Is UConn on the move again? Pay attention, folks | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Is UConn on the move again? Pay attention, folks

Reaction Score
Husky Nan- - - At the first announcement that UCONN might get an invite from the Big 12 I was really against it, but if the Big 12 can get Colorado, Utah, and AZ, I would be in favor of THAT invite!
Being mentioned on sports radio that Memphis is now under consideration! All very interesting and confusing!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I kind of feel like you're shouting at yourself in the mirror. I don't think anyone, anywhere, anytime has ever said that women's basketball, even Connecticut women's basketball, is going to cause a P5, which is a football designation, conference to invite a university to join, but it is similarly silly to suggest that conferences aren't aware of the brand value of UConn women's basketball. It has outdrawn pro sports on television. Let me say that again has outdrawn pro sports on television. I believe the current SNY deal to broadcast their games is worth $1.5 million. If you think Brett Yormark that isn't aware of both of those facts, you are underestimating him.

Reaction Score
Get where you are coming from. If wcbb basketball played any major role in conference makeup the old BE would have never been broken up. That was an incredible collection of talented teams and UCONN wcbb ruled the roost. No need to lineup strong out of conference opponents, we had tons of really great games in conference every season.

Reaction Score
Yes, the Big 12 will have money to offer UConn. But is jumping on it now the right time? Sometimes waiting is the better option. The ACC may be in trouble but they just sort of kissed and made up for the time being. The ACC family feud will start up again. The Big 10 or whatever they call themselves along with the SEC they will control what takes place within the college football dynamics. We all know that. You will have the Magnificent Seven (what a dumb ass nickname) jumping ship before we know it. That would leave the "Uninspiring Seven" to find a new home. Would Boston College, Duke, Georgia Tech; Louisville; Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Wake Forest stick together and keep the ACC brand name then expand. That would be a pretty wild scenario. Maybe UConn might be open to a Big East Football Conference reunion? I'm sure that Memphis, South Florida and Temple would chime in. Then possibly Tulane if you want to go that far West. You would hit a bunch of major markets. And basketball would still be awesome. Yes this is far fetched but its just a simple thought. Lets see what happens down the road. But UConn in the Big 12 doesn't work for me.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Why should or would we wait on the ACC. They have made it clear we are not on their radar.

Our former conference mates, BC, Miami, Pitt, Syracuse and maybe ND, have made it clear that UConn is not wanted.

If the ACC breaks up, Clemson, Florida State, GT, and possibly NC and Virginia are gone. That doesn't leave much of a conference.

UConn's administration of the past has been small minded, in my opinion, in it's decisions about D1 athletics. They have not seen the big picture. More concerned with the New England aspect of college athletics which will get you no where.

If the Big 12 comes calling with a full membership offer to join, it would be complete insanity to turn it down.

We have been hearing the crying and whining on this board that UConn deserves and has earned a seat at the P5 table. That time may be now. To sit and wait to see how things shake out over the next couple of years is nutz!!!!!!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Get where you are coming from. If wcbb basketball played any major role in conference makeup the old BE would have never been broken up. That was an incredible collection of talented teams and UCONN wcbb ruled the roost. No need to lineup strong out of conference opponents, we had tons of really great games in conference every season.
Actually the men's basketball teams ruled the Big East and the nation. When Geno talked about the ADs destroying the best basketball conference ever he was talking about the men. People flew in from everywhere to sit in Madison Square Garden and watch the men go to war.

Yes, the women's conference was good, but it had a lower end that was pretty low.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
UConn will field a high calibre football team when pigs fly. Influential alumni and the lust for a P5 pay check keep UConn chasing the dream. The huge deficit makes chasing the dream a worthwhile endeavor ... for a time.

Reaction Score
Why should or would we wait on the ACC. They have made it clear we are not on their radar.

Our former conference mates, BC, Miami, Pitt, Syracuse and maybe ND, have made it clear that UConn is not wanted.

If the ACC breaks up, Clemson, Florida State, GT, and possibly NC and Virginia are gone. That doesn't leave much of a conference.

UConn's administration of the past has been small minded, in my opinion, in it's decisions about D1 athletics. They have not seen the big picture. More concerned with the New England aspect of college athletics which will get you no where.

If the Big 12 comes calling with a full membership offer to join, it would be complete insanity to turn it down.

We have been hearing the crying and whining on this board that UConn deserves and has earned a seat at the P5 table. That time may be now. To sit and wait to see how things shake out over the next couple of years is nutz!!!!!!!
I agree with your thoughts on UConn administration inaction or insufficient action to put the school in a better position vis-a-vis conference realignment. UConn's administration & leadership needed/still need to do two things: 1. Re-build football, which I'm sure everyone on this board is hopeful that we're seeing that work in progress with Jim Mora as head coach; and 2. Work on enhancing UConn's academic reputation by doing whatever it takes to earn AAU designation (Association of American Universities) because our state university deserves that recognition and because it can help with P5 conference appeal.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UConn will field a high calibre football team when pigs fly. Influential alumni and the lust for a P5 pay check keep UConn chasing the dream. The huge deficit makes chasing the dream a worthwhile endeavor ... for a time.
HC Jim Mora did more in 1 season than Pasqualoni, Diaco, and Edsall 2.0 did combined.
  1. He beat a ranked team
  2. He beat Boston College (the Huskies never had in football)
  3. He beat an FBS team not named UMass
  4. He finished the season 6-6 and got to a bowl
  5. He’s attracting transfers from Texas, Penn State, Alabama, Michigan, etc
  6. He accomplished 1-4 with a third string freshman quarterback and third string receivers after injuries ravaged the team.
Unlike the other guys, Mora isn’t going to let highly ranked in-state talent escape without giving his best try to recruit them. Mora schmoozes the local coaches and, as a more personable guy, has built an impressive recruiting network.

I hope to dig up your post in the future so I can razz you mercilessly :)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
HC Jim Mora did more in 1 season than Pasqualoni, Diaco, and Edsall 2.0 did combined.
  1. He beat a ranked team
  2. He beat Boston College (the Huskies never had in football)
  3. He beat an FBS team not named UMass
  4. He finished the season 6-6 and got to a bowl
  5. He’s attracting transfers from Texas, Penn State, Alabama, Michigan, etc
  6. He accomplished 1-4 with a third string freshman quarterback and third string receivers after injuries ravaged the team.
Unlike the other guys, Mora isn’t going to let highly ranked in-state talent escape without giving his best try to recruit them. Mora schmoozes the local coaches and, as a more personable guy, has built an impressive recruiting network.

I hope to dig up your post in the future so I can razz you mercilessly :)
Blessings upon you Nan and I would gladly take that razzing. Jim Mora is doing well, knock on wood, but I share an opinion with many that geography/climate/culture put the North behind the 8 ball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom