Is this a must win for Hurley? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Is this a must win for Hurley?

Reaction Score
2 years ago Bouknight pulled stinkers in our BET semi and in the game against Maryland. Last year many of the veterans played poorly in the BET semis and against New Mexico St. We need our best players to have big games when it counts. But be that as it may the Iona game is a must win. Period.
The kid was totally dehydrated and unable to walk. To call those stinkers is to ignore the fact he was physically unable to perform.

This was a strange year where Whaley also had a issue with dehydration. The university failed to take care of the kids. For some reason they got a pass and the kids were blamed. But something was terrible wrong.

Reaction Score
The worst thing about losing to Iona is that it takes all the fun out of our regular season next year. No matter how well we do, no matter what our ranking, no matter how exciting the freshmen are, there will be this great elephant in the room -- the dread that we'll implode in March -- and the more we dominate in the regular season, the greater will loom the impending disaster. We simply must defeat Iona.

Reaction Score
Yes. The first two games are now that Bilas picked us to win it all and a bunch of others picked us in the FF. It would be embarrassing to lose in the first weekend.

Reaction Score
minimum respectability is 16. dropping 2nd round to vcu/marys is unacceptable. I can live with losing to blockhead & the jayhawks or arkansas in a close game but still disappointed.

Reaction Score
I may be wrong but I sense that the fan base is nervous.
nervous of what?

B75A13DE-8778-4CA9-AA81-C1485151EF2B.gif

Reaction Score
To beat this to death, yes, we must beat Iona. If we don't, then a #4 KenPom doesn't mean anything, a #10 AP doesn't mean anything. respectable pundits predicting a Final Four doesn't mean anything, and if all that doesn't mean anything, then nothing that happens in the 23-24 regular season means anything. There will be no joy in it, nothing to give hope. It will just be a slow, agonizing "long walk" to the post-season and the hangman.

Reaction Score
Go play the game- UConn is one of the most talent laden team in the country. Win or lose it's not a must win ......end of program game

Reaction Score
Must win - obviously yes

But Hurley has this program ranked #10 in the country in March. His seat is not even remotely hot with a loss to Iona.

Reaction Score
To beat this to death, yes, we must beat Iona. If we don't, then a #4 KenPom doesn't mean anything, a #10 AP doesn't mean anything. respectable pundits predicting a Final Four doesn't mean anything, and if all that doesn't mean anything, then nothing that happens in the 23-24 regular season means anything. There will be no joy in it, nothing to give hope. It will just be a slow, agonizing "long walk" to the post-season and the hangman.

I can't imagine how some of you summon the courage to leave the house in the morning.

caw

Reaction Score
It was one of the worst performances I’ve ever seen in the NCAAs. You can make the excuses you want. How about the year after that? And then Hawkins and Andre’s no shows against Marquette?

We have to come to play this weekend. I hope Hurley has the guys prepared to do that.

Hawkins missed the NMSt game. Hurley sucks at keeping his guys healthy. Bet he smacked them on the head to make the concussions worse.

Seriously, there is a difference between having reasons and making up excuses. UConn had real reasons the past two years. Not saying a team can't win without their best/significant player injured but if they don't it is a legitimate reason.

I've said before, this is the first year (that we know of right at this moment) there is no good reason UConn shouldn't win at least the first round matchup, and there is a reasonable expectation to win the second round.

If you are going to blame Hurley for Hawkin's and Andre's no-show against Marquette, does he get credit for the guys who did play well and kept it to a 2 point margin against one of the best and hottest teams in the country? I would get this argument if UConn lost by double digits like X did but UConn didn't. They lost a close game against a very good team.

A good coach can only put his team in position to win the game, he can't win it for them. Hurley had UConn in position to win the Marquette game. UConn missed three open threes. Any one of those wins the game. That simple.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati fans used to complain all the time about how Cronin couldn’t win games in the tournament. All he did was get them to tournament every year. To have success in the tournament you need great players to win some close games for you. Also you need some luck. Now look at Cincinnati without him.

Regardless of what happens in the tournament I think Hurley has done a good job rebuilding the program, which has lead to getting better recruits. Next year he brings in his first top 25 player in Castle. This year we got Karaban and Clingan, who are a cut above the talent we had previously. Before that his success allowed him to get Jackson, Sanogo, and Hawkins, who were a cut above players he inherited from Ollie. Regardless oh what happens, this team is better than last year’s team.

If UConn loses this game I think it’s on the players not the coach. In particular I think it’s on the team captains to lead them to victory. I think Jackson, Sanogo, and Hawkins will lead us to victory.

UConn doesn’t need a brilliant coaching strategy to win this game. They just need their players to play loose and to do what they do. If we make to play Kansas, that’s where we need some killer strategy.
Frankly, Karaban and Clingan (Karaban especially) strike me as much more "winning" players than the older guys, even if Jackson and Hawkins are more talented.

Reaction Score
Is it a must win in that he'll be fired if we lose? No

Is it a must win in that he needs to finally show he can win in March? Yes

The last 2 years are understandable losses in the NCAA tournament, this year there's no excuses
We are considered FF & NC capable by most experts. We must win the first 2 matchups as clear favorites. All good programs get upset. We had ours last 2 years! We are a great team! Just do it!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom