get an invite from the Big 12 I was really against it, but if the Big 12 can get Colorado, Utah, and AZ, I would be in favor of THAT invite!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Besides UConn, what other school in the Big East would a major conference want?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Why would football-intensive conferences be interested in raiding the Big East, given that (as far as I know) no Big East school other than UConn even has a football program? As has been stated repeatedly, "Football drives the bus."

As for the UConn athletic program's $40-50 million annual loss, I wonder what that loss would be if the football program were put into a respectful but permanent rest? I suspect that the financial loss would be much easier to swallow in that case.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Besides UConn, what other school in the Big East would a major conference want?
Villanova, for one. The have a decent, not great, football team that won the FCS in 2009. They could potentially upgrade.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Don't think WBB isn't a good part of UConn's appeal to the Big 12. Maybe not in the article your referring to but I've seen mentions in other articles.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Don't think WBB isn't a good part of UConn's appeal to the Big 12. Maybe not in the article your referring to but I've seen mentions in other articles.
Actually, the total number of championships is a draw - men’s soccer, both hoops, and field hockey; baseball in consecutive World Series, etc

Reaction Score
I think the Big12 situation can become more attractive if they can get a cohort of schools in the east to address travel challenges. These super conferences still don't seem to be addressing the travel issues..... are they going to fund charters for all sports?

CL82

Reaction Score
Disagree. UConn woman's basketball has tremendous brand value, and that is well known. It's not enough to get us in the door as a standalone, but it is certainly "talked about" and certainly adds value to the University.

sun

Reaction Score
Actually, the total number of championships is a draw - men’s soccer, both hoops, and field hockey; baseball in consecutive World Series, etc
The Big 12 doesn't sponsor men's soccer but it does sponsor women's soccer.
Men's soccer would need to affiliate with another conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom