Is there a plan B | The Boneyard

Is there a plan B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just for the sake of wondering,if the Huskies,do not get any of the targets that have been offered for 2013,is there a back-up plan,to go lower in the rankings for acceptable players to keep that year from being a one or none recruits.Seems to me Stef's class had no top five recruit,yet Stef has done real well,and has promise.Is there anyone offered,or whom Geno has shown interest in,that seems to be leaing towards the Huskies?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Stef was never part of a back up plan, but HG never rated her high enough given what she's done. So far only one player (DD) that had a UConn offer has committed elsewhere, so the coaches may think it's a little early for a backup plan. Or they may already have one that we don't know about.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Yup. And there is a very strong liklihood that Geno may pull another Stef rabbit out of his hat; someone under the radar who fits the description of a Husky. At least until next year's frosh have graduated, the road to the NC goes through Storrs. (I said at least.)

Reaction Score
When Samarie Walker committed she was ranked #1. Dolson was #10 when she committed and the highest ranked post player. Hartley was #3 and Michala Johnson was #14 or 18. We got all of our plan A recruits in 2010.

There are still many very good players in the 2013 class. Let's see where they go.

Reaction Score
There is no plan B.

DD and Taya Reimer are going elsewhere.

Now sit tight and watch Hatchell convert a silk purse into a sow's ear.

U

UCONNfan1

with all due respect, I am sure Geno is recruiting more than 5 girls
Maybe, maybe not. UCONN traditionally has cast a narrow net and focused on a smaller number of players that they are really interested in. If/when it appears one or more of them are going to go elsewhere, they regroup and expand the search.

To be specific in this case, they were originally looking at Reimer, Diamond, and Karlie Samuelson. They also took a look at Russell, but either she wasn't interested, or we weren't, as well as Tucker and Mavunga. Geno even offered Taya a scholarship. but as time went on, it appeared her interest waned, and Geno was less than impressed with her level of play.

So either one side, or both, seemed to lose interest. at that point the staff moved onto Erica McCall. I haven't heard boo about Samuelson, but suddenly Chong blows up and UCONN gets involved, and then even more recently, they are supposedly looking at Linnae Harper.

I wouldn't be too concerned though. i wouldn't call it "plan A or B", but the evolution of the recruiting class...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
that is a start, I am sure Geno is recruiting more than 5 girls
I don't think so. Geno doesn't recruit warm bodies just so he can sign X number of recruits; he has specific criteria that must be met, including fitting into the team chemistry, being a good student and of good character, and, obviously, being talented. He has said that there are plenty of great players that meet some, but not all, of his criteria which makes recruiting very tough.

He's done the "warm body" thing a couple of times, btw. Didn't work out. One kid rode the bench for 4 years; another transferred out.

Reaction Score
I don't think so. Geno doesn't recruit warm bodies just so he can sign X number of recruits; he has specific criteria that must be met, including fitting into the team chemistry, being a good student and of good character, and, obviously, being talented. He has said that there are plenty of great players that meet some, but not all, of his criteria which makes recruiting very tough.

He's done the "warm body" thing a couple of times, btw. Didn't work out. One kid rode the bench for 4 years; another transferred out.

Is character/ attitude the key, it looks like there are several good players uncommitted. I count 9 players returning in 2013 , and the back court looks thin.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
So, what happened with Russell? Does anyone know?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Recruits seem to be like my potential dates. They look great until they seem disinterested and then I notice the warts on their face.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
UNC has a monster class in 2013. But is it a better class, based on rankings and player ratings, than UConn's 2012 class? Me thinks not.

No, but if they happen to snag Russell, then there can be a definite argument as to which class is better. Though I agree with the bulk of the posters... UCONN doesnt have anything to worry about in the near future.... Duke, Maryland, and Tenn.... well thats a different story altogether.

Reaction Score
I believe plan B is to win two or three championships in the next four years and see what happens after that.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
UNC has a monster class in 2013. But is it a better class, based on rankings and player ratings, than UConn's 2012 class? Me thinks not.
Exactly, Cam. Add to it the previous class in Storrs and there is no doubt.

Reaction Score
The way I see it, North Carolina's best chance to win The National Championship will be when their 2013 class are seniors. I think UCONN will be the favorite to win the other three years.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
And that best chance comes with a lot of "ifs". Transfers, injuries, players not developing...lots of caveats with that. Who would have thought that Tiff would be the ONLY member of that heralded class to actually play four years in a row?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

I agree Cam,and it is going to be just plain fun to watch this evolve.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Hatchell can have all top 100 recruits in the class of 2013, and I still would not trade for UCONN'S BIG THREE...I base this on the validity of experience derived performance, athletic ability, attitude, proven competitive nature, and the willingness to embrace an intact and proven program that fits their future goals and present passions. There will be no drama or individual issues. The Stinko De Mayo brouhaha is already in my rear view mirror.

Reaction Score
Plan B, C, etc,

I'm sure there is a heart & soul player out there just like Kelly Faris flying a little under the radar. Geno & staff will find her.

Reaction Score
Hatchell can have all top 100 recruits in the class of 2013, and I still would not trade for UCONN'S BIG THREE...I base this on the validity of experience derived performance, athletic ability, attitude, proven competitive nature, and the willingness to embrace an intact and proven program that fits their future goals and present passions. There will be no drama or individual issues. The Stinko De Mayo brouhaha is already in my rear view mirror.
that is Hatchell's plan, sign 100, put 85 on football scholarship, and 15 on basketball scholarship. Then Survivor Chapel Hill begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom