Is there a plan B | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is there a plan B

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Now that is why I started to read this board, humor, I love it.

I also agree that the game will be played on the court and have little faith in the predictions of rankings, it's not who you sign as much as how they fit in and what you do with them, coaching being the biggest element.

As a grandpa who always tells his kids and grandchildren to treat others the way you would expect to be treated, ie with respect, I just find the obvious way both sides offered and verballed knowing the domino affect on other families this would have, makes me feel very sad.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Now that is why I started to read this board, humor, I love it.

I also agree that the game will be played on the court and have little faith in the predictions of rankings, it's not who you sign as much as how they fit in and what you do with them, coaching being the biggest element.

As a grandpa who always tells his kids and grandchildren to treat others the way you would expect to be treated, ie with respect, I just find the obvious way both sides offered and verballed knowing the domino affect on other families this would have, makes me feel very sad.

Wallman, great post on two counts.

Yes, coaching can trump talent if you have enough talent. Geno has learned it's all about fitting in, but it doesn't hurt if they fit in and are #1, #2, and #6.

And I'm feeling sad for whoever gets the short end of the stick at UNC. It's just not right.

HGN

Reaction Score
We really don't need a lot........Maybe a couple of key position fills. And those key position fills don't necessarily have to be with 5-Star players. So we lost a couple of recruits , it happens. And it will undoubtedly happen again. We will have what we need to get to the FF and beyond for the next 2-3 years. Geno and CD look for talent as well as chemistry fits. There are many talented players out there that Geno won't touch because he doesn't think they will fir in chemistry wise. NC may indeed get a huge haul........Talent wise, chosen by a player or 2. (Not by the coaches.) But may not fit in with the returning players chemistry wise.

Only time will tell.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Good point, there is a lot of talent in this class, it is very deep at the guard position for example, and there are definitely players who just cannot play team ball, which is necessary to get to a final four, Rutgers comes to mind, if my memory serves me.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The way I see it, North Carolina's best chance to win The National Championship will be when their 2013 class are seniors. I think UCONN will be the favorite to win the other three years.

Or they could pull a "Maryland" and win one as freshmen and never win another one. They could end up with the best team chemistry we have ever seen in wbb and dominate their entire careers. Who knows how it will go. I will certainly be interesting to see how it plays out. There will be NO question who the team leader is.

This team may be one that doesn't need to be overcoached, so they may have found the exact fit that is right for them. CViv has had some incredible talent that, IMO, was overcoached. They were forced to play in an offense that didn't allow them to use their athleticism to their benefit. It sounds as if this UNC group wants to be the LA Lakers of women's basketball and really get up and down the court. Whoever keeps the stats on turnovers better sharpen up their no. 2 pencils.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Or they could pull a "Maryland" and win one as freshmen and never win another one. They could end up with the best team chemistry we have ever seen in wbb and dominate their entire careers. Who knows how it will go. I will certainly be interesting to see how it plays out. There will be NO question who the team leader is.

This team may be one that doesn't need to be overcoached, so they may have found the exact fit that is right for them. CViv has had some incredible talent that, IMO, was overcoached. They were forced to play in an offense that didn't allow them to use their athleticism to their benefit. It sounds as if this UNC group wants to be the LA Lakers of women's basketball and really get up and down the court. Whoever keeps the stats on turnovers better sharpen up their no. 2 pencils.

Defense. There are two parts of the game and coaches need to coach defense. I haven't seen that from Hatchell.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Good point, there is a lot of talent in this class, it is very deep at the guard position for example, and there are definitely players who just cannot play team ball, which is necessary to get to a final four, Rutgers comes to mind, if my memory serves me.
Hmmm. Geno to the contrary, mebbe you CAN have too many guards.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Another factor I haven't see mentioned (maybe I missed it); here you have four, maybe five, players coming in as a self-defined "band of sisters" (my invented term)) How is that going to play with the established players, the other 2013 commits (if any of them remain at NC) and possible later years' recruits? Maybe it will all work out, but there seems to me to be a considerable chance of hard feelings and in-group out-group resentments, which might throw some sand into the gears. (I hope that this will not be considered harmful specuation. It will, indeed, be interesting to watch.)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Another factor I haven't see mentioned (maybe I missed it); here you have four, maybe five, players coming in as a self-defined "band of sisters" (my invented term)) How is that going to play with the established players, the other 2013 commits (if any of them remain at NC) and possible later years' recruits? Maybe it will all work out, but there seems to me to be a considerable chance of hard feelings and in-group out-group resentments, which might throw some sand into the gears. (I hope that this will not be considered harmful specuation. It will, indeed, be interesting to watch.)

Watch the magnificent HBO series, "Band of Brothers" (Shakespeare's term, applied to Easy Company of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment via historian Stephen Ambrose). The replacements who joined this outfit (and there were a lot of them) in Europe were not welcomed by the Toccoa vets as brethren but rather given a chilly -- even resentful -- reception as Johnny-come-latelies. I don't see an exact parallel, of course, but I couldn't resist picking up on that "band of sisters" line.

Reaction Score
There's never a Plan B. That's how it happens that occasionally the Huskies will end up with a class such as the one that at least started out as Kelly only. I know Geno's talked about not letting that happen again, but there's no sign that he's changed his approach significantly in order to make that happen.

HGN

Reaction Score
Easttexastrash, They may indeed be great as freshmen.......But I will put our sophomore/junior led team up against them any day of the week. And for 2 years ( their freshman and sophomore years) the road to the NC will run through UConn. NC has 1/3 of the puzzle solved. They will have talent. The other 2/3's of the puzzle will be the question. Coaching and Chemistry. Will they be able to play together ? Will ego's get in the way ? Can they play defense ? NC will have about 9 returning players in the fall of 2013 , will they be willing to step aside for the so-called Fab-Five?

I believe Hatchell to be a good coach. But she really didn't put this 2013 Class together as much as someone else did. So let's see if she can mold them into a Championship team in their 4 years. Personally , I just don't see 5 freshmen starting. Especially when 4 of the 5 was hand selected by one of the 5.

Only time will tell.

Reaction Score
Easttexastrash, They may indeed be great as freshmen.......But I will put our sophomore/junior led team up against them any day of the week. And for 2 years ( their freshman and sophomore years) the road to the NC will run through UConn. NC has 1/3 of the puzzle solved. They will have talent. The other 2/3's of the puzzle will be the question. Coaching and Chemistry. Will they be able to play together ? Will ego's get in the way ? Can they play defense ? NC will have about 9 returning players in the fall of 2013 , will they be willing to step aside for the so-called Fab-Five?

I believe Hatchell to be a good coach. But she really didn't put this 2013 Class together as much as someone else did. So let's see if she can mold them into a Championship team in their 4 years. Personally , I just don't see 5 freshmen starting. Especially when 4 of the 5 was hand selected by one of the 5.

Only time will tell.

I hope the five freshmen do start because they will have their head handed to them by experienced teams.

HGN

Reaction Score
Am
I hope the five freshmen do start because they will have their head handed to them by experienced teams.
Amen to that Connboy77....And being down in the Bible Belt they will get that preached to them a lot. That experience counts no matter how much talent you have.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Well there may be 6 freshman which will guarantee at least one of them will not start. They will all learn the difference between college ball and AAU ball and college coaching and AAU coaching.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Even as freshmen, they will be very, very good.

But for three years, those UNC freshmen will have to deal with "Tuck, Jeff, and Stew" (sorry, cannot remember the creative nicknames for this class, and "tuck, duck, and roll" popped into my head). And though I loathe UNC with a fiery passion, I think I can be pretty objective in saying that Geno is a vastly superior Xs and Os coach to Hatchell and will get more out of his three, both in terms of individual player development and team wins, than UNC's recent haul.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score

But for three years, those UNC freshmen will have to deal with "Tuck, Jeff, and Stew" (sorry, cannot remember the creative nicknames for this class, and "tuck, duck, and roll" popped into my head). And though I loathe UNC with a fiery passion, I think I can be pretty objective in saying that Geno is a vastly superior Xs and Os coach to Hatchell and will get more out of his three, both in terms of individual player development and team wins, than UNC's recent haul.
All true, and Geno won't be getting chopped liver in 2013 and beyond, either.

Reaction Score

Noone is saying that UNC'S freshmen won't be very, very good, but unlike teams like UCONN, Baylor, and Duke, they won't have experienced skilled upper classmen to bail them out when they make costly misstakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom