Is this a must win for Hurley? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Is this a must win for Hurley?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Season after NIT Championship, fans expected and demanded JC get UConn into NCAA. Team didn’t make it, losing some close games at end of season. Again the boo birds came out and said Calhoun is never going to get thing team into NCAA.
JC was lucky the Yard didn't exist that year. There was no excuse not to make the Dance that year, he would have been fileted.

Reaction Score
JC was lucky the Yard didn't exist that year. There was no excuse not to make the Dance that year, he would have been fileted.
Not quite how we all remember it. We had won the NIT the year before, improved our Big East record and it was only his 3rd year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not quite how we all remember it. We had won the NIT the year before, improved our Big East record and it was only his 3rd year.
When you win the NIT and get everyone back including 2 NBA 1st rounders*, you should be making the dance the following year. Are you really saying fans back then were saying "well you know, we did go from 4-12 to 6-10 in the Big East? I'll tell you what they were saying on that bus ride back from PC: "Was that NIT run a fluke?"

* I know Cliff went in the 2nd round but everyone seems to think that was a terrible mistake. Or are you going to try and retcon that as well?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Did Calhoun have better talent than everyone else in his conference?
Cliff Robinson, Phil Gamble, Tate George, frosh Smitty and Sellers...there was talent but they never had it all together and underachieved.

The most significant thing that happened that season was Calhoun first tinkered with the full court press and trapping defense that would become a staple the next season.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Cliff Robinson, Phil Gamble, Tate George, frosh Smitty and Sellers...there was talent but they never had it all together and underachieved.

The most significant thing that happened that season was Calhoun first tinkered with the full court press and trapping defense that would become a staple the next season.
This is a genuine question as I wasn’t even alive at that time, but was that the best talent in the league? My assumption is that Georgetown was big then, maybe St John’s too. Because Hurley legitimately has the most talented roster in the league yet we’re finishing 4th place.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
This is a genuine question as I wasn’t even alive at that time, but was that the best talent in the league? My assumption is that Georgetown was big then, maybe St John’s too. Because Hurley legitimately has the most talented roster in the league yet we’re finishing 4th place.
No.

St. John's, Georgetown, Syracuse, Seton Hall, and Pitt all had top 20 recruiting classes in the previous few years. The Big East was loaded.

But the problem was we still couldn't win the games where we did have more talent.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
No, he wasn't. He was pretty well on the way to being the dude he is now by the time he got to Storrs.

What kind of lazy character assassination was that? "By all means," the dude was in MAINE playing basketball for Max Goode, attending class, and doing pretty much nothing else.

Reaction Score
It just amazes me that with a 25-8 record, top 25 team all year long, and nabbed a 4 seed and we have a team with a legit chance to make a title run and people are complaining.

Reaction Score
We were not even ranked in top 25 at start on season. UNC was #1 and they didn’t even make the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Yeah exactly - we arent old enough to remember. That’s the problem. It’s been 9 years since we’ve lived up to our potential. We like to claim we hang with the blue bloods but for all the younger UConn fans out there and the kids at school now and the ones looking at UConn, we don’t see it. We get pain every year. It would be nice to make a single run in a decade - I don’t think that’s too much to ask for considering the banners on the walls.

So should he be fired if he loses to Iona? Idk.that’s complicated by recruiting and financials but at some point you actually have to do the damn thing.
As others have correctly pointed out, he most certainly isn't getting fired if they flame out again Iona. Is he going to be surrounded by a very restless fanbase next season (after three first round NCAA losses as the favorite, three BE semifinal losses by 3 points or less, and a suboptimal record in close games from a large enough sample size to not be considered a statistical anomaly at this point)? Probably. Is he going to be firmly on the hot seat (with both fans and contractually) if he flames out again next year with a top 10 recruiting class? Quite likely.

Reaction Score
1678909547188.png

Reaction Score
As others have correctly pointed out, he most certainly isn't getting fired if they flame out again Iona. Is he going to be surrounded by a very restless fanbase next season (after three first round NCAA losses as the favorite, three BE semifinal losses by 3 points or less, and a suboptimal record in close games from a large enough sample size to not be considered a statistical anomaly at this point)? Probably. Is he going to be firmly on the hot seat (with both fans and contractually) if he flames out again next year with a top 10 recruiting class? Quite likely.
Couldn’t agree more.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Couldn’t agree more.
Only a handful evidently would.

Given the teams OOC performance and down the stretch, I have a certain expectation.

Reaction Score
If we idiotically fire Hurley - he’d get another job in the northeast - and kick our asses in recruiting. Do you really want to see him at St John’s, Nova, or SH? He’s becoming a better coach every year. I get the post season pressure but let’s not shoot ourselves in the foot.

Reaction Score
In just about every way. Except for the results thing. Let’s just gloss over that.
Ahhh getting high seeds is a step in the right direction that counts as results considering when he took over this team the team didn’t make the tournament for multiple years in a row & now has gotten a higher seed each year in the last 3.

Now as I said in my original post he needs to get better at winning the big game like the one against Iona this Friday. I Don’t think I gloss over much to be honest.

Orc

Reaction Score
I hope so. Jeff Capel from Pitt got his first tourney win last night and Pitt sucked every year before this season. It would be super embarrassing .

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Only a handful evidently would.

Given the teams OOC performance and down the stretch, I have a certain expectation.
Sunday evening can you let us know if you'll retain Hurley or if you're firing him.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If we idiotically fire Hurley - he’d get another job in the northeast - and kick our asses in recruiting. Do you really want to see him at St John’s, Nova, or SH? He’s becoming a better coach every year. I get the post season pressure but let’s not shoot ourselves in the foot.
The university can't afford to fire him and then bring in a stud coach. He just wouldn't get an extension

Reaction Score
When you win the NIT and get everyone back including 2 NBA 1st rounders*, you should be making the dance the following year. Are you really saying fans back then were saying "well you know, we did go from 4-12 to 6-10 in the Big East? I'll tell you what they were saying on that bus ride back from PC: "Was that NIT run a fluke?"

* I know Cliff went in the 2nd round but everyone seems to think that was a terrible mistake. Or are you going to try and retcon that as well?
On the bus you might have said that but not anyone I was talking to. And yes, Cliff should have never dropped the way he did, he was 1st round material.
BTW who was the 2nd 1st round pick on that team? The only 2 others drafted were George and Smith - both 2nd round and not that after that season. George wasn't in the conversation till after the 89-90 season and Smitty was only a freshman. So who's trying to revise history?

Reaction Score
I hope so. Jeff Capel from Pitt got his first tourney win last night and Pitt sucked every year before this season. It would be super embarrassing .

Who’s your team? I’m asking seriously, it’s impossible to tell from your posting history.

Reaction Score
I don’t really consider a First Four win as a tourney win. Hopefully UConn never plays in Dayton. It’s a playin win

Reaction Score
This "Hurley must win" talk reminds me of the burden JC carried for many years before winning the NC in 99.

Results do count but enjoy the journey too.
How many 5-12 upsets happened in JC’s early tenure? He also had 3 elite 8 and 3 sweet 16 before 99.

And we cannot compare DH to JC. JC built UConn from nothing. DH already standing on the shoulders of giants.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
He hasnt "won" anything in his 5 years here...No BE/BET titles, no Tourney wins...This is all about results. Sorry, thats the way it is if you want the school to be a big "player". If he loses to Iona, then yes, he deserves the hot seat and implications it may have to his coaching rope, coaching strategy, recruiting, etc.
He won the PK Invitational pretty good field in that one!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom