Is UConn on the move again? Pay attention, folks | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Is UConn on the move again? Pay attention, folks

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Couldn’t the Big 10 go after UConn once they’ve joined the Big 12. The worst case scenario is happening right now, which is being in the Big East. Get out of the Big East now before the ship sinks.
The Big East is a basketball league and will always survive. So, if they do what you want, they will have to pay an exit fee to the BE, and another exit fee to the Big 12. What sense does that make?

Reaction Score
The Big East is a basketball league and will always survive. So, if they do what you want, they will have to pay an exit fee to the BE, and another exit fee to the Big 12. What sense does that make?
For $55 million per year, I think it’s well worth it.

Reaction Score
We are headed to a BIG 2. The SEC and BIG will be the heavyweights of the future, and moving now would be a massive mistake. The BIG12 will end up going along the same lines as the AAC, plus the travel will be the same with those Texas schools. The ACC is in trouble with multiple schools wanting to leave. I think UConn should move only if the BIG comes calling. Wouldn't fit in the SEC, as they would probably mock us to death with our football program no matter how good they get. As far as WBB, playing Indiana, Ohio State, Iowa, UCLA, USC, and Michigan would be challenging and fun. Right now stay where we are safe and comfortable until the right offer comes along. The BIG.
Don't forget Maryland.

Reaction Score
You mean the fans that actually buy tickets and go to games?
Put the stadium (40,000 to 50,000 seats) at the Sherman family sports complex. Turn Lot L and the other one by it into three story garages. Clear the woods across from Ellsworth dorm and put in another three story parking garage. Parking problem solved. Remember, students will not be driving to games anymore so that is a lot of cars not being driven to games.

Reaction Score
Would have to add lanes just to prevent logjams
So widen 44 from where the 4 lanes end the rest of the way out. If North Carolina can build a 4 lane highway up to the highest peaks east of the Rockies, Conn can expand a highway.
Would have to add lanes just to prevent logjams

sun

Reaction Score
So widen 44 from where the 4 lanes end the rest of the way out. If North Carolina can build a 4 lane highway up to the highest peaks east of the Rockies, Conn can expand a highway.
The layout and structure of Pratt & Whitney Stadium allows it to be expanded to add 20,000 seats for a capacity of 60,000.

--------------------------------------------------------------
United Technologies Corp. and the State of Connecticut extended a naming rights agreement in more ways than one Thursday. An original agreement struck in 2000 ran through 2018; this one runs through 2030. And the naming rights extends the name, from Rentschler Field to Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field.

As part of the new agreement UTC also will give the state 10 acres of land for additional parking at the stadium as well as provide an easement for the use of 15 acres adjacent to existing stadium parking.

UTC now has given a total of 150 acres of land for the stadium and parking.

Reaction Score
The layout and structure of Pratt & Whitney Stadium allows it to be expanded to add 20,000 seats for a capacity of 60,000.

United Technologies Corp. and the State of Connecticut extended a naming rights agreement in more ways than one Thursday. An original agreement struck in 2000 ran through 2018; this one runs through 2030. And the naming rights extends the name, from Rentschler Field to Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field.

As part of the new agreement UTC also will give the state 10 acres of land for additional parking at the stadium as well as provide an easement for the use of 15 acres adjacent to existing stadium parking.

And pledged/spent how many actual $$?

Donating land they weren't using and probably weren't going to use (and got a tax liability off their balance sheet) is one thing. Funding a P5 staff in perpetuity is something else entirely. A first class coaching staff is an asset that what will keep the program relevant and get P5 eyes looking at Storrs. Even the B1G will put us in their upper tier of "possibles" if we get the coaching right. Man up (if I'm allowed to use that term on this board) UTC.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 is losing both Oklahoma and Texas but it still will be a stronger WBB conference than the Big East...............would be great for recruiting in the Midwest and Soutwest too but that's a whole lot of travel..........I'd wait and see what happens with the ACC before I did anything....

Let us not jump un5il the smoke has cleared. The next frying pan may not be as good as the BE. I like where we are. Uconn, for the foreseeable future will not be a Football powerhouse. Something to be said for being the big dog in a tiny pond---or moving to one who shunned you?

Reaction Score
Let us not jump un5il the smoke has cleared. The next frying pan may not be as good as the BE. I like where we are. Uconn, for the foreseeable future will not be a Football powerhouse. Something to be said for being the big dog in a tiny pond---or moving to one who shunned you?
I agree but sadly it appears that a program's recruiting success is going to be based as much on maximum NIL dollars and marketing potential as it is on a school's great history, wonderful coaching staff, and super close teammates.......... if UConn ever gets left behind because of non-basketball factors it will be incredibly disappointing.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Put the stadium (40,000 to 50,000 seats) at the Sherman family sports complex. Turn Lot L and the other one by it into three story garages. Clear the woods across from Ellsworth dorm and put in another three story parking garage. Parking problem solved. Remember, students will not be driving to games anymore so that is a lot of cars not being driven to games.
You think that there is actually any support out there to do this for 6 games a year? Outside of the half-dozen of you on the Boneyard. This is "how to make a million dollars and not pay taxes" level stuff.

Reaction Score

It's still not an on campus stadium. Wanna get into a big conference, gotta be on campus.

sun

Reaction Score
It's still not an on campus stadium. Wanna get into a big conference, gotta be on campus.
The University of Miami doesn't have a stadium on campus, and they don't have enough students to fill one.
They play at a stadium with a capacity of 85,000 where Super Bowls have been played.
The UConn campus is like a ghost town on weekends because so many students go home.
And Saturdays are usually when UConn home games are played.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would give an OK, personnal point, it's cool to be back in the Big East but it's not the old BE, why not go to a P5 conference ?
But I Think the school decision, or conference decision, will not depend on women's basketball, but more on football
There's no joy in BE membership. The last time UConn was a member the school was effectively expelled. A couple teams "withdrew", and the next thing you know, a couple remaining programs effectively stole all of the conference trademarks and intellectual property.

In a perfect world, UConn finds a new conference and the departure results in the bankruptcy of the Catholic Schools

sun

Reaction Score
The 1970s called. They want your recollection of UConn as a suitcase college back.
It wasn't much different when 2 of my kids graduated from UConn 11 & 13 years ago.
There were still the Friday traffic jams created by kids going home for the weekend.
There's also buses to Hartford that leave Storrs every hour from 6 am until 11 pm that get filled by the exodus..
None of my kids will even watch the Super Bowl, they're not interested in watching any sports at all because they have other hobbies.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I just don't think that the Big 12 is the right fit and UConn should hold out for a better offer. What does UConn have in common with any of those schools? The travel would be brutal just like the AAC all over again with modest gain in overall RPI. The ACC is a better scenario or just remain in the BE.
It’s not like the conferences are fighting over UConn. Speculation is that there will be 3 super conferences, then two conferences at the next level, then everyone else. The SEC, Big 10 and Big 12 will be in the first tier

Reaction Score
It wasn't much different when 2 of my kids graduated from UConn 11 & 13 years ago.
There were still the Friday traffic jams created by kids going home for the weekend.
There's also buses to Hartford that leave Storrs every hour from 6 am until 11 pm that get filled by the exodus..
None of my kids will even watch the Super Bowl, they're not interested in watching any sports at all because they have other hobbies.
And my daughter, graduated in 2004, had a car on campus, and never came home on weekends.

sun

Reaction Score
And my daughter, graduated in 2004, had a car on campus, and never came home on weekends.
Even if the whole campus stayed & went to the football games, the students couldn't fill a new football stadium.
The decision to make East Hartford the home of Huskies football was made years ago & the reasons are still the same now as they were then.
UConn students can drive to the football games or take a bus or an Uber.
They attend multiple UConn campuses statewide & they pay student fees that support the football team & athletics.
The state isn't going to build a new highway or a stadium anytime soon so that 50K fans can drive to Storrs to watch 6 home football games per year.
Especially since the current stadium can be expanded.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Neither of the last 2 teams to get in to the Big 10 play on campus.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't fit in the SEC, as they would probably mock us to death with our football program no matter how good they get.
No attack but if you get good and start winning games there is no mocking. ;)
Don't expand the Rent! Build on campus!!!
Another, just a disagreement. At this time there is no place for a football stadium on campus or access roads to get to one. The suggestions of parking garages are simply silly.
I could be wrong but have never seen or attended a tailgate in a parking garage. It is very much a part of the football game day experience. And I am sure not allowed in a parking garage or space for it.
love our home games where they are, should that change my season tickets purchase would also.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Another, just a disagreement. At this time there is no place for a football stadium on campus or access roads to get to one. The suggestions of parking garages are simply silly.
I could be wrong but have never seen or attended a tailgate in a parking garage. It is very much a part of the football game day experience. And I am sure not allowed in a parking garage or space for it.
love our home games where they are, should that change my season tickets purchase would also.
Can you imagine the traffic on Routes 44 and 195? It is not easy to get to Storrs

Reaction Score
Can you imagine the traffic on Routes 44 and 195? It is not easy to get to Storrs
Traffic is a semi-nightmare for basketball games. About 10,000 people and a good chunk of those live on campus. Multiply that traffic by 4 or 5. Makes my head hurt thinking about it.

By the way, when did they put a building in my beloved "X" lot? Used to be my favorite spot to park on campus. Easy in, easy out.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The vast majority of college campuses don't have a limited access highway off ramp leading to the front gates and yet, somehow, they manage to have College football games. Tailgating feathers traffic both before and after the game. Smart traffic management will help dramatically as well.

This isn't aimed at you Nan but sometimes our fanbase has such a "can't do" attitude. Yankee pessimism, I guess.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

There's plenty of room for outdoor parking around the stadium in the Athletic Campus. The added parking would make parking for other athletic events easier as well and becomes the 'visitor' lot during the week. That's how Penn State does it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The vast majority of college campuses don't have a limited access highway off ramp leading to the front gates and yet, somehow, they manage to have College football games. Tailgating feathers traffic both before and after the game. Smart traffic management will help dramatically as well.

This isn't aimed at you Nan but sometimes our fanbase has such a "can't do" attitude. Yankee pessimism, I guess.
It’s not just me

The one cost that presents a large hurdle is infrastructure improvements. Depending on the location, 10 miles or more of US 44 and Routes 32 and 195 will need to be widened from the two-lane roads that they are currently to reach US 6, I-84 and I-384. Most of these stretches are fronted mostly by houses and follow windy, hilly paths. The construction and land purchase costs would be substantial and could even exceed the cost of the stadium itself. As seen with other road projects in Connecticut, this can be a huge undertaking.

And remember Interstate 86 that was supposed to go parallel to Route 44? It got stopped dead in its tracks due to, I believe, a turtle nesting area. Good luck getting around the environmental and logistical problems not to mention how enjoyable the lawsuits will be when the State uses eminent domain to claim property to widen the roads for the football team

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom